Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Okay, this weekend we have company. SpiderJelly is visiting again. We'll be going out to eat and drink, see some touristy things probably, do some shopping. There is the Southern Sons Cocktail and BBQ place having a soft opening on Saturday that I plan to stop by, we'll be getting good makgeolli and going to the new best pajeon place. Find me on Kakao and we'll tell you where to go, or if you want to offer to lead an excursion that would be great too. I'm pretty awesome, but I'm sure he'd like some diversity in company. I'll toss the idea around of getting brazilian steak house for lunch on saturday too.

If anyone knows of any other events going on, let us know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

There's an extension for Chrome called Media Hint that lets you access the US Netflix/Hulu/all the other major streaming content providers from any country. You don't lose any speed using it, so everything will stream HD. Only wish I'd found it before subscribing to a VPN, as Media Hint is much better and free.
FWIW, I wouldn't trust any extension that offers free VPN traffic to view many gigabytes worth of transfer. Either they're stealing information from you (logins) or doing the same thing as Google when you use Chrome (watching your habits, looking at cookies, etc.) Not knocking Google Chrome, by the way....it's the best browser, so I use it.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This deserves to be here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnRq9uYfgso

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Andro posted:

I don't see this muscular imbalance causing many problems because I've never seen him lose in arm wrestling to another member of our gym. That's right, you can actually challenge the legend in arm wrestling at our gym. He managed to install his own custom made arm wrestling table. If you want a go at him, just walk up to the table, grab the rubber grip with your left hand, and put your right hand in the arm wrestling start position. He'll immediately sense that a challenger has appeared and come over to make you say uncle.

Put your right arm in a sling and challenge him with your left.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TreFitty posted:

FWIW, I wouldn't trust any extension that offers free VPN traffic to view many gigabytes worth of transfer. Either they're stealing information from you (logins) or doing the same thing as Google when you use Chrome (watching your habits, looking at cookies, etc.) Not knocking Google Chrome, by the way....it's the best browser, so I use it.

You misunderstood, it's not a VPN. It's just a hack that lets you get through the regional block of most of the streaming sites. Will probably be repaired on Netflix/Hulu/etc. ends eventually, but for now it works.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Pretty sure the people doing those videos can do no wrong even with the most boring story though my favorite will always remain the original.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

You misunderstood, it's not a VPN. It's just a hack that lets you get through the regional block of most of the streaming sites. Will probably be repaired on Netflix/Hulu/etc. ends eventually, but for now it works.
I read on another site that it is not that at all. It routes only those sites' traffic through US VPNs. I have a hard time believing it could be anything else

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Media Hint on Chrome requests access to all websites. That's enough to ring alarm bells.

Their privacy policy seems pretty legit.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I've used it for months with no issue, not afraid

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Jeoh posted:

Media Hint on Chrome requests access to all websites. That's enough to ring alarm bells.

Their privacy policy seems pretty legit.

Either way it only works on Chrome. I like to sit back and watch TV on a couch through my PS3 so a VPN is a better and more secure option. Anybody have recommendations?

On a related note: What's TV like in Korea? Is it mostly variety shows with celebrities and comedians eating food? I can't imagine it's any good given the saccharine nature of most K-dramas that have gained worldwide popularity, but is it tolerable enough that one might use it to practice listening comprehension?

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Let us English posted:

Either way it only works on Chrome. I like to sit back and watch TV on a couch through my PS3 so a VPN is a better and more secure option. Anybody have recommendations?

They have the same addon for Firefox. Added it to my work computer today.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Let us English posted:

I've had good experiences with StrongVPN.

Let us English posted:

On a related note: What's TV like in Korea? Is it mostly variety shows with celebrities and comedians eating food? I can't imagine it's any good given the saccharine nature of most K-dramas that have gained worldwide popularity, but is it tolerable enough that one might use it to practice listening comprehension?
poo poo. Yes. No. Watch movies instead. Drink heavily with ajeosshis outside Family Mart.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
http://www.kakao.com/talk/en

Now you brick phone luddites can join in on the chat fun.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeoh posted:

poo poo. Yes. No. Watch movies instead. Drink heavily with ajeosshis outside Family Mart.

Yes. Korean movies are frequently very good. Korean TV and music is unbelievably awful and should never be touched.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
By the way, Yangjae station has a "Sweet Cinnamon", not a Cinnabon, and it sucks.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So now I'm taco girls blue eyed American Jesus and she is talking about getting married and how amazing I am and like I'm gonna save her from all of Korea's problems on some unicorn back to America. I was just trying to get laid.

Thanks a ton Cameron for your loving tacos! Got me in this huge mess with a crazy girl waiting at my apartment and poo poo when I come home from work... loving amazing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BrainDance posted:

So now I'm taco girls blue eyed American Jesus and she is talking about getting married and how amazing I am and like I'm gonna save her from all of Korea's problems on some unicorn back to America. I was just trying to get laid.

¡Este es el poder del Taco!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BrainDance posted:

Thanks a ton Cameron for your loving tacos! Got me in this huge mess with a crazy girl waiting at my apartment and poo poo when I come home from work... loving amazing.

Hahaha. I have to say the 'marrying' part was easily predictable, but waiting at your house? That's just bit too much.

Not discriminate gender but those type of girls are common in Korea. A blue eyed white Amurican (Although you don't really have to be caucasian, it's generally preferred.) prince on the back of white horse coming to 'save' (aka marrying the girl and taking her to Amurica) the girl, that is. Some non-Amuricans take advantage of this to lie and then marry the girls and then demand money for divorce and such.

My advise is to just stop meeting the girl. She may be persistent at first then might give up after a while. Might talk on your back but oh well.

I just knew something was fishy when you mentioned that she said Pizza Hut was the nicest place she's ever been to or whatever. But seriously, don't marry her.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Aesis posted:

I just knew something was fishy when you mentioned that she said Pizza Hut was the nicest place she's ever been to or whatever. But seriously, don't marry her.

Yeah dude, this right here screams low self esteem. I wonder if crazy eyes is a thing in korea. But ultra clingy quick moving thing isn't 'just korea' thing, the answer here is the same as at home: sever that poo poo.

Good luck resolving your new stalker situation.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
And watch your back at night. She could be the type that could go 'well if I can't, then nobody else shall have you!'

Jokes aside, bad call taking her to your house or letting her know where you live. You'll be lucky if she doesn't come to your house in the middle of the night to start screaming so that every neighbour can hear her when you reject her. You gotta watch out for stalkers these days.

Maybe this is a lesson. :D

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Just spent a good amount of the night talking about Galaga with a Korean bartender and watching him play Super Mario RPG on his phone.

I really like this country sometimes.

Aesis posted:

You'll be lucky if she doesn't come to your house in the middle of the night to start screaming so that every neighbour can hear her when you reject her.

This happened a few times to some jackass on my floor in the last building I lived in. Unpardonable.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

I wonder if crazy eyes is a thing in korea.

Actually, upon further reflection I need to know. This woman, would you describe her eyes as 'crazy'? I'm crazy curious to see if this crosses country and cultural boundaries.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You took her to Vatos, didn't you? Now she thinks you're gonna whisk her away to Manhattan so she can be Korean Carrie Bradshaw.

Then again, most of the girls in Korea I think we would want to whisk away are already living the high life somewhere, so who's to say? Certainly there's no shortage of ones dying to escape this country that no one would think twice about for one reason or another.

Also, Super Mario RPG on a phone? Was that some kind of hack? Because I spent hundreds of hours playing that game as a kid.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Nah wasn't open so we went to tacos amigos or whatever. Probably should have backed off a bit when she started crying over tacos. Whatever, I'm going for it.

And yeah, totally crazy eyes.

Seminar thing hasn't even started yet and I hate everything and everyone. I've turned into the bitter self hating foreigner.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean music is unbelievably awful and should never be touched.

Generalizations

Are

Bad.

:colbert:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Do they sell popcorn at costco? And how much is it?

Is it just me, or has this summer been really mild? I feel like 2 years ago was unbearable, but 2013 has been really easy so far.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All summers are mild and easy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AmbientParadox posted:

Is it just me, or has this summer been really mild? I feel like 2 years ago was unbearable, but 2013 has been really easy so far.

This one has not been bad at all by Korea standards. I am still miserable, as I am any time the temperature rises above 10 C, but compared to the last two it's nowhere near the same level. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Keep in mind it's still June. You'll probably be hating life just the same as you always did once it's the beginning of August.

She really cried over tacos? Sounds like some kind of imbalance. I wish I could introduce people to mundane poo poo and have them weep tears of joy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RIP Korean Rock thread. Here, have some Jambinai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ABpjyc1Gs

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cameron posted:

She really cried over tacos? Sounds like some kind of imbalance. I wish I could introduce people to mundane poo poo and have them weep tears of joy.

it wasn't really the tacos honestly. But we were talking about my home and I said she would really like it there. So she starts crying and then is like "do you think I'm good enough for America!?!"

She cries over loving everything though. This is like, one time she cried with me out of a dozen.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

For fucks sake mate. I don't even... talk to the man, Al.

"The world abounds in oval office of every kind, includin' hers."
/

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I just read the same Deadwood quote in three threads by three different people. What's going on?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BrainDance posted:

it wasn't really the tacos honestly. But we were talking about my home and I said she would really like it there. So she starts crying and then is like "do you think I'm good enough for America!?!"

She cries over loving everything though. This is like, one time she cried with me out of a dozen.

Next time she's going to cry is when you tell her you don't want to see her any more!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Y'all are quick to turn your nose up to free entertainment.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Aesis posted:

...but waiting at your house? That's just bit too much.
This happened to a friend of mine, so he explained to the girl that his condo was haunted by ghosts and she never came back. Probably wouldn't work in Korea.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

This happened to a friend of mine, so he explained to the girl that his condo was haunted by ghosts and she never came back. Probably wouldn't work in Korea.

Tell her that your apartment complex has a ton of Pigeons in it that will attack her on sight.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

RIP Korean Rock thread. Here, have some Jambinai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ABpjyc1Gs

Wow this is refreshing. We should just have this thread for posting music since the music thread is so out there.

BrainDance posted:

Be honest how you feel. What I mean is don't be afraid to make her cry and tell her you find her wanting to be rescued off to the US a little unsettling and that she is a bit clingy for your taste.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Dead Man Posting posted:

Be honest how you feel. What I mean is don't be afraid to make her cry and tell her you find her wanting to be rescued off to the US a little unsettling and that she is a bit clingy for your taste.

Also change your address and hide your laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

DontAskKant posted:

Also change your address and hide your laptop.
Hide your electronics. Don't want her asking who you're chatting with. And tell her you're not seeking marriage :)

• Locked thread