Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Where's a good place to get cheap, high-quality dress socks online? I'm thinking like Monoprice, but for socks. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh snap
Apr 17, 2003
Does anybody remember a story (pretty sure it wasn't true) about a computer program that was tasked with designing circuits? When it came up with a design there were transistors and capacitors that appeared to be hooked up incorrectly, or not attached at all. But when it was switched on it performed better than existing circuitry?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

This is generally not true. A PM losing a vote of confidence is pretty unlikely in most situations.

This is also true in Australia.

Well, the roles of president and prime minister are not really analogous, and she didn't step down she was voted out in a leadership spill (which is also a pretty rare event for a party in power).

This is where you confuse me. A no-confidence vote isn't triggered by a party losing a vote on an important issue, it's just a thing that can happen at any time. It's usually only an issue when it's obvious that the party in power will lose, which can really only happen if there was a hung parliament, which has only happened in Australia twice since 1910.

Normally if the party in power want to get rid of the PM there'd be a leadership spill, not a no confidence vote, and if the opposition wants to get rid of the PM then they'd need the support of members of the party in power. A hung parliament changes that because the opposition can potentially win a no confidence vote if they have the support of third parties and/or independents.

And if the party in power does lose the no-confidence vote it's not a matter of being expected to step down, it just means they're not in power any more. If another party or coalition wins a confidence vote then they immediately form government without the need for an election. An election would only be called if no one could win a confidence vote (which can also happen immediately following an election in the case of a hung parliament - you just keep having elections until someone can win a confidence vote).

I guess the major difference is that Congress can't just vote out the President. Unless the President is killed or resigns, we're pretty much stuck with him for 4 years, even if everybody hates him.

Technically, the President can be impeached, but it's exceedingly rare. Only 2 presidents were ever impeached, and neither of them were removed from office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment#United_States

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have a microcrack running down the side of my mug - it's through enough to dribble some liquid. I've been looking online for how to repair a cracked mug, but most of the solutions seem to use glue that I wouldn't want to drink directly out of (I guess they assume you're repairing something on the outside of the mug?). is there any kind of food safe cement or glue?

oh snap posted:

Does anybody remember a story (pretty sure it wasn't true) about a computer program that was tasked with designing circuits? When it came up with a design there were transistors and capacitors that appeared to be hooked up incorrectly, or not attached at all. But when it was switched on it performed better than existing circuitry?

This was about evolutionary/generic algorithms. Try including those terms in your search (on phone, not easy to search myself)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Living in the United States, my idea of "president" is someone who is simultaneously commander-in-chief of the military, the person to whom the diplomatic corps answers to, conducts treaties with foreign governments, and essentially is the most influential person in setting foreign and domestic policy. Essentially, the most powerful person in the country.

I've recently learned that the president of many countries such as Germany isn't necessarily as powerful, and serves a more ceremonial role. Can someone explain this further? Is Gauck to Germany what the royal family is to the UK?

The heads of state of different countries have different roles, responsibilities and levels of influence. "President" is just a title, not a job description, it means different things in different contexts.

KillHour posted:

I guess the major difference is that Congress can't just vote out the President. Unless the President is killed or resigns, we're pretty much stuck with him for 4 years, even if everybody hates him.

Well, that and the American president is not an analogous role to the Australian prime minister. They have some things in common but a lot of differences.

alnilam posted:

I have a microcrack running down the side of my mug - it's through enough to dribble some liquid. I've been looking online for how to repair a cracked mug, but most of the solutions seem to use glue that I wouldn't want to drink directly out of (I guess they assume you're repairing something on the outside of the mug?). is there any kind of food safe cement or glue?

Is there some reason you can't just replace the mug? It would probably save you a lot of time and effort (and possibly even money depending on the mug).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

oh snap posted:

It was a story on evolutionary circuits featured on damninteresting.com. I'm pretty sure it was true.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

change my name posted:

It was a story on evolutionary circuits featured on damninteresting.com. I'm pretty sure it was true.

Evolutionary design, or whatever the field is called, is pretty drat interesting and comes with interesting results. I'm not entirely sure why it isn't used more often. Perhaps the computer power involved?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

change my name posted:

http://www.damninteresting.com/on-the-origin-of-circuits/#continue

Sounds pretty awesome. It should be noted that the evolved circuit did not preform better than a traditional one designed to do the task. It was the facts that it did it without being designed by a human and that the design took advantage of magnetic effects that are usually ignored or mitigated in traditional design. That the evolved design would not work on other FPGAs indicates that the it was using features on smaller scale than the FPGA's design tolerance which may be interesting for miniaturization.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Namarrgon posted:

Evolutionary design, or whatever the field is called, is pretty drat interesting and comes with interesting results. I'm not entirely sure why it isn't used more often. Perhaps the computer power involved?

Because it ran through thousands of iterations and produced a structure only working on one specific crystal, not even on others of same model; basically implementing an analog circuit in a chip made for digital. It gets things done, but it's not fit for mass production.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

Because it ran through thousands of iterations and produced a structure only working on one specific crystal, not even on others of same model; basically implementing an analog circuit in a chip made for digital. It gets things done, but it's not fit for mass production.

Ah good point. I was more thinking of other designs; I remember an antenna or something designed and it looked like a random abomination but worked better than an regular antenna. However that faces the same problem of probably only working that great in one location under very specific circumstances.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
For my job, I am going to be emailing/contacting several Japanese fashion designers and art galleries. Is there any special etiquette I should be aware of? Should I use -san when addressing people, and if so, when?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I seem to remember there was an 'help me identify this old video game I half remember' thread? Or is that my imagination? I can't seem to find it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

This is generally not true. A PM losing a vote of confidence is pretty unlikely in most situations.
As someone else said, the fact that this mechanism exists at all is a significant difference between the British Parliamentary system and the American system. It means that the Prime Minister has to be responsive to the wants and needs of the legislature than the President does in most Presidential systems. The fact that the mechanism exists creates an incentive for the Prime Minister to maintain good relations with the legislature, which means it wouldn't be used frequently, but just because it isn't used doesn't mean its existence isn't having significant effects.

Tiggum posted:

Well, the roles of president and prime minister are not really analogous, and she didn't step down she was voted out in a leadership spill (which is also a pretty rare event for a party in power).
I'm aware, but the existence of such a mechanism at all changes the dynamic of government significantly. And they are largely analagous, but not entirely; I'll address this in another post.

Tiggum posted:

This is where you confuse me. A no-confidence vote isn't triggered by a party losing a vote on an important issue, it's just a thing that can happen at any time. It's usually only an issue when it's obvious that the party in power will lose, which can really only happen if there was a hung parliament, which has only happened in Australia twice since 1910.

Normally if the party in power want to get rid of the PM there'd be a leadership spill, not a no confidence vote, and if the opposition wants to get rid of the PM then they'd need the support of members of the party in power. A hung parliament changes that because the opposition can potentially win a no confidence vote if they have the support of third parties and/or independents.

And if the party in power does lose the no-confidence vote it's not a matter of being expected to step down, it just means they're not in power any more. If another party or coalition wins a confidence vote then they immediately form government without the need for an election. An election would only be called if no one could win a confidence vote (which can also happen immediately following an election in the case of a hung parliament - you just keep having elections until someone can win a confidence vote).
While most of this is correct, that first (bolded) sentence is not. Votes on important issues can be matters of confidence, where if the ruling party loses, even though it's not explicitly a no confidence vote, they are expected to resign and call for new elections. You're correct that explicit votes of no confidence have been used to remove Australian PMs; however, what you refer to as "blocking supply" (for the unfamiliar with Australian politics: voting down appropriations bills necessary for the operating of the government) has been used to force resignations several times. The British would call that "a matter of confidence." Same idea, just different terminology.

And outside of a coalition government, it's very rare that members of a majority party are willing to vote a member of another party into leadership; so the result of a failed confidence vote is generally a new election, though, as you point out, there are mechanisms for changing party leadership without dealing with confidence votes.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Namarrgon posted:

Ah good point. I was more thinking of other designs; I remember an antenna or something designed and it looked like a random abomination but worked better than an regular antenna. However that faces the same problem of probably only working that great in one location under very specific circumstances.

I remember that antenna article too (probably from SA), I was excited as the article made it seem like they could make pretty much everything in the world more efficient and then I never heard about it again. :v: I suppose max efficiency doesn't always mean easy mass production.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Defenestration posted:

For my job, I am going to be emailing/contacting several Japanese fashion designers and art galleries. Is there any special etiquette I should be aware of? Should I use -san when addressing people, and if so, when?

I worked for a large Japanese company for several years, and while I didn't have a ton of interaction with the home staff I did need to occasionally. Using san when addressing them is probably a good idea, especially in the greeting. In general you'd append it to the last name, but if it's someone you've developed a relationship the first name would be ok in an informal situation. I would err on the side of caution in that regards though. I'm sure tarepanda will be posting any minute with lots more details though, and she's for sure a better authority than I.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
What does :3 or :3: mean and what emotion is it meant to convey?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

returnh posted:

What does :3 or :3: mean and what emotion is it meant to convey?

Scrunching up of the lips in a smile, generally expressing appreciation of cuteness, light hearted and bubbly emotion.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Living in the United States, my idea of "president" is someone who is simultaneously commander-in-chief of the military, the person to whom the diplomatic corps answers to, conducts treaties with foreign governments, and essentially is the most influential person in setting foreign and domestic policy. Essentially, the most powerful person in the country.

I've recently learned that the president of many countries such as Germany isn't necessarily as powerful, and serves a more ceremonial role. Can someone explain this further? Is Gauck to Germany what the royal family is to the UK?
The president/royal family analogy is a good one. A prime minister is generally the person in charge in a Parliamentary system, who is chosen by the majority of the legislature (or the lower house of the legislature, in the case of a bicameral government) from among their membership; a president is generally either directly or indirectly elected by the people. Some examples of their various roles:

Head of Government/Chief Executive - He's the big cheese, the guy in charge of implementing all the laws that get passed, and the one who makes cabinet-level appointments (i.e. he chooses the people who run government departments). While POTUS requires the "advice & consent" of the Senate (i.e. Senate confirmation), British-style Prime Ministers can technically appoint whoever the gently caress they want (but if they piss off their party enough, can be voted out).

Chief Diplomat - POTUS is the chief diplomat for the U.S. Any treaties the U.S. enters into must be signed by him (and negotiated by him or one of his or his predecessors' appointees) with the "advice & consent" of the Senate (i.e. Senate confirmation, in this case 2/3rds majority). This is a role which, in a British-style Parliamentary system, is generally fulfilled by a Prime Minister, but in some mixed systems (France, for instance) the President is the Chief Diplomat.

Commander-in-Chief - Person in charge of the military. Technically speaking, in Commonwealth countries this is the monarch of the UK, or, by proxy, her representative, the Governor General; in practice, however, it's the Prime Minister, and the Minister of Defense.

Head of State - POTUS is the embodiment of the government of the U.S. for ceremonial purposes. Throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game, for instance, is a function of the Head of State. For the UK, this is the Queen. For Commonwealth countries, it's the Governor General. Now, in Commonwealth countries, the Governor General is usually the person who accepts, declines to accept, or demands of the resignation of the Prime Minister, and calls for new elections. Actual use of this discretion, though, is generally looked upon poorly (see also: Australian Constitutional Crisis of 1975, or the Canadian King-Byng Affair), so in practice, the role is pretty much entirely ceremonial.

Chief Legislator - POTUS is a much weaker version of this than the Prime Minister. POTUS has the bully pulpit, veto power, and influence as head of his or her party to influence legislation, but cannot technically directly propose it. The Prime Minister, however, is essentially the President and Majority Leader all in one when it comes to legislation.

Head of Party - POTUS is the de facto head of his or her party while in office. The chairperson and executive director of the party manage the day-to-day operations, but POTUS does much of the agenda-setting. A Prime Minister is the leader of their party straight-out.

I feel like I'm missing some things there, but that's most of it. So, Tiggum, you were saying that the U.S. President and a Commonwealth Prime Minister aren't really the same, which is true in a technical sense, but in practice, I think they're largely analogous, even though the mechanisms they employ and who they're accountable to are different.

Kevin Dubrow, what this generally means is that there is more separation of powers in a presidential system (i.e. the legislature is completely separate from the executive), but it's easier to hold people accountable in a parliamentary system. For instance, in the U.S., whose fault something is can be difficult to determine; is it the President, or is it the Republican majority in the House? In the UK, though, it's all David Cameron and his coalition's fault; it makes it much easier to know who to vote out, but it's a much less inclusive system in that the minority can be largely ignored. Neither system is inherently superior, they just offer different advantages and disadvantages.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 27, 2013

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Reichstag posted:

Scrunching up of the lips in a smile, generally expressing appreciation of cuteness, light hearted and bubbly emotion.

Thanks.

When is it appropriate to use?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

I worked for a large Japanese company for several years, and while I didn't have a ton of interaction with the home staff I did need to occasionally. Using san when addressing them is probably a good idea, especially in the greeting. In general you'd append it to the last name, but if it's someone you've developed a relationship the first name would be ok in an informal situation. I would err on the side of caution in that regards though. I'm sure tarepanda will be posting any minute with lots more details though, and she's for sure a better authority than I.

I seem to remember business cards being a big serious deal and they should probably look into getting some printed up if they want to be taken seriously.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

returnh posted:

Thanks.

When is it appropriate to use?

When you think something is cute.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Mr. Squishy posted:

When you think something is cute.

I always think of it like the shape of a kitty cat's lips. :3:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

stubblyhead posted:

I'm actually a guy.

Honestly, what I'd do is pretend that it's not a Japanese company and just e-mail them in normal, polite English.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You always hear about rare diseases affecting like 8 in 1 million infants or things like that. What percentage of babies in first world countries are born without any adverse health conditions at all?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

baquerd posted:

You always hear about rare diseases affecting like 8 in 1 million infants or things like that. What percentage of babies in first world countries are born without any adverse health conditions at all?

This is a very difficult question to approach because birth to infancy is a fuzzy nonexistant time transition. I would direct you this this WHO page that will probably answer your questions.

If you are interest in this topic I highly recommend Welcome to the World a "Why Poverty?" documentary that follows births of homeless persons in Sri Lanka, cambodia, and the US.

tl;dr 990 per 1000 are healthy births in developed countries.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thanatosian posted:

While most of this is correct, that first (bolded) sentence is not. Votes on important issues can be matters of confidence, where if the ruling party loses, even though it's not explicitly a no confidence vote, they are expected to resign and call for new elections.

Are you talking about the practice of declaring a bill to be a motion of confidence to try to force the MPs who support the government generally to support that bill in particular? Because I would still call that an explicit vote of confidence not just a "vote on an important issue".

Thanatosian posted:

"blocking supply" has been used to force resignations several times.

Has it? When? (Whitlam doesn't count, there was no actual loss of supply just an indefinite delay)

Thanatosian posted:

And outside of a coalition government, it's very rare that members of a majority party are willing to vote a member of another party into leadership; so the result of a failed confidence vote is generally a new election, though, as you point out, there are mechanisms for changing party leadership without dealing with confidence votes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you're talking about is something like the Whitlam example where the senate blocks supply, in which case I would say it's really not clear at all what should happen there. As you point out in your other post, the governor general at the time was thought to be overstepping in removing the PM since he still had confidence and supply from the lower house.

Thanatosian posted:

Head of State - For Commonwealth countries, it's the Governor General.

Or the queen. We're not really sure.

Thanatosian posted:

So, Tiggum, you were saying that the U.S. President and a Commonwealth Prime Minister aren't really the same, which is true in a technical sense, but in practice, I think they're largely analogous, even though the mechanisms they employ and who they're accountable to are different.

I would say the legislative role of the prime minister is a pretty significant difference.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

I'm actually a guy.

Honestly, what I'd do is pretend that it's not a Japanese company and just e-mail them in normal, polite English.

Wow, my bad. I have no idea why I thought you were a woman. :shobon:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
There's a word that means something like "rose-colored glass favorably view of historical leaders".

I think it begins with an H, not histrionic, not hagiography. It's driving me crazy. What is it? I used it a few months ago to describe how hyphy everybody was about Lincoln when that movie dropped.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This question is embarrassingly stupid , but hey I guess what this thread is for and I am not very math inclined.

I haven't used a grid when drawing in years and I need to use one for something I am working on. If I am drawing from a photo that is 11x17 and the paper I am drawing on is 18x24, using 1 inch grid squares on the photo, what size would the squares need to be on the 18x24 paper for them to match up?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There's a word that means something like "rose-colored glass favorably view of historical leaders".

I think it begins with an H, not histrionic, not hagiography. It's driving me crazy. What is it? I used it a few months ago to describe how hyphy everybody was about Lincoln when that movie dropped.

Historical revisionism?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

NESguerilla posted:

This question is embarrassingly stupid , but hey I guess what this thread is for and I am not very math inclined.

I haven't used a grid when drawing in years and I need to use one for something I am working on. If I am drawing from a photo that is 11x17 and the paper I am drawing on is 18x24, using 1 inch grid squares on the photo, what size would the squares need to be on the 18x24 paper for them to match up?

Just because of the paper sizes, you aren't going to be able to fill the 18x24 page without messing with the proportions of the picture, or chopping parts off. If you just want it as large as possible without cutting anything off, 24in/17 squares = 1.41 in/square on the 18x24 paper.

If you don't mind cutting off some of the top and/or bottom, then 18/11 = 1.62in/square.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet thanks!

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, you want to keep the proportions of the photo in the drawing right? Just scale everything up a bit for the larger drawing paper?

The photo and paper have different aspect ratios, so you wont fill up the whole paper using the same proportions. You're limited by the smaller of the height/width ratios between the paper and the photo. 24 divided by 17 is 1.41, so using squares any larger than 1.41 inches won't fit on the page. But you'll have a border along the two longer sides.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
Anyone involved in manufacturing?

I need two things:

Somewhere to order a few hundred (initially) custom plastic cases nice and cheap (no 3d printed crap).

Somewhere to order also a few hundred mainboards from a mobile phone, any model really.

I realise it's pretty unlikely I'm going to find the hookup for that second one here but thought it was worth a shot.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are the cases custom shapes or sizes? If not just find the closest match and order from for example rswww.com.

As for the main boards you'll either need to find a contact for the Chinese manufacturer of a specific phone and negotiate with them, or find someone who's already done that and sells the components i.e. aliexpress

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/568256762.html

You'll still need other components to make a functioning comms device though.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

M42 posted:

Are there any good memory exercises/games that actually work? I had a bout of severe depression for a couple years that really chewed up my ability to remember poo poo. It's gone away now but the crappy short term memory persists.

Memory exercizes are mostly good for remembering ordered lists of things.

There's a really good book about memory techniques and the people who use the in competition: Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a kid's toy/game, I'm trying to figure out what it's called. One of my neighbor's kids has one of them and I'm trying to find out what they're called.

They're these little plastic balls (about the size of a big grape) with a magnet on one side, and they pop open to be a little dueling robot. They aren't BeyBlades, I know that much.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tharizdun posted:

There's a kid's toy/game, I'm trying to figure out what it's called. One of my neighbor's kids has one of them and I'm trying to find out what they're called.

They're these little plastic balls (about the size of a big grape) with a magnet on one side, and they pop open to be a little dueling robot. They aren't BeyBlades, I know that much.

Bakugan?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That's it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Is it possible to file a Paypal chargeback with my credit card company if my credit card was never actually involved? The money I sent just came out of my Paypal balance.