Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So I think we're pregnant. Got a faint line on her EPT test. My question, should we just go straight to an OB GYN or should we visit our regular doctor and do the OB from there? We haven't gotten a doctor confirmation yet, that's the next step I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Gothmog1065 posted:

So I think we're pregnant. Got a faint line on her EPT test. My question, should we just go straight to an OB GYN or should we visit our regular doctor and do the OB from there? We haven't gotten a doctor confirmation yet, that's the next step I suppose.

Call your ob. That's where I went first. As I was told, "there's no such thing as a little pregnant. If there's even a faint line its positive." If they want you to go to your family doctor first they can tell you that.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Thanks, now I know who to make an appointment with.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Well, low-carbing it (less than 60g a day) has done nothing. My fasting blood sugar was the highest I've tested yet. One hour was bad. Two hours was even higher than one hour. I suppose Doc'll tell me what's what on Tuesday.

The Grumpy Snail
Feb 15, 2012
I have that problem, also. Even with a low carb diet, my fasting sugars were always just above the limit. The rest of the day was never above the limit, just for reference. I started drinking Glucerna Shakes before bed and my fasting sugars have mostly dropped to just below the limit, as long as I don't have a horribly carb heavy dinner. They can be found on amazon if you can't find them in your area.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gothmog1065 posted:

I called my family doctor first, they sent me in to get blood work done to make sure HCG levels were rising properly and then from that point my family doctor gave me a referral to an OB.

Molly Bloom posted:

Well, low-carbing it (less than 60g a day) has done nothing. My fasting blood sugar was the highest I've tested yet. One hour was bad. Two hours was even higher than one hour. I suppose Doc'll tell me what's what on Tuesday.

My OB actually set me up with an appointment with a dietician and that helped out tremendously. There are tons of fruits out there that have a lot of carbs. Basically there are things you never think about with carbs, but should know about and a dietician will help you in that department (as well as others).

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

bamzilla posted:

I called my family doctor first, they sent me in to get blood work done to make sure HCG levels were rising properly and then from that point my family doctor gave me a referral to an OB.

My OB actually set me up with an appointment with a dietician and that helped out tremendously. There are tons of fruits out there that have a lot of carbs. Basically there are things you never think about with carbs, but should know about and a dietician will help you in that department (as well as others).

I hope I can get a dietician- but I have actually been trying to track carbs properly, using diabetic association guidelines. I'd really rather not go on insulin, having been pretty careful all my life to avoid that family trap.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
How do you know when you should take meds for nausea? It's not really debilitating but it is making me feel gross all day every day. I just worry I'm being a wuss and don't really want to take meds made for people who are hunched over the toilet all day. I'm just moping around feeling nasty but not gagging or anything.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Awesome Kristin posted:

How do you know when you should take meds for nausea? It's not really debilitating but it is making me feel gross all day every day. I just worry I'm being a wuss and don't really want to take meds made for people who are hunched over the toilet all day. I'm just moping around feeling nasty but not gagging or anything.

I felt the same way. I could eat breakfast but nothing else. I felt like such a wimp because a girl I work with was one of those who would spend all day over a toilet, she was even hospitalized for dehydration. I finally caved when a couple of nurses I worked with pointed out I wasn't eating enough to keep myself alive let alone a little one. I ended up only needing half of what they prescribed, and only for a week or two, but I did feel better knowing I was eating.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

If it's keeping you from staying hydrated, you should seriously consider meds, no matter how much you are puking or not puking. Taking B6 + Doxylamine (Unisom) together has been extremely well studied and no risks to the baby have been found, and it's very effective for a lot of women. In the US both things can be purchased OTC and taken together (talk to your doc about dosing) and in Canada the combo is available as a prescription med called Diclectin.

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
So I need help.

My son is 5 weeks today and he is my first. From the very beginning he would not latch. He preferred to scream at my boobs instead, and that hasn't really changed much. After much trying of things, we are at a point where I try to get him on with a nipple shield and when that fails 9 times out of 10, he just gets a bottle (I am pumping so he gets whatever breast milk I have to give him and topped up with formula if he needs it). He will occasionally do it, usually at least once or twice day and he will nurse for about 10-20mins if I'm lucky. And he loves it. The rest of the time you would think I am torturing him.

I feel like I am on the ledge at this point. Part of me wants to just give it all up and jump (taking the god awful pump with me) and the other part wants desperately to be talked down and told that there IS still reason to keep trying. That those one or two times a day really do mean something and we are actually making progress.

I knew breastfeeding would be hard. But no one told me it would be the most emotionally draining and heartbreaking task I would undertake in my life so far. And of course, it was always so important to me to be able to do it with my child. And I can't. He won't let me and I am struggling with how to feel about that.

So tell me, do I jump? Or do I get down from the ledge and keep trying?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

SpazForPickles posted:

So I need help.

My son is 5 weeks today and he is my first. From the very beginning he would not latch. He preferred to scream at my boobs instead, and that hasn't really changed much. After much trying of things, we are at a point where I try to get him on with a nipple shield and when that fails 9 times out of 10, he just gets a bottle (I am pumping so he gets whatever breast milk I have to give him and topped up with formula if he needs it). He will occasionally do it, usually at least once or twice day and he will nurse for about 10-20mins if I'm lucky. And he loves it. The rest of the time you would think I am torturing him.

I feel like I am on the ledge at this point. Part of me wants to just give it all up and jump (taking the god awful pump with me) and the other part wants desperately to be talked down and told that there IS still reason to keep trying. That those one or two times a day really do mean something and we are actually making progress.

I knew breastfeeding would be hard. But no one told me it would be the most emotionally draining and heartbreaking task I would undertake in my life so far. And of course, it was always so important to me to be able to do it with my child. And I can't. He won't let me and I am struggling with how to feel about that.

How are you positioning him when you try to latch him on?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Do you have a lactation consultant or a La Leche League chapter in your area? My son had some latching problems right after he was born and going back to meet with the LC a few days later made all the difference.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Spaz, I don't have any useful advice (except to echo the LLL/lactation consultant suggestion) but my heart goes out to you. I am SO fortunate in that my son (13 days old today) took to breastfeeding pretty easily, but even with that I can say 100% that it's the most emotionally and physically challenging thing I've ever done.

He's having plenty of wet/dirty diapers, so I know rationally that he's getting enough nutrition, but he's crying and wanting to be fed every 1-1.5 hours. I get into these cycles where literally all I'll do for 3 hours sometimes is feed him on one breast, change him (because he screams bloody murder when I change him, so I like to do it between breasts so he can calm down by nursing and fall asleep after the 2nd), then feed him on the other and by then it's time to change him again and we start all over. He's also the champion of pooping as soon as I get a clean diaper on him so one diaper change often turns into two and takes 30 minutes and he screams and I feel like the meanest mom ever. It's funny, if someone else helps or if I change him with other people around he doesn't scream, so I feel like it's me, he hates me, and stupid irrational stuff. (I know this isn't true of course.) I've given him formula once a day just about every day, just because I feel like I need the hour break from nursing here and there.

Uh, sorry. The point of that was: Breastfeeding is loving hard. Do what works best for you, and know that you tried your absolute best for your child.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, echoing that breast feeding is hard. The first 10 days were exhausting and horrible for me to the point I went and was looking at all the formula samples we were sent and seriously thinking of using them. Fixing the latch made a huge difference. It is still hard and exhausting but I feel better about it.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'll share an opposite viewpoint and say that I found that once my little guy's latch got easier, breastfeeding was the easiest thing. I hated pumping and washing and leaky bottles, and I love whipping out a boob and being done with it! I'm also curious if you've gotten any good help! Having the advice from the goonmoms here really helped me too, but in-person advice is invaluable.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SpazForPickles posted:

At 5 weeks, breastfeeding was still a major pain in the rear end for my wife and a constant source of distress, depression, and frustration. The thing is, I feel like solutions will be very individualized to the mother and baby, which is why people will constantly echo the LC/LLL advice. Take advantage of any support systems your area offers and don't feel guilty about whatever you choose to do, but keep in mind that once latching clicks for your baby, it will get much much easier. At 7 months now, we're in the opposite situation, where we have to resist the urge to just nurse him any time he is upset at all.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

I'll share an opposite viewpoint and say that I found that once my little guy's latch got easier, breastfeeding was the easiest thing. I hated pumping and washing and leaky bottles, and I love whipping out a boob and being done with it! I'm also curious if you've gotten any good help! Having the advice from the goonmoms here really helped me too, but in-person advice is invaluable.

Oh yes once the latch situation was better it was like night and day. Feeding sessions went a lot faster which is so nice at 2 am, I no longer dreaded the pain with each feeding, he is much calmer through the whole process, and it is overall a less stressful experience. But yes definitely take advantage of whatever bf support systems you have in your community. I email the LC a couple times a week with questions but I figure she's there to help and I will use her expertise.

I haven't given any formula or pumped yet, and it definitely is nice to not worry about bottles, formula, etc when we leave the house. Just some diapers, wipes, and water for me and we are in the way!

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
Lactation consultants cost less than you might imagine from the fancy name, and fixing latch problems is what they do.

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
I do the cradle position usually because it's the most comfortable for me (and the easiest for me to manage boob, nipple shield and screaming, flailing infant) and it's the only one that has worked so far, but I have tried pretty much every position. And my midwife is an LC and she has been very very helpful, but this is the point we're at and I don't know if I should keep going or not. It's pretty much just keep trying and hope for the best or stop.

It's not a matter of he CAN'T latch, he can. He has before and he likes it. He just WON'T. I've tried looking online for stories or articles about similar situations, but it all seems to be about low milk supply or babies who don't know how to latch. If anyone else here has had a stubborn baby and has had a similar experience, I would love to hear about how you managed it.

I'm tired of crying after every feeding, but I just cannot let go of the "what if I just try harder/longer/something different?". I think I would feel so much guilt if I stopped.

Thank you for letting me vent though. No one really wants to hear how hard it is and no one really understands unless they've been there.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

SpazForPickles posted:

Don't jump. ;) I've been there, multiple times even since she was born. I had this illusion that breastfeeding was going to be a piece of cake. People always made it out to be the most natural thing in the world.

It is REALLY loving hard. My little one was tongue tied, her latch got better once they clipped her but it still hasn't been easy. I've had over active letdown, but only in the mornings. Later in the day its like she's not getting it fast enough for her to not hop off and scream at my boob trying to make the milk come out.

Growth spurts are the worst. I feel like a failure every time I break down and give her a bottle of formula so I can not have her attached to me long enough to eat something, go pee, or any be take a shower. I went from having a small stash of pumped milk in the fridge built up to struggling to keep up with her again every time she hits one. I've wanted to give up more than a few times.

Don't give up. The early morning feedings are so much easier when you don't have to warm up a bottle. And one of the cutest things in the world is when she smiles at me while she's still latched.

So here are things that helped me, beyond what everyone else has already suggested.
1. Giving formula doesn't make you a failure. It doesn't make you a bad mom, and that feeling of "what kind of mom am I if I can't even feed my baby." is all in your head. I know its hard to get into your head when everything you read says that you should only be exclusively breastfeeding or you'll ruin your supply. When there are people telling you formula is poison. Sometimes, for your sanity, you need to give yourself a break.

2. Eat! Everyone always stressed drinking to me. The first thing my nurse told me about breastfeeding was "I want you to drink at least half of this mug of water every time you feed her." So I drank. And drank. And drank. It never seemed to help my supply. I kept thinking, "they said it will help, why isn't it helping?" It wasn't until I started eating a little something every time I fed her that I started having enough extra to pump and store. (Until our most recent growth spurt of course.) I never eat a lot, unless its meal time, just a snack. A couple of cookies, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a hard boiled egg. Just a hundred calories or so to throw at my system.

3. Oatmeal. When someone first told me about eating oats to boost supply I honestly giggled. As my husband said, "well oats work for cows, I'm sure eating grass would help too." I thought it was bull. It's not. So one of my snacks is a bowl of oatmeal.... Or oatmeal cookies. ;)

The point is, don't give up. It's frustrating. And it's harder than everyone led us to believe. And maybe, in a few years when people ask us how it is we'll have forgotten how hard it is, but for now... It's hard.

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
Well Killer_Frost, you just went and made me tear up. Thank you for that. :shobon:

I really, really do not want to quit, in case that magical day comes and he Gets It. I have debated seeing another LC, but this is my dilemma of trying to figure out if I have it in me to keep going or not. I think I will step off the ledge for another day.

I have heard all about drinking water too, but never about actually eating. Which makes me realize, I do not eat much through the day. There is always something else that needs to be done and I forget. But I will try that (and the oatmeal too!).

I think the other part that makes it so hard and that wears me down is the pumping. For one, I just hate it, period. But it also sucks that we cannot go out and have adventures because we have to be close to home to pump. We don't have a car, so it's not very easy to bring it anywhere, either. I am starting to feel like a shut-in and I think that has also been a factor in making me feel so discouraged. Does anyone have tips on making pumping more bearable?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

SpazForPickles posted:

I do the cradle position usually because it's the most comfortable for me (and the easiest for me to manage boob, nipple shield and screaming, flailing infant) and it's the only one that has worked so far, but I have tried pretty much every position. And my midwife is an LC and she has been very very helpful, but this is the point we're at and I don't know if I should keep going or not. It's pretty much just keep trying and hope for the best or stop.

It's not a matter of he CAN'T latch, he can. He has before and he likes it. He just WON'T. I've tried looking online for stories or articles about similar situations, but it all seems to be about low milk supply or babies who don't know how to latch. If anyone else here has had a stubborn baby and has had a similar experience, I would love to hear about how you managed it.

I'm tired of crying after every feeding, but I just cannot let go of the "what if I just try harder/longer/something different?". I think I would feel so much guilt if I stopped.

Thank you for letting me vent though. No one really wants to hear how hard it is and no one really understands unless they've been there.

The cradle position is really tough to use effectively with a newborn and it can often lead to accidentally provoking a startle reflex (leading to angry-seeming baby). Have you tried laid back breastfeeding at all (http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html)? I would try as much skin to skin time as you can fit in; it's been shown to dramatically improve breastfeeding outcomes and he can try to nurse whenever he feels like it.

Also, are you trying to feed him as soon as he's showing any hunger cue? Crying is a late stage cue; you want to try to get him on when he's nibbling on his hands or sticking his tongue out.

Are there any breastfeeding support groups in your area? If you want to PM me your location, I'd be happy to help you find one.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had to give up breast feeding due to physical issues on my side and it sucked to have to give it up but having a happy, not depressed mom was the most important thing for my baby than the little bit of breast milk he was getting and me crying and being depressed all day over it. If it gets overwhelming just remember a happy, healthy mom is what your baby needs the most and don't let anyone else make you feel like poo poo over what you decide what is best for your situation.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

SpazForPickles posted:

Well Killer_Frost, you just went and made me tear up. Thank you for that. :shobon:

I really, really do not want to quit, in case that magical day comes and he Gets It. I have debated seeing another LC, but this is my dilemma of trying to figure out if I have it in me to keep going or not. I think I will step off the ledge for another day.

I have heard all about drinking water too, but never about actually eating. Which makes me realize, I do not eat much through the day. There is always something else that needs to be done and I forget. But I will try that (and the oatmeal too!).

I think the other part that makes it so hard and that wears me down is the pumping. For one, I just hate it, period. But it also sucks that we cannot go out and have adventures because we have to be close to home to pump. We don't have a car, so it's not very easy to bring it anywhere, either. I am starting to feel like a shut-in and I think that has also been a factor in making me feel so discouraged. Does anyone have tips on making pumping more bearable?

I didn't mean to make you cry, but I know hearing and realizing some of those things were a huge help to me. I'm glad that they may help you too.

The eating thing seems so obvious but when you're focusing on getting them to eat, and drinking, and then you realize "oh god, I haven't showered in three days." Somehow eating more than when you're hungry gets forgotten. So now every time I sit down with my glass of water I grab something to eat too. Its helped... Except for the fact that I wake up starving at 4 am now.

I don't know how exclusive pampers do it. I hate it too. Have you gotten hands free dual pumping down yet? If not this saved a part of my sanity. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/hands-free-pumping/
Now I knit while I'm pumping. It keeps me from going too batty, and I don't pump exclusively.

Our main vehicle is the only one we can transport the baby in. Hubby isn't crazy about get riding in the truck. So any trip I make has to be planned in advance, and I have to fit all my errands into as little time as possible... Which means no time to even grab lunch because she won't stand being out that long. I get the feeling like a shut in too.

The good news is its gets better. It gets easier.... Or at least so I keep getting told.;)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SpazForPickles posted:

There's no reason to limit yourself to one LC. We saw at least 3 different ones just during our hospital stay, then several more with visits to the Lactation Center during the first few months, and my wife also attended weekly breastfeeding support groups. Some of the LCs were bad, some were good, basically all of them were giving us different things to try. But you want to have a large toolbox to try when things aren't working.

I feel you on the low supply thing, our problem was a very overactive letdown which rules out about 90% of the advice most LCs are used to giving.

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
I've tried the laid back breast feeding but I don't really know how to do it. He is okay if he is just sleeping on me, but as soon as he gets hungry, he just cries and cries until I give him a bottle. All of the suggestions online seem to take it for granted that he will actually try nursing and just doesn't know HOW to latch. He knows. He just WON'T. So I'm not really sure how to make that position work for us.

He hates my breasts and has from the very beginning. I don't know how to change that.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Here's a thought, and you may have tried it already but... What about giving him an ounce from the bottle then trying the breast? If he's not "starving" maybe he'd be more willing to cooperate.

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
That's how I was doing it before. I actually have more success trying him at the breast first, so long as he is still calm and not frantic. And then I just wait and see if he is in the mood for it or not. 95% of the time, he is not and will start getting upset right away. I can't usually get him to even try after that, even if I feed him so he isn't starving. I have also tried after feeding him, when he is content and sleepy, but he won't go for it then either.

This is why I feel ready to quit. I feel like I have tried every combination, every position, every everything. He won't go for it and honestly, it hurts my feelings (it feels silly saying that, but it's true). I don't understand what is going wrong, so I don't understand how to fix it.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

SpazForPickles posted:

This is why I feel ready to quit. I feel like I have tried every combination, every position, every everything. He won't go for it and honestly, it hurts my feelings (it feels silly saying that, but it's true). I don't understand what is going wrong, so I don't understand how to fix it.

Hum... I completely understand your frustration on that. I'm sorry. :( I know when she'd pull off and scream at me it hurt my feelings too. I felt like I was doing something wrong. I didn't understand if she was hungry why she wouldn't just eat. She stopped on her own after a few days, I'm sorry you've been going through it for this long. I wish I could tell you what fixed her doing it. I hope you figure it out I really do.

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
It's extra frustrating because when he does randomly decide to nurse, he likes it. He'll stay for 10-20mins, eat a bit, get sleepy and just generally be content. I don't understand why he doesn't do it more often because it's not horrible when he actually gets on there. I keep reading that between 6-8 weeks, most babies manage to figure it out, so I have been trying to hold out until then. But lately, it's been really, really hard and I feel like we should be further along than we are.

Anyway, thank you everyone for all the suggestions and just general listening. It's nice to talk to other people who understand how hard it is.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
SpazforPickles: Have you seen this article? https://www.llli.org/nb/nbjulaug01p136.html

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I know it isn't preferred but when Ben was having trouble latching the LC had my use some "Sweeties" (sugar water) on the nipple shield we used for a couple days to get him interested in the shield. Would this be an option for you? I only had to use it once to get him interested.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I would definitely get in to see a LC who can help you in person. If you're in the US, insurance companies will reimburse you now. That said, please know that your baby doesn't hate you or any part of you, including your breasts. He's still trying to figure out why his umbilical cord isn't giving him nutrition.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Also, I don't know if you've already tried this, but try to get him to nurse when he's not all worked up. That definitely makes it harder. Try observing how often he eats, and see if you can catch him before he gets to the point that he's angry about being hungry.

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
^^^ That doesn't seem to make a difference. He will be perfectly calm and happy, making little signs that he's hungry and as soon as he is face to face with my boob, bam. Red face, yelling, flailing arms. The rare time he will stay calm and actually nurse, but that doesn't happen often and I don't know why he is sometimes okay with it and most times not.

sheri posted:

I know it isn't preferred but when Ben was having trouble latching the LC had my use some "Sweeties" (sugar water) on the nipple shield we used for a couple days to get him interested in the shield. Would this be an option for you? I only had to use it once to get him interested.

That's a new suggestion and I am willing to give it a try. Thank you :)

skeetied posted:

I would definitely get in to see a LC who can help you in person. If you're in the US, insurance companies will reimburse you now. That said, please know that your baby doesn't hate you or any part of you, including your breasts. He's still trying to figure out why his umbilical cord isn't giving him nutrition.

This is where I feel exhausted. Do I have it in me to start over with someone new? I think I am going to take a break. I tried the laid-back approach again today, but it is so hot here right now, that it just made us really sweaty and equally frustrated. I think I need at least a few times where neither of us ends up in tears and angry. I don't know if that will help but it can't possibly hurt.

Chickalicious posted:

SpazforPickles: Have you seen this article? https://www.llli.org/nb/nbjulaug01p136.html

I hadn't read this, it's very interesting. I had an emergency C-section (nothing about this child has gone like I hoped) and I was in recovery for 2.5 hours after he was born. It would have been longer, but I got really upset and made the nurses take me up to him. So aside from the 5 minutes I got to see him when he was born, I have no idea what happened or what they may have done to him. He was with my husband while I was "recovering", but I never got to have that initial skin-to-skin or immediate nursing attempt and I have been wondering if that has made it harder. I can't change those things though, so I try not to dwell on them.

Thank you again for all the suggestions and help.

SpazForPickles fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 1, 2013

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Breastfeeding is the hardest most emotionally draining thing I ever had to do. I had seen 3 different LC's in the hospital, and another a few days after leaving the hospital but it wasn't till I saw the 5th one out of the hospital twice a week for a few weeks that I really think helped a lot. That was over 2 years ago, and I can't really remember what she did differently than the others did...maybe it was just not being in a hospital that helped, but I know I was still going to her till about 8-10 weeks out.

At the week old checkup, the 4th LC I saw told me if she wasn't latching right and since I was giving formula at night, I should just give up. I was very sad and disheartened but later I talked to a friend a few hours after that who was like "WTF why would she say that there are NICU babies that start nursing at like 6-8 weeks old, if they can learn so can yours", and that made me make another appointment with the 5th LC.

Do what makes you happy, rules don't have to be set in stone when it comes to nursing. Do what makes you feel comfortable, stop what makes you don't.

We had tons of latching issues, and the nipple shield was so drat frustrating that I just didn't want to gently caress with it at 2 am with a screaming baby so I just gave bottles of formula in the middle of the night. Obviously those are both considered big no-no's...but it worked for me. During the day I was patient and could deal with the nursing issues.

Eventually it does just click, and by 12 weeks I finally felt comfortable not hauling around formula with me just incase there were problems with nursing in public. I nursed till she was about 12 months old.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
My son nursed fine for the first 3 weeks or so and then he started freaking out at most every feed except for maybe once or twice a day. He would latch on and pull off after like 3 seconds and scream and flail around, latch on again and do the same thing over and over again. I thought maybe I had an overactive letdown and the public health nurse said it was gas, but it happened as soon as he tried to feed so I didn't think that was the case. It left me emotionally exhausted and feeling like a failure as a mom and just wanting to quit breastfeeding. I knew he knew how to latch and eat, since he'd done it before, he just didn't seem to want to anymore. I finally figured out that he must have been overtired by the time I went to feed him when I bounced him on my shoulder to comfort him during a feeding/screaming session and he just passed out after a few seconds. I think by the time he ate he was too tired to be at the sleepy but content phase to breastfeed and it was just too much work for him and he freaked out.

Spaz, you said he's calm when you try breastfeeding, but I don't remember my son showing any other signs of being overtired until I tried to feed him. What worked sometimes was to use white noise or the Sleep Sheep and gently rock him back and forth while I tried to feed him. That sometimes got him to calm down enough to eat, or waiting a few minutes and trying again. How often do you try to breastfeed? I don't really wait for hunger cues anymore, I just offer it to him every 40 minutes or so when he's awake. He still will latch on and off, but when he does he's calm and not freaking out anymore. I figure he's not really interested in eating at that time and we move on to something else and try again after a little while. He's 12 weeks old now.

I have no idea if the same thing is happening with your son, but it could be something to consider if you or the LC haven't already. I hope you are able to figure out what's going on, but do whatever it is you have to do to keep your sanity. Echoing what everyone said about how breastfeeding is supposed to be the most natural thing in the world, but in reality it's one of the hardest things to do.

An Cat Dubh fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 1, 2013

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Girl in Bathroom that just walked in on me: "Are you alright?"
Me: "I just got so depressed over not being one of the pretty, skinny girls in the office that I've become bulimic."
Girl: "… *horrified look*…"
Me: "Just kidding! It's just morning sickness."
Girl: "Oh! *relief* ... *confused*... I, uh, don't even know what to say now! Congratulations? I'm sorry?"
*Girl rushes out of the bathroom so bewildered she doesn't even realize she's forgotten to dry her hands.*

I am a horrible person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

jota23 posted:

I am a horrible person.

I've told multiple old lady patients at work that I'm just fat when they ask if I'm pregnant (I lost a considerable amount of weight this spring so it's quite noticeable if they saw me last fall). Their reaction kills me every time.