Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I cringe to use a line from Jeff Foxworthy, but it's the truth: It's not that there are more stupid people in the South than anywhere else. It's that in the South, we can't keep our stupid people from getting on TV all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, they're apparently letting her go at the end of June.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, they're apparently letting her go at the end of June.

That's a strong, swift, and completely appropriate reaction. She'll still have a lucrative career in the south. Plus in a few years she can make a comeback if the diabetes doesn't get her first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57590532/paula-deens-food-network-contract-wont-be-renewed/

Her apology video is kind of sad, for what it's worth.

She also made another apology video today after she was to appear on the Today Show but didn't show up (honestly, I wouldn't go on that show either...it'd be awkward as gently caress even if it was for something good..).

She said she just couldn't bring herself to go talk about it. She's probably pretty depressed if her past depression and anxiety problems are any indication.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Vanderdeath posted:

I've lived down here for 13 years, so I'm rather firm in that assessment.

It's also a joke because I have family from Georgia.

The one thing I do hope for is Food Network's termination of her programming and her subsequent job termination along with it. If Irvine got kiboshed for a bit because of his resume flub then I think Deen should get kicked to the curb hard and lose all of her endorsements.

I was going to type up a whiny cynical reply to this about how nothing would happen to Deen, but then she got fired! :woop:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Maybe with Deen gone the Food Network will actually show episodes from the NFNS winner's show!?

Ehhh who am I kidding, they'll probably just replace it with more reruns of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives and Mystery Diners.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder what they'll do with her sons.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder what they'll do with her sons.

Unless they finally cut their umbilical chords and ween them off breastfeeding, I think the sons have to leave with her.

My mom thinks it's unfair Paula's being let go, reasoning essentially being Paula said the N-word a "long time ago" and was raised in a time when it was OK to use it, and it's not easy to break those habits, and it's not necessarily meant to be hateful, just ignorant.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Except for the part where she admits she was aware her brother and business partner was still saying racist things, even at work, and that she seems to defend it as "jokes". That's kind of the point of the whole deposition, the horrible poo poo her brother was doing in her places of business and whether she knew about it (apparently she did?)

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
I kind of feel like the stuff with her brother being a sexist creep got washed away under the racism accusations. Not saying she isn't a racist twit, mind you, 'cause she pretty much is -- but it just came as a surprise to me that not a lot of people were mentioning that (even Tumblr users talking about the issue didn't bring it up and they'll chomp at the bit at anything they can have social justice crusades against.)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Titled "More Butter"

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hahahahaha, I think I know why Rodney left the music business for the food business. So bad.

Edit: Oh God, Giada pronouncing spaghetti.

Also We may not have seen the last of Dansuhka! Robert Irvine is having some sort of Salvation Competition where one of the 4 first people who got kicked off gets a second chance to rejoin the competition!

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 24, 2013

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"Spigiti" Jesus christ.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I may have misheard, but I think she pronounced it normally the second time when they were talking about it at the elimination table! That could just be because Alton gave her poo poo about it when she first said it though.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Is there something in Sandra Lee's contract that prevents them from making GBS threads all over Lovely for using pre-made pizza dough instead of making something from scratch?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BXCX posted:

Is there something in Sandra Lee's contract that prevents them from making GBS threads all over Lovely for using pre-made pizza dough instead of making something from scratch?

Sandra Lee has no business questioning the quality of anyone's cooking.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Spoeank posted:

"Spigiti" Jesus christ.

My draw dropped when she said that. I don't watch her show, but I have heard people complain about her pronunciation of Italian foods before. But this was way overboard. I have literally never heard a single person pronounce spaghetti that way in my life, and that is with me knowing a few Italian families and eating with them. I think the only time I have ever heard Italians use a different pronunciation was for ricotta and mozzarella.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ToastyPotato posted:

My draw dropped when she said that. I don't watch her show, but I have heard people complain about her pronunciation of Italian foods before. But this was way overboard. I have literally never heard a single person pronounce spaghetti that way in my life, and that is with me knowing a few Italian families and eating with them. I think the only time I have ever heard Italians use a different pronunciation was for ricotta and mozzarella.

Gabbagool

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Giada was just on Conan a couple weeks ago doing a demo for some horrible looking chocolate pasta and said "spigiti" about 200 times. Conan definitely made fun of her about it and it was great.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I can kind of understand why she does it. She moved to the U.S. at the age of 7 and goofy as it sounds, it's really hard to let go of how you say some words, especially if you think everyone else is saying it wrong.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
DANUSHKA STILL HAS A SHOT!! It's down to Danushka and Lovely for the "Food Network Star Redemption Challenge"

It's hilarious how much Andre mentioned his weight loss in the Redemption challenge since he tried so hard to separate himself from it in the actual show.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I can kind of understand why she does it. She moved to the U.S. at the age of 7 and goofy as it sounds, it's really hard to let go of how you say some words, especially if you think everyone else is saying it wrong.

That's most likely exactly what it is. That's probably how she was raised pronouncing it and that's how she'll always say it. I grew up speaking a dialect from the south of Italy and my cousins from around Rome and I pronounce things different all the time. It's part of the language. There's the official way, the way your parents were raised saying it, and for those of us who's parents immigrated you get the bastard way we tend to say it due to our English vowel habits.

All that being said, she needs to stop butchering the damned word. It's not some rustic culinary golden cow. It's spaghetti.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh my god mootzarelli is actually how Italian people say mozzarella? I thought all these hosts and chefs were just making asses of themselves. :gonk:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
How dumb do you have to be to think that pizza dough can be used to make doughnuts? Seriously what the gently caress WAS that?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

How dumb do you have to be to think that pizza dough can be used to make doughnuts? Seriously what the gently caress WAS that?

She didn't just think it COULD be used, potentially, she actually thought it was good and "yummy". I was sitting there thinking that she had never had a donut in her life.

MadiTC posted:

Oh my god mootzarelli is actually how Italian people say mozzarella? I thought all these hosts and chefs were just making asses of themselves. :gonk:

I was taught this in Little Italy in NYC and then I started noticing more often as time went on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I think this stems from people using biscuit dough from cans to make doughnuts.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

To be fair, I'd be trying to make a donut out of any other pastry right now, to get on that sweet cronut bandwagon.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
On the other hand, pizza dough (flat) fried or baked and dusted in cinnamon and sugar is excellent. Not donuty, but still tasty.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
"The women have food network have a serious authority about them"

Because when I think of culinary authority, I think of Giada, Paula Dean, and Sandra Lee.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Michael Voltaggio vs. Bobby Flay, right now.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Looks like Flay did well on taste but undoubtedly Voltaggio will prevail based on originality.

e: or not...

gret fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 1, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

dude789 posted:

Because when I think of culinary authority, I think of Giada, Paula Dean, and Sandra Lee.

When I think of females with culinary authority, I think of the people I actually liked who are not on Food Network anymore, like Aida Mollencamp and Claire Robinson.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

dude789 posted:

Haha, my girlfriend was watching this in the other room and I couldn't help but crack up when Bobby Flay said that. With Giada, a ridiculous caricature of a person sitting next to him. He is such a loving tool sometimes.

edit: you left off Anne Burrell who is simply intolerable

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure that the only person left on FN that's not a "celebrity" is Alton Brown. I don't know if Michael Symon is still there or not or even Morimoto but they'd count too along with Alton.

Everyone else can barely cook and seem to just be there to be celebrities who sometimes touch food but have "great" stories..

They remind me sort of Paris Hilton and the Kardashians who don't seem to do much but are still famous anyway for some reason... Especially Sandra.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I thought Viet would last longer but I don't really buy anyone this season as a potential star, honestly. Granted the bar for success post-show has been significantly lowered by Justin, but still. I like Russell but he can't stay out of the elimination hotseat.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only person left on FN that's not a "celebrity" is Alton Brown.

The dude can have a one-man show and draw a crowd. Look up the Good Eats live show for proof. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't see it.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 1, 2013

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only person left on FN that's not a "celebrity" is Alton Brown. I don't know if Michael Symon is still there or not or even Morimoto but they'd count too along with Alton.

Symon & Morimoto really only show up on Iron Chef America these days. I think Symon still has some shows on Cooking Channel but these days you can see him doing his thing on The Chew, which is much more entertaining and informative than anything Food Network has put out lately. As for Morimoto, Food Network seems to think people are too stupid to understand him since they subtitle everything he says on Iron Chef. So I doubt he'd ever get his own show but really why would he want one at this point?

I really don't get Food Network's obsession with "stories" and "relatability" when it comes to its shows these days. Especially because there's very little actual cooking on in primetime.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I thought Viet would last longer but I don't really buy anyone this season as a potential star, honestly. Granted the bar for success post-show has been significantly lowered by Justin, but still. I like Russell but he can't stay out of the elimination hotseat.

The dude can have a one-man show and draw a crowd. Look up the Good Eats live show for proof. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't see it.

Stacey seems a bit generic, but still likeable and knowledgeable. I have the feeling that she would have a decent if unremarkable show, and based on her performance in the challenges she's probably the favorite. Damaris's show would probably also be fun in a trainwreck sort of way.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

dude789 posted:

Stacey seems a bit generic, but still likeable and knowledgeable. I have the feeling that she would have a decent if unremarkable show, and based on her performance in the challenges she's probably the favorite. Damaris's show would probably also be fun in a trainwreck sort of way.

I always love the comments from the judges where they're like "Well, we want to see this person work on their flaws," but then to someone else, they're like "Well, you're perfect, but you're TOO perfect. We want to see more flaws from you." Oh no Damaris is having too much fun and they think she is too sexy (Her? Also, the same network with Giada's tits hanging out everywhere I look?), but Stacy is knocking it out of the park and it's no fun when they can't criticize someone so BOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIINNGGGG.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Alton Brown just posted this on his Facebook page (and I assume Twitter).

I haven't been watching Food Network Star, but I saw that you guys were complaining about Giada pronouncing spaghetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jamesman posted:

I always love the comments from the judges where they're like "Well, we want to see this person work on their flaws," but then to someone else, they're like "Well, you're perfect, but you're TOO perfect. We want to see more flaws from you." Oh no Damaris is having too much fun and they think she is too sexy (Her? Also, the same network with Giada's tits hanging out everywhere I look?), but Stacy is knocking it out of the park and it's no fun when they can't criticize someone so BOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIINNGGGG.

I think that's more of a "Giada's outfits are a bit pandering" vs Damaris' acting like a lusty southern wench.

My problem with this current bunch of star candidates is none of them other than maybe Nikki really have a decent theme for what they want to do. While I personally have little interest in Nikki's "sorta vegetarian" thing, she can at least speak on camera and has a decent concept for a show since she's been doing one for a while already. Nikki, Stacy, and Chad (and maybe Chris) are about the only ones I could even see myself watching.

I couldn't even tell you what Viet's gimmick was. Lovely's was just dumb. Pie guy that can't make pies isn't really doing it for me and neither is Russel's underground cage food fighting. Overall I found this to be a pretty weak group of contestants.

• Locked thread