Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

Victoria 2. The game of the Forever War. France, Prussia and the Ottoman Empire are all 100% occupied. But shall the crisis end? No, because you can't make separate peace in crisis wars and warscore cannot ever move past 25% either way because of achieved occupations on both sides and the fact that completely occupying a country only gets you 33% warscore.

e: on the other hand as Belgium I'm now the 4th Great Power because I'm the only nation in mainland Europe that hasn't had it's industry trashed and I'm mostly selling guns and ammo.

Does war exhaustion of a target nation count towards victory? It probably should. If a nation has 100% war exhaustion or whatever it ought to move towards 100% victory steadily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Does war exhaustion of a target nation count towards victory? It probably should. If a nation has 100% war exhaustion or whatever it ought to move towards 100% victory steadily.

War ended with a cut down to size on Austria by the UK (ironically the two great powers untouched by occupation). A few months later all of Europe explodes in revolution. I'm not really sure what's going on (a consistent problem) but I think that nations should exit wars when for all practical purposes they've been knocked out.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Those borders. D:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Oops

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So... does anyone have actual thoughts about the actual game they're actually going to stream tonight?

Roguelike sci-fi top-down shooter, Win/Mac/Linux, $13. I'd never heard of it but sounds like this is an expanded edition of something that already exists (says owners will be upgraded to this new version). Could be fine, just underwhelming if we were expecting a new grand strategy IP. I see why the thread finds dinosaur politics more engaging.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A Violence Gang posted:

So... does anyone have actual thoughts about the actual game they're actually going to stream tonight?

Roguelike sci-fi top-down shooter, Win/Mac/Linux, $13. I'd never heard of it but sounds like this is an expanded edition of something that already exists (says owners will be upgraded to this new version). Could be fine, just underwhelming if we were expecting a new grand strategy IP. I see why the thread finds dinosaur politics more engaging.

It doesn't look at all interesting to me, so I'll go back to thinking about Dinosaur Universalis.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A Violence Gang posted:

I tried out the demo way back when, and it basically feels like a really cool mix of Dead Space, Resident Evil, roguelikes, and Quake. Dead Space for the oppressive atmosphere and general combat, RE for the inventory management and surprisingly-deep weapon crafting/modification, roguelikes for the randomization, and Quake for the low-fi visual artstyle.

The only problem I found with it is that the visuals (not to everyone's taste, mind you) can get pretty headache-inducing. It looks cool, but even just firing your weapon causes some crazy distortion, and sustained play really takes a toll on my eyes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A Violence Gang posted:

There was a thread about it here a while back, not sure if it's still in the live forums.

EDIT Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519762

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

A Violence Gang posted:

Basically what toasterwarrior said; it was a really cool idea, and even the execution wasn't too bad, but it was so dizzying to play the game that I never even played through the whole demo. If what they just announced fixes it or adds more options so I can make it easier to look at then I'd say I'm interested, but if it's just more levels/enemies/whatever, sadly I'm unable to play it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Yeah, that thought occurred to me later- they know they've got a stinker on their hands and they're hoping they can pander it into profitability.

So, who wants to start chipping in to get Patter Song a copy to LP? :v:

I have to suspect that EVW is only going to be $20. Granted, I only just got March of the Eagles in the sale last week because I'm kind of cheap ($5 is a great deal for MOTE).

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Are they loving serious with this we are the world idea?

So, it has a ugly, lovely UI. A pre TFH HoI III combat system. And this.

All i ask is, how moddable will it be?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

So much for Fall of Rome :negative:.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Why did you guys think they would announce a big title out of the blue? They usually do code names and let us guess for about a week.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BillBear posted:

Why did you guys think they would announce a big title out of the blue? They usually do code names and let us guess for about a week.

They did a code name and let us guess for 24 hours, but no, personally I wasn't expecting a 'real' Paradox game. I'd be quite surprised if the next internal Paradox project was announced until a couple months after EUIV is out.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
So what is in EU4? Why should I buy it?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Making pretty borders in higher resolutions isn't enough :confused:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
So the game supports higher resolutions?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's been thirty-something developer diaries, I recommend reading all the non-country-specific ones first so you know all the game system changes: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?629770-Europa-Universalis-IV-Development-Diaries-Archive

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Making pretty borders in higher resolutions isn't enough :confused:
The map isn't higher resolution according to the developers. The greatest misstep in gaming history.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Baloogan posted:

If you liked EU III, from what i can tell everything is pretty much vastly improved. Plus they put some effort into online and Asia!

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
I've played HoI2 and AoD a lot, and was really excited about HoI3 years ago, but never pulled the trigger. I'm getting back into playing after a long hiatus and seeing really contradictory information on their forums.

Am I correct in assuming that picking up the entire package for $5 when it's on sale is still a mistake?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
$5 for hoi3 is worth it, especially if TFH is included.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Jesus gently caress, someone earlier hit upon the best game idea ever without realising it.

Vicky2 style economy stuff.
Starting just after WW2.
Space race game.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Even at $5 HoI3 isn't worth it. I gave it and all the expansions another shot a couple weeks ago and it is still utterly devoid of fun, especially compared to Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Jesus gently caress, someone earlier hit upon the best game idea ever without realising it.

Starting just after WW2.
Space race game.

Scientists and Engineers in The Papal States have discovered Space Capsule Re-entry Parachutes. We pray they use this discovery for good.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Starting just after WW2.
Space race game.

Your Capitalists have built a Glass Factory on the Moon.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
*Insert "cannot colonize moon because life rating" joke*

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PBJ posted:

*Insert "cannot colonize moon because life rating" joke*

You've gotta research laser guns first.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Pakled posted:

You've gotta research laser guns first.

"Name one time in history where the Moon wasn't conquered by like three white guys with Rovers."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Teleglitch looks really atmospheric, at least. Seems like it's worth a buy when it hits the eventual sale.

Baloogan posted:

Dedicated servers and hot-join MP.

We need to get a 24/7 Paradox MegaThread server going as soon as this game comes out!

JDM3 posted:

I've played HoI2 and AoD a lot, and was really excited about HoI3 years ago, but never pulled the trigger. I'm getting back into playing after a long hiatus and seeing really contradictory information on their forums.

Am I correct in assuming that picking up the entire package for $5 when it's on sale is still a mistake?

If you've never played Darkest Hour yet, I suggest you try that first/as well, unless you're really tired of the Europa engine.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JDM3 posted:

If you check my posts in this thread then you'll see I don't have very high opinions of HoI3. I think the best that can be said for it is that it's a collection of very interesting concepts and mechanisms that unfortunately fail to come together to make an actual game. There's a diplomacy system where countries will move towards and away from factions depending on influence and how threatened they feel but it doesn't matter because the war is starting in 2.5 years and there isn't going to be any meaningful drift. There's a wonderfully complex combat system that's utterly negated by the fact that you can force any army to sit stationary for 72 hours with a one hour attack by a division so all wars turn into WW1 style slugfests at the strategic level. There's a technology system where you can focus your research into certain equipment on your tanks, infantry and planes but the actual results are so far removed and unpredictable that you'll just research everything. And if you are a major power then you can. There's an intelligence system that... exists.

Trade is a straight up improvement on HoI2 in that you actually have to ship goods on-map and those convoys can be attacked, but the game doesn't quite get the resource balance of the world right in the sense that the UK is ever actually threatened by the battle of the Atlantic, or that a German player is particularly aware of the need to keep the Romanian oilfields safe.

For $5 you probably won't regret it if you buy it more out of curiosity than expecting fun.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
HOI3 tries and fails to be quite a few things.

I still sperg like a motherfucker over the OOB in HOI though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Baloogan posted:

Steamworks multiplayer.

And some other stuff.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Big mechanical stuff off the top of my head is:
  • Almost everything you do, from improving technology to changing policies to acquiring cores, requires you to expend power that your monarch slowly accrues, meaning you have to make tough choices between such actions.
  • National ideas work differently, in a manner some liken to Civ V's social policy trees. A large number of the most important/interesting nations have sets wholly unique to each representing their historical strengths, with lesser nations sharing idea sets common among their region or culture.
  • Trade has been completely reworked to emphasize money actually moving across the map; territory and naval power now play much larger roles in getting your slice of the pie.
  • Finances have been consolidated so you no longer have the monthly expenses vs. annual income hassle.

The interface also looks much more clean and straightforward in the screen shots we've seen. I forget from the dev diaries -- has much been said about the mechanics of the HRE or Papacy or such supranational concerns?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

A Violence Gang posted:

The interface also looks much more clean and straightforward in the screen shots we've seen. I forget from the dev diaries -- has much been said about the mechanics of the HRE or Papacy or such supranational concerns?

The HRE mechanics are covered in this Austria preview from a few months back. The HRE looks like it'll act mostly like in HtTT onwards, but imperial authority slowly increases if there is internal peace, and slowly decreases if there are less than 7 electors. The Emperor also gets a special CB to revoke an electorship. You will get to see how each member of the diet will vote before enacting an Imperial reform.

The Papacy mechanics were covered in this brief Religion overview we were given early in development. The Curia's cardinals can't be bribed to support your nation, but there are 5 cardinals outside of it that may be promoted into the Curia which you can spend influence on. Papal controllers get an extra diplomat and a lot of prestige.

MOTE-style Coalitions are going to be in the game as well. A coalition is a temporary grand alliance against a single enemy. At the game's start, only the Papal Controller has access to coalitions as a diplomatic option, but they are later unlocked for everyone through improving diplomatic technology. I'm guessing that it'll be around either the Napoleonic war era or the 30 Year's War, but that's just me.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
If Pdox ever made a game with HoI3's diplomacy and spies, V2's politics and SoI system and with a map as pretty as EUIV I'd never play anything ever again :allears:

I really do love HoI3, but sadly I could never understand the combat and the game is too structured towards one big war that it could never be true love :smith:

Edit: WHY COULDN'T EvW BE THAT? :(

And vvvv dear god, I don't understand this at all. Why does every grand strategy armchair politician superfan look the same and why are they all so willing to put their image in a game.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 28, 2013

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Hey guys, it's really hard to figure out who the leader of the DDR's Communist Party was in the 1970s, so...

All hail Chairman Apfeldornen!

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Gorgo Primus posted:

Hey guys, it's really hard to figure out who the leader of the DDR's Communist Party was in the 1970s, so...

I bet that's not even the right hat :colbert:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gorgo Primus posted:

Von Apfeldornen, the Communist. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ofaloaf posted:

Von Apfeldornen, the Communist. :geno:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Philippe_II,_Duke_of_Orl%E9ans

e; not the best example I guess what with him being executed and also renouncing his name :downs:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 28, 2013

• Locked thread