Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

The Tatami Galaxy is awesoome so far. You guys are awesome I have so much poo poo I have to watch now, if only I didn't have a loving job. I just want to be an unemployed otaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

RebBrownies posted:

The Tatami Galaxy is awesoome so far. You guys are awesome I have so much poo poo I have to watch now, if only I didn't have a loving job. I just want to be an unemployed otaku.

I also just started watching Tatami Galaxy the other day. It's been on my list for a while but I rarely enjoy shows that boil down to "watch people make bad choices" so I've put it off. I love the opening and ending, the stylization, really almost everything about it but it's still frustrating for me to watch so I've just been doing an episode or two at a time. I hate that I'm not liking it more but at least it has so much going for it that I'm also not disliking it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RebBrownies posted:

No don't

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone suggest something fun and lively, maybe even a bit of hot blooded action? After watching Anohana and Clannad recently I need to lay off the drama.

e: I was thinking about it, and then the phrase "angry sci-fi" popped into my head. If anyone can figure out what that means, if anything, I guess something along those lines.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 28, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone suggest something fun and lively, maybe even a bit of hot blooded action? After watching Anohana and Clannad recently I need to lay off the drama.

e: I was thinking about it, and then the phrase "angry sci-fi" popped into my head. If anyone can figure out what that means, if anything, I guess something along those lines.

The first thing that comes to mind is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but I feel like everybody's seen that by now (haven't seen any of its spiritual predecessors other than Gun and Diebuster so I can't speak for them). Gonna throw out Redline, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Tiger & Bunny, even though they don't quite fit the criteria. Trigun, Gun x Sword, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are fun oldies as well.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Gurren Lagann is certainly that, if you haven't seen it.

Also Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Birdy the Mighty, Darker than Black (for action), FLCL is extremely fun and lively, Panty & Stocking as well, and Tiger & Bunny.

With regard to Angry Sci-fi, there's Texhnolyze to an extent, Ergo Proxy, and Psycho Pass. Definitely some others I missed, as well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea, I've seen Gurren Lagaan. But honestly, when is that not worth seeing?

Redline was the first thing I ever watched, but it's been a while and I now have plenty of other things to compare it too, so it's probably worth another watch. Unfortunately, I watched a friends copy and don't have one with me now.

I looked up Trigun and I'm loving the premise and the reviews on the wiki. Gonna get started on that right away, and thanks for the recommendation.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just rewatched Akira and now I'm itching for some more cyberpunk related shows. Can anyone recommend some good cyberpunk anime?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sarcophallus posted:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

This is exactly what you want, ViggyNash.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Yea, I've seen Gurren Lagaan. But honestly, when is that not worth seeing?

Redline was the first thing I ever watched, but it's been a while and I now have plenty of other things to compare it too, so it's probably worth another watch. Unfortunately, I watched a friends copy and don't have one with me now.

I looked up Trigun and I'm loving the premise and the reviews on the wiki. Gonna get started on that right away, and thanks for the recommendation.

Get the Redline bluray it is very much worth having on bluray.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

I just rewatched Akira and now I'm itching for some more cyberpunk related shows. Can anyone recommend some good cyberpunk anime?

Ghost in the Shell. All the GitS. SAC, Second Gig, SSS, Innocence, and the just released first episode of Arise. GitS is probably one of the best cyberpunk outings of all time.

Psycho-Pass is also really good imo(written by the Urobutcher, produced by IG who also made GitS), but it has a few technical and design flaws.

Time of EVE is not your usual cyberpunk, but it is still fantastic and one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's a personal top 10 favorite.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Bit similar, but how much is there for "goofy dude(s) fight crime in a setting that doesn't take itself overly seriously?" I'm thinking of stuff Tiger and Bunny or Gurren Lagann as roughly the kinda thing I'm thinking of. Doesn't have to be overly exact to that general description either, since stuff like One Piece would work fine too.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

PonchAxis posted:

"Neo-Tokyo", "Robot Carnival", and "Memories" are cyberpunk anthology films by a lot of the same folks who did "AKIRA"; the first "Ghost in the Shell" movie would fit the criteria too, just make sure you get the original version and not "Ghost in the Shell 2.0", which is a George Lucas treatment of the original version. Read the "AKIRA" manga if you haven't before. The movie covers a very abbreviated and altered version of the first half of the story.

v v v v v v v v
EDIT: Get lost, muike. You wouldn't know a goddamn good anime if one came up to you and bit you on the end of your loving dick.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 28, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
O E D O

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A quick question. Now that Summer's here, I kinda haven't made up my mind on what to watch and given that, while magnificent, Legend of The Galactic Heroes is not precisely a cheery show (except when the most charming man among men appears :allears:) and I kinda want to watch an Anime that's more upbeat in overall tone, a friend made me the recommendation of the Aquarion Duology.

Since he's made me watch some anime that went from so-so to horrible poo poo in the past, I kinda wanted to ask here: Are they any good? I'm not asking for the second coming of Gurren Lagann, I just want to see a series whose characters bust a move and strut their stuff.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

PonchAxis posted:

Serial Experiments Lain

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't Aquarion the mecha show where the robots are powered by orgasms or something like that?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't Aquarion the mecha show where the robots are powered by orgasms or something like that?

Bwahahaha :suicide:

wikipedia posted:

During Unification, the Elements experience an influx of power and energy, which in classic Japanese fan-service style is shown to be a feeling of wondrous power for the men, while for the women it is blatantly orgasmic in nature.

Wark Say posted:

A quick question. Now that Summer's here, I kinda haven't made up my mind on what to watch and given that, while magnificent, Legend of The Galactic Heroes is not precisely a cheery show (except when the most charming man among men appears :allears:) and I kinda want to watch an Anime that's more upbeat in overall tone, a friend made me the recommendation of the Aquarion Duology.

Since he's made me watch some anime that went from so-so to horrible poo poo in the past, I kinda wanted to ask here: Are they any good? I'm not asking for the second coming of Gurren Lagann, I just want to see a series whose characters bust a move and strut their stuff.

Have you seen Hyouka? It's not science fiction or action like some of the other shows you've mentioned, but it is pretty upbeat and a lot of fun in addition to being really well animated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Get the Redline bluray it is very much worth having on bluray.

This is the only way anyone should watch this movie, anything less is a disservice to your eyes :colbert:.

ViggyNash posted:

Dead Leaves is 50 minutes of pure non-stop prison escape. On the Moon. By the same same director responsible for Panty and Stocking, along with the more over-the-top action scenes in FLCL.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dead Leaves is 50 minutes of pure non-stop prison escape. On the Moon. By the same same director responsible for Panty and Stocking, along with the more over-the-top action scenes in FLCL.

So the pre-Trigger guys? I'm down with that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

Bwahahaha :suicide:

Have you seen Hyouka? It's not science fiction or action like some of the other shows you've mentioned, but it is pretty upbeat and a lot of fun in addition to being really well animated.

Hyouka was absolutely fantastic from start to finish and, believe it or not, I thought that the characters were so refreshing that they felt like actual dudes and ladies you could shoot the poo poo with. I've also watched it twice and while I can honestly see myself watching it a third time, I kind of want to see a series with an upbeat tone inside a sci-fi / mecha setting. But...

Captain Invictus posted:

... if this is remotely true, Aquarion can gently go gently caress itself. I really need to give my buddy a smack upside the head.

Like, I'm not against a little T&A / Fanservice or whatever because hell, Game of Thrones has that in spades and that doesn't make the show lovely, but if I'm going to watch slightly different variations of the same bloody guys and the same bloody girls having re-imagined scenes of them checking their brains out, I can sit this one out. If you guys and gals have another recommendation among the lines of what I mentioned, I'm open to recommendations. :)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm curious Wark, did your friend ever suggest School Days to you?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Dragonatrix posted:

Bit similar, but how much is there for "goofy dude(s) fight crime in a setting that doesn't take itself overly seriously?" I'm thinking of stuff Tiger and Bunny or Gurren Lagann as roughly the kinda thing I'm thinking of. Doesn't have to be overly exact to that general description either, since stuff like One Piece would work fine too.

It's not always crime, but Gintama is kind of similar. They're just lazy bums who have an odd-jobs business and sometimes beat up criminals for being dicks, and sometimes get into fights with the law because they're dicks too. And the setting doesn't even come close to taking itself seriously, it's an alt-history Japan where instead of Commodore Perry arriving, it was aliens.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

I kind of want to see a series with an upbeat tone inside a sci-fi / mecha setting. But...

Bodacious Space Pirates

That's a serious answer by the way, there's basically no fanservice and I thought it was a super fun science fiction adventure story, with a good batch of characters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ I'll check it out, a kitten. Thanks!

ViggyNash posted:

I'm curious Wark, did your friend ever suggest School Days to you?

Oh no. Noooooope. School Days was back in 2008, when I was still doing Software Development / Testing as a full-time gig. I remember it perfectly: The person who recommended me School Days was also the lady with who I watched all of Code Geass and we even watched as R2 was coming out. It also made me stumble into this forum for the first time. I still remember that she made me the School Days recommendation a day after we watched the second to last episode of CG:R2 and she lent me the series in a USB thumb drive.

I stopped watching/following anime for almost a year afterwards. It wasn't until I went to Tokyo in March of 2009 to do record engineering. Found out (out of the Voice Actors' mouths, no less) that FMA: Brotherhood was a thing that was happening / about to happen. It was also the month that I spent being bros with Tomokazu Sugita and I still owe that dorky fellow my life because he actually made the effort of getting me to cheer the gently caress up. Also to realize that bars are loving packed at night. No exceptions.

Sorry if that went off a weird tangent. But yeah, School Days remains a... peculiar mark in my Anime-watching history. And I'm still accepting recommendations on that upbeat anime with mechas / sci-fi.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 28, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is another very important question. Did you like the boat?

As far as a recommendation, I'd say Robotics;Notes. Overall, it's a pretty upbeat show about a group of kids who want to make a giant robot. The thing with R;N and it's relatives, Steins;Gate (both the anime and VN are among the best of the best in their respective genre) and Chaos;Head (do not watch the anime, play the VN if you're interested), is that they are all about wacky science, though the science aspects (especially in S;G and R;N) are exceptionally well researched.

While R;N may not be the best show around, it's a lot of fun as it has much of the silly, but fantastic, situational humor of S;G. It darkens a little later in the show, but it perks up again right at the end. I certainly had fun watching it.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah I actually really enjoyed Robotic;Notes, I think it definitely fits what you're looking for.

It has its serious moments but for the most part it's just a really fun show.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So despite my better judgement it seems there's a bunch of interesting anime out there, even if it initially all seems like fantasy magic bread wars or some poo poo.

I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed;
Baccano!
GitS (all of it)
The first season of Bleach (after which I lost interest)
Berserk
Death Note
Bits and pieces of FMA (which I enjoyed but have yet to pursue)
Trigun
Cowboy Beebop
Hellsing (regular, not Ultimate? OVA/TV distinctions are something I don't understand yet)
What I've seen of some mecha series with mechas that could extend their chasis on cables/fibres in a seemingly feudal Japanese town :shrug:
What I believe was a movie in the Gundam Wing universe/continuity
Some anime about kids/teens with crazy powers in some kind of prison hellhole with IIRC an amnesiac protagonist. Blood magic/power of some sort was involved.

The only things that really turn me off anime are stupid fantastical stuff and badly/overly acted child characters. That's not to say I can't enjoy something fantastical, and maybe fantastical isn't the right word for it. Like I mentioned, that one anime about a guy who makes magic bread is just stupid and uninteresting to me.

With all that in mind I'm looking for sci-fi, mecha or otherwise, historical, period America but I'm open to other time periods if it's serious or well done (magic is fine in historical stuff) and "dark" anime in the vein of Hellsing or Baccano!. I'm fine with even tentative things within any mix of those areas, or things verging on them, since I'm looking for new stuff, I'm just stupid and picky about it.

Also if anyone knows the names of the two I vaguely described that'd be great.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 28, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The animes I recommend to everyone:

Time of Eve - Scifi, androids, based on Asimov's 3 laws, lovely.
Tatami Galaxy - Riotous, comprehensively monologued kind-of-anime-groundhog-day.
Master Keaton - All-round expert and amateur archaeologist goes around the world solving problems with his enormous brain (some of which is stored in his bulbous nose) and SAS training.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - The most recommended anime on here - with reason. A panoply of amazing characters play out their dramas on a scale unseen before or since.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Orv posted:

Some anime about kids/teens with crazy powers in some kind of prison hellhole with IIRC an amnesiac protagonist. Blood magic/power of some sort was involved.

You're probably thinking of Deadman Wonderland.

Someone comes in and asks the exact same question you are every couple of pages; I always get a kick out of it because honestly I think a lot of the shows everyone quotes as "I don't like anime, but this was great!" aren't nearly as mature as they are just dark, and a lot of shows with teenage protagonists have more depth than a blanket dismissal allows.

That said, I know this because it's how I got into the medium, so I'm not judging too harshly. If you really liked Hellsing watch the OVA, it's a complete remake of the series and I don't think I've ever met a Hellsing fan who didn't prefer it to the TV version.

You might also enjoy Shiki, Gankutsuou, Claymore, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (<- pick this one), The Thousand Stories, Samurai Champloo, if you watch FMA do Brotherhood and not the first series, and maybe Fate/Zero?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Sounds like you saw Deadman Wonderland (prison) and Code Geass (mecha). I have no idea what magic bread anime is. Anyways, Spice and Wolf might be good, as well as Turn A Gundam. Hellsing Ultimate is worth watching given the tv series basically overtook the original manga so they went with a completely different plotline. The first season of Darker than Black is also pretty solid. Monster might also be worth looking into if you wanna try something more psychological.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Someone comes in and asks the exact same question you are every couple of pages; I always get a kick out of it because honestly I think a lot of the shows everyone quotes as "I don't like anime, but this was great!" aren't nearly as mature as they are just dark, and a lot of shows with teenage protagonists have more depth than a blanket dismissal allows.
I had the same route into anime and I sort of agree with you, but I still don't particularly like stuff with teenage protagonists and I wish there were more shows focusing on adults that didn't use it as an excuse to go back to the days of sarariman titillation*. I think that's one of the reasons that I'm often intrigued by 'josei' stuff because it reflects adult life without it being all about sex and violence.

*That said, I'll always have a place in my heart for horrible stuff like Genocyber because it was basically all that was available in 90s UK.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Haha, yeah, I've been saying "gently caress anime!" for years because of some pretty bad early recommendations but I think I've finally enjoyed enough of it to start looking for stuff instead of just running across it.

Thanks for the recommendations all, I'll let you know what I think of some or most of them eventually.

E: Spot on on Deadman and Geass as well, cheers.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 28, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Step 1)Cowboy Bebop
Step 2)Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan

You now love anime forever and cannot escape.

e:Speaking of bad recommendations, did someone, by any chance, recommend School Days?

I've been wondering how many people watched the show unironically and without being goaded or tricked into it. I ended up liking it because of that :tviv: ending. I unironically believe it was one of the best endings I've ever seen.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 28, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

With all that in mind I'm looking for sci-fi, mecha or otherwise, historical, period America but I'm open to other time periods if it's serious or well done (magic is fine in historical stuff) and "dark" anime in the vein of Hellsing or Baccano!. I'm fine with even tentative things within any mix of those areas, or things verging on them, since I'm looking for new stuff, I'm just stupid and picky about it.

Sci-Fi: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Time of Eve
Mecha: Giant Robo, Gurren Lagann
Some Weird Mix of Victorian Style Setting and Mecha: Turn-A Gundam
Dark: Madoka Magica unless you're REALLY adverse to children in anime

Also these sorts of "I'm new to anime" requests are what ADTRWiki is best at. Check this page out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Sci-Fi: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Time of Eve
Mecha: Giant Robo, Gurren Lagann
Some Weird Mix of Victorian Style Setting and Mecha: Turn-A Gundam
Dark: Madoka Magica unless you're REALLY adverse to children in anime

Also these sorts of "I'm new to anime" requests are what ADTRWiki is best at. Check this page out.

Madoka Magica's characters are exceptionally well written. If you can get past them being children, you are in for a fantastic story in a near perfect show. This is one of my top 10 favorites.

Time of EVE is another top 10 favorite of mine that literally anyone can enjoy.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
If we're posting stuff that everyone should watch, I'll propose R.O.D. (Read or Die) the 3-episode OVA (not the TV series).

In a modern-day setting, the special agents of the Great British Library must fight evil super-powered clones of great geniuses from throughout history. The heroine has absolute mastery and control of paper. The animation is gorgeous, with a vibrant color palette and fantastic action choreography, and the soundtrack is also a treat. It's oozing with style and has substance to match.

The followup TV series, though it had a few great moments, was a big disappointment. It followed a new team of protagonists and outstayed its welcome. It would have made a far better 13 episode series rather than 26. Regardless, the OVA is a must watch.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Time of Eve is very well made but the premise and plot are really dumb and ultimately meaningless. They even shoehorned in Asimov's idiotic laws to complete the sci-fi circle jerk.

Madoka Magica's glaring flaw is that it really lacks compelling characters and dialogue, but is otherwise the best written anime I've seen. It's intelligent and actually pretty meaningful. That poo poo's hard to find so I recommend it even if you hate the characters or children in general.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Time of Eve is very well made but the premise and plot are really dumb and ultimately meaningless. They even shoehorned in Asimov's idiotic laws to complete the sci-fi circle jerk.

I cannot accept this at all. You entirely missed the point of the show.

I'm not going to bother arguing with that statement. It is a false statement, and nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Orv posted:

"dark" anime in the vein of Hellsing or Baccano!.

Try Black Lagoon. It's an anime send up to 90s anti-hero action movies. It's got guns, swearing, explosions, guns, blood, sex, organized crime, more guns, and Nazis!

• Locked thread