Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't really get how they gave away the entire plot of the movie, unless the entire plot is "Kristen Bell plays a woman who is a lifeguard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't really get how they gave away the entire plot of the movie, unless the entire plot is "Kristen Bell plays a woman who is a lifeguard".

It's about a troubled NYC journalist in her 30's who retreats to her hometown, the last place she was truly happy, and enters into an affair with a 16 year old boy.

It's all right there man.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

schwenz posted:

It's about a troubled NYC journalist in her 30's who retreats to her hometown, the last place she was truly happy, and enters into an affair with a 16 year old boy.

:catstare:

Seriously?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't get your humour, schwenz.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

schwenz posted:

I love how this poster totally gives away the entire plot of the movie.

Maybe it's just because Kristen Bell is super dreamy, but I really like this. Tells you nothing about the movie other than "Kristen Bell is a troubled NYC journalist in her 30's who retreats to her hometown, the last place she was truly happy, and enters into an affair with a 16 year old boy." That's really all you need to put on a poster, though.

Given her track record in movies, though, it'll probably be terrible.

Still, :allears:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Yup.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I can't stand her face. Something about it I just hate with the fire of a thousand suns. Same goes to Armie Hammer. I bet you could switch their faces and nothing would change.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah the doc is surprisingly well put together. If you're involved with the industry you won't really learn anything, but it does a good job of explaining the issues to a lay person or a film buff. Also most the interviews are with DPs and technicians, the director's names are just what they use to sell the film (And they do interview directors like Nolan who have stuck with film, so it's not one sided at all).

Best part was Keanu calling Rodriguez on his praise of the screening at Skywalker Ranch. His "are you loving kidding me" face is great. Like others have said, he's a good host and actually fairly knowledgeable about the subject.

Whats hilarious about the doc is how poorly each interview is shot. Lighting is bad, cameras moving around without cutting away, its very strange.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bows1 posted:

Whats hilarious about the doc is how poorly each interview is shot. Lighting is bad, cameras moving around without cutting away, its very strange.

It was appealing to me in an odd way because it was how CHUM/MuchMusic used to film interviews and segments. Must have been Keanu showing his Canadian roots.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I can't stand her face. Something about it I just hate with the fire of a thousand suns. Same goes to Armie Hammer. I bet you could switch their faces and nothing would change.

I think you would like Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

schwenz posted:

I love how this poster totally gives away the entire plot of the movie.

This made me laugh out loud, I don't know how people didn't get this incredibly simple stupid and funny joke.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

kiimo posted:

This made me laugh out loud, I don't know how people didn't get this incredibly simple stupid and funny joke.

Care to explain?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The joke was that it explained nothing, except for merely the lifeguard suit.

It could have merely been in some photoshoot for a magazine, not actually a movie poster.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The movie is The Lifeguard and man don't they show a lifeguard. Spoiler that poo poo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think you would like Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Oddly enough I didn't. *shrugs*

I do like Party Down.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I do like Party Down.

Everyone likes Party Down. It's the poo poo.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It was appealing to me in an odd way because it was how CHUM/MuchMusic used to film interviews and segments. Must have been Keanu showing his Canadian roots.

So what I'm hearing is Ed the Sock hosts this movie, I'm in.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Holy poo poo, that was filmed in my hometown just outside of Pittsburgh.

Which, to anyone who know about Sewickley, means that plot (bored older woman nails high school student) happens more often than not.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nybble posted:

The joke was that it explained nothing, except for merely the lifeguard suit.

It could have merely been in some photoshoot for a magazine, not actually a movie poster.

Well yeah, but... believable, deadpan sarcasm only really works in real-life, and sometimes not even then. There are people in the world who would actually say, in complete earnest, that the poster for The Lifeguard "gives the whole plot away".

People say dumb things all the time, so any time someone writes something weird and contradictory it's a little hard not to just take it at face value.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I also believe that it is impossible to communicate subtly with text.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Mr. Squishy posted:

I also believe that it is impossible to communicate subtly with text.

What are you trying to say here?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sheldrake posted:

What are you trying to say here?

This forum quickly turns into a game of Soviet Telephone.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bows1 posted:

Haha, yeah. On a similar note, there was documentary about the major members of the ASC that came out a couple years ago which was shot clean and professionally, but in a manner that was a bit flat and generic, and midway through the interview with Roger Deakins he starts critiquing their set up and has them switch lenses and move the camera.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bugblatter posted:

Haha, yeah. On a similar note, there was documentary about the major members of the ASC that came out a couple years ago which was shot clean and professionally, but in a manner that was a bit flat and generic, and midway through the interview with Roger Deakins he starts critiquing their set up and has them switch lenses and move the camera.

That sounds awesome. Is there a YouTube link to that scene?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

schwenz posted:

It's a retelling of The Sandlot from Wendy Peffercorn's point of view.

Or at least it really should be.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

beanieson posted:

It's a retelling of The Sandlot from Wendy Peffercorn's point of view.

Or at least it really should be.

I am glad I was not the only person thinking of this.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Bugblatter posted:

Haha, yeah. On a similar note, there was documentary about the major members of the ASC.
Would that be Cinematographer Style?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Not a poster, but a still from some upcoming movie called Divergent

Who did this? Why would you show this to anybody?

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
At the speed they're implied to be going they'll fly out the door.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Kikka posted:

At the speed they're implied to be going they'll fly out the door.

I think that's the least of the collective issues.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

schwenz posted:

eeeew, I hate that kind of plot. It should be considered exactly as nasty when an older woman has an affair with an underaged boy as when an older guy has an affair with an underage girl. I hate to cite South Park, but they nailed into the ground how utterly disgusting and misogynist this double standard is in the episode where Ike and his teacher fall in love.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatula City posted:

eeeew, I hate that kind of plot. It should be considered exactly as nasty when an older woman has an affair with an underaged boy as when an older guy has an affair with an underage girl. I hate to cite South Park, but they nailed into the ground how utterly disgusting and misogynist this double standard is in the episode where Ike and his teacher fall in love.

And what exactly about this is implying the movie isn't showing it as just this? All we have is a plot synopsis that is neutral about the whole thing and a poster.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

el oso posted:

Not a poster, but a still from some upcoming movie called Divergent

Who did this? Why would you show this to anybody?

I didn't know Source Code did well enough for a sequel.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Spatula City posted:

I think it would be considered sexist, not misogynistic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I saw that pic earlier, my favorite part is how gingerly he holds on the door handle for support as he sprints past it towards certain death.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
My wife likes those books, mostly for how Chicago is accurately represented in a post-collapse context.

The CTA looks nothing like that and never will.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Are people just trying to get unflattering pictures of Shailene Woodley out there now? That still makes her body and face look strange. That poor girl, she's very attractive but you had people saying she wasn't pretty enough to play Mary Jane and then that terrible still is released.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Are people just trying to get unflattering pictures of Shailene Woodley out there now? That still makes her body and face look strange. That poor girl, she's very attractive but you had people saying she wasn't pretty enough to play Mary Jane and then that terrible still is released.
She looks like a perfectly normal woman made of rubber to me!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

It's a production still so I don't think they're trying to make people think their star is unattractive. That would just be silly. I'm not sure if it's her makeup in that movie or what but I saw an interview from set and I didn't recognize her at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I was in the store today when I came across this DVD of Cop Out. The title is just Cop Out transliterated, but when looking it up to find an image online I found out there's a subtitle: Isn't Tracy Jordan in this movie?* Bruce Willis appears to be thinking the same thing.

Very tangentially along those lines, here's a poster of sorts from last year for whatever the latest Die Hard movie was called. I honestly can't remember.

*The subtitle is actually just Those Detective Guys, which really isn't any worse than Cop Out, I suppose.