Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

I'm playing as The Kingdom of León and a low turnout for the first crusade has ended me up with the Kingdom of Jerusalem. I can predict that it will cause more problems than it will solve and I'm not too sure what to do with it. I've heard that giving it to one of the Catholic holy orders (Knights Hospitallier etc.) would give you tons of piety but none of them have been created yet. Should I just give it to some random dynasty member?

That happened to me as King of Bohemia, and I up and moved there. It worked out great. Turn Ascalon into a republic, wait for the Muslims to fracture, and grab stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been playing Rurik a lot lately, and managed to form Rus fairly often, but I always get roadblocked by loving gavelkind succession. I wish there was a way to make it less lovely, like being able to actually designate which titles my heirs will receive, rather than having them assigned at random.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Is there anything that would cause a murder plot to not fire? I had the Prince of Sweden at 350% plot power with 15 backers for something like a decade before his father died and he inherited and it was too late for me to benefit. He didn't have super high intrigue or anything and it's not that attempts failed, it's that there were no attempts at all. I think that's the first time I've had something like that with such a high plot power

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I've been playing Rurik a lot lately, and managed to form Rus fairly often, but I always get roadblocked by loving gavelkind succession. I wish there was a way to make it less lovely, like being able to actually designate which titles my heirs will receive, rather than having them assigned at random.

Just keep your capital, and delegate everything else out to counts. Ideally priests, but I also will put family in as counts. Stay at one province until you can reform out of Gavelkind.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I think my empress might be going a wee bit mad...

Also, is this one of the new, user submitted events? The quality of the writing seems a bit off...

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Broken Cog posted:

Also, is this one of the new, user submitted events? The quality of the writing seems a bit off...

I'm visualizing her sitting there, driven mad by grief, and obliviously reading from a book of stories to her dead kid and it's really :smith:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm visualizing her sitting there, driven mad by grief, and obliviously reading from a book of stories to her dead kid and it's really :smith:

It gets better when you realize that kid died almost ten years ago.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Frijolero posted:

I have another question related to Wrong Holding Demesne. I conquered Mallorca and the primary holding is a city. Could I build a castle and make that the primary holding somehow? Or am I forced to give it away to someone?

Just revoke whatever baron has the castle. It's not like they can do poo poo about it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SeaTard posted:

Just keep your capital, and delegate everything else out to counts. Ideally priests, but I also will put family in as counts. Stay at one province until you can reform out of Gavelkind.

I've never tried, so I assume baronies get gavelkinded away and divided up on death? You can't just grab all the baronies of your capital province as demense and have them all handed to your heir?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Anyone try This portrait mod? It's looks pretty good.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I've never tried, so I assume baronies get gavelkinded away and divided up on death? You can't just grab all the baronies of your capital province as demense and have them all handed to your heir?

Baronies do get handed out, which is why I don't build any more until I'm ready to get out of Gavelkind.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

James The 1st posted:

It's the one I am using in lieu of BLC being dead; the mod's pretty good.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

forkis posted:

To answer question 1: invite a new courtier to your court. give_title e_brittania [his character ID]. kill [his ID]

if i grant him the emperor title, won't he go off and be his own liege?

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

crm posted:

if i grant him the emperor title, won't he go off and be his own liege?

He shouldn't if he has no counties.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Just a quick question!
I love the Total War games, but I don't like the combat :s I simply love playing diplomat and taking over all of a continent and a country and making my kingdom superior. If I like that type of diplomacy game, is this game worth playing? I recieved the game as a gift some time ago, and I tried to play it as well but holy hell it is way too much to take care of. Should I just push myself through that?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Stalins Moustache posted:

Just a quick question!
I love the Total War games, but I don't like the combat :s I simply love playing diplomat and taking over all of a continent and a country and making my kingdom superior. If I like that type of diplomacy game, is this game worth playing? I recieved the game as a gift some time ago, and I tried to play it as well but holy hell it is way too much to take care of. Should I just push myself through that?

This is *the* game for that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just a quick question!

Oh boy are you in for a treat son. Stick with the game until it clicks, this is the game you've been dreaming of.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I registered my games on the paradox forums a week-ish ago but can't see the modding subforum, is there some trick to it?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Just a quick question!

YES. I play exactly like that in Total War.

I haven't played Total War since I discovered CK2.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just a quick question!

Oh sweet summer child. You are in for the treat of your loving life. Try watching some Let's Plays. Does anyone have a link for the badass Let's Play by a goon playing as Ireland?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

James The 1st posted:

The first response to the mod is... Something.

quote:

for your info ... Almoraves not black skine !!! this must around afarica.. close to egypt and somewhere in north afarica !! not all !!!
Thank you .. and your mod will be great for us ...

Frijolero posted:

Oh sweet summer child. You are in for the treat of your loving life. Try watching some Let's Plays. Does anyone have a link for the badass Let's Play by a goon playing as Ireland?

Capt. Andy is working on a reboot of Kersch's Ireland tutorial LP, with tutorials for other playstyles to follow. The Kersch one is a good read, but outdated so your mileage may vary. You can read it here.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Even though outdated that LP provides a very good road map on what to do as it guides you from action to action.

Knowing what to actually *do* in your first game, because if you naturally just explore menus it is easy to get overwhelmed in feudal terminology gobbledygook and stats.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
I still vaguely recall the first time I played CK2; I just sort of sat there in stunned silence, my eyes glazing over as the game sort of played itself, all the while trying to figure out what all the status/alert messages meant and what/how I was supposed to do anything about it.

It is now, of course, my favorite grand strategy game of all time. Keep pushing.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Broken Cog posted:

What, you don't refer to your beloved, deceased daughter as 'it'?

e: It's not, incidentally, one of the user submitted events -- which, surprisingly, are fairly well written.

Leb fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the Seljuks as Russia? I'm emperor of reformed Suomenusko Russia early 11th century, have most of the de jure counties of Russia, and they really want to fight me and subjugate Ruthenia. I've been save scumming but pretty much every time I try to expand a little more they declare holy war on me. I'm not very good at combat, I guess I should just get better and declare holy war on their rear end first.

e: I killed the sultan and his heir isn't zealous and actually likes me a little bit, will that help?

e2: Whew, all of their vassals are rebelling now, that should keep them off my back for awhile. Still any tips for fighting giant doomstack enemies would be appreciated

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 27, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

beefart posted:

The first response to the mod is... Something.

Capt. Andy is working on a reboot of Kersch's Ireland tutorial LP, with tutorials for other playstyles to follow. The Kersch one is a good read, but outdated so your mileage may vary. You can read it here.

Yeah, my LP doesn't really stand the test of time considering how much all of the expansions and patches have added. It'll be really valuable to have a fresh one done. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself. I haven't really played Old Gods much, since I've been on a huge Victoria 2 binge. I'm actually halfway considering doing a Victoria 2 LP.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kersch posted:

I haven't really played Old Gods much, since I've been on a huge Victoria 2 binge. I'm actually halfway considering doing a Victoria 2 LP.

Please do this! I really want to like this game, but lack of proper documentation concerning expansion stuff is killing me!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

chunkles posted:

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the Seljuks as Russia? I'm emperor of reformed Suomenusko Russia early 11th century, have most of the de jure counties of Russia, and they really want to fight me and subjugate Ruthenia. I've been save scumming but pretty much every time I try to expand a little more they declare holy war on me. I'm not very good at combat, I guess I should just get better and declare holy war on their rear end first.

e: I killed the sultan and his heir isn't zealous and actually likes me a little bit, will that help?

e2: Whew, all of their vassals are rebelling now, that should keep them off my back for awhile. Still any tips for fighting giant doomstack enemies would be appreciated

Just keep stabbing and stabbing to destabilize their realm, maybe send your diplomat out to try and incite his more powerful vassals into rebellion. Since you are Suomenusko and probably don't have anyone who wants to marry your heathen offspring and ally up, intrigue is pretty much all you've got.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Kersch posted:

Yeah, my LP doesn't really stand the test of time considering how much all of the expansions and patches have added. It'll be really valuable to have a fresh one done. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself. I haven't really played Old Gods much, since I've been on a huge Victoria 2 binge. I'm actually halfway considering doing a Victoria 2 LP.

I have played Victoria 2 since release and I'm still loving clueless so I will definitely be following this if it happens. The CK2 and EU3 ones got me back into both of those games and taught me the basic principles that I still apply to all of my games today.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Noreaus posted:

Pagans still aren't forming kingdoms no matter how much land they own in CK2+, even with the hotfixes. Back to vanilla.

This bug only applies to pagans, right? I've been playing a Shattered World game of CK2+, and I'm the only kingdom that's formed so far-- but I also formed it fairly recently, and was blobbing more systematically than the AI would be for the express purpose of doing so, so they might just not have been able to yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Just a quick question!

This is the game you've been praying for.

Here's the thing about it being 'too much to take care of' - the way you get points in this game is not to conquer the world or anything like that, it's just to have a huge family of prestigious, pious badasses. You can basically just let the game run itself on an easy nation and you'll probably 'win' the game in the sense that you'll have a lot of points at the end. All you really need to worry about is your family, all that other stuff is just bonuses.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you all play, as far as speed? Lately I've been waiting for my King to die so I sped time to the fullest. But usually I keep it at 3x. On what speed do you usually play?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
8 daughters I had, 1 son.

To expand my tiny dynasty I married them all matrilineally and handed out counties and duchies to their husbands.

A decade later I have no daughters, no grandkids due to various illnesses and mishaps.

Of course every husband now has a dozen kids by their new wives.

They come out like clockwork every 9 months.

I want my lands back :qq:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Frijolero posted:

How do you all play, as far as speed? Lately I've been waiting for my King to die so I sped time to the fullest. But usually I keep it at 3x. On what speed do you usually play?

3x or 4x, pausing when something happens that I need to actually do orders.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Either full speed, or one notch below full speed if I'm fighting a war.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Frijolero posted:

Always max speed in every Paradox game. Maybe it depends on your machine, but I've never had any trouble with it, even in complicated wars. I just double tap the pause button to advance one day at a time if necessary.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Full speed is waaaay too fast, at least until you have set up the right pause events and such. I like 4x most of the time, with 3x when doing war stuff, and 5x if I'm literally just waiting around with nothing to do. Once you get a big enough family and realm I always find tons to do week to week, especially in CK2+

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I play fullspeed with my message settings set to pause at the conclusion of every battle or siege.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So uh, anyone ever had a zoroastrian game where they have expanded into Russia instead of Persia?

Zoroastrian Russia has been so much easier than Zoro Persia gotta say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla
May 10, 2008
New version of Umbra Spherae (Eurasia mod) is out for 1.02:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588964-Mod-Umbra-Spherae&p=15704407&viewfull=1#post15704407

It'll take a few tries to get the download link working due to a mediafire bug.

• Locked thread