Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jamesman posted:

Also Arma and Ultima bundles are the deals of the day. Didn't they just do those a couple days ago?

That was a special thing. They displayed all of their sale offers at once. Now, we're just going through them piecemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirall
May 5, 2008

General Emergency posted:

Q3LD-KKED-NDGA-GE93 Code for all things Fallout that matters. Looks like I've had these sitting in my inventory since whenever that "Get every Interplay game" sale was... I don't have a use for it so grab them if you want them.

Some jerk used this without giving thanks. Too bad, too, 'cuz I really wanted the older FO games. They weren't in any bundle during the gigantic sale on solstice, right?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

dud root posted:

Gift code for Duke Nukem 3D Atomic VZ2G-9H6U-R6WV-OKDF

I took this, thanks so much dude!

Been playing Broken Sword 4 and it is such a frustrating game, it has the elements needed to make up what makes the first two so good but it's just so janky. Also I really suck at Quest for Glory 1 and had to give that up for the time being :saddowns:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jamesman posted:

Also Arma and Ultima bundles are the deals of the day. Didn't they just do those a couple days ago?

GOG does sales weird. They do the "daily deals" like Steam, but every so often (like for the Summer Solstice 'Longest Day of Gaming') everything went on sale all at once. IIRC, they did the same thing during the last Winter Sale.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
I like it. For one thing, it avoids the "I want this game but won't buy it until the very last day of the sale just in case it's a daily deal" irritation of the Steam sales.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

That was a special thing. They displayed all of their sale offers at once. Now, we're just going through them piecemeal.

So does that mean I should avoid buying any D&D games because their D&D bundle might be coming around again?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kirall posted:

Some jerk used this without giving thanks. Too bad, too, 'cuz I really wanted the older FO games. They weren't in any bundle during the gigantic sale on solstice, right?

I grabbed FO1 from this, thanks. Was running around doing other stuff until then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jamesman posted:

So does that mean I should avoid buying any D&D games because their D&D bundle might be coming around again?

I think the D&D bundle was a daily on the first or second day of the sale :( (That said, that's one of their favorite sales to trot out, so unless you have a hankering to play them right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the sale pops back up in a couple months)

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
Now that the Ultima sale has come around again, I've gotta ask: I own 4-7 and the Underworlds. Should I bother completing the series? I know enough about 1-3 and 9 that I could take or leave them, but I know barely anything about 8. I know you're stuck as a male Avatar in goofy armor, and you can jump. What I got out of the reviews was, the gameplay is simplified, but the writing is alright, and while it's not a great Ultima game, it is a pretty good game on its own. Is it worth it, for this price?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Now that the Ultima sale has come around again, I've gotta ask: I own 4-7 and the Underworlds. Should I bother completing the series? I know enough about 1-3 and 9 that I could take or leave them, but I know barely anything about 8. I know you're stuck as a male Avatar in goofy armor, and you can jump. What I got out of the reviews was, the gameplay is simplified, but the writing is alright, and while it's not a great Ultima game, it is a pretty good game on its own. Is it worth it, for this price?

The platforming poo poo is horrendous and greatly soured my experience playing Pagan. There are some redeeming qualities to 8 but it ultimately was a terrible experience for me, YMMV.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I would say 8 is worth it just for the experience it. Its interesting to see The Avatar have to align himself with pagan gods in order to get back home. And they did patch out the horrendous platforming; you still have to jump from platform to platform, but they made them all stationary so its a non-issue.

1-3, especially as cheap as they are in the sale, deserve to be picked up. Its a fun look back to the SUPER early days of gaming.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

I would say 8 is worth it just for the experience it. Its interesting to see The Avatar have to align himself with pagan gods in order to get back home. And they did patch out the horrendous platforming; you still have to jump from platform to platform, but they made them all stationary so its a non-issue.

1-3, especially as cheap as they are in the sale, deserve to be picked up. Its a fun look back to the SUPER early days of gaming.

If they patched that out it's probably a hell of a lot better, I played it back on release.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also, the GOG version of 8 comes with the Voice Pack, which apparently was super rare and hard to find back when it was a physical product.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

jivjov posted:

I think the D&D bundle was a daily on the first or second day of the sale :( (That said, that's one of their favorite sales to trot out, so unless you have a hankering to play them right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the sale pops back up in a couple months)
I expect them to put all the bundles up again just before the sale ends.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I absolutely think 8 is worth it. It's even good as an "Ultima game" story-wise. The problem is that everything 8 sets up is ignored by 9.

a medical mystery posted:

If they patched that out it's probably a hell of a lot better, I played it back on release.
Not only did they patch out the moving platforms, they changed the jump so you land exactly where you click, rather than a hard-to-judge fixed-distance.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is seriously one of my favourite adventure games, so that's great to see. It's been stuck under Harlan Ellison's crooked old vulture wings for far too long.

I mean, it's not really a good adventure game. The whole concept is so abstract that puzzle solutions often make very little sense, but it's definitely part of why I like it. It's one of the most surreal games I've ever played and it expands on the original story in some really cool ways. It's basically like what if Dark Seed was actually good.

(Man, I really hope Dark Seed shows up as well now)

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

RiffRaff1138 posted:

1-3 are relics get them if you like really really old games or want to own piece of video game rpg history but they could easily be passed over, the manuals for all the other games tell you pretty much everything important about those games anyway. Ultima 9 is terrible nobody should own it its the MoO3 or Daikatana of RPGs. Ultima 8 isnt very good but I think is probably worth picking up in a sale. Parts of the story can be interesting but the gameplay gets old quickly the world is much smaller than the previous Ultimas and unlike Serpent ISle the smaller world really didnt lead to an increase in detail. Its a noticable step back in quality from 7 and 8 but had some cool concepts plus the Avatar gets to engage in human sacrifices and summoning the devil.

But this is the only reason you get U8

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

About that, if you can afford to wait you'll get it cheaper soon. Interplay's about to lose the rights to the old Fallout games and will milk the hell out of sales before that happens.

Too late, already bought it ( waiting to be played someday in my backlog :unsmith: ), but thanks anyway.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Peas and Rice posted:

If X-Wing Alliance popped up with remotely usable multiplayer I'd be taking a week off work.
I'd prefer XvT for multiplayer, to be honest, because that's actually got proper missions - even a whole co-op campaign if you've got the Balance of Power expansion pack - instead of basic skirmishes.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Sombrerotron posted:

I'd prefer XvT for multiplayer, to be honest, because that's actually got proper missions - even a whole co-op campaign if you've got the Balance of Power expansion pack - instead of basic skirmishes.

Not that I'm challenging you but for some reason I recall XWA had 16 or 32-player online support, while XvT was 4-person only.

Who am I kidding, I'd take a week off for either. :smith:

Edit: that talk of the speech pack reminds me that Twilight: 2000 still isn't on GOG yet and that really needs to be fixed.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Kirall posted:

Still wanting the older FO games? I have a gift code from a while back for the FO games (as well as some others, I think it was from some sort of "Choose how much you pay" deals where I already had half the games in the pack), so post your email address and I'll send it to you (I don't have PMs).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

uPen posted:

I want TIE Fighter on GoG more than anything but it's never going to happen :(

...The problem with wanting it is they'd do the one without the changing music, which would be far, far worse than not having it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Sent. Enjoy!

Thank you very much!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bloodly posted:

...The problem with wanting it is they'd do the one without the changing music, which would be far, far worse than not having it.
The graphics were way better though, it's Windows compatible (meaning better input support), and you can turn the music off. But yeah, replacing the changing midi with a sanity-reducing Redbook audio loop was a terrible idea.

I think some of the transitions were cut too, but I do think the main game was much-improved. Especially for X-Wing which didn't have a high-res option before.

But knowing GOG, they'd release one, and offer the other as a bonus if they can.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Peas and Rice posted:

Not that I'm challenging you but for some reason I recall XWA had 16 or 32-player online support, while XvT was 4-person only.
16 players for XWA, 8 players for XvT, I believe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any recommendations for (or against) the Arma pack? I had fun with the Arma 3 Alpha demo, FWIW.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any recommendations for (or against) the Arma pack? I had fun with the Arma 3 Alpha demo, FWIW.

Arma 2. DayZ.

(At least, it was awesome six months ago.)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Also I really suck at Quest for Glory 1 and had to give that up for the time being :saddowns:

A few QfG 1 tips:
- Clean the stables at the castle *every* day. You get paid & it pumps your stats.
- Rest as much as the game will let you after every encounter
- Sleep at Eranas peace to restore all HP/SP/MP. Its free!
- Goblins will be the only enemy you can take on at the start. Then aim for brigands once your stats are a bit higher.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dud root posted:

A few QfG 1 tips:
- Clean the stables at the castle *every* day. You get paid & it pumps your stats.
- Rest as much as the game will let you after every encounter
- Sleep at Eranas peace to restore all HP/SP/MP. Its free!
- Goblins will be the only enemy you can take on at the start. Then aim for brigands once your stats are a bit higher.

Also don't loving attack the animals. If you do, you cannot get the good ending. The game doesn't "forget" about it either so if you attack an animal day 1 then you'll be screwed all the way through.

Kirall
May 5, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

Still wanting the older FO games? I have a gift code from a while back for the FO games (as well as some others, I think it was from some sort of "Choose how much you pay" deals where I already had half the games in the pack), so post your email address and I'll send it to you (I don't have PMs).

Oh, sweet! My email is sipuli at gmail dot com. Thanks a whole lot!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I actually beat 99 Levels to Hell. I swear it's impossible to do so unless you always start from Level 1, because you NEED the upgrades you can get by doing so.

The ending dialogue wouldn't play. It goes "So-" and stops. :bravo:

Taking it as a challenging game where you play from level 1-100, and dying means you start all the way back at level 1, it's not a terrible game and can be pretty fun. As a game where you can use check points to resume every 10 levels, it's really imbalanced. Was worth buying on sale.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Good timing for the Bullfrog pack to go back on sale as the creator of Syndicate Wars has a kickstarter up for a spiritual sequel, Satellite Reign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cass posted:

Good timing for the Bullfrog pack to go back on sale as the creator of Syndicate Wars has a kickstarter up for a spiritual sequel, Satellite Reign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign

But can I plant an acorn and watch a tree grow, that is the question?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Since the Telltale games are on sale I might as well ask if they are worth a look?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sylphosaurus posted:

Since the Telltale games are on sale I might as well ask if they are worth a look?
Yes, yes they are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yes, and all of them are worth getting. The first season of Sam and Max is a little weak, relative to the rest, but they're all solid funny games.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Sylphosaurus posted:

The Sam and Max games and Monkey Island are solid modern adventure games. They're definitely on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of production and puzzles, but if you're used to old-school adventure games, they aren't quite as good. I can't vouch for BTTF, but I hear good things. Wallace and Grommit are OK, but they're very easy and clearly designed for kids. That being said, if you want to snare an 8-year-old into the adventure game life, Wallace and Grommit is a great entry point.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yes. I have played all of them (except Back to the Future) and I can say they are all worth $5. Sam & Max's first Season is a little rough, but it starts to hit its stride around episode 4. The Second season is good with a spectacular final two episodes and Season 3 is just epic and totally awesome.

Wallace & Gromit is fun and charming and is worth the price for the third episode alone, but the second episode is also real good.

Tales of MI is fun, but I think whether or not you enjoy it depends on if you appreciate the direction they take the series in, and also bear in mind that there's a very real possibility that the sorta-cliffhanger at the end will never be resolved.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

BTTF: The Game is great if you're a fan of the movies. It feels like a continuation of the third movie.

I don't remember a cliffhanger for Tales of Monkey Island?

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peas and Rice posted:

The Sam and Max games and Monkey Island are solid modern adventure games. They're definitely on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of production and puzzles, but if you're used to old-school adventure games, they aren't quite as good. I can't vouch for BTTF, but I hear good things. Wallace and Grommit are OK, but they're very easy and clearly designed for kids. That being said, if you want to snare an 8-year-old into the adventure game life, Wallace and Grommit is a great entry point.

It's a shame they couldn't get Peter Sallis to voice Wallace in the respective games, but the replacement does a very solid version of Wallace's voice. They also took the time to get the old voice actors from Curse of Monkey Island for Tales of Monkey Island. Just wouldn't be Guybrush Threepwood without Dominic Armato :allears:. Or Earl Boen as LeChuck, for that matter (they couldn't get him for the first episode, but they did for the later ones and had him re-dub the first episode).

choobs posted:

Tales of MI is fun, but I think whether or not you enjoy it depends on if you appreciate the direction they take the series in, and also bear in mind that there's a very real possibility that the sorta-cliffhanger at the end will never be resolved.

Something they've also said is that it canonically takes place after Monkey Island 5, so that's also something that might eventuate one day. If the stars align, and adventure gamers complete a fetch quest involving a chicken with a pulley in the middle, 4 cc's of mouse blood, and a home-made set of insulate tongs made from items involving an inflatable rubber duck and a broken clamp, all to prepare a suitable offering to the various pagan gods of mischief and trickery.

edit: Oh and just because it's not immediately apparent on the front page of the GoG sales, the order of the Sam and Max seasons is - Save the World, - Beyond Time and Space, - The Devil's Playhouse.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Lord Lambeth posted:

BTTF: The Game is great if you're a fan of the movies. It feels like a continuation of the third movie.

I don't remember a cliffhanger for Tales of Monkey Island?

Spoiler obviously: The revelation that the Voodoo Lady may have been intentionally pitting Guybrush and Lechuck against each other all this time and may have been pulling the strings on a lot of the series events, as well as the post credit sequence where Ghost Morgan LeFlay delivers the essence of Lechuck to her, followed by maniacal laughter indicating that maybe it is true.