Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

c++14 has VLAs and std::dynarray as a wrapper around VLAs but implementations don't have to allocate them on the stack

must be cool not knowing whether your vla has been declared on the heap or not

C++14 is bad

C++14 has make_unique, std::optional, and generic lambdas

my body is ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i really wish i could use c++11 at work

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
even if i could, i wouldn't be surprised if work disabled half the features anyway for compilation time reasons

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
there is a project here that quietly includes -ftemplate-depth=4000

they gave up on build times a long time ago

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

this new xamarin + parse stuff looks amazing, brb building a million generic CRUD apps a second all in C# :toot:

C# makes me happy therefore xamarin makes me happy. I almost have an iOS app ready for App Store deployment :dance:

Just bought resharper so I am extra happy.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
the only sad thaing about xamarin is that the business tier with VS is super expensive so u can't really justify it as an indie dev (not that u need it, its just nice)

everything else owns owns owns

also i spent days trying to figure out code generated db stuff with ADO.NET and WCF service to make a quick API and got it like 99% working, got stuck on the last bit and gave up for a while

then i discovered parse and that you can literally abstract all of those things away ~~to the cloud~~ in baiscally one method call. this owns owns owns

yeah sure it's probably gonna have some loltastic issues when you hit web scale but whatever

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 26, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the only sad thaing about xamarin is that the business tier with VS is super expensive so u can't really justify it as an indie dev (not that u need it, its just nice)

everything else owns owns owns

also i spent days trying to figure out code generated db stuff with ADO.NET and WCF service to make a quick API and got it like 99% working, got stuck on the last bit and gave up for a while

then i discovered parse and that you can literally abstract all of those things away ~~to the cloud~~ in baiscally one method call. this owns owns owns

yeah sure it's probably gonna have some loltastic issues when you hit web scale but whatever

like anything you ever write will actually hit web scale

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

well yeah exactly who cares

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
my posts are web scale

they are read by thousands of people each day

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i did a some kind of scale deployment a couple weekends ago, sent the $50/month heroku postgres literally dozens of hits per second

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

how hard actually is scaled load testing

like if you know you're going to have 10k people using your service to do a defined thing at a certain time, this is trivial to simulate right

im just curious becuase my university says every year its figured out how to do it for their results/module enrolment systems and every year they still fail hilariously

e: despite staggering it by year groups this year too lol

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Probably literally impossible

Might as well run prime95, script to select and update 100000000 times, and memtest on the server then try hitting F5 on the site over and over with profiler on.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
ArenaNet used Amazon's cloud to run a bunch of bots running guild wars 2 to do load testing, they did it so much they had to figure out ways to avoid the Amazon police who thought they used to much cloud fluff or whatever.
Their launch still sucked, also Blizzard still can't do it right and they should have had some practice by now.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
there is no webscale

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

how hard actually is scaled load testing

like if you know you're going to have 10k people using your service to do a defined thing at a certain time, this is trivial to simulate right

im just curious becuase my university says every year its figured out how to do it for their results/module enrolment systems and every year they still fail hilariously

e: despite staggering it by year groups this year too lol

my guesses would be 1) maybe they're seriously underestimating the load or 2) maybe they're not putting the correct amounts of load on the different parts of the system

maybe their web server handles a million-zillion requests from localhost like a dream, but their network connection gets bogged down

that kind of thing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

maybe they dgaf cause gently caress undergrads

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

gently caress undergrads

in every sense of the phrase! :getin:

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
why would they give any fucks about a thing that happens once or twice a year and is for undergraduates

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why would they give any fucks about a thing that happens once or twice a year and is for undergraduates

gotta keep the cash cow comfortable to produce the best milk

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hmm whats more likely. pissed off undergrad applies for transfer, is accepted, actually goes through with it

OR

pissed off undergrad gets drunk, forgets all about registering, begs profs on the first day of classes to let them register for the now-full classes they want

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

hmm whats more likely. pissed off undergrad applies for transfer, is accepted, actually goes through with it

OR

pissed off undergrad gets drunk, forgets all about registering, begs profs on the first day of classes to let them register for the now-full classes they want

C, pissed off undergrad complains to parents who call the school and waste the time of somebody who doesnt give any fucks

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
lmao if you are intimitely knowledgable about when and how your school's systems fail

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jerry SanDisky posted:

C++14 has make_unique, std::optional, and generic lambdas

my body is ready

Does MSVC2012 beta support any of these? I'll be over in an instant. Or just wait for the next Boost. Microsoft's std::unordered_map is not very good.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
heh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFxRSV9cucM :toot:

ft: mr scruff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHAb92E31E

tef fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 27, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lmao if you are intimitely knowledgable about when and how your school's systems fail

i was honor roll every semester and got to register before the unwashed masses :smug:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

i used vim only for years & my vimrc was only like 4 lines long ... does that mean im bad

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

90% of my vimrc is things i put in but never used. the other 10% gets in my way but im too lazy to take it out

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
a text editor and an ide are different things

shouldn't you just use the best text editor (it's vim) in an ide you like using a plugin? especially if you're using a language designed to be used in an ide like c# or java

this is not complicated?

also vim is great because if you are doing something repeatedly that is a pain in the rear end there is a 90% chance there is a command to do it. I just discovered J (join this line with the next) and it owns. there is a 10% chance there will be nothing for you and your coworkers will all look at you like you're crazy though

I still want "d except it starts on the next character, not the current one"

like, my desired command : d :: a : i

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
sublime text is the best text editor because it cost $70

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
my vimrc is a beautiful artisinally handcrafted masterpiece of a lot of lines and plugins and also I have caps lock remapped to esc, and its beautiful and fast and nice when im using my setup and then im a cripple on a non vim or non caps-lock-is-esc vim setup. So. well. Thats not really a problem with vim.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it's like people who learn dvorak then forget qwerty

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Ronald Raiden posted:

my vimrc is a beautiful artisinally handcrafted masterpiece of a lot of lines and plugins and also I have caps lock remapped to esc, and its beautiful and fast and nice when im using my setup and then im a cripple on a non vim or non caps-lock-is-esc vim setup. So. well. Thats not really a problem with vim.

did you contribute to those sublime plugin repos using vim?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ronald Raiden posted:

and also I have caps lock remapped to esc

that is a really great idea and i have to steal it, i think

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I used to have jj as esc but I never used it.

idk there's nothing wrong with punching esc I guess

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

I used to have jj as esc but I never used it.

idk there's nothing wrong with punching esc I guess

i just hate caps lock so much that i have the key disabled entirely; remapping things instead would at least make it useful

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you work with coworkers who are really pushy about what editor or IDE you should use (instead of just trying to sell you some advantages of theirs or whatever), they're terrible people and don't listen to them.

Although I once gave training classes to a guy who used notepad.exe to program and it wasn't the best of ideas.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

if you work with coworkers who are really pushy about what editor or IDE you should use (instead of just trying to sell you some advantages of theirs or whatever), they're terrible people and don't listen to them.

Although I once gave training classes to a guy who used notepad.exe to program and it wasn't the best of ideas.

well newbies don't know to use a good edi tor, and notepad isn't one

basically sublime, emacs, and vim are acceptable, text mate if they're going retro maybe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
notepad is fine for text editing. sublime, emacs, and vim are bad text editors. you should never use a text editor for programming

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you need a structured text editor then notepad++ is ok, but you have to figure out the right plugins to get it working so it kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

notepad is fine for text editing. sublime, emacs, and vim are bad text editors. you should never use a text editor for programming

textpad is pretty good for both :shrug:

• Locked thread