Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Isn't Bobby dating Kitty? You'd think he'd be onto something like that?

Or are the younger X-Men still hanging around and that's young Bobby? I gave up on X-Men when it seemed the new direction they were going with Cyclops (that I was really enjoying) was taking an uncomfortable "it's not my fauuuult!" turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Or are the younger X-Men still hanging around and that's young Bobby? I gave up on X-Men when it seemed the new direction they were going with Cyclops (that I was really enjoying) was taking an uncomfortable "it's not my fauuuult!" turn.
That's old...er, young Bobby.

Those crazy kids are still around, yes, and it's actually pretty good stuff. All-New AND Uncanny were exceptional this week.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jerusalem posted:

Or are the younger X-Men still hanging around? I gave up on X-Men when it seemed the new direction they were going with Cyclops (that I was really enjoying) was taking an uncomfortable "it's not my fauuuult!" turn.
That's younger Bobby. Also you should really get back onto X-Men; All-New and Uncanny are the best it's been in years.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That panel seems so weird. It kinda reads like the writer was just struggling to find a way to *insert serious moment* and have the readers connect emotionally somehow. It just comes across clumsy and heavy-handed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Drifter posted:

That panel seems so weird. It kinda reads like the writer was just struggling to find a way to *insert serious moment* and have the readers connect emotionally somehow. It just comes across clumsy and heavy-handed.
I'm guessing you haven't seen the rather offensive bit in Uncanny Avengers it's directly rebutting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I'm guessing you haven't seen the rather offensive bit in Uncanny Avengers it's directly rebutting.

How can you miss it? Marvel's reprinting it in the back of half their books.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Replace Mutant with Gay or any other group identifier and it's horribly offensive. Would love a picture of it done with Gay written there.

I get Remenders point and it's a valid argument but holy poo poo seriously NO.

Bendis's direct response in the Xmen was perfect I thought. I'm not going to change because of you , you change because of me.

There's a reason that we say " Gay and Proud" its to not be absorbed into the classification you choose, the same way Queer was reclaimed. Sorry this is a sore subject for me and I found that speech horribly horribly offensive.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 27, 2013

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hollis posted:

Replace Mutant with Gay or any other group identifier and it's horribly offensive. Would love a picture of it done with Gay written there.

I get Remenders point and it's a valid argument but holy poo poo seriously NO.

Bendis's direct response in the Xmen was perfect I thought. I'm not going to change because of you , you change because of me.

There's a reason that we say " Gay and Proud" its to not be absorbed into the classification you choose, the same way Queer was reclaimed. Sorry this is a sore subject for me and I found that speech horribly horribly offensive.

I think Remender's point of view reflects a problem with Marvel's establishment of a mutant culture. Outside of, say, Jumbo Carnation and a couple references to "this thing happened," to my knowledge there's never been a great illustration of the things that make mutants unique as a community. Remender seems to approach it more from the perspective of addressing those with mental conditions, where speaking as one I'd rather be defined by my personhood, even including my sexuality, rather than my condition.

It contradicts the established narrative but it's a mistake I could understand him making.

Or maybe I'm just wrong.

E: I wonder just how popular the X-Force/Statix were supposed to be. Would that constitute mutant culture or was it explicitly exploitative?

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 27, 2013

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Or maybe I'm just wrong.

They tried to address that with Rogue taking offense to the speech and Havok's position being defended by saying there is no central mutant culture or community since mutants come from everywhere and can be anyone. Which is completely contradictory to all the established history of X-Men comics showing a pretty strong mutant community, and things like Jumbo Carnation and Morrison's other attempts to explore the concept of a mutant culture.

The X-Books are all now either backpedaling and reframing the argument to make the speech not seem offensive, or other writers giving Remender a big middle finger.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CapnAndy posted:

Not until just now, but that seems like Remender was trying to make a positive point that unfortunately veered into naivete. It's standard unconscious majority privilege - just kinda overly simplifying the point he was trying to make.

Unless Havok's character arc revolved around the dichotomy of his place in Mutantkind versus his ability to fit in to the 'normals' et cetera?

I see where the author of that article was coming from, and it makes a lot of sense. My sense of Modern Marvel always has seemed that they have an amazing ability to create potentially awesome and socially challenging situations but only skim the surface of those situations. It's better business, I guess.

On a little tl;dr thing here - I disagree a little with the author's statement and negative connotation that not acknowledging your minority identity means you're closeting yourself. That felt like a blanket statement even though if I chose to take the read strictly within the realm of discrimination the author was working in I'd agree with it. I think being closeted only applies when when you don't acknowledge your heritage for fear of retribution - for camouflage. It's a negatively connoted term that shouldn't apply if you simply have no preference or are apathetic.

edit: as far as actually posting a picture - I've always loved Superman/Batman annual #1.
This website has already nicely laid out the comic pages where Clark and Bruce figure out they're actually Batman & Superman. I love it because they're such dicks to each other the entire time.
I also love the Deadpool/Deathstroke figure who gets killed multiple times - whenever I see the spatula sticking out of him I crack up.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2013

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Practical Demon posted:

Which is completely contradictory to all the established history of X-Men comics showing a pretty strong mutant community, and things like Jumbo Carnation and Morrison's other attempts to explore the concept of a mutant culture.

See, I don't think that's been illustrated or supported well, even in Morrison's work.

*First mention*

"This guy exists and is famous and even non-mutants love him"

*Dies same issue*

"What a loss, time to kill some humans."

Is there a history of less hand-wavy establishment of a mutant culture I'm unaware of? Obviously as a mirror to minority identity and culture the X-books require there to be but just snapping the fingers to make it so would explain Remender's ignorance.

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 27, 2013

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Practical Demon posted:

They tried to address that with Rogue taking offense to the speech and Havok's position being defended by saying there is no central mutant culture or community since mutants come from everywhere and can be anyone.

Which doesn't work at all, since you can say exactly the same thing about gay people.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Basically Remender had a valid position he wanted Alex to make a stand on and utterly poo poo the bed on the execution, and now he's getting the raking-over-the-coals he has coming.

Bendis expands slightly on it on tumblr, it's a pretty direct f-you.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Practical Demon posted:

They tried to address that with Rogue taking offense to the speech and Havok's position being defended by saying there is no central mutant culture or community since mutants come from everywhere and can be anyone. Which is completely contradictory to all the established history of X-Men comics showing a pretty strong mutant community, and things like Jumbo Carnation and Morrison's other attempts to explore the concept of a mutant culture.

The X-Books are all now either backpedaling and reframing the argument to make the speech not seem offensive, or other writers giving Remender a big middle finger.

How can you not blame Quesada for the loss of the mutant culture narrative? "NO MORE MUTANTS!" If the actual minority narrative had been allowed to continue, who knows what we'd have ended up with, or what authors like Bendis and Remender would've done with it?

If anyone wants to argue this further I'll be back later, I need to go ~sell my dreams~

(Issue #3)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Super hero/villain tech support.

What are this guy's powers, you ask?

Young Avengers #6

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

David Alleyne is now my favorite mutant.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The worst thing House of M did was end Academy X. I miss Prodigy and all those characters a lot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That final,"I know lots of stuff :sigh:" is just beautiful :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah, that's like a way better take on Lyla Miller or Rogue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He must have lots and lots of blowjob skills that he tries not to think about.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If he's learned everything Emma knows, blowjobs are far from the most embarrassing thing he is good at.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So he's basically the mutant version of Mark Zuckerberg's facebook powers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

If he's learned everything Emma knows, blowjobs are far from the most embarrassing thing he is good at.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being the best at what you do. :nws:Even if what you do is blowjobs.:nws:

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Hollis posted:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Christmas Jones posted:

How can you not blame Quesada for the loss of the mutant culture narrative? "NO MORE MUTANTS!"

I felt Joe's best work while in charge, and a glaring example of this, is NYX. Young mutants on the streets with no support group but themselves, untouched by any sort of outreach. Personally, I think it's great to pull mutants out of a group identity with their absurd aliases and sartorial bed making GBS threads, but he really did tear them apart from the seams all in pursuit of a dollar and cheap yet fully expected shock.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not at all convinced the whole mutant culture narrative would've been the next logical step for X-Men if Quesada hadn't forced M-day. As was said earlier, Morrison barely just laid the foundation for it. Jumbo Carnation appeared in like three pages and we were told he was a big deal, but that's not really a big enough seed that could have determined the future of X-Men as a franchise. I'm sorry, but most of the books that came about as a result of House of M have been way better than the books that came in-between Morrison's X-Men and HoM, so I think "what could've been" is a completely moot point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey, can someone post the scene of the DOOMHERBIES discussing Daft Punk? I need a new facebook background.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not at all convinced the whole mutant culture narrative would've been the next logical step for X-Men if Quesada hadn't forced M-day. As was said earlier, Morrison barely just laid the foundation for it. Jumbo Carnation appeared in like three pages and we were told he was a big deal, but that's not really a big enough seed that could have determined the future of X-Men as a franchise. I'm sorry, but most of the books that came about as a result of House of M have been way better than the books that came in-between Morrison's X-Men and HoM, so I think "what could've been" is a completely moot point.

It was doomed at the start because it's a generally a lovely idea for the universal stand in for any and all minorities to develop a distinct culture. When you define what mutants are culturally you lose the ability to plug them in for whatever minority culture the story needs them to be.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

It was doomed at the start because it's a generally a lovely idea for the universal stand in for any and all minorities to develop a distinct culture. When you define what mutants are culturally you lose the ability to plug them in for whatever minority culture the story needs them to be.

I'm not sure I agree, especially when the alternative was decimation, which destroyed a whole bunch of possible allegories.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

Giving a specific definition for the culture would have been a lovely idea, yes. That's why what Morrison did -- keeping Jumbo Carnation offstage and just asserting that there was a mutant culture without ever showing it -- was so smart. Minorities develop their own culture; mutants should too. As long as it's just the nebulous term "mutant culture", you can still use it as a stand-in for every oppressed minority ever, and how they react to a culture that doesn't want them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Hey, can someone post the scene of the DOOMHERBIES discussing Daft Punk? I need a new facebook background.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Basically Remender had a valid position he wanted Alex to make a stand on and utterly poo poo the bed on the execution, and now he's getting the raking-over-the-coals he has coming.

Bendis expands slightly on it on tumblr, it's a pretty direct f-you.

It seems like a bunch of people are confused over how comics work.
Havok is a character with a point of view while Kitty is another character with a point of view.
What has Remender got to do with anything???
Writers write positive and negative stuff every month when presenting different points of views for the chacters they bring to life.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You don't think a work of fiction can reveal the personal politics of the author?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

caboodle posted:

Remender was the one who decided that Havok would have a point of view, what point of view that was, how he would express it, and ultimately Remender was the one who told people who disagreed with Havok's extremely privileged and socially unconscious position to drown themselves in hobo piss.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Mr. Squishy posted:

You don't think a work of fiction can reveal the personal politics of the author?

No one tell him about Fables.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

whatsabattle posted:

No one tell him about Fables.

Or Frank Miller's work post 9/11

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

caboodle posted:

It seems like a bunch of people are confused over how comics work.
Havok is a character with a point of view while Kitty is another character with a point of view.
Writers write positive and negative stuff every month when presenting different points of views for the chacters they bring to life.

Writers don't just have characters spout idealogies for no reason. Speeches like that have a purpose in a story. Havok is the leader, making a statement about the issue at the heart of the book, it's very clear that we're meant to be on his side here.

I mean it's possible this is a story about how Havok is an idiot who really doesn't understand how to deal with this situation, but that's not how the issue was presented at all. I mean honestly, what do you think the chances are of that happening, realistically?

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Remender was the one who decided that Havok would have a point of view, what point of view that was, how he would express it, and ultimately Remender was the one who told people who disagreed with Havok's extremely privileged and socially unconscious position to drown themselves in hobo piss.

WordMercenary posted:

Writers don't just have characters spout idealogies for no reason. Speeches like that have a purpose in a story. Havok is the leader, making a statement about the issue at the heart of the book, it's very clear that we're meant to be on his side here.

I mean it's possible this is a story about how Havok is an idiot who really doesn't understand how to deal with this situation, but that's not how the issue was presented at all. I mean honestly, what do you think the chances are of that happening, realistically?

I can't reiterate this enough, the writers job is to put words in the mouth of the characters.
If all the characters had the same belief then there would be no conflict and we might as well be reading DC comics.
If writers believed EVERYTHING they wrote, then the writers of the Red Skull or Dr Doom would be sick puppies.
If this freaks you out, wait until you start reading books!!!

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

caboodle posted:

I can't reiterate this enough, the writers job is to put words in the mouth of the characters.
If all the characters had the same belief then there would be no conflict and we might as well be reading DC comics.
If writers believed EVERYTHING they wrote, then the writers of the Red Skull or Dr Doom would be sick puppies.

yes but remender specifically went out and said that this was his belief on twitter

Or, you know, we're all just loving idiots. One of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

caboodle posted:

Well you can restate it all you want, but it doesn't make it anymore interesting or relevant to the discussion.

• Locked thread