Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

We do the sperging so you don't have to.
Sounds like a good thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Subterfrugal posted:

Posting from my new nook hd+ and it is pretty :krad:. I was on the verge of getting a nexus 10 but for my purposes ( lots and lots of reading) this is everything I really want for a third of the price.

But oh man does the native launcher suck though. As soon as it updates up to the Play store I am cleaning house.
Yeah, that launcher is the worst - I don't know how that made it to production. You have to force the update - I don't think it does it manually. Just go into device settings and search for updates, then once downloaded, install - you'll get the Play store then. I'm not sure why it isn't automatic, since most people wouldn't know to do that.

Subterfrugal posted:

Is there any reason I might want to retain the Nook's native os rather than flattening it in favor of CM10? I don't plan on ever using barnes and noble as a bookseller.
To be honest, once you have another launcher, I don't see a reason to go to CM10 unless you want to sideload or you find an app you really, really need that isn't supported by the version of Android it runs. The interface is snappy, and I haven't found a reason to modify the OS at all. All of the apps I've thrown at it work fine. I think it has to be running Jellybean, since the update was only a month ago and my HD+ seems to run everything my phone does.

Personally, I'm going to dual-boot from SD, but that's only so I can have the ability to watch Amazon Prime videos. I figure that's a rare enough occasion though, hence the SD route.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 21, 2013

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

nmfree posted:

Sounds like a good thread title.

That would be a good forum title.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Personally, I'm going to dual-boot from SD, but that's only so I can have the ability to watch Amazon Prime videos. I figure that's a rare enough occasion though, hence the SD route.

Can you tell me how this works? I'd love to watch amazon prime videos on my device.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Can you tell me how this works? I'd love to watch amazon prime videos on my device.

If you're lazy like me and don't want to make a card yourself:

https://www.n2acards.com/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Well, and this is me, I'm going to go to Android for Nook and pay $10 to download the image specific to my device, drop it on an SD card, insert said card, and reboot the Nook. The image comes with Flash, which is required to view Amazon Prime through the browser (there is no standalone app support.) As far as I know, (and the guy who runs AFN has verified it does,) this will work.

Now, people will complain that this guy at AFN is making money off of work done by people at XDA and the like, and they are correct. But paying this guy $10 is saving me from tracking down the proper software, tweaking it, and searching through forum posts of l33t haxxors to figure out why my Nook doesn't boot now (or whatever.) This guy has done the work of collecting and testing the procedure, and provides awesome support should anything go wrong - to me, that is well worth $10. As an aside, he says that he regularly donates to XDA, and I'm sure that most people don't even bother, so he's got that going for him too.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, and this is me, I'm going to go to Android for Nook and pay $10 to download the image specific to my device, drop it on an SD card, insert said card, and reboot the Nook. The image comes with Flash, which is required to view Amazon Prime through the browser (there is no standalone app support.) As far as I know, (and the guy who runs AFN has verified it does,) this will work.

Now, people will complain that this guy at AFN is making money off of work done by people at XDA and the like, and they are correct. But paying this guy $10 is saving me from tracking down the proper software, tweaking it, and searching through forum posts of l33t haxxors to figure out why my Nook doesn't boot now (or whatever.) This guy has done the work of collecting and testing the procedure, and provides awesome support should anything go wrong - to me, that is well worth $10. As an aside, he says that he regularly donates to XDA, and I'm sure that most people don't even bother, so he's got that going for him too.
Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to just try Puffin browser? Its whole selling point is built in flash support.

EgillSkallagrimsson fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 21, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to just try Puffin browser? Its whole selling point is built in flash support.
Could be - I didn't know about Puffin having built in Flash support. Ill give that a shot as soon as I get home and in range of a Wi-Fi connection.

Edit: Puffin reviews say that Flash is laggy and stutters. And it looks like Flash is supported "from the cloud" so I'm guessing that there is a transcoding process that goes on that I don't want to have to deal with. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not expecting much.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 21, 2013

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So I have a Nexus 7, and was thinking of getting a Nook HD+. How does it compare?

Mainly I use my Nexus 7 for comics, and was thinking that the 9" screen would make it easier to read the text.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

E2M2 posted:

So I have a Nexus 7, and was thinking of getting a Nook HD+. How does it compare?

Mainly I use my Nexus 7 for comics, and was thinking that the 9" screen would make it easier to read the text.
I do not have a Nexus for comparison, but I'm loving comics on the HD+. Everything is crystal clear and I don't have to blow up the page to read text (yet anyway.) The diagonal is a little smaller than what I'm used to, but I'm not having any issues whatsoever.

(Full disclosure: I'm coming from a first gen iPad, so I've seriously upgraded my screen just by the upgrade.)

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
I planned on using my HD+ to read books and it works well for the little bit I've done that, but honestly like 75% of my usage since I bought it a month ago has been pinball arcade; it looks fantastic and plays perfectly (other than sucking battery like crazy)

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I do not have a Nexus for comparison, but I'm loving comics on the HD+. Everything is crystal clear and I don't have to blow up the page to read text (yet anyway.) The diagonal is a little smaller than what I'm used to, but I'm not having any issues whatsoever.

(Full disclosure: I'm coming from a first gen iPad, so I've seriously upgraded my screen just by the upgrade.)
Welp thats all the convincing I need.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Welp thats all the convincing I need.
Honestly, for the price, I can't think of a reason not to recommend it to anyone. For the majority of people looking for an Android tablet, the HD+ is going to be The One. My coworkers were looking at mine after I brought it into work and they were really impressed in general - you really don't expect this kind of quality from a cheap tablet. My only caveat to you is that the cord is proprietary and not a micro USB cable. That's pretty much my only gripe with it.

If I didn't say it previously, you have to force a second update to get the latest OS and the Play store. My update did not automatically show up, which I think is weird, but whatever.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The HD+ is worth it for the screen alone. It really is that good. The rest of the tablet is just a plus.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah, a couple of days into it, I'm loving it more and more. The inch of real estate and bit of processing power you lose on the Nexus 10 is well worth the $250 bucks you save. To add to the other caveats though:

No GPS
No Camera

I also can't get Google Voice to work on its stock android install. :wtc: I think its looking for wireless connectivity.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subterfrugal posted:

Yeah, a couple of days into it, I'm loving it more and more. The inch of real estate and bit of processing power you lose on the Nexus 10 is well worth the $250 bucks you save. To add to the other caveats though:

No GPS
No Camera

I also can't get Google Voice to work on its stock android install. :wtc: I think its looking for wireless connectivity.

If you enable Location Services in the settings it'll find your location using wi-fi data.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rewriting CM10.1 over the Nooks lovely software seems to have solved all my problems. It was easy and it's now a flashy little tablet.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm giving the Nook HD+ a whirl - it seems to be okay if a bit underpowered, but boy do I hate the default launcher and layout. Even with a custom launcher there are like no sounds for anything like softkey presses and it's terribly annoying. I don't want to have to root and install CM (especially since I don't have a MicroSD card and don't plan on ever getting/using one), so is there a way to get this a bit closer to stock? Or should I just ditch this thing and get a Nexus 7?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1st AD posted:

I'm giving the Nook HD+ a whirl - it seems to be okay if a bit underpowered, but boy do I hate the default launcher and layout. Even with a custom launcher there are like no sounds for anything like softkey presses and it's terribly annoying. I don't want to have to root and install CM (especially since I don't have a MicroSD card and don't plan on ever getting/using one), so is there a way to get this a bit closer to stock? Or should I just ditch this thing and get a Nexus 7?

Replace the keyboard with something like Google Keyboard or Swiftkey from the Play store - those both have settings you can enable for sound events

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 24, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I did, but sounds aren't coming up on the keyboard or anywhere else (unless I'm playing media)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1st AD posted:

I did, but sounds aren't coming up on the keyboard or anywhere else (unless I'm playing media)

Try this one - someone on XDA says it works:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard&hl=en

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It just seems like the Nook OS doesn't HAVE system sounds besides ones for push notifications. And you can't sideload apps.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Am I reading this right and you want the tablet to beep when you press a thing? I mean, to each his own and all, but that seems like it'd be annoying as hell.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Every iOS and Android device has a kind of keypress noise (not a beep, more like a click depending on the manufacturer) on certain actions like pressing app drawer or a softkey. The Nook has none at all (other than screen off and device unlock), and it's kind of annoying because there's no haptic feedback on the device.

edit: I found an old MicroSD card and was able to root and flash this thing. God CM10 runs soooo much nicer than the stock OS it's ridiculous - the UI is more responsive than even stock + Nova.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 24, 2013

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

On my nexus 10 I occasionally get (for one frame or two) 10 or 20 lines of the screen black out then immediately resume function.

Bad screen? Should I be calling samsung?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone have a recommendation on a Galaxy Note 10 case? I picked up a Zaggflex keyboard as I couldn't find a case with a built-in keyboard with solid reviews. Don't need anything heavy duty and a stand is bonus since the keyboard comes with one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't think of a better place to post this but I have a hilariously dumb request: it'd be handy if I could get a case that would hold 2 tablets at once, specifically a kindle touch and a nexus 7. Other than "don't be dumb", any suggestions?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Learn to sew, and stitch two cases together so that you have an inside "cover" acting as a barrier?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Why in the world would you do that?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Because the two devices do entirely different jobs very well? I've got both, I use both, carrying two devices in 2 cases is a little cumbersome. As I said, hilariously retarded but I can't be the only hilarious retard here, otherwise IYG would be a lot quieter :haw:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Is there any way to enter proxy credentials in Jelly Bean? I'm trying to connect to the wireless at my work and while I could do it with my old phone, I can't seem to authenticate with a new Galaxy Tab 2.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there any way to enter proxy credentials in Jelly Bean? I'm trying to connect to the wireless at my work and while I could do it with my old phone, I can't seem to authenticate with a new Galaxy Tab 2.

The proxy stuff shows up under the advanced settings in the Modify Network box.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anyone have an experience with the Galaxy Tab series? Samsung sent me a promo on their new Galaxy Tab 3 series and frankly my 18-month-old ASUS TF201 is getting pretty long in tooth. The specs say '1280x800 TFT' and '1.6GHz Dual Core', is that decent for the up-coming generation of tablets or should I just wait out for a refresh of the Nexus 10 line?

You know, doing some quick comparisons it seems like just a middle of the road tablet.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can the Nook HD+ play 1080p MKV files and/or stream them off an SMB network share? If so, how does it work? What happens if the video uses AC3/DTS audio encoding?

I'd like to use the Nook HD+ as a dedicated video player that I can load with different movies AND automatically download video podcasts overnight so I can watch them the next day, etc.

However, I heard it might not be capable of playing 1080p files...

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

EasyEW posted:

The proxy stuff shows up under the advanced settings in the Modify Network box.

All I get is boxes for the hostname, port, and exceptions. I need to submit a username/password to actually get through to the internet.

There are a bunch of proxy programs on the Market, but they all require root and this is a company-owned device. Even just getting browser access would be really helpful.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fondue posted:

Anyone have an experience with the Galaxy Tab series? Samsung sent me a promo on their new Galaxy Tab 3 series and frankly my 18-month-old ASUS TF201 is getting pretty long in tooth. The specs say '1280x800 TFT' and '1.6GHz Dual Core', is that decent for the up-coming generation of tablets or should I just wait out for a refresh of the Nexus 10 line?

You know, doing some quick comparisons it seems like just a middle of the road tablet.

I don't think it is even middle of the road, it is downright low end. There is no reason to get that over a Nexus 10 right now, let alone after a refresh. Since you've already got something with as good a screen, you'd really only be getting a maybe noticeable processor bump from what you currently have. Definitely not worth it. Wait for something with a massively upgraded screen or go for the Nexus 10.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think it is even middle of the road, it is downright low end. There is no reason to get that over a Nexus 10 right now, let alone after a refresh. Since you've already got something with as good a screen, you'd really only be getting a maybe noticeable processor bump from what you currently have. Definitely not worth it. Wait for something with a massively upgraded screen or go for the Nexus 10.
Thanks, I appreciate that!

I think I'll just wait-out for the next big thing, the new nvidia processor sounds good and I have been anticipating a refresh. Samsungs offer to buy my TF201 as a 'trade-in' to lower the price of the Tab 3 was enticing until I really compared the specs.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Cakefool posted:

Because the two devices do entirely different jobs very well? I've got both, I use both, carrying two devices in 2 cases is a little cumbersome. As I said, hilariously retarded but I can't be the only hilarious retard here, otherwise IYG would be a lot quieter :haw:

Pretty sure you're going to have to make this yourself unless there's some sort of really REALLY edge-case Kickstarter out there

The bright side is that it's not that hard to make something like that if you have access to a sewing machine

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Microsoft were going to release something along the lines as what you're likely thinking in 2010.

Still waiting :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

fondue posted:

This tablet is garbage, wtf is Samsung thinking. $400 for a tablet that would be on par with $400 tablets from 2 years ago.

The Note 10.1 at least has a stylus/wocom to blame for it's low resolution.

EDIT: Well this has an IR blaster so you can control your TV/Other IR stuff. Which is totally useful for tablet but still $400, WTF Samsung!

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 27, 2013