Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus Japan has spoken out and said that physical/digital releases, DLC, and support for Dragon's Crown, Shin Megami Tensei 4, and the newest Etrian Odyssey will not be affected by this. Persona Japan told everyone that everything's cool and everyone should calm down.

So I guess Atlus as a whole isn't going to be hurt by this if they've got Teddie saying chill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I'll say this much though-while those seem to be business as planned, methinks DC's EU release just got a little more doomed. (Problem was, it didn't, as far as I know, have a very stable EU release to begin with, like it did in Japan and the US.) This is kinda bad for a genre that's about a hundred times more fun in multiplayer(though the systems are region-free so in theory EU people who wanted it bad enough could try to import, as long as they don't say 'Whoops, no, this game is region-locked.')

I think SMT4 is still safe for Europe, from what I know though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The final episode of Devil Survivor 2 is out today at 2pm eastern. You can grab a crunchyroll 48 hour pass from this thread and marathon through the whole series, or if you wait until next week they will all be free with commercials (they are all out now except for the last episode.)

On the atlus thing: What about Devil Survivor 2 Break Record being canceled? They already delayed it for "quality issues"

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Holy poo poo, Google Translate is so goddamn amazing. "Bear Good evening. Bear I'm sorry if you are worried apologize once again. Bear doing its best to be delivered as interesting game to everyone in the future Bears. Bears want to come with you to believe. Atlas is immortal bear forever!"

Atlus is immortal bear forever, bitches. :whatup:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

klapman posted:

Holy poo poo, Google Translate is so goddamn amazing. "Bear Good evening. Bear I'm sorry if you are worried apologize once again. Bear doing its best to be delivered as interesting game to everyone in the future Bears. Bears want to come with you to believe. Atlas is immortal bear forever!"

In persona 4, instead of making Bear puns, Teddie literally just says "Bear" a lot. The Japanese word for bear at least. So instead of getting "Beary funny" we'd have "Bear Very Funny"

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
As concerned as I am for Atlus (I love what they have done over the years) I also find reading the shear ignorance about what games Atlus makes on news sites hilarious. People really don't get the difference between the localization and game development sides of the company. People seem to think they make Dark Souls and Disgaea because the imported the first games...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyoru posted:

Index Holdings (Atlus's parent company) just filed for bankruptcy. They were also being investigated for fraudulent accounting earlier this month.

http://japan.cnet.com/news/business/35033951 (Google Translated)
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7195445.html (Google Translated)

It shouldn't affect immediate releases like SMT4 and Dragon's Crown. Everything else remains to be seen. :(
Technically it's a filing for the Civil Rehabilitation Law. They work with creditors to resolve the debt so they don't go bankrupt. The idea is that the company will reassess the values of their assets as if they were going to liquidate for bankruptcy, but instead they use those assessments to decide on the plan to resolve the debt. They don't actually liquidate and shut everything down though, since the idea of the law is to keep operations sustained while fixing the problems. Wouldn't surprise me if they shuffle some corporate scapegoats to other familial tied businesses too, just to maintain the corruption quota.

Anyway there's a lot of information here about a study done with Civil Rehabilitation Law: http://www.turnaround.org/Publications/Articles.aspx?objectID=8594

I wouldn't worry about anything unless their rehabilitation plan gets rejected.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

klapman posted:

That's a new thread title if I ever saw one.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

How is Soul Hackers for the 3DS? I never played the PSX one so I don't know how it compares to the more recent SMT games I'm used to.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

setafd posted:

How is Soul Hackers for the 3DS? I never played the PSX one so I don't know how it compares to the more recent SMT games I'm used to.

People here seemed to like it well enough, and it's definitely better than the PSP ports of Persona 1 and 2, but if you live in NA you might as well wait three weeks for SMT4.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I wonder if they will try to show P5 at Gamescom or TGS. Whatever restructuring plan they will go with, Persona is probably their biggest property and biggest upcoming game, so they may want to show it to the public and investors to drum up support.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus USA has already come out and said poo poo's fine, don't worry.

And as always, Tokyo Game Show is pretty much the only place that makes sense to announce a new Persona game. Now watch in amazement as TGS 2013 comes and goes without a single mention of it!

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

setafd posted:

I actually just picked it up earlier today. I'm enjoying it so far (about four hours in) but you can definitely feel the age-- it's got a lot of the little UI niggles you expect from a game of its vintage, the prerendered video sequences are all PSX as hell, and there's kind of a weird retro-futurist "oh right, this is what computers looked like back in the 90s" vibe to the whole thing. There's also a mechanic where your Macca magnetite constantly drains while you're walking around, which threw me off at first and pretty much immediately triggered my "oh god everything I do is on a timer :supaburn:" instincts, but as it turns out it's actually not that hard to keep yourself in the green so long as you actually fight some of the random encounters instead of just negotiating them all away.

As far as I can tell the only real additions to the 3DS version are this weird menu you open up by tapping the bottom screen that lets you "hack" the game by changing some gameplay settings (things like having your maps and demon analyses automatically filled out without having to work for them) and some virtual pet SpotPass thing that lets you get extra demons I guess? They both seem pretty tacked-on and superfluous but the core game probably doesn't need any weird 3DS features shoehorned in anyway.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 28, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

I actually just picked it up earlier today. I'm enjoying it so far (about four hours in) but you can definitely feel the age-- it's got a lot of the little UI niggles you expect from a game of its vintage, the prerendered video sequences are all PSX as hell, and there's kind of a weird retro-futurist "oh right, this is what computers looked like back in the 90s" vibe to the whole thing. There's also a mechanic where your Macca constantly drains while you're walking around, which threw me off at first and pretty much immediately triggered my "oh god everything I do is on a timer :supaburn:" instincts, but as it turns out it's actually not that hard to keep yourself in the green so long as you actually fight some of the random encounters instead of just negotiating them all away.

As far as I can tell the only real additions to the 3DS version are this weird menu you open up by tapping the bottom screen that lets you "hack" the game by changing some gameplay settings (things like having your maps and demon analyses automatically filled out without having to work for them) and some virtual pet SpotPass thing that lets you get extra demons I guess? They both seem pretty tacked-on and superfluous but the core game probably doesn't need any weird 3DS features shoehorned in anyway.

The Compendium is new, and it has a pretty big impact on gameplay.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

TurnipFritter posted:

The Compendium is new, and it has a pretty big impact on gameplay.

Oh, I didn't realize that was a new addition. Yeah that definitely changes things a fair bit.

e: vvvv I got my fictional demon currencies with M names mixed up :downs:

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 28, 2013

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Opposing Farce posted:

There's also a mechanic where your Macca constantly drains while you're walking around, which threw me off at first and pretty much immediately triggered my "oh god everything I do is on a timer :supaburn:"

It's called magnetite and is crucial to my realistic demon summoning sims thank you :spergin:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Opposing Farce posted:

e: vvvv I got my fictional demon currencies with M names mixed up :downs:

It's not so much a currency as the stuff that demons are made out of. :goonsay:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

Atlus USA has already come out and said poo poo's fine, don't worry.

And as always, Tokyo Game Show is pretty much the only place that makes sense to announce a new Persona game. Now watch in amazement as TGS 2013 comes and goes without a single mention of it!

Since the gap between P2 and P3 was seven years, I would not be surprised if an equally or nearly as long amount of time passed before Persona 5 actually became a thing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Since the gap between P2 and P3 was seven years, I would not be surprised if an equally or nearly as long amount of time passed before Persona 5 actually became a thing.

I'd be fine with this. And since every couple of games have had their own spin on things (Persona 2:IS/EP were similar but different from P1, P3&4 were different from them again) I wouldn't be surprised if they went in a different direction again. I know P3&4 were hugely popular, but they're starting to outstay their welcome. Best they move on before they start looking like Square Enix.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Opposing Farce posted:

There's also a mechanic where your Macca magnetite constantly drains while you're walking around, which threw me off at first and pretty much immediately triggered my "oh god everything I do is on a timer :supaburn:" instincts, but as it turns out it's actually not that hard to keep yourself in the green so long as you actually fight some of the random encounters instead of just negotiating them all away.

You'll find that you don't even really need a full set of demons for random encounters (as Nemissa gets more spells, you'll probably only need one or two demons summoned). This way, yeah, your MAG will drain per step, but you'll get more than enough by finishing a single battle. When you get to a boss battle, you can summon and entire team and still be good enough to actually sell excess MAG for yen.

Hell, it kinda makes the system entirely pointless other than to grease the money economy a bit when you're lacking in yen. I'm kinda glad Nocturne, Strange Journey, and IV did away with the system.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just died like 20 times on the first stage with the giant hands trying to kill you in Catherine. I don't know if that's normal or I just really suck, but I don't think it bodes well :negative:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nate RFB posted:

I just died like 20 times on the first stage with the giant hands trying to kill you in Catherine. I don't know if that's normal or I just really suck, but I don't think it bodes well :negative:

The boss stages are all considerably harder than the regular stages. You should expect to die a lot on each one your first time through.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Woo, after having the game for over a year and a half, I finally beat Devil Survivor 2.

The ending was... huh. I went Kingmaker; I usually don't like "reset the world!" endings because 99% of the time, no one remembers anything, the characters usually don't learn any lessons, and I think that very often it is used as a way to write oneself out of a corner or they don't want to commit to a grimdark "everybody dies" ending. Plus, from what I watched from the other endings, Ronaldo's world is a weird happy-go-lucky world while Yamato's world is "let's act out Escape from L.A. every single loving day." But Kingmaker is kinda... odd. It ends on "you made a New World without Polaris, game over." Well, what does that even mean? Did time rewind but everyone remembered it? Did the void kill humanity off-screen? I was just expecting little things like this, but eh. It was still better than the other picks, in my opinion.

I almost want to play Devil Survivor Overclocked at this point. DS2 had a big gameplay advantage in terms of the joint skill cracks, but I'm a little bit fuzzy on the story. Plus, some of DS2's bosses were just absolute bullshit.

But at least the last day consisted of Jungo with Soul Rage doing 1000+ damage on everyone that looked at him funny.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MechaX posted:

Woo, after having the game for over a year and a half, I finally beat Devil Survivor 2.

The ending was... huh. I went Kingmaker; I usually don't like "reset the world!" endings because 99% of the time, no one remembers anything, the characters usually don't learn any lessons, and I think that very often it is used as a way to write oneself out of a corner or they don't want to commit to a grimdark "everybody dies" ending. Plus, from what I watched from the other endings, Ronaldo's world is a weird happy-go-lucky world while Yamato's world is "let's act out Escape from L.A. every single loving day." But Kingmaker is kinda... odd. It ends on "you made a New World without Polaris, game over." Well, what does that even mean? Did time rewind but everyone remembered it? Did the void kill humanity off-screen? I was just expecting little things like this, but eh. It was still better than the other picks, in my opinion.

I almost want to play Devil Survivor Overclocked at this point. DS2 had a big gameplay advantage in terms of the joint skill cracks, but I'm a little bit fuzzy on the story. Plus, some of DS2's bosses were just absolute bullshit.

But at least the last day consisted of Jungo with Soul Rage doing 1000+ damage on everyone that looked at him funny.

You made a new world with the team acting like a sort of new Adam & Eve, no idea if humanity survived though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

You literally made a new world. What that world entails is unknown because it would be the first time humanity has had that kind of freedom. It isn't a time rewind ending though

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Does anyone know any games that are somewhat similar to Persona 3/4/Catherine in atmosphere? Gameplay elements don't matter much, it's the mundane poo poo combined with the pervasive dark atmosphere I mostly enjoy.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

NeilPerry posted:

Does anyone know any games that are somewhat similar to Persona 3/4/Catherine in atmosphere? Gameplay elements don't matter much, it's the mundane poo poo combined with the pervasive dark atmosphere I mostly enjoy.

Animal Crossing. If you're really paying attention.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

While I'm waiting to play dress up in SMT4, I've been keeping busy playing dress up in Animal Crossing New Leaf. Here are some SMT-themed stuff I did:

e: Holy cow, someone did the Demi-Fiend's tattoos

e2:

I did Hitomi's outfit too. You'll have to get your own skirt for it, but "nondescript dark skirt" is like half of what the Able Sisters are selling everyday so that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 1, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Unmature posted:

Animal Crossing. If you're really paying attention.

Spoilers: Tom Nook is Nyarlathotep.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

While I'm waiting to play dress up in SMT4, I've been keeping busy playing dress up in Animal Crossing New Leaf. Here are some SMT-themed stuff I did:

Oh man, those are loving awesome. Nice work!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

Spoilers: Tom Nook is Nyarlathotep.

Actually it's Reese; always who you least expect.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TurnipFritter posted:

e: Holy cow, someone did the Demi-Fiend's tattoos

How do I scan these anyway.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You have to talk to Sable for like 8 or 10 days and she'll put a QR machine in the shop.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is it considered a valid strategy to abuse the redo feature to prevent bosses from using their special moves in Catherine? Because I totally just went through pretty much the entire sixth boss's stage by just constantly rewinding and giving myself an extra few seconds.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just got to the Babel, what I'm assuming is the final stage in Devil Survivor Overclocked, and I think I'm done with the game. I'm sure there's a strategy to get through it. I'm sure there's a best combination of demons. But I'm not playing the drat game all the way through 6 bosses just to get wiped on the last one with absurd abilities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just got to the Babel, what I'm assuming is the final stage in Devil Survivor Overclocked, and I think I'm done with the game. I'm sure there's a strategy to get through it. I'm sure there's a best combination of demons. But I'm not playing the drat game all the way through 6 bosses just to get wiped on the last one with absurd abilities.

The best combination of abilities is "put Holy Dance and Drain on everything."

Nate RFB posted:

Is it considered a valid strategy to abuse the redo feature to prevent bosses from using their special moves in Catherine? Because I totally just went through pretty much the entire sixth boss's stage by just constantly rewinding and giving myself an extra few seconds.

I think that hurts your score so as long as you don't mind that I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid strategy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Which route are you on? Babel's different depending on who's plan you decided to follow. The boss rush tells me you're either on Amane's route or Naoya/Kaido's.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

I think that hurts your score so as long as you don't mind that I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid strategy.
Yeah I never gave a poo poo about the score. Even on the easiest stages no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a gold so I quickly gave up on that route. That strategy was kind of meaningless for the last few bosses anyway, either their special attacks were a lot easier to dodge or it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I actually just beat it, and overall I'd say the last few worlds were actually easier than the ones before them. They seemed more gimmick-based, so once you figured out the trick it was fairly simple. I got the Lovers True ending and just youtubed the rest.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 3, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I keep finding mixed reviews of the MegaTen OVA based on the novels that came out around the same time as the first game.

Is it worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatena
Jun 23, 2007
hello friends

TurnipFritter posted:

I did Hitomi's outfit too. You'll have to get your own skirt for it, but "nondescript dark skirt" is like half of what the Able Sisters are selling everyday so that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Slap a denim jacket under that vest and you've got a Marty McFly. Can't wait to get the QR stuff.