Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

Does it smell skunky? It might just be that her scent glands need to be cleaned. If this is the case, it's easy enough to solve but really loving gross. It looks like how Bitsy's did when she had head tilt tho. Best of luck. And if you have to clean them, I would recommend wearing a bandana or something around your face while you do.

Those scent glands are horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Is it related to head tilt? Arya definitely doesn't have that, and seems fine otherwise. My theory is swollen genitals are causing her to pee sideways, hitting fur it normally wouldn't, and according to the vet notes from her intake form at the adoption place, the syphilis causes swollen genitals. I have an appt at the vet tomorrow at 4:30. Only issue is i'm away from them thursday-sunday, so if it needs to be medication, I'd have to start the regimen when I get back. She's such a spaz I barely trust myself to hold her, the person feeding them would never be able to pick her up :(.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
The head tilt was separate... it was just the first time that I had picked her up / flipped her over in a while.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Having fun getting daily Juppo updates from my mum. They're currently locked in a battle over the litter tray. I told her there is no point in leaving the litter tray where it is if the rabbit is pissing elsewhere because gosh darn, that is where she HAS to piss. No, it doesn't matter that that's her designated bed area. It's the toilet now. Mum was amazed when I told her to get a corner litter tray and put it in her 'sleeping' area and she started using it. We are going to have to have an 'explaining rabbits' talk when I get home. She's done brilliantly with her and I sort of supervised the first week of her being there, but she just doesn't 'get' that rabbits are dicks.

Not yet anyway. Has been fun watching my Dad talk to her and play with her though, he's such a softie for tiny animals :3:

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
So Hass' eye has gotten progressively worse today. When I looked at her eye earlier, I noticed that underneath her eye was a little moist, but I wrote it off as my boyfriend accidentally hitting her in the eye with a piece of banana. I get home tonight and her eye is swollen and there is a small amount of eye puss in the eye lid.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow morning when she is in, but at the moment Hass does not seem bothered by it at all and is being her usual calm self. Any ideas?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Eye infections aren't uncommon with rabbits, especially with their habit of shoving their little faces into everything. It will likely require some drops but should clear up fairly quickly.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 16, 2017

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

Hana Dammit posted:

So I know "catbeards" are a thing but what about bun-beards? or as I like to call mine, Butter-face?

That's awesome.

In other news, I was able to take Hass to the vet today and she is totally fine (she was due for a check up anyways.) The vet did tell me that her bottom incisors are starting to form a point and that I should look into stuff for her to chew on. Problem is, every woodblock and what not I give her to chew she ends up ignoring. What do you guys give your buns to chew on?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

voodoonoid posted:

That's awesome.

In other news, I was able to take Hass to the vet today and she is totally fine (she was due for a check up anyways.) The vet did tell me that her bottom incisors are starting to form a point and that I should look into stuff for her to chew on. Problem is, every woodblock and what not I give her to chew she ends up ignoring. What do you guys give your buns to chew on?

We feed Cilantro pieces of a woven willow basket that we bought from the Busy Bunny. She can't bite off her own pieces but will greedily gobble a piece we pull off for her.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Anyone know a good way to punish a bun that decided your pillow is a perfect litterbox and pees all over it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I adopted a rabbit three weeks ago. He's just over a year old and pretty cute. I was really excited about having a pet, since I moved to Hong Kong about three years ago and have been living alone ever since.

I've had several cats in the past and really enjoyed their company and my parents are still taking care of my two cats back in America, which is one of several reasons I decided to get a smaller, shorter-lived animal here.

I regret not getting another cat, but maybe you rabbit experts can help me out of this rut. I've been developing an irrational hatred of my new bunny. I knew that as a prey animal he would take a while to warm up to me, but I can't shake this feeling that my rabbit either doesn't care about me or recognize me, or is actively terrified of me and wants me to go away.

I'm so accustomed to highly affectionate cats that get lonely and come to me for love and affection, while this rabbit not only has no interest in coming to see me, he gets irritated by my petting and hops away. And of course getting picked up is out of the question, but I understand that's pretty universal to rabbits and many other animals including some cats don't care for being picked up and hugged. I can't hold that against him.

I've done lots of homework and read extensively about rabbit behavior and actually I think they're fascinating creatures. I've read some of this thread too and I just feel so bad that there are so many happy rabbit owners who share real affection with their bunnies :smith: Mine just makes me feel depressed and unloved.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I wonder if he was just horribly abused by the family that raised him as a baby and he'll never warm up to gigantic human predators. After reading so much about rabbits and their social structure and need for companionship, I was planning to get a second one. But now I wonder if I shouldn't be looking for another home for the one I just adopted. Am I just not a rabbit person? I keep hoping there's just some amazing answer that I'm just missing and I can go home today to celebrate wonderful bunny bliss and live happily ever after.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

becauseitisarabbit.jpg

This is all pretty normal. Best advice is sit on the floor with your bunny but don't actively go after them, just let them run around and get used to you first. Hand feeding bits of greens helps as well.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah, he takes food from my hand no problem. Sometimes I use that to trick him into a petting session. I just wish I didn't have to resort to such chicanery. Why can't my rabbit be more like a cat???

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You'll have to be patient with rabbits, it can take a while for them to really warm up to you. It will happen if you keep at it, though. Like I said, just sit on the floor and let them run around. Read a book or something. But do it every day.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Neither Bitsy nor Paterson were ever affectionate - until Paterson's last month or so. With Bitsy, I mostly try to encourage her to be around me but she is not really affectionate. I would recommend getting another if you're worried that your bunny is depressed because that really helped Bitsy.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anyone know a good way to punish a bun that decided your pillow is a perfect litterbox and pees all over it.

There's no such thing, you can't punish a rabbit. They don't really operate that way. You can make your pillow less attractive, make other things more attractive, or crazy idea, don't let the animal on your bed. Wash it with an enzymatic cleaner or throw it away, it's marked as litter box otherwise.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah, he takes food from my hand no problem. Sometimes I use that to trick him into a petting session. I just wish I didn't have to resort to such chicanery. Why can't my rabbit be more like a cat???

Because it is a rabbit, not a cat.

My rabbit Sascha was mean as hell until she got sick, then she was all kinds of snuggly until she passed away. My other two, while curious as to what we are doing, have no desire for us to pet them anymore unless they initiaite it, which rarely happens. They like us just fine and will be mad if we dont pay attention to them, but petting is out of the question for the msot part.

You have to respect when a rabbit wants to be groomed and when he doesnt. if you force him to allow you to pet him he will just get mad at you. Sittign on the floor, reading a book or watching tv and waiting for them to come up to you and nudge you with their nose in a "hey pay atention you, i need some grooming" is the best way. But keep in mind they really only like their head and shoulders pet. When you get to the fat soft bunny butt they think you might bite them so they leave. Just scratch his head when he nudges you to do it and when he hops off just accept it.

It is a rabbit.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
The foster bunny that I still have, if you scratch his back leg on his right, he will start licking and grooming himself like crazy. It is so amazingly cute.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Because it is a rabbit, not a cat.
Yes, I understand that. The excessive question marks were supposed to show that I know it's actually pretty silly to expect my rabbit to behave like a cat.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I had a pretty good petting session yesterday after reading someone's post here about a rabbit who really enjoyed being scratched on the nose.

So I went home and sat down on the floor. He still didn't have much interest in me, so I actually laid down all the way, putting my head at about the same level as his. This got his attention and he hopped over. So I started scratching his head from his ears down to just above his nose and he really enjoyed that. He bowed down and I was able to do that for a good ten minutes until my girlfriend came home and the all the commotion startled him.

His name is Idi, by the way. Named for Idi Amin. Maybe that's why he hates me.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

So I went home and sat down on the floor. He still didn't have much interest in me, so I actually laid down all the way, putting my head at about the same level as his. This got his attention and he hopped over. So I started scratching his head from his ears down to just above his nose and he really enjoyed that. He bowed down and I was able to do that for a good ten minutes until my girlfriend came home and the all the commotion startled him.

This sounds so familiar, I've got one really aloof bun and one timid one who tends to follow her lead, getting down near eye level with them really makes a huge difference in getting them to be more sociable.

I think a lot of the "unsociable" bunnies out there are just real sticklers for the bunny customs of social interaction, and have no patience for us giant humans bumbling around their personal space and offering unsolicited grooming.

The337th fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 27, 2013

chupacabraj
Nov 4, 2009
I was wondering if I could get a little advice from you guys about whether I should get a rabbit or not. A little bit of background, I've had a rabbit the past ten years of my life, so I know how to take care of them, especially because I've lurked this thread and its previous ones! I just moved out for good out of my parents' house, although I was moved out for school last year. My parents' are empty nesters now, except with my rabbit Cocoa who just roams the house like a cat. My mom said I could take Cocoa with me if I wanted to, but I know how sad they were when my other rabbit Bunny died, we ended up getting Cocoa like three days after so I don't want to take Cocoa from them either even though he definitely has a bond with me.

I am in this city on a 10 month contract and plan to visit my parents/family/friends once every 6 weeks or so for birthdays, holidays etc. I live 6 hours away from them. I know because of my field of work I will probably be moving somewhere else in a year or so. Ideally I will still be in Ontario, but my hometown is in Northern Ontario and most jobs are in Southern Ontario, which means at least a 5 hour drive to my parents house. I know car rides are pretty hard on rabbits, but I've never left Cocoa or Bunny alone for more than a night. The other problem if I visit would be Cocoa. He is fixed, and ideally any rabbit I'd get would be fixed once they are of age.

My major reason for wanting a rabbit is for companionship because I live alone and am pretty introverted as well as having depression and anxiety. Last year I was stressed out a lot and I think having a pet would have eased my depression. So help me out guys. I don't want to bring a rabbit into an inappropriate environment. My landlord said small animals are ok, and I would probably not let the rabbit have full run of the house because its not my house, but would be allowed supervised playtime. I am mostly worried about either leaving it alone for an occasional weekend or taking it on a car ride/dealing with Cocoa/staying in a smaller cage for the weekend.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My opinion, and others will chime in with theirs, is that you might be better off with a cat. Some rabbits take really well to your schedule and being moved, as folks here can attest, but most don't.

In my experience, having doubts about a pet is a good sign I shouldn't get that pet. You're ultimately the one who has to make the decision, and you have experience. You'll probably be the best person to answer that question.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

NancyPants posted:

My opinion, and others will chime in with theirs, is that you might be better off with a cat. Some rabbits take really well to your schedule and being moved, as folks here can attest, but most don't.

In my experience, having doubts about a pet is a good sign I shouldn't get that pet. You're ultimately the one who has to make the decision, and you know what rabbit ownership entails, do you have the experience.

This exactly. When I need to travel, it's annoying to have to find a bunny sitter. It's hard to find people who I can trust. Luckily nothing awful happened when I was traveling but I would be wary of it - especially if you're moving South and might not know anyone. I'm in Northern Ontario too, btw :)

chupacabraj
Nov 4, 2009

NancyPants posted:

In my experience, having doubts about a pet is a good sign I shouldn't get that pet. You're ultimately the one who has to make the decision, and you have experience. You'll probably be the best person to answer that question.

I totally would get a cat if I wasn't so allergic. I have never taken a rabbit in the car other than going to the vet, let alone a 6 hour drive so I haven't had much experience with the car aspect of it.

luscious posted:

This exactly. When I need to travel, it's annoying to have to find a bunny sitter. It's hard to find people who I can trust. Luckily nothing awful happened when I was traveling but I would be wary of it - especially if you're moving South and might not know anyone. I'm in Northern Ontario too, btw :)

Ugh I wish I could just stay in Northern Ontario (first time I have ever said that!), everyone said I'd be able to find a job here with the mines but NOPE. Would make my bunny owning so much easier.

Thanks for your honesty. Everyone I asked who have never had a rabbit said "yeah for sure go for it", so I wanted to ask the experts before I made any decisions. The last thing I'd want to do is stress out my pet.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

You don't have PMs otherwise I would ask where you live.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I had a pair of bunnies with my ex (she took them when she left which is why I'm here living vicariously through all of yours), and one of them absolutely loved car rides. Not kidding, absolutely loved them. He would happily get in to his carrier, and while driving you could take the top of the carrier off and he'd flop out.

He also loved going to the vet, which was also a little strange.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

grack posted:

I had a pair of bunnies with my ex (she took them when she left which is why I'm here living vicariously through all of yours), and one of them absolutely loved car rides. Not kidding, absolutely loved them. He would happily get in to his carrier, and while driving you could take the top of the carrier off and he'd flop out.

He also loved going to the vet, which was also a little strange.

Zen would love to clamber onto my lap and, if the window was in reach, put her front paws on the window sill and watch the scenery go by. :3:

chupacabraj
Nov 4, 2009

luscious posted:

You don't have PMs otherwise I would ask where you live.

I used to live in Sudbury, but my job is outside of Ottawa so thats where I live now. I went to school in Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie last year.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I came home from work today to find a completely stiff bunny corpse. His eyes were glazed over and his mouth was soaked in blood. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Everything in the cage was pretty wet, including the fur around his head that had bits of hay all stuck in it. I guess it was mostly urine that was ejected after he died.

My best guess is that I had to suddenly switch him from timothy to alfalfa hay because the pet store ran out and he had a bad reaction to the new stuff? But that was two days ago and I don't know why that would put blood on his face.

Did he hate his cage so much that he started bashing his head against the bars trying to get out? This is really sad. :smith: I studied so much. I was committed to being the best bunnykeeper in the world, and I killed my rabbit just a few weeks after adoption. We never even got to be friends.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

I came home from work today to find a completely stiff bunny corpse. His eyes were glazed over and his mouth was soaked in blood. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Everything in the cage was pretty wet, including the fur around his head that had bits of hay all stuck in it. I guess it was mostly urine that was ejected after he died.

My best guess is that I had to suddenly switch him from timothy to alfalfa hay because the pet store ran out and he had a bad reaction to the new stuff? But that was two days ago and I don't know why that would put blood on his face.

Did he hate his cage so much that he started bashing his head against the bars trying to get out? This is really sad. :smith: I studied so much. I was committed to being the best bunnykeeper in the world, and I killed my rabbit just a few weeks after adoption. We never even got to be friends.

Sorry to hear that, I can only imagine it's an awful experience :smith:

Is there a possibility of loud/sudden/scary noises where the rabbit was? Rabbits can break their backs with a frightful jump; perhaps he jumped, hit his head hard, and that was that. Sometimes our rabbit will get startled and bowl through her indoor pen cage, so perhaps that could be a cause too. I'm sure that if you really wanted to know the cause, a vet would look at him.

Really sorry to read this; I wish there was something I could do :(

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bloodnose posted:

Non-domesticated breeds of rabbits like cottontails will do that (bash their face against the cage wall until they die), but I don't think I've ever heard of a domestic rabbit ever doing so unless it was mentally I'll.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bloodnose posted:

I came home from work today to find a completely stiff bunny corpse.

Sorry to hear about your bun :-(

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Non-domesticated breeds of rabbits like cottontails will do that (bash their face against the cage wall until they die), but I don't think I've ever heard of a domestic rabbit ever doing so unless it was mentally I'll.

Bunny might have had a seizure, and bit his tongue in the process. :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

I was committed to being the best bunnykeeper in the world, and I killed my rabbit just a few weeks after adoption. We never even got to be friends.

Don't beat yourself up - sometimes these things happen. You were obviously a good bunny parent if you were trying to give bunny a good life and a friend. It's important to remember that your bunny died in a nice place, surrounded by nice things, after being taken care of really nicely. The fact that you guys didn't get to be friends isn't something that you should feel bad about - I'm convinced that Bitsy hates me, but that doesn't change that she is cared for well and I'm certain she knows that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In other bun news, I have a wicker cabinet. I never had anything in it, and Harriet never explored it or anything. Eventually, I decided that since I was an adult, I need a liquor cabinet. So I moved all my booze from where it was store(next to my penaut butter in my kitchen cabinets) to the cabinet. Last night, I found Harriet curled up between two bottles of gin.

I think I have a bun lush.

(I made sure she hasn't had any of it. And from now own I'm making sure it's securly closed)

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

From what you've posted here, it sounds like you were an excellent, caring owner who put in a lot of effort to make your bun happy and comfortable. I think the fact that you were willing to work with him despite your frustration demonstrates that. And although he wasn't very affectionate, well, rabbits are just like that sometimes. It doesn't mean he wasn't happy.

As someone else mentioned, it sounds like he could have had a seizure. A lot of small animals seem to have genetic problems that cause seizures, and you have no way of knowing it until something happens. Have you considered having a necropsy done? It might help put your thoughts to rest.

I'm sorry.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 29, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the support. I'm wavering about whether or not I should get another rabbit. On the one hand, I was starting to enjoy having one and I do still have all the equipment. On the other hand, I killed my first rabbit in about a month.

I imagine if I got a second one, it wouldn't be an adoption. I would buy a baby from a pet shop after choosing a specific breed.

The only thing about that is that the pet shops here are often part of a horrific animal smuggling, puppy mill-style cartel that's kind of disgusting to support. I'm not sure if rabbits are part of that and I don't expect anyone here to be familiar with China-Hong Kong cross-border animal trading, so I'll have to do my own reading on that.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Thanks for all the support. I'm wavering about whether or not I should get another rabbit. On the one hand, I was starting to enjoy having one and I do still have all the equipment. On the other hand, I killed my first rabbit in about a month.

I imagine if I got a second one, it wouldn't be an adoption. I would buy a baby from a pet shop after choosing a specific breed.

The only thing about that is that the pet shops here are often part of a horrific animal smuggling, puppy mill-style cartel that's kind of disgusting to support. I'm not sure if rabbits are part of that and I don't expect anyone here to be familiar with China-Hong Kong cross-border animal trading, so I'll have to do my own reading on that.

What is the situation like there for shelters/rescues? It seems like those would give you a better chance to find a rabbit that has a personality close to what you're looking for. As much as you've talked about wanting a pet who isn't entirely aloof towards you, the baby bunny will be a bit of a gamble since it usually takes them months to develop whatever personality they will likely have as an adult.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Buying a pet store rabbit is more of a gamble than just getting a rabbit with a bad attitude. Be prepared to 1. Not get the correct sex and 2. Take that rabbit to the vet immediately to have it sexed and get a checkup. It'll need it, because odds are the pet store has been feeding it nothing but carrots and it's got mites. Plus it might already be pregnant!

Don't buy from a pet store, dude. They suck. If you're really set on getting a rabbit, get one from a shelter. You're less likely to get one that suddenly self-destructs if it's a little older, by virtue of it having simply survived that long already. Rabbits get terribly inbred, especially the popular breeds you're going to find in a pet store (if it even is the breed they say it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Bloodnose posted:

Nah, man, you didn't kill him. I once had a ferret for less than a week that just up and died. On the third morning I had her, she was dead in the cage, curled up like she just drifted off in her sleep. Necropsy didn't give us any clues as to why she died, sometimes it just happens.

If you want to get another bunny and you feel ready for it, I say do it.