Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Infinotize posted:

Since no one commented on this, is this for real? Are you kidding me? 120-200 total comp for entry level? Glassdoor has averages around 160 for SE III's.

SF is hilariously overpriced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Apparently I need to apply for jobs in SF. But I'm not sure I'm qualified.

What does it mean when a company doesn't show up on Glassdoor? I was looking at a company called Syncromatics, but I can't find much on them. They do ask for a link to github contributions if you have any though, so a good example of why I feel I need one myself.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Since no one commented on this, is this for real? Are you kidding me? 120-200 total comp for entry level? Glassdoor has averages around 160 for SE III's.

Are you looking just at the San Francisco area Amazon jobs? I see 116k average for SE I and 135k for SE II. Looking at some apartment ads in the area and playing around with salary calculators, I would need 100k base salary just to maintain the standard of living I have now, and I'm somewhat underpaid for my area. It seemed like reasonable advice to me.

PS - thanks for the advice Cicero, I ended up giving a range informed by those numbers and the recruiter didn't balk.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Infinotize posted:

I didn't say 120-200 for entry level? :confused: I said 120 for entry level, 150 for mid level, 180-200 for seniors. Keep in mind this is in one of the most expensive parts of the country to live in, and this is for major tech companies that probably pay more for tech talent than anyone else except for maybe some finance companies. Change the part of the country or the type of company and the numbers will likely drop in a big way.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Whoa I am underpaid, and I am in SF!

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Is anyone familiar with the OSU Computer Science online post-bac program? (http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/) It's a program for previous degree holders to earn a CS degree in as little as one year by taking online courses. The degree conferred is the exact same one as the brick-and-mortar school. Though it's called a CS degree, the course work seems to be much more focused on software engineering and computer systems, though I've been assured that the necessary math components have been rolled into program. The curriculum for the one-year program is here: http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/CS-one-year-track-option.pdf

After graduating with an International Studies degree, I've been working for the past three years as an International Relations Coordinator for a municipal government office in Northern Japan doing project management, event planning, translation, public relations, and web development. My contract ends this August. I've always been interested in both math and coding, but have no formal education in either outside of basic classes and no practical experience to show for it outside of PHP / JavaScript / MySQL work I've done for my job.

I realize that getting a CS degree in one year is going to set off red flags with any potential employers, but I'm hoping to leverage my previous experience to land me an entry-level job where multinational communication is necessary. Is one year of dedicated study, resulting in a B.S. in CS, enough to think about an entry level job or internship in a software development role, or am I being overly optimistic? At 28, I also don't want to be away from working for longer than a year. Ultimately, I'd like a job that merges my project management and communications skills with technical skills, but I don't mind putting in the time getting up to speed in the industry.

Thanks so much for any advice!

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 27, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

gucci void main posted:

SF is hilariously overpriced

Sulk, master of labor economics.

NYC is pretty /underpriced/ for this sort of poo poo actually. Essentially the same job paying 30-40k less in total comp. (Data engineering/analysis not SE though)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I have a friend who just got accepted into this program. My main advice to him besides the obvious of "get good grades" and "code on your own time too" was that he should try to split up the degree such that he had a summer to do an internship. Ideally I think you'd want the internship between terms 3 and 4, although if you do an internship immediately post-graduation and then look for full-time work I guess that wouldn't be so bad. But yeah, graduating with no internship (or co-op or something equivalent) is probably a bad idea.

edit: Also I agree that it's more of a software engineering degree than a CS one, but it looks like it hits the core parts of a CS degree that are likely to come up in a job interview so you're probably fine.

edit2: Here's some more random advice. So a neat thing about software development as a career is that we get the best of both worlds: our degree is marketable on its own (like engineering, or perhaps accounting), and we can also develop ourselves professionally, in a provable way, without any structural barriers, much like art or writing (the key word here is "portfolio").

Now, a CS degree is a useful signaling tool, but if you really want to guarantee a good job, you'll start coding yesterday. Luckily it sounds like you already do this for your current job, so you have a good starting point. Really diving into popular web languages/frameworks and making cool sites as much as you can on your own is a great idea if you want to secure your career.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 27, 2013

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Does anybody have any advice for breaking into the machine learning domain that doesn't involve obtaining a masters/Ph.D? I've been applying all over the country for positions, but it seems like most companies are looking for MS/Ph.D candidates. I feel like I have enough experience to justify consideration; I've done two pretty neat projects for school. One was using PCA to predict unknown substances using "smell" data obtained from an artificial nose and the other was eye gaze tracking using Haar cascades to capture the eyes and neural nets to predict the gaze (though, this is one an unfinished proof-of-concept). I've also taken every AI course offered for undergrads at my university and have been sitting in on the graduate level classes. The Air Force seems to be more willing to accept BS candidates, but their positions seem to all require at least Secret clearance.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 27, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

oRenj9 posted:

Does anybody have any advice for breaking into the machine learning domain that doesn't involve obtaining a masters/Ph.D? I've been applying all over the country for positions, but it seems like most companies are looking for MS/Ph.D candidates. I feel like I have enough experience to justify consideration; I've done two pretty neat projects for school. One was using PCA to predict unknown substances using "smell" data obtained from an artificial nose and the other was eye gaze tracking using Haar cascades to capture the eyes and neural nets to predict the gaze (though, this is one an unfinished proof-of-concept). I've also taken every AI course offered for undergrads at my university and have been sitting in on the graduate level classes. The Air Force seems to be more willing to accept BS candidates, but their positions seem to all require at least Secret clearance.

Shoot me a PM with some info about yourself. (and don't get too excited, I don't have anything to offer you directly, but may have some contacts)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Zero The Hero posted:

I didn't understand either of these responses. Can you clarify?
It's OK to put truthful information on your resume that makes it more attractive to employers, regardless of whether you can document it on request. For example, my resume has former employers that no longer exist.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Here are a couple other tidbits.

quote:

I realize that getting a CS degree in one year is going to set off red flags with any potential employers, but I'm hoping to leverage my previous experience to land me an entry-level job where multinational communication is necessary.
Just don't list your degree as "Bachelor's in Computer Science, 2013-2014" or whatever, instead just list it as, "Bachelor's in Computer Science, 2014". That's what I do since technically my college career spanned like 9 years because I got kicked out after the first year for being a lazy freshman.

quote:

Is one year of dedicated study, resulting in a B.S. in CS, enough to think about an entry level job or internship in a software development role, or am I being overly optimistic?
Nah you're fine as long as you follow the advice (chiefly CODE CODE CODE) and don't screw up.

Don't screw up!

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

It's OK to put truthful information on your resume that makes it more attractive to employers, regardless of whether you can document it on request. For example, my resume has former employers that no longer exist.

So in the case of my "major GPA", I can list 3.3 as my own calculation including only my CS courses, and none of the math courses that were part of the CS major? Since my transcript doesn't list my major GPA and only my overall GPA?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Like anything you put on there, you'll have to accept scrutiny for it. GPA matters in some cases but in the big picture it's often irrelevant data for most positions and hiring processes, so to me it's just raising too much complexity to put down "And this is my GPA*". What courses exactly are excluded? Is the school coming up with this metric or are you literally hand-crafting your own special GPA? Now before I basically wouldn't remember your GPA 10 seconds after seeing it on the sheet unless it's exceptionally high or low and probably only marginally then. Now it's starting to feel like you're running some sort of game by coming up with a doctored stat masquerading under the credentials of an impartial 3rd party stat to make yourself look better. Maybe you're not and some internet people just told you you should compute your Degree GPA or whatever and you just thought it was what everyone does, but either way I'm now more interested in this GPA business far more than I would've been so we're gonna drill down on it in the interview.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 27, 2013

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bhaal posted:

Like anything you put on there, you'll have to accept scrutiny for it. GPA matters in some cases but in the big picture it's often irrelevant data for most positions and hiring processes, so to me it's just raising too much complexity to put down "And this is my GPA*". What courses exactly are excluded? Is the school coming up with this metric or are you literally hand-crafting your own special GPA? Now before I basically wouldn't remember your GPA 10 seconds after seeing it on the sheet unless it's exceptionally high or low and probably only marginally then. Now it's starting to feel like you're running some sort of game by coming up with a doctored stat masquerading under the credentials of an impartial 3rd party stat to make yourself look better. Maybe you're not and some internet people just told you you should compute your Degree GPA or whatever and you just thought it was what everyone does, but either way I'm now more interested in this GPA business far more than I would've been so we're gonna drill down on it in the interview.

This is far more thought & discussion than I've given GPA's in the sum total of my interviewing experience.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

This is far more thought & discussion than I've given GPA's in the sum total of my interviewing experience.

The only time I've thought about a candidates GPA was when they put it on 2/3 of their educational bullets but not the last one.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i really like it when a candidate tells me about non-programming hobbies like hiking, biking, or baking because then there's a good chance they dont have a neckbeard, smell like socks, and wear a fedora.

so if you want to get your interviewers hopes up put that poo poo down.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Would "shaving my neckbeard" qualify as an equally opportune hobby?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Bhaal posted:

Well, that's the problem. My major GPA IS something I've hand-crafted. That's why I haven't ever put it on my resume in the past, because my transcript doesn't list an official one. But it's an easily explained one, I think, since it includes every class listed as "CSCI" and none of the others. I'm not even sure how I would list it, because I feel like if I list my major GPA and not my overall GPA, it's going to bring attention to the fact that I don't want to list my overall GPA(2.8). Are you saying I should just ignore the whole thing and not list anything?

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
Hey guys, I'm starting to get some stuff from recruiters and I'm looking at their companies. In particular I'm wondering what kind of effect the size of a company has on the experience and career development and all that. For example, one employs 70 people and another employs 2800. I feel like I'd have an easier time standing out at the smaller company, plus I hear a lot of negative things about "corporate culture" at the larger one.

Another question: The staffer for one company kind of caught me off-guard when he asked me what I would expect as a salary. I told him the number I've heard most often for entry-level SE ($60k) but I'm starting to think I should ask for more, given that the area these jobs are in has a relatively high cost of living - is attempting to negotiate my salary up after having already quoted $60k to the recruiter reasonable?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Garnavis posted:

Hey guys, I'm starting to get some stuff from recruiters and I'm looking at their companies. In particular I'm wondering what kind of effect the size of a company has on the experience and career development and all that. For example, one employs 70 people and another employs 2800. I feel like I'd have an easier time standing out at the smaller company, plus I hear a lot of negative things about "corporate culture" at the larger one.

Another question: The staffer for one company kind of caught me off-guard when he asked me what I would expect as a salary. I told him the number I've heard most often for entry-level SE ($60k) but I'm starting to think I should ask for more, given that the area these jobs are in has a relatively high cost of living - is attempting to negotiate my salary up after having already quoted $60k to the recruiter reasonable?

Never talk about salary

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Garnavis posted:

If the number is mentioned again just say that you've done additional research about the area and you feel that, including CoL and overall trends in hiring, you would like a salary above what you quoted.

Then when they ask you what the new range is, say that you would like to go through the process first and make sure there is both a fit for you and the company before you start considering what an appropriate salary would be.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Zero The Hero posted:

So in the case of my "major GPA", I can list 3.3 as my own calculation including only my CS courses, and none of the math courses that were part of the CS major? Since my transcript doesn't list my major GPA and only my overall GPA?
If you need such a lengthy explanation to make it truthful, so the interviewer isn't surprised if they ask about it, then it's probably isn't worth it.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.

Strong Sauce posted:

If the number is mentioned again just say that you've done additional research about the area and you feel that, including CoL and overall trends in hiring, you would like a salary above what you quoted.

Then when they ask you what the new range is, say that you would like to go through the process first and make sure there is both a fit for you and the company before you start considering what an appropriate salary would be.

Thanks for the sound advice, I'll do just that if/when it comes to that. I've heard before that the candidate should never give the first number, but I guess I wasn't sure if that applied to something like the initial contact with a staffing agency? Hopefully the agent hasn't gone back to the company and said "Yo pick this chump up on the cheap he doesn't know what he's doing"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

I interview but do not currently sort through resumes for data science positions and I think any candidate without at least a masters would have to be pretty exceptional for me to consider. "Data science" is a very fast moving field, and a good candidate needs to convince me they are at least capable of keeping up with the research and hopefully telling good from bad. I just really haven't seen that kind of sophistication out of people with just BSs unless they've got a lot more besides (and a ms isn't much of a guarantee either, especially in CS).

So I guess finish that tracking thing, maybe get it up on a website that demonstrates it. If you're still in school try to get some coauthored publications with your professors, undergraduates getting published does stand out.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
There are also roughly a million bazillion machine learning Ph.Ds.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

If you need such a lengthy explanation to make it truthful, so the interviewer isn't surprised if they ask about it, then it's probably isn't worth it.

I agree with this. Additionally, not to be a dick or anything but a 3.3 major GPA is not good. I've always heard that if your GPA is below a 3.5 to not list it at all.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's no reason whatsoever to list your GPA on a resume, especially since every school calculates it differently. If you graduate with honors or something then I guess it's fine to list that, but otherwise don't bother it.

Also, ZeroTheHero this is strictly anecdotal, but I know a lot of defense contractors list 3.0 minimum GPAs, but I graduated with a 2.9 and still had no problem getting hired by one out of college.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

astr0man posted:

Also, ZeroTheHero this is strictly anecdotal, but I know a lot of defense contractors list 3.0 minimum GPAs, but I graduated with a 2.9 and still had no problem getting hired by one out of college.

I applied to Lockheed Martin and they said they wanted at 3.5 GPA (which I didn't have without doing things like "if I ignore the first semester where I did poorly and ended up re-taking all those credits..."). I just left it off my resume and ignored that part of their application. After I did some interviews and they were sure they wanted to hire me, HR said they absolutely needed my school transcript. I handed it over and got the job.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm taking my first algorithms class and it's kicking my rear end. I've never really tried approaching problems the way this class is asking me before, so while I'm learning a lot, it takes a lot of time and frustration to even figure out the basic stuff. I'm especially stumped on this question and hope someone here can provide some hints.

There's a mxn grid of ints. The grid is sorted both ways, so the integers increase in order as you go left to right and top to bottom. I'm supposed to come up with an algorithm to determine if a specific int t is in the grid or not. Apparently there is a O(m + n) algorithm for this that uses O(1) additional space.

The brute force method of checking every cell one by one takes O(mn) time.

The best way I found so far is essentially a modified version of the brute force, where you break and start at the next row as soon as the number you are checking is larger than t. But I think it's upper bound is still O(mn) if the target number is larger than all the numbers in the grid and also doesn't exist in the grid.

Or maybe I can check both the first and the last number of the row, and then keep tightening the upper and lower limits until I either find the t or upper==lower, in which case I go down a row and to the same thing again. But that's also essentially a variation of the brute force attempt.

An observation I can make is that if I choose an arbitrary cell, such as [c][r], then all the numbers in the smaller rectangle whose upper left corner is [c+1][r+1] are larger than the number in my cell. But I have not found anything clever I can do with this insight.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Pretty sure checking the first and last of every row, then checking one row when you find it in range of the first and last is O(m + n). You're doing a maximum of 1 check per row (if its not in range) plus one check of every value inside a row if it is found inside a given range. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Pretty sure checking the first and last of every row, then checking one row when you find it in range of the first and last is O(m + n). You're doing a maximum of 1 check per row (if its not in range) plus one check of every value inside a row if it is found inside a given range. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem.

The target number can be in the range of more than one rows, though. An example:

5 | 12 | 64 | 82
9 | 54 | 76 | 90
17 | 65 | 79 | 93
20 | 70 | 82 | 98

say I'm looking for 26. It's not there, but it's in the range of all rows, so I check every row which takes O(mn) time.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
I'm no good at this stuff, but it probably has to do with eliminating columns that are larger than your target. Since it's sorted in both directions, we can eliminate the last two columns because all of their values will be larger than 26 which reduces the amount of checks you need to do.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

UnfurledSails posted:

An observation I can make is that if I choose an arbitrary cell, such as [c][r], then all the numbers in the smaller rectangle whose upper left corner is [c+1][r+1] are larger than the number in my cell. But I have not found anything clever I can do with this insight.

This is a good observation. Consider what you know if you're looking for x and [c][r] < x < [c+1][r+1] compared to if x is greater or less than both, and try going from there.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

UnfurledSails posted:

The target number can be in the range of more than one rows, though. An example:

5 | 12 | 64 | 82
9 | 54 | 76 | 90
17 | 65 | 79 | 93
20 | 70 | 82 | 98

say I'm looking for 26. It's not there, but it's in the range of all rows, so I check every row which takes O(mn) time.

I misunderstood your question but you already got the advice you need.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

greatZebu posted:

This is a good observation. Consider what you know if you're looking for x and [c][r] < x < [c+1][r+1] compared to if x is greater or less than both, and try going from there.

You can alternatively look at [c][R] to [c+1][R] where R is m/2 (if m is the number of rows), which makes more sense on non-square matrices.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Kumquat posted:

I'm no good at this stuff, but it probably has to do with eliminating columns that are larger than your target. Since it's sorted in both directions, we can eliminate the last two columns because all of their values will be larger than 26 which reduces the amount of checks you need to do.

There is no guarantee such columns exist:

1  2  3  4
2 26 27 28
3 27 28 29
4 28 29 30

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

The best I can come up with:

Walk the diagonal until you find the cell that splits the matrix in a left-upper part where everything is guaranteed to be smaller, and a right-lower part that is guaranteed to be bigger. This leaves you two half-size matrixes (at worst), upper right and lower left, that can potentially contain the element. Then recurse.

This isn't obviously O(m + n), though: Finding the split is on the order of max(m,n)/2 operations the first time, resolving the submatrices takes twice the operations on a half-size one, so you'd end up around max(m, n) operations total. Worst case you split at the last diagonal element, leaving you a row and a column to traverse, or m + n operations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Walk the contour line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

shrughes posted:

Walk the contour line.

This needs some elaboration, behind spoiler tags if you want.