Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm here to complain about my girlfriend's cousin's Facebook posts again. I know, I seem to be harping on this, but I'm lucky enough to have grown up and gone to college in New England and don't really have that many other sources of crazy, so this is still a new phenomenon to me.

Specifically, she posted these two images in the same goddamn day:

Okay you do NOT get to call yourself a "peace activist" while simultaneously arguing to arm the populace to prepare for a civil war. And you DEFINITELY don't get to be smug about it.

Christ, I'm anti-war and I think the peace-activism image would have been insufferable even by itself. Paired with the civil-war cheerleading it's just loving despicable.

Oh, also not one word posted from either her or her "libertarian" boyfriend about DOMA OR VRA being struck down. You'd think such a monumental civil-rights victory and such a crushing political-rights defeat would be newsworthy for libertarians, those champions of individual rights. You really would think that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

salty stinging tears

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I googled "Straight Pride".
This is the background of the twitter account @StraightPrideUK

:smith:

Their tweets are wonderfully bizarre though

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Flaskraven posted:

"Gays have the right to dress ridiculously. StraightPride is normal people dressed normally."

I seldom :lol::lol::lol: in the literal sense when reading stupid internet poo poo, but I couldn't help myself with this here.

Apparently they haven't heard of TEA party, or carnivals, or Saint Patrick's Day, or Halloween, or...

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
The thing that annoys me about the Texas abortion bill isn't the 20 weeks thing that is getting all the press, it's the fact that they are putting specific and unnecessary restrictions on abortion clinics in an attempt to close down every single one in the state. That's so much more of a problem that I'm amazed it's largely marked as a footnote in the reporting.

Augmentropy
May 26, 2013

Flaskraven posted:

"Why doesn't anyone understand how oppressed we are?! :qq:"

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Anubis posted:

The thing that annoys me about the Texas abortion bill isn't the 20 weeks thing that is getting all the press, it's the fact that they are putting specific and unnecessary restrictions on abortion clinics in an attempt to close down every single one in the state. That's so much more of a problem that I'm amazed it's largely marked as a footnote in the reporting.

Not only that, but that part can go in to effect almost immediately, too.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
What is it with members of a large majority group pretending they are some sort of oppressed minority? It's like minority groups are a proxy for releasing pent up frustration and anger. Is it that they feel so disenfranchised by a democratic system that fails represent the needs of its populace that they want to lash out at someone, but they've never bothered to take the time to understand the actual source of their disenfranchisement?

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "I'm Christian and I Vote!" It's like the person was trying to send out a message that was sticking it to some group that's not Christian, but I'm like "good for you? You're the same as the 80+% of USA voters that self identify as Christian".

Flaskraven posted:

"Heterosexuals do not have equality, homosexuals have more rights than any sector of society"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Flaskraven posted:

I totally didn't know that straight people were a thing! :v: I'm so glad they raised awareness!

Gays have parades and dress funny! Straight people never do that! :v: (I'd google and imgur up a picture of the Pope or something, but you get the idea.)

Oh noes! Gays get to not be discriminated against! How terrible for the homophobes!

This is Conservapedia level denial of reality.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

And I'm wrong

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 29, 2023

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Inspector Hound posted:

This is my opinion as well. Yes, women should have the right to choose, but pretending not to understand why some people dont like abortion is idiotic.

Yes, yes, I can assure you that the roof is on fire.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I think this one went over your head. The point is they are all dead.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Straight people participate in sodomy all the time; this needs to be hammered into these idiots over and over and over.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ratbert90 posted:

Straight people participate in sodomy all the time; this needs to be hammered into these idiots over and over and over.

Definitely. Maybe introduce it to them gently at first, but once the point's been made a few times you just have to keep going until they get it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anubis posted:

Wasn't another state trying to do the same thing? Where they can't legally ban abortions so they just make laws/regulations that abortion clinics can't follow so they're forced to close down.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't another state trying to do the same thing? Where they can't legally ban abortions so they just make laws/regulations that abortion clinics can't follow so they're forced to close down.

Mississippi and, last I heard, it's been blocked.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

muscles like this? posted:

According to this list (list is from June, so may not be up-to-date), North Dakota and Alabama both passed the "admitting privileges" law. It's part of a nationwide movement called TRAP (Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers).

What's sad to me is that people are being led to believe that these laws are just bringing clinics in line with "medical standards". The TRAP push is literally manipulating the narrative to the point where their unknowing parrots believe that abortion clinics are all inherently filthy and dangerous.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Pfirti86 posted:

Man, I must have done a really good job of purging/hiding status updates on my wall. Because I've got almost zero popping up that are upset about what happened today. The only one I found I had to actually look for because I've basically all but defriended this person (hidden all updates, but didn't defriend as she's family). Here's what she had to repost from some Christian boob:

quote:

Just so I understand, I woke up in a country where people are applauding a publicity-seeking woman for yapping for hours on end just to save facilities where unborn children are killed, Marriage is no longer defined at one man and one woman, and a disgraced former law-maker who resigned for taking pictures of his private parts and broadcasting them on Twitter is now in the lead for Mayor of New York City? WHERE DO WE LIVE?

That poo poo is tame.

The Onion has you covered with respect to the abortions in Texas thing:

quote:

AUSTIN, TX—Following state senator Wendy Davis’ successful filibuster of sweeping abortion restrictions last night, disappointed Texans told reporters they are looking forward to tonight’s scheduled execution of convicted murderer Kimberly McCarthy to cheer them back up. “I was completely devastated after learning that abortion providers throughout the state would remain open, but thankfully, there’s nothing better to lift up our spirits than an old-fashioned execution,” said Fort Worth anti-abortion activist Caroline Hinton, who added that the impending lethal injection of McCarthy was “more than enough” to put a smile back on her face.

Sir Rolo posted:

salty stinging tears

Just respond with this image:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ratbert90 posted:

In this same vein, they also have to be hammered with the facts that being gay isn't a progressive liberal political position one takes, that marriage is not a uniquely Judeo-Chistia concept, that the previous fact is somewhat moot because of the churches that are pro-gay marriage, and that gay people and liberals actually in marriages and families that they love, and are therefore probably reluctant to attack and destroy them.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Definitely. Maybe introduce it to them gently at first, but once the point's been made a few times you just have to keep going until they get it.

I know plenty of people who won't go down on women because oral is "submissive" and I have known guys who think that giving it to a woman in the pooper is also gay.

Basically, these people don't make any loving sense.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Basically, these people don't make any loving sense.

They hate sex as anything other than a display of their sexuality. You have sex to masturbate with/on someone while reaffirming your masculine heterosexuality. Which is why they're baffled by the idea that other couples could legitimately enjoy sex outside of this narrow envelope (thats what she said)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Rolo posted:

salty stinging tears

"We don't hate gay people, or anything like that. We just think they're trying to insidiously erode our convictions, weaken our resolve, and destroy society, fueled by pure malice and spite - thats all."

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Humans start at conception, some just live longer than others and some are worth more than others, some have greater mental faculties than others. I don't know why that's controversial.

Abortion should be legal at all stages, but I can't pretend that it's not killing a person.

It's killing a human. Personhood is much more subjective.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Abortion should be legal at all stages, but I can't pretend that it's not killing a person.

Same boat. Personally, I'm against it. Politically, I'm for it. It's none of my business and I'll never have to make that decision anyway. It doesn't affect me at all.

The only time I would buy a pro life argument is if their political platform also called for full state support for children's well beings. And since the GOP is never gonna swing that way...

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Same boat. Personally, I'm against it. Politically, I'm for it. It's none of my business and I'll never have to make that decision anyway. It doesn't affect me at all.

The only time I would buy a pro life argument is if their political platform also called for full state support for children's well beings. And since the GOP is never gonna swing that way...

Seriously. If the GOP is sooooo opposed to even the concept of abortion, then maybe they should focus on making sure people don't want/need abortions.

The same logic can apply to drugs and violence, too, but it's easier to just punish everybody.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's killing a human. Personhood is much more subjective.

I feel this is an important point. A fetus is unconscious and incapable of consciousness or perception until it takes its first few breaths of air after birth. That's a pretty significant demarcation to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CellBlock posted:

Seriously. If the GOP is sooooo opposed to even the concept of abortion, then maybe they should focus on making sure people don't want/need abortions.

The same logic can apply to drugs and violence, too, but it's easier to just punish everybody.

Unless if it's a hedge fund, the GOP is completely against delayed gratification. Even then, most funds are evaluated on a quarterly basis, so 90 days might be their max allotment for patience.

If they were so loving fiscally responsible as they claim, they'd take one look at the multiplier effect for SNAP benefits and go "we're increasing SNAP's budget by 25% this year". However, SNAP is taking away precious money from whatever their pet project is RIGHT NOW and they cannot let that stand.

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 27, 2013

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My argument is that a fetus is a potential living human being. It can also be naturally aborted (the term in Hebrew for miscarriage), or it can endanger the life of the mother. A pregnant woman, on the other hand, is definitely a human being. She comes first. End of. Now, you want less abortions? Better sex-ed, more widely accessible birth-control, subsidize prenatal care and provide welfare for children. But you don't get to vilify welfare moms and vilify abortion at the same time. That's just opposition to women having sex outside of your control, so enough with the "saving life" rhetoric.

This came up during a debate with the most disturbing entity of all, at least to me: a Hebrew-speaking Republican apologist. Something about reading Republican apologia (including the entirely non sequitur "the US is a republic, not a democracy") in Hebrew, a language in which I am used to reading Occupation apologia and Judeocentric rhetoric was somewhat jarring.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A embryo isn't a human, sorry.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

I feel this is an important point. A fetus is unconscious and incapable of consciousness or perception until it takes its first few breaths of air after birth. That's a pretty significant demarcation to me.

While I generally support abortion, I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I was under the impression that very late-development fetuses have sufficiently developed nervous systems to make some effort to explore the womb, respond to the sound of the mother's voice, etc. I'd say you have a compelling argument for calling it a person and banning abortions at that very late stage, if I'm not mistaken. Granted, as I understand it this point isn't reached until a mere few weeks before birth, so it's not as though the woman wouldn't have a reasonable amount of time to think things over and decide to abort/not-abort before making the decision.

I might be completely mistaken, mind you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Technically a woman aborts an egg every month if its not fertilized!

Additionally all policies that would lower abortion are hated by the GOP. The religious right believes sex is only for procreation. Not for enjoyment. Birth control is trying to outsmart God's plan for us.

I would cheer a republican who said "I want to end abortion by making sure a woman is never put into a position where she would have to consider one." And outlying ideas for how to achieve that. Sadly that will not happen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

seiferguy posted:

I would cheer a republican who said "I want to end abortion by making sure a woman is never put into a position where she would have to consider one." And outlying ideas for how to achieve that. Sadly that will not happen.

As would I. But whenever I mention this to a republican, all I get is "mumble mumble Responsibility mumble mumble woman (dirty slut) CHOSE to have sex mumble mumble not my problem mumble mumble Jesus." :smith:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Spiritus Nox posted:

While I generally support abortion, I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I was under the impression that very late-development fetuses have sufficiently developed nervous systems to make some effort to explore the womb, respond to the sound of the mother's voice, etc. I'd say you have a compelling argument for calling it a person and banning abortions at that very late stage, if I'm not mistaken. Granted, as I understand it this point isn't reached until a mere few weeks before birth, so it's not as though the woman wouldn't have a reasonable amount of time to think things over and decide to abort/not-abort before making the decision.

I might be completely mistaken, mind you.

While they have the physical structures in place for consciousness, I've seen a couple studies that concluded that fetuses are effectively held in an induced coma. The body is awash in neuroinhibitors that are oxidized and flushed away when breathing begins.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

While they have the physical structures in place for consciousness, I've seen a couple studies that concluded that fetuses are effectively held in an induced coma. The body is awash in neuroinhibitors that are oxidized and flushed away when breathing begins.

Ehhhhhh.... That's getting into grey area for me. I'd be very reluctant about an abortion at that stage. There's a difference between a coma, which you can wake up from given the correct chemical stimulation, and simply being brain damaged/underdeveloped to the point where conciousness is physically impossible. I would want someone to pull the plug if I were a vegetable - I would not want them to pull the plug if I were simply deeply unconcious.

And again, a fetus wouldn't even reach that point until extremely late in it's development, so it's not as though it would be asking too much for a woman to reach a decision before then. It's not like I'm saying "SPERM + EGG = HUMAN" or anything.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much right there with you. But I think it's interesting, and birth really is a more significant state change than just moving outside the mother.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much right there with you. But I think it's interesting, and birth really is a more significant state change than just moving outside the mother.

Oh yeah, it is. I'm doing an intro level biology course right now, and the section on the nervous system was really fascinating to me to see how much of the process is built on the actual physical movement and and combinations of molecules and poo poo - I'd always just thought of it as pure electric signals, but that really does the process of nerve impulses no justice.

It also shows just how much we actually know about how the brain works and what the requirements for conciousness and sentience are, much more than any pro-lifer would ever want to admit.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can we not turn this into abortion debate 101? I come here for Chemtrails and all-caps stories about how Einstein was a bear.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Einstein was a bear.

Evidenced by his disgusting agnosticism.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Crackbone posted:

Can we not turn this into abortion debate 101? I come here for Chemtrails and all-caps stories about how Einstein was a bear.

Come to the GOP Rebuilding thread, where we're talking about beer and earthquakes for some inscrutable reason! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Right-wing chain emails featuring or mentioning Einstein are always loving hilarious, because Albert Einstein was a straight-up socialist. How socialist? Socialist enough that he wrote an article called 'Why Socialism?' published in a socialist magazine about how awesome socialism is. You'd think the American right would consider him basically the devil incarnate.