Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Nocheez posted:

I wasn't arguing with the conclusions, just the logic. We can't dismiss something because _____ has nothing to do with ______.

Agreed, but the evidence for a florida connection is pretty overwhelming compared to that of a los angeles connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Here is the full Cambridge Common theory, I finally typed it up for Q4T. There is a pinpointed map at the bottom showing the location of everything as well.

quote:

The cask is near or in the Cambridge Common, a park that borders Harvard Yard, and sits adjacent to Harvard Law School. I currently have 3 strong visual matches in the park to the painting, and a huge section of the verse fits with absolutely no twisting and turning, and one of them fits so well (and in line with the solved puzzles) that I consider it very very strong. Here is the area we're working with: http://goo.gl/maps/eVGBV

The first visual clue I matched was the "4" on the woman's sleeve, which I had never considered a visual clue until I saw it. Now, it seems somewhat obvious, as the 4 is visually distinct from everything else in the painting, being made of straight lines and having texture. I observed the "1" and the "2" from the road and immediately knew it was the correct style. I went looking for the 4 and found it easily. It is on a building which borders the park to the East side, known as Hastings House. It's unlabeled on the above link, but I'll be providing a tagged map below.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/Wb7aSJk.jpg

The second visual clue are visual matches that are key architectural elements in Richardson Romanesque architecture, as anyone familiar with Trinity Church has seen before. They are found on Austin House, the oldest building in the USA built for a law school. It also borders the park to the East, and is adjacent to Hastings House. This building contains 3 separate elements from the painting - 1) The checkerboard pattern viewed on the | | behind the woman, 2) The triangular pattern on the same pieces, 3) The arch seen below the globe on the bottom right.

Images: http://i.imgur.com/MWwSvKN.jpg & http://i.imgur.com/jrQvgiF.jpg

The final visual clue is the turrets. Yes, those turrets, the ones on the box held by the woman. I believe they, like the Chicago Tower, are hidden in the image of a castle with ramparts. They appear to be "any" two turrets, in a city full of them. However, they actually are quite unique. The shape of the turret doesn't match turreted roofs. They are at different heights and different sizes, something that isn't possible to achieve with two parallel turrets (as seen on The Charlesgate, for example). The perspective is *key* to this picture.

The turrets are a perfect match to the turrets as seen on the Harvard Epworth Memorial Church, a building adjacent to the park from the East, and (stop me if you've heard this before) adjacent to Hastings House to the north. The turrets are designed differently than others around the city, and the view on the box can only be perfectly re-created while standing in the Cambridge Common (Example http://i.imgur.com/Zt5RkCp.jpg). Any other view of the turrets does not work, due to the specific way these are designed. The turret closest to the common is bigger than the other 3, which leads to the perspective seen in the image. Looking at the turrets from any other angle, or from the wrong location in the park yields a completely different image. (Example of wrong view: http://i.imgur.com/KsMUxhj.jpg) (ANOTHER wrong view: http://i.imgur.com/jmJuuSm.jpg)

Bordering the park (a bit further, it's actually bordering Dawes Island Park [formally Flagstaff Park]) to the Southeast is the Harvard Yard 1881 gate, which on it contains the quote: "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make ye free" written out in full text. http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k93345&pageid=icb.page572577

Also bordering the park, directly to the South of the entrance gate, is a traffic island known as Dawes Island. William Dawes is the 2nd rider, often forgotten (thanks mostly to Longfellow's poem) on the midnight ride. He rode directly past/through the Common and down JFK St, passing what is now Harvard Stadium. There is a plaque on Dawes Island that contains the words "on midnight April 18-19" as well as gold hoofprints on the ground showing his actual path.

Images of everything: http://www.wmdawes.org/dawesisland.html

On the Northeast corner of the park, there is an iconic sign on top of the Sheraton Hotel. It reads "SHERATON COMMANDER" (http://i.imgur.com/lYRNR5p.jpg). It too can be seen from Cambridge Common, and there are very specific locations where you can see both the sign and the church turrets. Tree cover has changed in 30 years, so you have to imagine it in autumn, but the letters are huge & iconic in the neighborhood.

Finally, I have wondered aloud why you need to "face the water" - digging is directonless. It doesn't matter if you face the water to dig or not, there is no reason to have a facing direction without movement. I do believe exerere is correct, the water involved is not actually water.

The street that borders Cambridge Common to the north is called Waterhouse Street. Face the water. Feel at home. Facing Waterhouse St is the only way to see the Sheraton Commander sign as well as the Harvard Epworth church. Any other direction, you won't see both, and certainly not all the letters.

Missing pieces:

Thucydides and Xenophon. At this point I'm desperately trying to call the two statues in the park this, but I've got nothing concrete.

Green tower of lights: I have confirmed that the lighting on the Common is not the same as it was in the 1970s. Directly in the middle on Waterhouse St is the Church of Christ Scientist building, with a big green roof. I personally am not comfortable calling this a "green tower of lights," but it very well might be. It's also very likely that the common has changed quite a bit and any green towers of lights are simply gone.

Everything else fits. The entire site is well under a mile from Harvard Stadium, a very clear Colosseum, that has been literally described in literature as having metal walls. There are no big stretches here, and as you can see on the map below, a lot of clues. So there you go, it's in Cambridge Common. Someone come help me find the exact spot & dig it up.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zd1GHfGb0Odg.ksQsnEm98vQI

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Cask 6 / Saint Augustine

John Fraser, owner of the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park property, emailed me with additional information that he said I could share with you all here.

Really fascinating info!

So my understanding from this is that he will be using the GPR in the park in Sept? Will he be letting anyone dig?Can we suggest locations for the treasure?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

Here is the full Cambridge Common theory, I finally typed it up for Q4T. There is a pinpointed map at the bottom showing the location of everything as well.

I personally would dig directly under home plate at the baseball field. That has to be it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I don't think that's possible, now or 31 years ago. That's blatantly destructive and boring out the hole for home plate on a field requires special equipment. Around it, perhaps. But not on the field itself. Digging would be noticeable there after the fact, and someone would have had to repair the plate. The pole can go down over a foot as well.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

rookhunter posted:

So my understanding from this is that he will be using the GPR in the park in Sept? Will he be letting anyone dig?Can we suggest locations for the treasure?

First, he's going to clear the areas he's interested in with the park archaeologist. Second, he's going to ask the state to borrow their GPR. Third, he's going to call me and let me know when. Fourth, he may do some digging if any promising locations are discovered. However he's definitely not going to give anybody permission to any independent digging.

I'm sure he'd be willing to consider specific locations, if anybody could provide strong evidence that they're worth checking. However, he knows the property inside-out and has done quite a bit of investigation over the years, so there's a high burden of proof. When it gets closer to fall I'll send him any new thoughts / theories we've come up with here.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

xie posted:

I live in Boston and have been following this thread from the beginning. This info all looks really promising, thank you for posting all the details. I may have to go to the park this weekend to look around again.

All of the people working on the other locations seem to be making progress too. I'm hoping a few of these are found soon.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

SolidFrog posted:

Stared lurking this thread from the start. I have felt from the start that the location is St. Louis, not Montreal. It could just be due to the fact that I live in Missouri and want one to be here. After my wife and I worked out some solid leads, I sent Sean Kelly a email to see if he could tell me if I was on the right track. ( I had not yet found out that he had nothing to do with the casks.) I got a short reply from him, telling me as such and that Byron did not share any of the cask information with him, and from what he knew the other authors.

That being said the Montreal theories have good evidence, I just do not think anyone should be under the impression that its a location because Sean Kelly is from there. In my research Forrest Park, and Tower Grove Park are both strong possibilities.

I feel that Tower Grove Park is definitely a place to be looking if it is in St. Louis.

I don't think anyone would've used Montreal as the location based upon anyone who wrote/drew on the book residing there. From what I can see the information that has placed it in Montreal starts with the Legeater. There are other small interesting factoids that could also mean something, such as one of the Netherlands flags is checkerboard, or that the collar has one of the waterways/rivers on it from the Montreal area. And the numbers corresponding with the longitudes and latitudes of Montreal.

I'm not saying it is definitely in Montreal, and think we should keep all avenues open. It's just Preiss confirmed that something is buried in Canada, and the other locations all have solid long/lat's that put them in the states. This cask also has the long/lats that put it in Montreal. Occams Razor.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

allta posted:

Once the off season turns up having scouts should be a lot easier. As it stands right now the summer season is in full swing there and the prices are so inflated its almost ridiculous. Come September/October I can almost see it feasible for me to make a vacation there for some relaxing/cask hunting but definitely not now when it would cost an arm and a leg.
My wife and I have free access to a house a mile or so up the road from the Wright Memorial, but we decided not to go this year. What a bad decision.

E: or maybe a good one. At least I know I wont get arrested for digging random holes in a national park.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PunkNickel posted:

I feel that Tower Grove Park is definitely a place to be looking if it is in St. Louis.

I don't think anyone would've used Montreal as the location based upon anyone who wrote/drew on the book residing there. From what I can see the information that has placed it in Montreal starts with the Legeater. There are other small interesting factoids that could also mean something, such as one of the Netherlands flags is checkerboard, or that the collar has one of the waterways/rivers on it from the Montreal area. And the numbers corresponding with the longitudes and latitudes of Montreal.

I'm not saying it is definitely in Montreal, and think we should keep all avenues open. It's just Preiss confirmed that something is buried in Canada, and the other locations all have solid long/lat's that put them in the states. This cask also has the long/lats that put it in Montreal. Occams Razor.

The thing with the lat/long is rather iffy. I can see the 73.5, but the latitude is rather a guess. Montreal sits due north of New York City, and 73.5 W longitude takes you right through the Hudson River valley of New Netherlands down to Long Island. The original Dutch settlement in the New World was at Albany, also at 73.5W longitude.

I agree that many things have been found that align with Montreal, but that's primarily because people have spent years looking for stuff to match in Montreal. As GWBBQ pointed out, New York City seems less likely for a cask just due to the huge amount of digging and construction that goes on routinely in every big city, but I would not be surprised to find something interesting up the Hudson River Valley somewhere.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't the Montreal population largely French speaking? And probably more so when this English language book was published.

Yeah, probably not Montreal.

snowcrafta
Jul 8, 2007

I can't reiterate how awesome socks are. I'll take them for Christmas, I'll take them for Birthday, I'll take them for anniversary. I'll even take them for a wedding but it better be a god damn Costco sized box worth.

I love socks.
Not sure if it has already been speculated or not, but the TransAmerica pyramid could be the landmark that he was referring to in the San Francisco riddle. There is a Mark Twain street next to it, it's a white coloured building, it's near Chinatown, it's got a view of the Bay (Alcatraz), a big step referring to the height of it (not the Coit Tower steps).

Cruel and Bold seen here from Eyes of old could ref to the social movements that San Francisco was getting famous for back in the early 80s.

The Clay street reference inthe OP works well with it, as the TAP is actually on Clay street.

Sound from the Sky, Aces High - located near Between 1st and 2nd street

I do believe it will be in that park, I'll head over there today and take some pictures

snowcrafta fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 28, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

I don't think that's possible, now or 31 years ago. That's blatantly destructive and boring out the hole for home plate on a field requires special equipment. Around it, perhaps. But not on the field itself. Digging would be noticeable there after the fact, and someone would have had to repair the plate. The pole can go down over a foot as well.

Maybe not. But I think that home plate may be on her sleeve. Not sure where to dig unless we can somehow convert 18 and 12 into coordinates

Also, the In truth, be free is in an ode on Washington's Birthday and he is right there: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/h?ammem/amss:@field%28DOCID+@lit%28as109860%29%29

I've also been thinking about 112 and some possibilities and want to share:

Bus line - goes to Chelsea now, where in past?

First three terms of Fibonacci series - 3, 5, 8?

No street number for surrounding streets

No obvious long/lat/zip/area code/prefix connections

Number of war dead on Civil War Monument?

Doesn’t seem to be regiment on the monument? 112th PA and OH

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

My wife and I have free access to a house a mile or so up the road from the Wright Memorial, but we decided not to go this year. What a bad decision.

E: or maybe a good one. At least I know I wont get arrested for digging random holes in a national park.

There is a non profit organization that digs at the island. If we can't get permission or no one wants to dig we may contact them as see if they will help.

http://www.firstcolonyfoundation.org/archaeology/

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Maybe not. But I think that home plate may be on her sleeve. Not sure where to dig unless we can somehow convert 18 and 12 into coordinates

Also, the In truth, be free is in an ode on Washington's Birthday and he is right there: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/h?ammem/amss:@field%28DOCID+@lit%28as109860%29%29

I've also been thinking about 112 and some possibilities and want to share:

Bus line - goes to Chelsea now, where in past?

First three terms of Fibonacci series - 3, 5, 8?

No street number for surrounding streets

No obvious long/lat/zip/area code/prefix connections

Number of war dead on Civil War Monument?

Doesn’t seem to be regiment on the monument? 112th PA and OH

The "in truth be free" still leads me to Lincoln (or Washington, but one is a statue of a dude, the other is a tree connected kinda with a dude). Lincoln was known as "honest Abe" and obviously is seen as freeing the slaves.

The Gettysburg address has long and often been compared to Pericles Funeral Oration as written by Thucydides, and appears on one of the sides of the monument. Of course, that'd put the wrong statue as Thucydides to be north.

The park was redone in the 1970s and that area was paved to be circular as a response to concerts and crowds gathering there.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Bit posted:

Milwaukee

BUT HERE'S SOMETHING CONCRETE (pun intended): this pattern is on a parking garage one block West of Cathedral Square on Wells St. It perfectly matches the pattern on the woman's collar in the picture:

google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Milwa...142.64,,0,-2.72

Good catch. The parking structure actually has a date on it; 1966. It is a better match than the pattern on the Pabst Theater. It is a very good catch because I understand they will be remodeling it sometime this summer. Maybe even remove those blocks.

The Lincoln monument is probably not going to be much to go on and I think it is unrelated as is the Elk's Club. The NML building that replaced it was built prior to 1982.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
Milwaukee

Nice work on finding the Elks Lodge, guys! I spent 2 hours looking and couldn't figure it out, don't know what I was doing wrong.

It's good to know where it was, it's definitely something we should be aware of since that's something Preiss might have seen. Maybe the Lincoln statue that was in that park is the proper "step on nature/cast in copper" clue, but we'd have to match more stuff around it. Right now, given its location, I'm not terribly convinced.

Also, regarding the pattern on the lady's collar - that pattern goes all the way around the parking garage, both on Milwaukee St and Wells St. Just something to keep in mind as you're thinking about possible pathways through downtown.

And the Milwaukee Club/Mitchell connection (a 3-story building and Mitchell was the Milwaukee Club's first president) was a good find, and right around that area too. Another thing to think about.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

Neutrino posted:

Good catch. The parking structure actually has a date on it; 1966. It is a better match than the pattern on the Pabst Theater. It is a very good catch because I understand they will be remodeling it sometime this summer. Maybe even remove those blocks.

Whoa, poo poo! We might've caught this just in time. It wouldn't surprise me if they removed them, there are a bunch of busted ones on the east side of the building. Really makes you wonder what other stuff we're too late to see.

snowcrafta
Jul 8, 2007

I can't reiterate how awesome socks are. I'll take them for Christmas, I'll take them for Birthday, I'll take them for anniversary. I'll even take them for a wedding but it better be a god damn Costco sized box worth.

I love socks.
I'm 99% sure Verse 7 is Portsmouth Square Plaza in Chinatown, San Francisco

At Stonewall's Door
-Jackson street is literally the next street north of the Plaza

The Air Smells Sweet Not Far Away
-There is a store called Sweet Mart on the corner right next to the park
[]http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/153/1x8t.jpg

High Posts Are 3
-Three Trees with an ominous dead patch right in the middle
[]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/0ube.jpg/

Alternatively, there are 3 monuments all the same approximate size

Education and Justice for All to See
-two Monuments I found in the park
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/268/1tno.jpg -Monument to the first public school in SF
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/28/zrah.jpg - Godess of Democracy statue

Sounds from the sky near Aces High Running North, but first across
-Kerny Street turns into 3rd street, cut across by Market Street, so a pair of aces would be two, near it, 3rd.
Sounds from the sky could be the construction of the downtown skyscrapers during the 80s.

In the Jewels Direction is the Object of Twains Affection
- The TransAmerica Pyramid is the jewel of the SF Skyline, which can easily be seen from the park.

Giant Pole, Giant Step to the place the Casque is kept
-Two Theories:
--Chinese cultural Center, with a bridge leading across to the three trees
[]http://imageshack.us/a/img829/8136/yj8c.jpg
Facing the other direction you can see the three trees
[]http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/607/d0wa.jpg

---there's another monument right across on the other side of the trees
[]http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/109/0xv2.jpg

Sooo, that's my theory from today's adventure.

I guess imageshack gets changed to image trunk and it's too much loving work to redo it all on an iPad so gently caress it

snowcrafta fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 28, 2013

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 23, 2016

snowcrafta
Jul 8, 2007

I love socks.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Your links aren't working for me. I gave some serious thought about Portsmouth Square several pages ago. Be aware that the park looks nothing like it did back in the '80s and many of the installed pieces are new. I can account for several of the images and can shoehorn the verse into it as well (though in a much different way from you), but since perusing Q4T, I'm more inclined to believe the final location is in front of the Legion of Honor.

There still seems to be an awful lot of imagery in both the picture and verse that conjures up Aquatic Park, but, really, it all flows very easily with the Golden Gate Park --> Legion of Honor line of thinking. A guy from Q4T has made several digs in the area, but again, the site has changed so much in the past 30 years.

You have to manually change them to shack to work

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

rookhunter posted:

So my understanding from this is that he will be using the GPR in the park in Sept? Will he be letting anyone dig? Can we suggest locations for the treasure?

Doubt it unfortunately. Running the park doesn't mean he can figure out the puzzle, but he's not much interested in anyone else's ideas. I'd be astounded if he finds anything.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

xie posted:

full Cambridge Common theory

Great write up! What is the exact direction of Dawes' bronze hoof prints?

What I'm trying to figure out is the significance of the '4'. On the one hand, it could just be doing double duty as latitude 42, but specifically calling out that it also exists on a building is weird. HEC + Sheraton Commander + Waterhouse is already so strong for the first few steps of the puzzle that finding an extra '4' somewhere nearby seems almost irrelevant.

In general, like Dr. Invicta suggests there might be something going on with the numbers. There is the 4, the 112... Also, the building with the 1881 'truth' gate looks like figure 8. So, it's almost like "4 is a half of 8" so "search in the middle of something"?

Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards this kind of interpretation:

• "letters to see" => Sheraton Commander => Washington oak (the cannon island might also be significant)
  • "18th day, 12th hour" => head out of the park in the direction of Dawes island (the south gate into CC might also be significant)
  • lamplight => penultimate landmark found on the way, possibly destroyed
  • in truth be free => depending on the previous step, if you are still in CC, get a line of sight on Washington oak; if you are outside, do something with the direction of Dawes hoof prints.

Basically, we are still missing an important step that should at least tell us if we should stay in CC or exit it completely.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 23, 2016

snowcrafta
Jul 8, 2007

I love socks.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Goddess of Democracy didn't exist when this book was published.

Well, Portsmouth is out of the question. Back to square one

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Dawes prints run south, I believe he continued South onto what is now JFK Street.

Edit: Does anyone have the link to the text referring to Harvard Stadium as a colosseum with metal walls?

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

The thing with the lat/long is rather iffy. I can see the 73.5, but the latitude is rather a guess. Montreal sits due north of New York City, and 73.5 W longitude takes you right through the Hudson River valley of New Netherlands down to Long Island. The original Dutch settlement in the New World was at Albany, also at 73.5W longitude.

I agree that many things have been found that align with Montreal, but that's primarily because people have spent years looking for stuff to match in Montreal. As GWBBQ pointed out, New York City seems less likely for a cask just due to the huge amount of digging and construction that goes on routinely in every big city, but I would not be surprised to find something interesting up the Hudson River Valley somewhere.

If Preiss truly thought that it would take a year or two at most to have these found, I'm not sure he would be worried about it being dug up say, 4 years down the road, like NYC. Maybe the NYC cask was one of the "easier" ones and we're just too late and the clues are gone.

Playing devils advocate with the rationale, not trying to be pedantic. Because Preiss is gone there just isn't any way to even guess as to what he was thinking when he wrote up this whole treasure hunt. I've read in the thread that he would've wanted to do more treasure hunts if this had been more successful. It seems from publishing date til death he didn't keep on with doing treasure hunt novels, so there really is no way of knowing.

Again, I'm all for looking everywhere.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

xie posted:

Dawes prints run south

Are you sure, because Dawes went in a general direction to the north. Check out this page: American Revolution Comes to Cambridge :

quote:

Dawes took the eight-mile land route, leaving Boston by Roxbury Neck (safely passing through the British sentries posted there) (2), entering Cambridge over the Great Bridge (at the site of today’s Anderson Bridge), and riding along the present J.F.K. Street and Massachusetts Avenue toward Menotomy (Arlington). (3)

Also check out how careful they were about setting up Dawes memorial:

quote:

A galloping trail of horseshoes runs down the center of the pedestrian sidewalk, laid in red bricks, that crosses the base of the triangle. The design of the shoes and their layout were the subject of painstaking research. The shoe was chosen from sketches, provided by Colonial Williamsburg, of horseshoes worn in the 1700s. A Sturbridge Village blacksmith forged an iron shoe, a plaster mold was made, and 25 bronze horseshoes were cast by the McGann Bronze Co. Then came the knotty question—how far apart should the hoofprints be spaced? An architect working on the memorial had a daughter who liked to ride horses. On a wintry day in the country, she rode her horse over a carefully smoothed stretch of dirt road at a Dawes-like gallop. The strides were measured and the bronze horseshoes laid out accordingly.

Also, can't keep seeing 4's everywhere now: there are 4 'history stations' at the site.

Regarding the metal coliseum thing, it was an article series of Harvard magazine articles from the 80s. Note the coliseum vs. colosseum. I don't actually remember now about the metal walls part and I threw out my notes when you didn't like my find of the Italian monument in CC. So, you'll have to find the articles again at your library. It should easy, but I doubt it will uncover any new information. The clues are pretty redundant in general, except for that last part.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

xie posted:

Probably been posted before and not like you need any more matches, but it strikes me that the space between her body, arm and pole on the left looks like Dawes Island Park/MacArthur park while that on the right is roughly the shape of Cambridge Common.

I'm not really understanding your rationale for assigning the Sheraton Commander sign to the answer for "All the letters are here." Because arbitrarily there are only certain spots in the park that allow you to see it in conjunction with one of the picture clues? I'm guessing that there's a better match in the area that either you're missing or is flat out not there anymore. Maybe a plaque that has all the letters of the alphabet on it? I think the inscription on the John Bridge grave-site (not statue) might, but I have no idea where that is in comparison to where you are. Or maybe just something like an "I am the Alpha and the Omega" line on something. I think that's commonly translated as the first and last letters of the alphabet including everything in between.

Or maybe it's just telling you to look for a literal match of the following lines. Is there anything on Dawes Island Park that literally has the "eigtheenth day, twelth hour" on it commemorating the ride? Or maybe I'm just not seeing the connection that you're seeing and you're right.

In any event, it looks like you're really close!

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
CHC

This appears to be a treasure trove of information on Cambridge. We might even be able to find any destroyed lamp posts with their help.

Edit: also could Cambridge be '5 steps in his direction':

quote:

John Winthrop and his assistants chose a small hill on the north bank of the Charles River, at the entrance to a small creek, 5 miles upstream from Boston

I was thinking of this before, I just didn't see a source saying 5 miles specifically.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 28, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

There's no connection, you're just over thinking it. It doesn't need to be every letter, there's no deeper meaning to the line. Can you see the huge towering letters? Yes? Move on to the next step. We give Preiss too much credit here. One of the Cleveland lines literally talks about the road curving where the actual road curves.

Sure, it could be something else, but even if we dig it up we will never know. The M&B in Chicago was misinterpreted by the finders, who vehemently disagreed when Preiss himself revealed what they actually meant.

xie fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 28, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Nesetril posted:

I was thinking of this before, I just didn't see a source saying 5 miles specifically.

I was planning on going to the history commission at some point. Maybe next week.

It's 3.5 miles between the library and the commons walking though close to 5 driving so who knows?

I've come around to the Sheraton letters but also there are a lot of things named after Agassiz including the section of Cambridge abutting the park and a large building on the northwest. That is an A to Z reference though I suspect not necessary.

Another connection may be the lamp from the Unitarian Church logo (the first such church in the world, so important historically). Paul Revere was a Unitarian so there's a vague connection.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 28, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

BJG posted:

Doubt it unfortunately. Running the park doesn't mean he can figure out the puzzle, but he's not much interested in anyone else's ideas. I'd be astounded if he finds anything.

I don't know, he's been very friendly and informative; we chatted on the phone about a variety of theories. The fact that he's willing to use the GPR, probe, and even dig is better than not, since it's private property. You're not the guy they booted out of the park, are you? :)

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Never been there, but I don't think the casque is within the park grounds (see bottom of 26), and have been unable to persuade them to even take photographs in Magnolia.

BJG fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 29, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

I was considering these pillars as a candidate for a visual confirmer you could see at the dig spot, like the Chicago fencepost...

...and was interested to see that the place Rookhunter suggested was also next to one of these. I'm still not sure exactly where Rookhunter's photo was taken.

The area I'd want to explore with a GPR is that corner by the cannon above.

BJG fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 29, 2013

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Boston
So I checked out 2 of the islands in Boston harbor yesterday but as far as I can tell there's nothing too promising on either. I now know though that if I'm ever going to hide something I don't want found the best place to do that would be Fort Warren on Georges island. That place is seriously the fort equivalent of the Winchester mystery house. there's no lights in any of the interior rooms so it gets incredibly dark and there are several discreet hallways and paths and stairways to no where that you have to wonder how there's not a body treasure somewhere there.

I still think our strongest and most promising theory(for Boston) is Harvard right now, enough things fit and it's a reasonable enough theory that doesn't involve excessive stretching. I think were really onto something!

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

BJG posted:

I was considering these pillars as a candidate for a visual confirmer you could see at the dig spot, like the Chicago fencepost...

...and was interested to see that the place Rookhunter suggested was also next to one of these. I'm still not sure exactly where Rookhunter's photo was taken.

The area I'd want to explore with a GPR is that corner by the cannon above.

Yeah if we get a list of spots to check I'll propose them to John. So long as they're actually on their property I think we can do it. Or at least probe while he messes around with the radar. If you can pin it down to exact coordinates to mark on the map it would be awesome.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Thanks for that. I haven't had any dealings with this John Fraser guy, so perhaps I'm being too harsh. ;)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Casque 9

OK, I'm in need of a sanity check. I think I see something in this guy's forehead, but I need to check if others see it or if it's just me.

His forehead overall looks elevated above the plane of the rest of his face. Also, the bridge of his nose (ignore his eyes for the moment) looks like a spout, or perhaps the barrel of a cannon, with something spraying out of it.

Perhaps it relates to a fountain, or a fort with cannon sticking out. Or perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't actually there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Deteriorata posted:

Casque 9

OK, I'm in need of a sanity check. I think I see something in this guy's forehead, but I need to check if others see it or if it's just me.

His forehead overall looks elevated above the plane of the rest of his face. Also, the bridge of his nose (ignore his eyes for the moment) looks like a spout, or perhaps the barrel of a cannon, with something spraying out of it.

Perhaps it relates to a fountain, or a fort with cannon sticking out. Or perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't actually there.

Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like somekind of thing, could it be a tree?