Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Why did I think it would be a good idea to marry my heir to her great-uncle.

Curse you incest, O' great destroyer of empires. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I just had probably my closest fought war ever. At one point I had no men and was down to a -97% warscore against the byzantine empire, but then I started assassinating some peopleand that slowed them down enough for me to claw my war back to a total victory. How many people did I kill you ask?

Well after 5 rulers in a year the Emperor is now an anglo-saxon catholic and the house Doukas has been almost completely eliminated.

I had this running through my head the whole time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IowunN9Y5yE

Also because my cousin is ruling Bulgaria they have become almost entirely catholic. I think Orthodoxy is probably going to be entirely wiped out before I get to 1100.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
It took 200 years, but I've finally become Emperor of Britannia. :)

This game is amazing, but it's loving hard. So much so that I'm a little afraid to try a non-Ireland playthrough. Maybe I'll make an attempt at Hispania, although it seems Muslims would be a huge problem.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Cody Banks posted:

This game is amazing, but it's loving hard. So much so that I'm a little afraid to try a non-Ireland playthrough. Maybe I'll make an attempt at Hispania, although it seems Muslims would be a huge problem.

It can be quite hard for beginners, but once holy orders begin to appear it becomes rib crushingly easy.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Half the fun of Crusader Kings is losing everything and building yourself back up again. I think one of my favourite games was as a dutch family building Frisia and becoming Holy Roman Emperor before losing everything in a series of horrific civil wars and lunatic kings and then building a new empire from the last remaining part of my family who had become arabic sheiks sometime during the crusades.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone know if the performance mod posted in the OP is compatible with The Old Gods? It hasn't been updated since 2012 and the mod's developer is nowhere to be found. I've kind of come to rely on it, as my old-rear end computer can barely run CK2 without it (well, it runs, it's just waaay too loving slow and choppy to be playable).

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

chunkles posted:

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the Seljuks as Russia? I'm emperor of reformed Suomenusko Russia early 11th century, have most of the de jure counties of Russia, and they really want to fight me and subjugate Ruthenia. I've been save scumming but pretty much every time I try to expand a little more they declare holy war on me. I'm not very good at combat, I guess I should just get better and declare holy war on their rear end first.

Let them come to you. You get a huge bonus as Suomenusko when fighting in provinces of your own religion (I think it's +80% to all unit stats). Also, let them waste troops on attrition and assault fortresses. Assuming you can raise at least 20-30k soldiers, they'll also be way over the attrition limit if they try to outnumber you. Once the big stacks are weakened, you can beat them pretty handily unless they outnumber you by 2 to 1 or more.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Non Sequitur posted:

Let them come to you. You get a huge bonus as Suomenusko when fighting in provinces of your own religion (I think it's +80% to all unit stats). Also, let them waste troops on attrition and assault fortresses. Assuming you can raise at least 20-30k soldiers, they'll also be way over the attrition limit if they try to outnumber you. Once the big stacks are weakened, you can beat them pretty handily unless they outnumber you by 2 to 1 or more.

Don't you lose the combat bonuses and attrition once you're reformed?

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Sam. posted:

Don't you lose the combat bonuses and attrition once you're reformed?

You don't lose the combat bonus. You do lose the -95% supply limit for enemies when you reform, but they'll still get attrition in your territory if their stacks exceed 10k or so (smaller limit in mountains/tundra, higher in plains). A united Russia should certainly be able to field 20-30k, so they're faced with a choice between having stacks small enough for you to crush and taking heavy attrition.

The combat bonus is only in your provinces of your religion, so make sure you're not fighting them in Tengri or Slavic territory.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Cody Banks posted:

Holy Wars help a ton. If you wait for the right moment to strike you can take huge chunks of land at a time, and there are enough different rulers that you can constantly be at war (if you want to be).

Also if your craven posessed King who thinks he speaks to jesus gets told by the lord that he needs to join the Lollard heresy it becomes incredibly easy when you can declare Holy War on other Catholics :getin:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I just started playing this game this weekend and feel like I have a decent grip on most of the basic stuff, but I was wondering, is there any way on a map to view the size of levies that other countries/counts/dukes can raise? Or a screen that shows you the max amount of soldiers they can raise? Right now I've just been ball parking whether they have military based on their size but there's gotta be a better way.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

attackmole posted:

I just started playing this game this weekend and feel like I have a decent grip on most of the basic stuff, but I was wondering, is there any way on a map to view the size of levies that other countries/counts/dukes can raise? Or a screen that shows you the max amount of soldiers they can raise? Right now I've just been ball parking whether they have military based on their size but there's gotta be a better way.

When you bring up the Emperor or King of a realm there is three buttons over on the right hand side. One Family Tree, One Dynasty Tree and one says Realm Tree. Click the Realm tree and hover over his name and it will tell you what he is capable of raising. Keep in mind his gold pile and if it's a cross religion war because he will buy or hire holy orders.

There is an option in the ledger to see all realms and their levies by army size but there is too many pages to sort through. It really needs an index.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Frijolero posted:

How do you all play, as far as speed? Lately I've been waiting for my King to die so I sped time to the fullest. But usually I keep it at 3x. On what speed do you usually play?

Paradox games are turn-based games with variable length turns. They are always played at maximum speed and are paused any time something happens or a button needs to be pressed. Any button. Or even if you need to look up some info, game gets paused. This is the One True Way to play. Nothing is ever done when the game is running. That's when your next turn is processing.

Also, you always play in political map mode, unless you need to momentarily pause the game to check something in some other (lesser) map mode.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Oh goddamn, zoroastrian playthroughs are the best, they literally feel like an actual hard mode difficulty!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox games are turn-based games with variable length turns. They are always played at maximum speed and are paused any time something happens or a button needs to be pressed. Any button. Or even if you need to look up some info, game gets paused. This is the One True Way to play. Nothing is ever done when the game is running. That's when your next turn is processing.

Also, you always play in political map mode, unless you need to momentarily pause the game to check something in some other (lesser) map mode.

Hello you appear to be me this is peculiar.

(I play on speed 3 or 4 during most wars though)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm a lesser count to the duchess of Tuscany and she declares war on the HRE, do all my guys and vassals guys get levied up automatically? Do I have a say at all? What about my own dudes?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Trying to sync up army movements at max speed is something everyone should enjoy.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Trade Republic question:

I built a trade post on the county I own, should i have done this? Or should I have stuck it elsewhere?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There isn't anything wrong with it, though when playing CK2+ as a Republic you should think about sticking them in places you want to conquer. Sicily especially is perfect for covering the duchy in trade posts for the casus belli.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Rynoto posted:

There isn't anything wrong with it, though when playing CK2+ as a Republic you should think about sticking them in places you want to conquer. Sicily especially is perfect for covering the duchy in trade posts for the casus belli.

Not playing CK2+ so is this still relevant?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Trade Republic question:

I built a trade post on the county I own, should i have done this? Or should I have stuck it elsewhere?

I always put one in my capital, because it seems to get the extra income bonus from your steward.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Geokinesis posted:

Not playing CK2+ so is this still relevant?

Not entirely sure if vanilla Republics still have the automatic casus belli for coastal provinces or not, actually!

If they work the same as in CK2+ then having a port inside another county gives you the ability to take the county.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Gavelkind owns.

Or, the inability of AI rulers to manage Gavelkind owns.
After a few succession splits, the Karlings still owned most of Western Europe, with the King of Italy the most prominent.
And then he died.
And all that land became a bit of a free-for-all. :getin:

What made this particularly great was that the previously stable England had been nuked by an 84-year old King and his unpopular 23-year old grandson heir. Who was killed, leaving a 2-year old girl on the throne.

And here lies my biggest problem with the AI in CK2 - it's so focussed on maximising personal gain, it completely ignores other risks.
Like: the Fylkir/Emperor of Scandinavia has a lot of territory in Skotland, but I'm sure if we declare Independence from England, nothing bad will happen :downs:
Like: hey, those two other Counties were totally rear end-hosed by Scandinavian forces, but I'm sure it'll be different when we declare Independence :downs:
Like: I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Scandinavia are taking all the coastal provinces on mainland Europe; let's declare Independence anyway :downs:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

kingturnip posted:

And here lies my biggest problem with the AI in CK2 - it's so focussed on maximising personal gain, it completely ignores other risks.
That's actually a pretty decent sum-up of the actual dark age politics that made Europe such a hellhole for a few centuries, though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The nice thing about Elective is picking the best member of your entire dynasty for succession. And then the game does this.

Paradox, why do you do these things to me :qq:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm getting a steadily increasing "Vassal Levies Raised Too Long" but I don't have any levies up. Why?

Edit: Of course, after half an hour of trying to figure it out, and thus posting here, I find it. Ship Levies were raised, and I had forgotten about them.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 28, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Iunnrais posted:

I'm getting a steadily increasing "Vassal Levies Raised Too Long" but I don't have any levies up. Why?

Edit: Of course, after half an hour of trying to figure it out, and thus posting here, I find it. Ship Levies were raised, and I had forgotten about them.

You can edit the window on the right side that has the list of your holdings and suchlike to also include lists of your armies and navies. It helps a lot.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Has anyone else encountered a bug in CK2+ in which they are unable to arrange marriages with any women outside of their own demesne? I'm trying to marry off my heir and it's getting loving annoying. Every single time I try to marry an eligible woman it's not allowed, with the reason given being '<woman's name> is my lover'. It gives this reason even if the woman in question has no lover.

This is kind of a major bug, as being unable to marry outside of your own realm makes it basically impossible to marry for political reasons, which is a significant part of the game. I'm going to try playing vanilla for a bit to see if the bug is unique to CK2+.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I've never had that problem.

I've been making use of excommunications for the first time because for some reason I never noticed how goddamn awesome they are. Before I'd just request them on a plot target to help gather support. But playing as the Duke of York who rose in rebellion against his new Norman king, excommunication has been a handy tool.

I fabricated a claim on England, called my Duke nephew and the remaining Godwin dukes into the war, and smashed the Normans. William the Conqueror fell against me in battle, so I ended up with his son in prison and my rear end on the throne. I decided to see what the penalty would be for executing him and bam, he's excommunicated so no one cares.

I've been able to really prune the Normandie family tree by excommunication. And everyone still loves me because I'm just lopping off the heads of dudes the Pope kicks out of church.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

I'm going to try playing vanilla for a bit to see if the bug is unique to CK2+.

It's not. I've seen it a few times playing vanilla and 'charinfo' doesn't seem to illuminate the situation either.
The only thing I can't work out is if this is an AI version of Concubines for female rulers or just a bug.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
It begins! :stare:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Mister Bates posted:

Has anyone else encountered a bug in CK2+ in which they are unable to arrange marriages with any women outside of their own demesne? I'm trying to marry off my heir and it's getting loving annoying. Every single time I try to marry an eligible woman it's not allowed, with the reason given being '<woman's name> is my lover'. It gives this reason even if the woman in question has no lover.

This is kind of a major bug, as being unable to marry outside of your own realm makes it basically impossible to marry for political reasons, which is a significant part of the game. I'm going to try playing vanilla for a bit to see if the bug is unique to CK2+.

Is it the problem that was mentioned earlier where the people you are trying to marry are heathens and it gives you the 'lover' message instead?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nolanar posted:

The nice thing about Elective is picking the best member of your entire dynasty for succession. And then the game does this.

Paradox, why do you do these things to me :qq:

:ck2:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

chunkles posted:

Is it the problem that was mentioned earlier where the people you are trying to marry are heathens and it gives you the 'lover' message instead?

Yeah, pretty sure that's the issue, I'm playing as Rurik and almost all the unmarried women in the world are considered 'heathens' relative to me. So is that intended behavior for the game? Are we not allowed to marry outside of our religion any more? What about my medieval eugenics program? :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whenever a new thread gets made the title should be "Previous thread died of natural causes."

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can you not revoke titular duchies? I got the Emir of Zaragoza messing up my perfect dejure duchies and it's starting to chap my rear end.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry if this gets asked all the time, (I couldn't find anything useful/conclusive on Google, so I thought it might be worth a shot asking) but how come none of my characters get lifestyle traits in vanilla CK2? (other than the handful of times I've gotten the mystic trait from randomly getting a strange book) Since I've played for over 160hrs and almost everyone else in my court always seem to get scholar/duelist/poet/etc. and my character doesn't get any, aside from the rare mystic trait, and I think possibly becoming a gardener once. Since I mean, I would've thought that if your character lives a good length of time, he/she would eventually get one, since well, it's not like they're sitting in a room staring at an inanimate object all their lives or anything, *ahem* so surely they do something with their time, like all the scholars and duelists I see around.

But yeah, sorry if this is a bit of a stupid/pointless question, but yeah, I'm just curious if it's just me who seems to get no lifestyle/blue-shield traits. :shobon:

EDIT: vvv Ah yeah, that's the gardener one, isn't it? For sending roses instead of money/maiming his messengers? Yeah I've only gotten that once or twice. You could be right about me just picking the wrong option though - although normally I remember past events and whether the option I picked previously got me anything good or not, so I know whether I should pick the same one again, heh. (that's possibly slightly cheating I suppose, though!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 28, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Sorry if this gets asked all the time, (I couldn't find anything useful/conclusive on Google, so I thought it might be worth a shot asking) but how come none of my characters get lifestyle traits in vanilla CK2? (other than the handful of times I've gotten the mystic trait from randomly getting a strange book) Since I've played for over 160hrs and almost everyone else in my court always seem to get scholar/duelist/poet/etc. and my character doesn't get any, aside from the rare mystic trait, and I think possibly becoming a gardener once. Since I mean, I would've thought that if your character lives a good length of time, he/she would eventually get one, since well, it's not like they're sitting in a room staring at an inanimate object all their lives or anything, *ahem* so surely they do something with their time, like all the scholars and duelists I see around.

But yeah, sorry if this is a bit of a stupid/pointless question, but yeah, I'm just curious if it's just me who seems to get no lifestyle/blue-shield traits. :shobon:

As far as I can tell, you're probably getting the events to get the traits, but not following them to the path that gives you the trait. The "nettlesome neighbour" quest is one that I can think of.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, pretty sure that's the issue, I'm playing as Rurik and almost all the unmarried women in the world are considered 'heathens' relative to me. So is that intended behavior for the game? Are we not allowed to marry outside of our religion any more? What about my medieval eugenics program? :negative:

Yeah it's really bumming me out as Suomenusko Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Something somebody just pointed out in the Ck2+ thread on paradox plaza: "The AI never forms secondary duchies or kingdoms whether gavelkind or otherwise, it's not as noticeable in Vanilla because of different CB's which give duchy titles."

So this is why the AI isn't forming kingdoms in CK2+, because it can't form the duchies.

Well that sucks.

• Locked thread