Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I literally did that in one game I ran. The players were fighting a bad guy whose body was literally an entire plane of existence. So first they confront his various component beings.

I wrote it up as follows:

Front: Holy Tyrant's Ascent

First Portent: The Barrier weakens as the god-monster touches it directly, making summoning extraplanar creatures easier.
- When you summon a magical being, it appears without fail, but is extremely difficult to bind or control. (This was one that both antagonists and the PCs exploited a lot, but that's ok. I wanted them to think that this wasn't a bad thing initially.)

Second Portent: War of the Kings breaks out, as literally every ruler who didn't have someone above him in his society's hierarchy declared war on someone.
- When the locals become suspicious, they will send for the local ruler's soldiers.

Third Portent: A World of Brass and Pitch - the world starts to become more like the plane that is the big bad.
- When you undertake a journey into an area where summoning was common, the landscape slowly becomes the hellish cityscape of the Holy Tyrant's inner world.

Fourth Portent: The Proclamation of Conquest - the King of the Gods descends to the mortal world to offer a magical crown of corroded brass to anyone who can claim it.
- When you hear about the Crown of Glory, you instantly know who currently is your greatest rival for it. (Again, actually useful for the PCs, but that's OK.)

Impending Doom: The Holy Tyrant's Ascent - At this point, the big bad appears in the real world, and it starts to rapidly become the World of Brass and Pitch. Note that this is the only point in this Front's progression where the Big Bad can be interacted with as a character. This section, too, has a move:
- When you act to assert dominance while the Holy Tyrant is in the world, take a +1 to that action.

I rather like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I've been printing and laminating extra sheets of good DW reference material like the basic moves/special moves sheets,Wizard and Cleric spells, and the GM playbook sheet for my group's play so they have nice, durable sheets to pass about the table and look at when they need. I wanted a more accessible list of various monster tags, item tags, and useful info since I only own the PDF.

I grabbed some text from Jeremy Friesen's (Sorry I forgot your forum nick) really nice DW Campaign Playbook, formatted it in the DW style, and made a 6 page reference document.

Dungeon World reference Sheets

Jeremy Friesen 's original Campaign Playbook

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

RSIxidor posted:

I rather like this.

I literally wrote up Malfeas from Exalted as a Front, so I'm glad you liked it. Now we'll find out if that Impending Doom move ever comes into play!

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Sanglorian posted:

Hey Androc,

Is it possible that the licence you've chosen is also having an effect? I know I'm more fanatical about these things than most, but I usually only buy CC Attribution or CC Attribution-ShareAlike licensed playbooks.

I sincerely doubt it, but I updated both to CC Attribution license anyway. I don't think anyone's exactly lining up to use my work commercially to begin with.

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
Is there any reason you can't use a shield as an offensive weapon, or further take it as your signiture weapon as a fighter?...perhaps I watched captain America one too many times, but it seemed cool to me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Morham posted:

Is there any reason you can't use a shield as an offensive weapon, or further take it as your signiture weapon as a fighter?...perhaps I watched captain America one too many times, but it seemed cool to me.

No. No there isn't. Slap a few tags on it and you're good to go, feel free to make one up.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Morham posted:

There's nothing stopping you from just doing it anyways. Just do it. If your GM doesn't like it, tell them that, if anything, it makes you worse off because you lose your +1 armor and your signature weapon both together if you aren't holding the thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Morham posted:

Is there any reason you can't use a shield as an offensive weapon, or further take it as your signiture weapon as a fighter?

It's not on the list for Signature Weapon. That's it. Of course, any DM in their right mind would let you do that, because it's cool.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You can take your signature weapon as a shield and also take a shield! A shield in each hand! Bash fools to the left AND the right! Protect yourself from a hail of arrows! Do a handstand and slidw down a hill on them! Dual shields rock!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Anyone know what the status of the print version is currently? It seems to be out of stock on IPR.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Anyone know what the status of the print version is currently? It seems to be out of stock on IPR.

Out of stock as the first print run has run out.

Sage confirmed earlier on today that they were nearing the point where the second print run is sorted and ready to start, but otherwise that's it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Are there rules in the book for handling combat with big mobs of enemies? I know about the rules for monster damage against a swarmed player, but what about player damage against that swarm?

The next session may involve a massive horde of goblins (think Lord of the Rings scene in Moria). Rolling for each enemy is tedious and awkward. I want the barbarian to be able to cleave through countless foes, the druid to wade into a swarm as a massive bear, or the wizard to incinerate dozens with a fireball.

I've seen a suggestion of pooling all their HP together and treating it as a single monster for mechanics (but of course individuals for the fiction, such as gory deaths or sneaky attacks). Some suggested adding armor to that pool to represent the horde's general resilience (but not its individual members).

Related, how should I handle damage against players in such a case? Rolling d6 + 20 seems harsh. It might be realistic, but it precludes the cool scenes I know the players may want (e.g. dogpiled barbarian throwing dozens off with a roar). I don't want to punish them for swinging back by one-shot killing a character, but it should still be dangerous to simple stand and fight a mob.

Has anyone tried this? Any tips on making it run smoothly?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey guys I need your help, I never received my Dungeon World Kickstarter reward and I backed it at a decent tier to get the physical books. I emailed them a couple of days ago about it and received no reply, does anyone here have any contact information (perhaps an inside scoop) or could help me in any way? Thanks in advance.

(even knowing they take a while to respond would make me feel better at this point)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

Related, how should I handle damage against players in such a case? Rolling d6 + 20 seems harsh. It might be realistic, but it precludes the cool scenes I know the players may want (e.g. dogpiled barbarian throwing dozens off with a roar). I don't want to punish them for swinging back by one-shot killing a character, but it should still be dangerous to simple stand and fight a mob.

Treat the swarm as a monster suitable for the threat you want to impose with a damage level you think is appropriate. If it's a big swarm, maybe no more than five goblins can actually get close enough to you to do damage at any one time while the rest are pushing and shoving in the background. What does a swarm do? Absorb losses, overwhelm with numbers, flee in terror when more than half are dead, etc.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not on the list for Signature Weapon. That's it. Of course, any DM in their right mind would let you do that, because it's cool.

Take a shield as signature weapon with the tags Precise, Far, Reload.

Congratulations, you are now Captain America.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

incogneato posted:

Are there rules in the book for handling combat with big mobs of enemies? I know about the rules for monster damage against a swarmed player, but what about player damage against that swarm?

The next session may involve a massive horde of goblins (think Lord of the Rings scene in Moria). Rolling for each enemy is tedious and awkward. I want the barbarian to be able to cleave through countless foes, the druid to wade into a swarm as a massive bear, or the wizard to incinerate dozens with a fireball.

I've seen a suggestion of pooling all their HP together and treating it as a single monster for mechanics (but of course individuals for the fiction, such as gory deaths or sneaky attacks). Some suggested adding armor to that pool to represent the horde's general resilience (but not its individual members).

The way I've run it, if it's appropriate to the fiction, is to allow players to cleave via using excess damage to slay more than one monster. So, if a Fighter with a weapon that ignores armor were to be fighting goblins (1 armor and 3 hp) and dealt 9 damage with a successful Hack and Slash, that's be three goblins dead provided they'd narrated their attack in an appropriate manner (like swinging around wildly or making one fell sweep).

You could also just pool their hp together and have a bunch of goblins always deal maximum damage of their damage die. Reducing the goblin horde to 0 hp need not represent killing all the goblins, but breaking their morale and forcing them to flee.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey guys I need your help, I never received my Dungeon World Kickstarter reward and I backed it at a decent tier to get the physical books. I emailed them a couple of days ago about it and received no reply, does anyone here have any contact information (perhaps an inside scoop) or could help me in any way? Thanks in advance.

(even knowing they take a while to respond would make me feel better at this point)

If you haven't gotten a response from gm (at) dungeon-world.com, then try contacting Sage or Adam on Google+. I had a similar issue where an address change wasn't updated in their system, they were pretty quick to take care of it.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

incogneato posted:

If the horde is truly large, treat it as an environmental hazard. Give it a damage die, give it moves about separating the players and cornering them and overwhelming forces or destroying scenery. Allow players to slaughter their way through the horde, but get them to look for some other way to turn the tide and send it packing - or escape it!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gnome7 posted:

Yeah that sounds basically amazing. I love running this game - in tonight's session, I had the party's Witch pull off her craziest stunt yet:

Speaking of the Witch, I had a question for you: reading the Inverse World classes, you make it quite clear that pulling other classes into the setting is perfectly acceptable, mainly based on the fact that I can see the Witch mentioned in one of the Collector's multiclass moves (and also that awesome extract from your game makes it quite clear that the Witch is ok for IW). I was wondering, what classes in particular do you feel work alongside the Inverse World classes and what types of things should I look for in a class to make it sure it chimes with the other classes?

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Adventures on Dungeon Planet

Character Creation Session

I was thinking of dusting off my Twilight Imperium board game to use as props for Dungeon Planet, and I'd love to get your feedback:

I will place a bunch of the "space" tiles on the table. These will be used to generate a "star-map" for collaborative world building.

I'll either randomly place them all over the table or get the players to pick them.

FYI for those unfamiliar with Twilight Imperium, these tiles contain images of empty space, planets, worm holes, nebulae, asteroid fields and that sort of thing. Here's a link to some image of what they look like: http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/2-player/setup/finalSetup/images/01.png

In the end, everyone will place sticky notes on tiles and I'll ask them to write names of features and a few keywords (eg.: "Planet Nibiru, volcanic, rock people" Or "HERE BE GIANT SPACE SHARKS"). Some tiles will have big question marks because, hey, it is fun to discover strange new worlds and new civilizations.

After all is said and done, I'll take pictures and make a large map for future reference.

What do you think? Good idea?

Rocket Ace fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 28, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think if you steered the game towards an episodic 'planet/asteroid/space station of the week' format, it'd be completely awesome. Give them just enough of a taste of each area to have a great time, then blast off and move on to the next one. Bounty hunters? Prospectors? Relic hunters? All of the above?

You'd eventually get space hubs that they'd revisit, but you'd always have someplace new to explore. And the fronts could be all kinds of awesome, given that you have all of space to play with.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Thanks. I'd like to do a rag-tag band of heroes hopping around the galaxy for some purpose or reason, but ultimately I'll gauge in which direction the PLAYERS want to go.

In the end, I might just use the star-map for fluff and in-game references. In a way, I'm hoping that each player will state "I'm from THAT planet!". Any Earthling characters will have to have a bit of extra backstory details put in, but I'm not too worried about that so far.

Has anyone else here ran Dungeon Planet?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Oh man, just ran my first session with Inverse World playbooks and I am incredibly excited for the rest of this campaign. Everything really seemed to click for the session.

We ended up going with sea pirates rather than sky pirates, since I don't have the full Inverse World book yet and the players had a lot of ideas for the setting. So far I have:
- the Captain, Zuka, has abandoned her imperial post and seized a pirate ship for her own. Her crew has likewise abandoned the faraway empire, but they have quickly made a name for themselves.
- Brin is the Mechanic, who came above decks a few hours after Captain Zuka's new pirate ship was seized. It turns out that he doesn't much care who's driving, as long as they look after the ship to his satisfaction - it's his pride and joy. Well, besides the pursuit of liquor and booty.
- Ada is a Survivor, who saw her town leveled by the fury of the god Sola. She's stubborn and tough, but has quickly taken to Captain Zuka and is now first mate. Ada means to protect her new family on board the ship.
- And Joan is a Lantern, who was there when Ada's town was destroyed and found her Light at that point. Her faith in Sola is uncomplicated and strong and she's not shy about preaching it.

These two have a complicated relationship already and we haven't really established just what happened the day that Ada lost her home and Joan found her calling. But we'll be coming back to it, for sure.

For the rest of our brief introductory session, they ran into some pirates who had been allied with the former owners of Captain Zuka's new ship, the Scarlet Harlot. These pirates had a three-eyed kraken on their side, but - after shooting the emissary and finding he had a weird starfish thing on his head - they fought off the kraken and put out two of its three eyes. Brin was able to actually board the other ship and loot their treasure room, making off with an ornate golden mask and several strings of potentially pearl-filled oysters. Ada and Joan were already forced to work together to fight the kraken, as Captain Zuka directed her crew to dodge tentacles and fire the cannons.

At the end of the battle, their mysterious antagonist (apparently going by the name Greenbeard) and his ship were pulled underwater by their kraken ally. The pirates were able to sail into port, ready for some well earned carousing.

Overall it was one of the best first sessions I've done. The bonds really established some chemistry between the characters right off the bat and an interesting group dynamic. I really can't wait to throw some weird sea creatures at my players and see what crazy heists they come up with.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The base playbook for my last warlock/binder mash up should be done soon, probably by the end of the weekend for anyone will interested. I'm sill plugging away at how I want to do eclipse phase on the back burner, and working on an EP/BSG amalgamation that I'm still hopping around between apoc world stat style and dungeon world stat style.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of the Witch, I had a question for you: reading the Inverse World classes, you make it quite clear that pulling other classes into the setting is perfectly acceptable, mainly based on the fact that I can see the Witch mentioned in one of the Collector's multiclass moves (and also that awesome extract from your game makes it quite clear that the Witch is ok for IW). I was wondering, what classes in particular do you feel work alongside the Inverse World classes and what types of things should I look for in a class to make it sure it chimes with the other classes?

Anything you want, really. The Spellslinger, the City Thief, the Dashing Hero, the Noble work fine. I explicitly okay any of the core playbooks as well (although between you and me, I don't like most of them anymore, but I know plenty of people still do so ~shrug~), and I know the IW classes work nicely in a Dungeon Planet game.

If you want to know what specific things to look for, probably a good sense of adventure in the class. Something that moves forward and encourages exploration and learning. The Cultist is not a good class for it, because it's too dark and grim. The Gladiator is probably not a good class for it, because its main thing is all combat all the time, and combat challenges (while something I enjoy and love to keep in the system) are not the only challenge to throw at people, and some combats are essentially unwinnable (what with Giant Monsters being a thing), so a very combat-focused character needs a little something else. The Golem is a good example - while it is a very combat-y class, both Unstoppable Force and Immovable Object give it ways to solve other problems with their same violent approach. If that makes sense.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've been reading the thread kind of sporadically lately, but I noticed that I didn't get any feedback on the Fortune Hunter I posted a few pages back.

I've worked on it a bit more and added the drives and backgrounds to it and would like to know what you think.

The idea behind the class was to make something minimalistic that you could just start playing and shape into any kind of character as you go.

I have a bad habit derived from playing computer RPG:s to plan out all my characters beforehand since I don't want to end up missing out on some cool ability because I ran out of levelups, though I care less about numerical optimization. And I've noticed that I take that habit to any RPG, even one as simple to advance in as Dungeon World. This class was kind of created as a reaction to my frustration with having to deal with choosing advanced moves every levelup and trying to choose the right base class to fit whatever concept I had in mind.

That's why it's class moves are flexible and based on generating Fortune to use on improving the results of basic moves or ignoring their restrictions. And why it only has a single advanced move that can be taken repeatedly to broaden their ability to generate Fortune.

As a bonus the class has a lot of room to branch off into compendium classes, since that single advanced move isn't all that necessary to the functioning of the class.

Here's the link again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BlurryMystr posted:

If you haven't gotten a response from gm (at) dungeon-world.com, then try contacting Sage or Adam on Google+. I had a similar issue where an address change wasn't updated in their system, they were pretty quick to take care of it.

Did it, got a response, they are sending me a book. Yay! You are a True Gaming Friend, thank you!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Okasvi posted:

I've been reading the thread kind of sporadically lately, but I noticed that I didn't get any feedback on the Fortune Hunter I posted a few pages back.

I've worked on it a bit more and added the drives and backgrounds to it and would like to know what you think.

The idea behind the class was to make something minimalistic that you could just start playing and shape into any kind of character as you go.

I have a bad habit derived from playing computer RPG:s to plan out all my characters beforehand since I don't want to end up missing out on some cool ability because I ran out of levelups, though I care less about numerical optimization. And I've noticed that I take that habit to any RPG, even one as simple to advance in as Dungeon World. This class was kind of created as a reaction to my frustration with having to deal with choosing advanced moves every levelup and trying to choose the right base class to fit whatever concept I had in mind.

That's why it's class moves are flexible and based on generating Fortune to use on improving the results of basic moves or ignoring their restrictions. And why it only has a single advanced move that can be taken repeatedly to broaden their ability to generate Fortune.

As a bonus the class has a lot of room to branch off into compendium classes, since that single advanced move isn't all that necessary to the functioning of the class.

Here's the link again.

I actually rather like this. A couple things, though: The Backgrounds don't seem different enough. The Commoner one gives you a place to stay and food. The Merchant one gives you... money to live off of, and only to live off of. The Noble one gives you hospitality and gossip as long as you don't piss anyone off. All of them only give you a place to stay, and that's really boring. Suggestions:

Merchant: You were born to a family of merchants or artisans and learned how to deal and bargain. When you roll Parley and get a 10+ result, gain 1-Fortune.

Noble: You were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, and fortune falls in your lap. At the beginning of each session, gain 1-Fortune.

Also, I want to suggest one more Advanced move:

Worldly
Gain one move from any playbook no one else is currently using. You cannot gain a move from a playbook you've already gained a move from using this move. You can take this advance multiple times.

EDIT: Also, on Lucky Streak, I would change the last one to "Upgrade a miss result of a Basic or Special move to a 7-9 result. You do not mark XP for this."

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 28, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Okasvi posted:

Here's the link again.

Honestly it's hard to critique because I don't that much to it yet. Sometimes you get good rolls, which gives you the ability to make other good rolls, but it doesn't really tie into any of the fiction. You have a bunch of very general equipment and appetite options, and it's clear you're trying to create a very generic class that any concept can slot into, but it's difficult to be inspired by. When I think of 'Fortune Hunter' I think of the Indiana Jones or Lara Croft archetype, and I'd like to see interesting moves that work off that fiction rather than a suite of primarily-mechanical effects. The idea of being a character that gets by on luck and fudging it is fine, and I like your Drive/Background options, but it's hard to see where that's going until you write some more moves for it, I think.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
The differences in the backgrounds were supposed to come from the narrative benefits other than the ability to live off of your social class. The commoners have that generic "aid" part that can be pretty much anything that they can do and doesn't force them to risk their lives. The merchants have the ability to scout out lucrative business opportunities, that's why it says "at least a modest living", it was meant to indicate that you may be able to get something more if you capitalize on local opportunities. And the nobles have that gossip part that could be pretty handy if you want to play the intrigue game.

The ability to make a living was supposed to be just a flavorful side benefit that would tell you how your character would spend their downtime if they had nothing else to do, not the main portion of the background. Though maybe the wording focuses on the making a living part too much.

Or is that still too similiar?

I also kind of deliberately avoided giving the class a multiclass move, since it would tempt me to plan out and cherrypick moves from other classes, though the part about not being able to pick moves from any classes already in play might combat that somewhat, so I can probably add that in.

Edit: Also, the class is literally meant to be Generic Adventurer: The Class. I wanted to make something that you could use to fit whatever oddball concept you made up or if you just wanted something that you could fire and forget and not have to deal with after character creation.

For something flavorful, there are all the rest of classes available.

It's meant to be a feature that the only thing differentiating a magician from a warrior is what you describe your equipment as looking like and what you spend your fortune on.

Edit2: Also, also, Mummer's legerdemain is what you're meant to use if you want to do cool stuff that's not covered by the basic moves. Want to blast someone with magic, use mummer's legerdemain to ignore the fact that you don't have a ranged weapon and volley away. Want to be a master swordsman, use mummer's legerdemain to ignore the fact that your sword isn't sharp enough to cut dragon scales and use hack and slash. It's meant to cover any spell or special technique you can think of by allowing you to reduce them down to a basic move if you're willing to spend enough fortune to ignore all the obstacles in your way.

The class is basically meant to be what you make of it. You are what you do and so on.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 28, 2013

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Okasvi posted:

Edit: Also, the class is literally meant to be Generic Adventurer: The Class.

Honestly, I don't think you made a generic class, but it's still really cool so read the rest of what I say.

If you want to see a generic class, see the Freebooter (which I would link right now if I had any clue where I downloaded it from). All the moves are basically guidelines for making decent moves. I probably won't ever play it because there's too many cool classes to play already, but it works for what it does. Your Fortune Hunter can do any concept, as long as it's The Person Who Has Just What We Need. Doesn't matter if they have it because they're lucky or made pacts with dozens of spirits or have a briefcase of toys from the boys back in the Agency or are just that good, they are competent and have tricks up their sleeve.

What I'm saying is, don't say stuff like

quote:

For something flavorful, there are all the rest of classes available.
Because the class does have a flavor, it just mixes well with just about any concept you'd have.

(Also, I didn't mention this earlier because it wasn't what I came here to say, but anyone can get the narrative benefits of being a noble by just saying they're making a noble during character creation in Dungeon World. You can still give them an interesting mechanical widget to play with, if only because all the other playbooks would give them an interesting mechanical widget too.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 28, 2013

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hey guys, I got a DW PDF a few days ago and I'm looking to run my first game of it. None of us have any experience with tabletop RPGS (although we're all familiar with videogames, fantasy tropes, etc). I was wondering if there's a specific adventure you guys would recommend as a kind of demo, or if you think I'd be better off making one myself.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuligin posted:

Hey guys, I got a DW PDF a few days ago and I'm looking to run my first game of it. None of us have any experience with tabletop RPGS (although we're all familiar with videogames, fantasy tropes, etc). I was wondering if there's a specific adventure you guys would recommend as a kind of demo, or if you think I'd be better off making one myself.

Don't even make an adventure. Read the rulebook's GMing section and EM/Scrape's guide, and then improv everything. That's when DW works best.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

When I do character creation, I have some blank sheets of paper and a bunch of pencils. One goes into the middle of the table and is the communal map, the rest are for personal note taking. Then just start talking with the players. "So you're a druid. How are they regarded? What does it mean to you? Where'd you come from?"

If they talk about specific locations, encourage them to scribble it down on the map. Everything they say is setting detail. Make notes, like 'the druids are well integrated into society and respected for what they do' yadda yadda. Always try and ask open ended questions. When you're done, you shouldn't really have to reach for an opening situation since they'll have given you a world, who they are, their relation to it and each other.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
There's a couple of premade adventures on the dungeon world website. The Slave-Pit of Drazhu in particular is designed to be a quick play, and comes with lots of handouts to play with. If you just want to dip your toes, play the premade adventure as a one-shot to learn the system and get comfortable with it, and then start from scratch with your own stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So here's a link to the draft version of some playbooks and setup books I made to run Dungeon World at the Indie Games on Demand event at Origins two weeks ago.

The con's theme this year was "Heroes", and this is basically a mostly skin-deep reskin of existing playbooks to replace fantasy references with comic book references, and very occasionally tweak a few more things. The scenario, when I got to run it, was basically this particular setup, with individual setup moves prior to that scenario one, in landscape-format booklets that are meant to be folded around a playbook sheet.

All the playbooks have slots for Heritage Moves, because heroes often add a bunch of idiosyncratic tweaks to the archetype.

This folder contains:

Hero Moves: The basic moves reskinned. Very little on the back page has changed, but the most basic moves have largely been renamed.
The Beacon: Originally the Paladin. My inspiration was "Wonder Woman". A figure from a better world than this one who tries to point the way.
The Brute: Originally the Barbarian. The inspiration should be obvious. Draws strength from anger, often with lots of fallout.
The Commander: Originally the Captain, from Inverse World. If you want to play Nick Fury on the helicarrier, this is your class.
The Dark Knight: Lemon Curdistan's City Thief, because I couldn't really make Batman use poison. (Also I was trying to come up with an explanation for every playbook as a different version of Batman, but that's neither here nor there.)
The Field Marshal: gnome7's Improved Bard, flavored to be more warlordy and less musical. Think Captain America or Cyclops, a hero who can scrap a mean scrap but in companywide crossovers gets the spotlight moments by giving good orders.
The Lightbearer: Originally the Lantern, from Inverse World, because the Nova Corps is also totally a thing you guys.
The Shapechanger: Originally the Druid. Probably needs a little more reflavoring because Bwana Beast totally fits all the Druid's schticks but Beast Boy and Chameleon Boy not so much.
The Showboat: gnome7's Dashing Hero. Spidey, or Wally West's Flash, or Crackerjack if you want to get all Astro City about things. Equal parts luck, patter, and genuine skill.
The Slinger: ElegantFugue's Marksman. Because Green Arrow and Hawkeye didn't really have animal companions.
The Strange Visitor: Originally the Barbarian. No, that's not a typo, and you shouldn't let the table play him and the Brute together. Powered by heroic drives, but living in a world of cardboard.
The Tinkerer: gnome7's Artificer. Hank Pym, the second Blue Beetle, or Brave and the Bold Batman with a giant utility belt.
The Wall-Crawler: Originally the Walker, from Inverse World. More of a Superior Spider-Man than the original, or Daredevil in his darker moments, or Arkham Asylum (the game) Batman.
The War Machine: Originally the Mechanic, from Inverse World. A hero whose powered armor goes above and beyond the utility belt's level of importance. Iron Man, or perhaps Batman Beyond.
The Weaponmaster: gnome7's Improved Fighter. Iron Fist, Karate Kid, perhaps Thor if you want to make the hammer a big deal.
The Winged: Originally the Sky Dancer, from Inverse World. Because even if everybody on the team flies, there's always one hero whose entire deal is that they can fly.
The Wonder-Worker: gnome7's Mage. Doctor Strange, Dr. Fate, Iceman, Susan Storm. Superheroes don't Vancian cast.

This needs a pass for cleanup, to make sure all the move triggers are bolded properly, to tweak the formatting on the Strange Visitor and Brute because I had to paste in new moves at literally the last second, and to provide a sheet with the scenario move and a brief introduction to how Dungeon World works down to character creation, and then it'll be con-ready for anybody to pick up and play.

Had a single glorious 4-hour session with a bunch of GMs who needed a break on Saturday night. Been meaning to write it up for the experiences thread.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Glazius posted:

The Slinger: ElegantFugue's Marksman. Because Green Arrow and Hawkeye didn't really have animal companions.

Mind if I make a couple suggestions as far as The Slinger goes?

This may have been intentional on your part, but my idea with Wait For It wasn't so much letting you avoid wasting Quiver as it was letting you remake that scene from The Avengers where Loki tries to grab Hawkeye's arrow out of the air. That is, letting you strike a target with an arrow, then have the arrow explode or catch on fire or start spewing smoke after a few moments of villainous gloating. Both are useful, but I think allowing the delay for activation makes it more enticing as a move.

I'd recommend also tossing in the Smoke Shot from the Domain moves on the list of available arrows. The Domain shots were each meant to serve as various types of distractions, and a smoke arrow seems like the most relevant of the set.

Finally, I'm not totally sure Maybe You've Heard of Me? really fits the archetype in this case. I'm not even sure it's that good of a move, and I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with some kind of replacement for the next version, to either swap it into Advanced moves or remove it all together. Perhaps the Slinger would be better served with something more observation-based? Maybe something like,
When you want to open up Negotiations with an uninterested party, roll +CHA. On a 7+, your keen observations detect a subtle insight; the GM will tell you a way you could gain Leverage over the other party. On a 10+, the other party won't realize you were prying.

All that said: :swoon: I am honored and glad The Marksman was able to help! Your wording in several places is an improvement over the original and I'll likely poach some of it for the next version of the playbook, if you don't mind.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like Maybe You've Heard Of Me? because it offers a non-shooty thing for the Slinger to do. It's important to have variety in your basic moves.

Though replacing it like you'd suggested does take him out of the Showboat's baliwick and into his own observation-y thing.

I'm thinking, on a hit, you learn how you could gain leverage over the other party. On a 7-9, pick one: it's something you have on you right now, or they don't realize you were prying. On a 10+, both.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I finally got to play this system tonight. Holy poo poo is it awesome.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

gnome7 posted:

I actually rather like this. A couple things, though: The Backgrounds don't seem different enough. The Commoner one gives you a place to stay and food. The Merchant one gives you... money to live off of, and only to live off of. The Noble one gives you hospitality and gossip as long as you don't piss anyone off. All of them only give you a place to stay, and that's really boring. Suggestions:

Merchant: You were born to a family of merchants or artisans and learned how to deal and bargain. When you roll Parley and get a 10+ result, gain 1-Fortune.

Noble: You were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, and fortune falls in your lap. At the beginning of each session, gain 1-Fortune.

Also, I want to suggest one more Advanced move:

Worldly
Gain one move from any playbook no one else is currently using. You cannot gain a move from a playbook you've already gained a move from using this move. You can take this advance multiple times.

EDIT: Also, on Lucky Streak, I would change the last one to "Upgrade a miss result of a Basic or Special move to a 7-9 result. You do not mark XP for this."

After looking at them again after a good night's sleep, these are all really good ideas and I implemented them all in the end. Though I made the merchant background trigger on supply too in addition to parley. The reason why I was hesitating with the backgrounds is that I usually like to make them follow an unified mechanical theme while differentiating them with how they are triggered or relate to the fiction. Which is the reason that I they all turned out a bit similar.

Edit:

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, I don't think you made a generic class, but it's still really cool so read the rest of what I say.

If you want to see a generic class, see the Freebooter (which I would link right now if I had any clue where I downloaded it from). All the moves are basically guidelines for making decent moves. I probably won't ever play it because there's too many cool classes to play already, but it works for what it does. Your Fortune Hunter can do any concept, as long as it's The Person Who Has Just What We Need. Doesn't matter if they have it because they're lucky or made pacts with dozens of spirits or have a briefcase of toys from the boys back in the Agency or are just that good, they are competent and have tricks up their sleeve.

Because the class does have a flavor, it just mixes well with just about any concept you'd have.

Also. This was the result of my other design goal of "minimal chargen". I've actually seen the freebooter before myself. But I wanted to make something that was both generic and able to grow into any kind of character flexibly without having to deal with choosing character build options.

The whole idea of the class was based around the concept that the character can have the abilities that the player thinks it's appropriate for them to have and they can freely change or add to those abilities as the character develops in play.

And when your goals boil down to "do everything" and "no character build options", you have to limit the "do everything part" a lot so you don't end up with a DnD godwizard.

That's why I made the reliable ways to regenerate fortune to either require money and downtime or buying them from the GM at a disadvantageous exchange rate of narrative power (misfortune is a lot more powerful resource than fortune since it's pretty much a blank check for the GM).

It's also why mummer's legerdemain is worded as "an obstacle" instead of "obstacles". So if you really want to do the impossible, you need to spend a lot of fortune to ignore a lot of obstacles, which requires either a lot of money and downtime, which are mostly under GM control, or giving the GM a lot of blank checks.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Glazius posted:

I like Maybe You've Heard Of Me? because it offers a non-shooty thing for the Slinger to do. It's important to have variety in your basic moves.

Though replacing it like you'd suggested does take him out of the Showboat's baliwick and into his own observation-y thing.

I'm thinking, on a hit, you learn how you could gain leverage over the other party. On a 7-9, pick one: it's something you have on you right now, or they don't realize you were prying. On a 10+, both.

Oh, definitely! That's why I'm having so much trouble deciding what to do with it; I'm torn between an observation-based social move and a showboaty social move (which could step on the Dashing Hero's toes).

That looks like a good replacement for your game's purposes, although it might give the story a bit more wiggle room if you change the 7-9 to "it's something you have on you right now or can obtain quickly and easily, or they don't realize you were prying."