Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Of you like Black Lagoon, you can also check out Jormungand. It's heavily flawed, but there's still a lot to like about it, especially the action and gunfights. Its more grounded than BL though, so it won't be as rediculous, but its still badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Orv posted:

Hellsing (regular, not Ultimate? OVA/TV distinctions are something I don't understand yet)

The difference is the original anime's plot diverges on a massive tangent to the manga's plot after after Luke and Jan's attack on the Hellsing estate due to that being as far as the manga had gotten when it was made. Ultimate follows the manga faithfully with each OVA being the animated version of the respective manga volume and is well worth watching.

Mercrom posted:

Time of Eve is very well made but the premise and plot are really dumb and ultimately meaningless. They even shoehorned in Asimov's idiotic laws to complete the sci-fi circle jerk.

I find it ironic you failed to understand the plot and themes of a show where the underlining theme is all about understanding one-another.

Redcrimson posted:

Try Black Lagoon. It's an anime send up to 90s anti-hero action movies. It's got guns, swearing, explosions, guns, blood, sex, organized crime, more guns, and Nazis!

Oh god yes, Black Lagoon is the anime lovechild of 80's/90's action movies (with a hell of a good Terminator 2 send-up at one point). Any word on that third season/OVA getting dubbed, incidentally?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any word on that third season/OVA getting dubbed, incidentally?

I have my copy pre-ordered on Rightstuf. It's slated for an August release.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I find it ironic you failed to understand the plot and themes of a show where the underlining theme is all about understanding one-another.
By his own admission, he tends not to make "positive posts" like saying how good something is, so basically he is a 100% all the time big fat debbie downer who looks like he doesn't like anything.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm going to throw out a recommendation for the Patlabor movies because they are outstanding. I own both of the LE DVDs that Bandai Visual released here and while I haven't seen Patlabor 2 just yet (although I'm expecting it to be good since a lot of people consider it to be) the first movie has some gorgeous animation and a great soundtrack. If you like GiTS you should be obligated to check out Patlabor since it's from the same guy, Mamoru Oshii.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oshii only did the movie continuity though. Didn't someone else write the SAC continuity?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zeether posted:

I'm going to throw out a recommendation for the Patlabor movies because they are outstanding. I own both of the LE DVDs that Bandai Visual released here and while I haven't seen Patlabor 2 just yet (although I'm expecting it to be good since a lot of people consider it to be) the first movie has some gorgeous animation and a great soundtrack. If you like GiTS you should be obligated to check out Patlabor since it's from the same guy, Mamoru Oshii.

Patlabor 2 is the best part of Patlabor and you should fix that asap.

And so should everyone who hasn't seen any Patlabor. Heck, Patlabor 2 can be enjoyed even if you haven't seen anything else in the series (though obviously prior knowledge does help out).

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

By his own admission, he tends not to make "positive posts" like saying how good something is, so basically he is a 100% all the time big fat debbie downer who looks like he doesn't like anything.
I don't agree that being critical is the same as being a downer though. I find it easier to enjoy something when the flaws are scrutinized and accepted.

In the show's favor, it is so well made that the fact that I hate the premise didn't make me hate the show in the end. It's a standard but very well made drama but with a thematically messy mix of slavery and sci-fi tropes. The robots can't ever be used as an analogy to anything in real life because that would be horribly offensive, so it just becomes a meaningless bit of fluff best ignored like orcs and goblins in LotR.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

The robots can't ever be used as an analogy to anything in real life because that would be horribly offensive

I disregarded your entire statement at this point.

Do you realize how prejudiced and close-minded this sounds? It sounds like you already have a set definition of what a robot is and should be, and therefore how one should be portrayed. It seems like your problem with the show is that it portrays robots in a way that is entirely contradictory to your image, and so you see it as being objectively wrong.

The entire show is a "what if" scenario. What if androids become indistinguishable from humans both physically and individually? How do we differentiate one from the other? Should we even be trying to differentiate one from the other in a setting as casual as a small coffee shop? If we can't, then what does it mean to be human?

Get over whatever drat bias or prejudice you have and watch the show again. Seriously, don't post about Time of EVE until you actually attempt to understand it open mindedly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Settle down, dude. Take a few deep breaths. Quit getting so worked up about anime.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

what the gently caress

Can someone give me a cool horror anime if one exists? Thanks fellow japanimation-watchers.

VVV thanks man, sounds good! VVV

Poniard fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 29, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Poniard posted:

what the gently caress

Can someone give me a cool horror anime if one exists? Thanks fellow japanimation-watchers.

Demon Prince Enma has some pretty great horror in the second half with one of my favorite haunted house style stories.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Poniard posted:

what the gently caress

I don't watch a lot of horror anything, but I really enjoyed Shiki, which is one of those "bad things happen in isolated mountain-side village" type stories. Really long buildup though - I think it's about halfway through the 22 episode series before things start going places.

Also, I guess the artist decided that hairstyles in anime/manga were getting a little stagnant so instead you get stuff like this:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Be warned that Demon Prince Enma is extremely fanservicey.

I'd recommend Mononoke. Its art-style is a bit weird, but it takes a lot of inspiration from traditional Japanese horror stories and monsters.

Another series that I would recommend is Shiki. Its a slow paced horror that gradually builds up an atmosphere of despair and hopelessness. I also really liked how the village ultimately discovers the true nature of the entities tormenting the village. Be warned that the character design is anime as hell though.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Requiem from the Darkness, also a pretty cool art style and decent horror.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Be warned that Demon Prince Enma is extremely fanservicey.

I'd recommend Mononoke. Its art-style is a bit weird, but it takes a lot of inspiration from traditional Japanese horror stories and monsters.

Another series that I would recommend is Shiki. Its a slow paced horror that gradually builds up an atmosphere of despair and hopelessness. I also really liked how the village ultimately discovers the true nature of the entities tormenting the village. Be warned that the character design is anime as hell though.

Does Demon Prince Enma have fanservice? I thought it was the straight horror version. I know that the original manga and recent anime Dororon Enma-kun aka *Bamf*It's Enma!~crickle crackle~ aka Demon Prince Enma: Burning Up! is chock full of fanservice based comedy.

It's kind of confusing!

Shiki is, in fact, pretty good. Even with the aforementioned hair wackiness.

E: vvv aha!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 29, 2013

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

a kitten posted:

Does Demon Prince Enma have fanservice? I thought it was the straight horror version. I know that the original manga and recent anime Dororon Enma-kun aka *Bamf*It's Enma!~crickle crackle~ aka Demon Prince Enma: Burning Up! is chock full of fanservice based comedy.

Both versions have a lot of fan-service.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I disregarded your entire statement at this point.

Do you realize how prejudiced and close-minded this sounds? It sounds like you already have a set definition of what a robot is and should be, and therefore how one should be portrayed. It seems like your problem with the show is that it portrays robots in a way that is entirely contradictory to your image, and so you see it as being objectively wrong.

The entire show is a "what if" scenario. What if androids become indistinguishable from humans both physically and individually? How do we differentiate one from the other? Should we even be trying to differentiate one from the other in a setting as casual as a small coffee shop? If we can't, then what does it mean to be human?

Get over whatever drat bias or prejudice you have and watch the show again. Seriously, don't post about Time of EVE until you actually attempt to understand it open mindedly.
Aside from rare, hard sci-fi cases, sci-fi isn't meant to be taken literally. Time of Eve is very far from hard sci-fi, and not a "what if" scenario. It is a character drama about people acting like people around other people and all that entails. The only thing that really sets them apart from humans is their enslavement.

Funnily enough, a better representation of a "robot" is Kyubey from Madoka Magica. If you make a creature that instead of emotions has a set of rules to live by like "don't actively hurt people" and "don't actively lie" you probably get something close to him. But that's not what his character is about because you aren't supposed to take him literally either.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Then you are reading the term "robot" in a classical, literary sense? As an autonomous, but emotionless, mechanical object bound structurally by a set of rules?

That isn't at all what a robot is in sci-fi. The ideal robot is a humanoid entity guided by strong AI. Shows like Time of EVE and GitS explore a concept where the lines between robots and humans blur. GitS explores it in a more literal sense in that people can become physically entirely robotic, and yet are still called human, while robots might sometimes develop human mental characteristics and thought patterns that become indistinguishable from our own. Time of EVE explores the concept philosophically by challenging us try to separate the robotic characters from the human ones through what is effectively a Turing test disguised as a coffee shop only to ultimately understand the futility of trying to do so in such a world.

You have to watch sci-fi with the contemporary understanding of "robots" in mind, as well as the classical understanding for juxtaposition.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Poniard posted:

what the gently caress

Paranoia Agent is more psychological, but it's a very good show.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Then you are reading the term "robot" in a classical, literary sense? As an autonomous, but emotionless, mechanical object bound structurally by a set of rules?

That isn't at all what a robot is in sci-fi. The ideal robot is a humanoid entity guided by strong AI.
An ideal robot is both. There is no reason to create strong AI with human emotions just to enslave it other than pure sadism. There is no reason to make a creature that you enslaved look and sound exactly like humans, other than sadism. The entire premise behind a "hard sci-fi Time of Eve" rests on the notion that everyone is comically evil and just decided to create the closest thing to human slavery possible.

Admittedly I'm not interested in sci-fi AI since I think most of it is dumb. In reality the invention of an actual "hard AI" as we define it just means humans won't have a reason to do math, science, engineering or much of anything anymore. It's just kind of depressing and wouldn't make for an exciting story.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Humans discovered to have a tendency towards power fantasies, more news at 11.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

An ideal robot is both. There is no reason to create strong AI with human emotions just to enslave it other than pure sadism. There is no reason to make a creature that you enslaved look and sound exactly like humans, other than sadism.

You literally one major point of the show right there. Yes, it is obviously evil and prejudiced to create beings as human as ourselves only to subjugate them, but that wasn't the focus of the story. The androids in that universe were designed to be just as human as we are, yet the humans of that world are indoctrinated to believe that androids are tools to be subjugated. The show is about a couple of kids that get the chance to think about the situation for themselves and come to realize that androids are no less human than they are, and as a byproduct explore what it means to be human.

Why people are indoctrinated to believe so is a background plot that was only hinted at and is supposed to be covered more in the new movie version they had a kickstarter for recently.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 29, 2013

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM
I'm getting my friend into anime, she really liked Madoka Magica and Cowboy Bebop. What else should I show her? She likes stuff that "isn't 'fluffy'".

ALEX TRILLTON fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 29, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I'm getting my friend into anime, she really liked Madoka Magica and Cowboy Bebop. What else should I show her? She likes stuff that "isn't 'fluffy'".
Baccano!, Kino's Journey, Mushishi, The Tatami Galaxy, obligatory Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Trigun, Samurai champloo, Fooly Cooly, Paranoia agent, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the shell.

Also http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Revolutionary Girl Utena. Literally the pinnacle of shoujo anime.

Steins;Gate and GitS:SAC might be good as well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

You could start by showing her more of the Urobutcher, such as Fate/Zero. What exactly do you mean by "not fluffy"? Do you mean less drama, less happy, or something else? Does she count comedy as "fluffy"? We could help out more is you gave us a better idea of what she's looking for.

Otherwise, here's the generic introductory list:

-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
-Baccano!
-Ghost in the Shell (SAC or original movie to begin with)
-Nichijou
-Steins;Gate
-Too many other things to list, so just go here.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm guessing fluffy as in slice of life or silly 'romance' / harem / reverse harem / slapstick.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Monster. Get her to watch the hell out of Monster.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Poniard posted:

what the gently caress

In addition to stuff everyone else recommended, also check out Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. Animation's kinda spotty at times, but it absolutely nails the horror aspect.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I wasn't super into Black Lagoon to start off with, but then they shot a Hind with a torpedo, and I'm tracking down Second Barrage after way too much video in a day. Probably going to look at Legend of Galactic Heroes or Hellsing Ultimate next time I have a day to just veg out.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Orv posted:

So I wasn't super into Black Lagoon to start off with, but then they shot a Hind with a torpedo, and I'm tracking down Second Barrage after way too much video in a day. Probably going to look at Legend of Galactic Heroes or Hellsing Ultimate next time I have a day to just veg out.

Look at TTGL, it's only 26~ episodes and it's over before you know it, great pacing too, somehow never loses momentum. Plus it's a really easy to show to just watch without having to get seriously invested for each episode

Honestly one of my favourite things to watch, just love everything about it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

If you like Black Lagoon you might like Jormungand aka Coco the Arms Dealer and her Band of Merry Men.

It has a lot of flaws, but the gunfights are amazing (though much more grounded than BL) and the characters are fun.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist is still a pretty fun show. Though it might be worth watching a mixture of the first iteration and Brotherhood since both versions do some things better than the others (although I'd rate FMA:B better overall). If you do decide to watch the original FMA though best not to watch the OVA, it's pretty terrible.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Brotherhood stands on its own right? I watched the first one (and its horribly Bonesy ending) but I never got around to Brotherhood.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Brotherhood is more fun but the intro episodes leading up to the new content are a bit rushed and aren't as good as their original equivalents.

It's definitely worth watching, I felt everything following the new content was pretty awesome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

Brotherhood stands on its own right? I watched the first one (and its horribly Bonesy ending) but I never got around to Brotherhood.

Brotherhood is the straight adaptation of the manga, beginning to end. A lot of people claim it's "rushed" because it doesn't dwell on Hughes and Rose and other early characters/locations but frankly they just aren't as important in the manga/Brotherhood and the pacing reflects that appropriately.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'd watched the first few episodes of Brohood a while ago and they did feel pretty rushed. I remember people telling me that episode 12 of Brohood matches up with 25ish in the original show.

e: So someone mentioned Serial Experiments Lain when we were suggesting random things to the newcomer, and I've heard good things so I watched it.

Can someone give me an explanation of the latter half of the last episode? I didn't understand how Lain was suddenly human again. Is the "human" Lain just an implanted memory that allows Lain to meet with Arisu again? I'm confused because I thought she now existed solely in the Wired after the reset.

Also, does anyone know if the Urobutcher ever mentioned that Madoka Magica was inspired by Serial Experiments Lain? It feels like they ended the same way.

Lastly, are there any other shows reminiscent of the style and quality of S E Lain? This show was written and presented entirely unlike anything I'd ever seen in anime.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Lastly, are there any other shows reminiscent of the style and quality of S E Lain? This show was written and presented entirely unlike anything I'd ever seen in anime.

Texhnolyze was made by a bunch of the same people. Give it a go.

• Locked thread