Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I don't know my schedule offhand so I'll find out tomorrow when I show up for payroll and call the employer the same day. I double-checked thru Linkedin and Indeed so they look like a legit company. I'd post it here but I learned my lesson about that kind of thing. I have an outfit in mind as well as writing samples and a way to get up there. I'll schedule it before work so I don't show up dirty and sweaty. I'll let you guys know after I've scheduled my interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Benny the Snake posted:

I have an outfit in mind as well as writing samples and a way to get up there.

Don't overthink the outfit and walk in wearing a diaper, a tiara, and swim fins.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
I don't see what you mean when you say you've "learned your lesson."

The excuse for absence you had planned was to say you were massively hung over. What the ever-loving-gently caress.

E/N crew has steered you clear of like 5,000 pitfalls you'd be lying in had the internet not vetted your gut-instinct. I'm bringing this up because for all we know this new employment prospect could be like neon-signs screaming SCAM, NOT LEGITIMATE, but you'd think it's totally legit.

You can tell us what field it is, your responsibilities, expectations they have of you, any pre-mentioned payment structure without blowing your employer's cover.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
You lose your paycheck on the way home, don't you? Like you put it down and its gone. You are sooo hosed without therapy/someone to help you. Your never going anywhere. Tread fast on that treadmill Benny, the thing speeds up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If you don't know your schedule how to you know to show up for work?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

MassaShowtime posted:

If you don't know your schedule how to you know to show up for work?
I meant I don't know my schedule for next week. Otherwise, I write it down.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Please read the entire archive of Ask A Manager , particularly such categories as interviewing, hiring, job search, resumes...

Also, how much "outfit" does a man need to interview at a legal place? Isn't it just a suit? It's not like you're entering a creative field (or Abercrombie & Fitch I guess). I mean drat, I have a nice pants/blazer combo ready to go, and I work in insurance billing where I sit in a back office and wear scrubs.

You know what, I'm going to bust out my very special E/N gif that I only post in the dumbest of threads. You've earned it, buddy.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

gently caress it, I am voting 5. Or I don't know, maybe that's overthinking it.

I made a smartass comment upthread. I think I may have been right.

Xenocides posted:

Are you purposefully sabotaging yourself because you do not like your jobs?

sandbox posted:

Hey man, he does have an English degree.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't know my schedule offhand so I'll find out tomorrow when I show up for payroll and call the employer the same day. I double-checked thru Linkedin and Indeed so they look like a legit company. I'd post it here but I learned my lesson about that kind of thing. I have an outfit in mind as well as writing samples and a way to get up there. I'll schedule it before work so I don't show up dirty and sweaty. I'll let you guys know after I've scheduled my interview.

Just FYI, until last month there were prostitutes on Linkedin (they had to ban them). I even got a message one time from a "futurist" asking me to do software development on their project called "First the Earth" building "circular cities designed to the overhead positions of the stars". Not everything on there is legit.

I don't know anything about these legal company scams myself so I'd say wait until the interview and see what you'd be doing in the job before blowing them off.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Did you google their name plus the word scam? That will clear things up for you, either way.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny, I know you're feeling pressure to save up and get your own place/car, but I really think it's important that you focus on 1) seeing a therapist about the issues that have been discussed in this thread and 2) getting as many hours as you can and performing to the best of your ability at the Target job.

Unless some once-in-a-lifetime dream job comes up (and by that I do not mean a legal services firm that may or may not be a scam), you're putting the cart before the horse. Right now, you should be focused on self-improvement. You're still struggling with some pretty basic work-related issues that shouldn't be difficult to handle - trying to weasel out of taking a coworker's shift, turning down extra shifts that you have no good reason to avoid, failing to apply common sense when the opportunity to schedule an interview arises, and so on. If you continue on this path, your resume will turn into a series of short-lived, low-skilled or unskilled jobs that you ultimately lose because of easily avoidable mistakes. This does not look good to a prospective employer, nor will your inability to provide references from these jobs who will say positive things about working with you.

Right now, with a 25-30 hour work schedule and minimal financial commitments, you have the perfect opportunity to work on your problems while still making enough money to build up savings. Don't make excuses about how your schedule is too unpredictable to make therapy appointments or decide that "hungover" is a better explanation for missing work than "doctor's appointment" or any of that bullshit. If your schedule is seriously THAT erratic, a good therapist will work with you to schedule appointments when you're free, even if that's a different day and time every week.

You're not ready to move out yet. You don't "need" a car yet, if you're getting to work just fine anyway. You have two objectives now: get help, and do your best at Target. Don't overthink it. Don't get distracted by family drama or too-good-to-be-true job opportunities. Living at home isn't ideal, and neither is working retail, but for now, it's OK. As far as retail goes, I've heard Target's not a bad place to be. Stop getting ahead of yourself.

Goddamnit, Benny...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I can't tell if Benny is just Ctrl+Fing "therapy" and putting users that mention it on ignore, or if the idea of getting therapy just sounds like it would waste too many of his precious 143 hours a week of free time so he doesn't want to acknowledge it as something he needs to do to become some semblance of a functional human being, and would prefer to spend the rest of his life being unable to put things in boxes,

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I can't tell if Benny is just Ctrl+Fing "therapy" and putting users that mention it on ignore, or if the idea of getting therapy just sounds like it would waste too many of his precious 143 hours a week of free time so he doesn't want to acknowledge it as something he needs to do to become some semblance of a functional human being, and would prefer to spend the rest of his life being unable to put things in boxes,

Look, he had to put things in boxes fast, okay? How could you possibly expect him to do that without decades of training and practice? It's not as if it was a low-skill job he got through a temp agency -

Oh.

Oh, right.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I'm starting to think benny is an elaborate troll, there is just no way he can be for real.

Benny, answer our questions. Have you looked up therapists in your area yet?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

He doesn't have to look up local mental health services; he's been repeatedly linked to them in this thread, pages ago. Phone numbers and Websites.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't you need a car and wings before you can get to therapy?

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

I'm starting to think benny is an elaborate troll, there is just no way he can be for real.

this.

Hard to believe all this is coming from a grown up man.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Benny how much have you spent on pot, comics and movies in the last 3 months?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Benny, do you think that life works the way it does on TV? You don't need to come up with some elaborate lie to call out of work. In the real world we just say "I'm not feeling well" when we call in. We don't have to come up with some super specific tale of why we can't go and then hope to god we don't run into Mr. Belding later.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dead Cow posted:

Benny, do you think that life works the way it does on TV? You don't need to come up with some elaborate lie to call out of work. In the real world we just say "I'm not feeling well" when we call in. We don't have to come up with some super specific tale of why we can't go and then hope to god we don't run into Mr. Belding later.

Benny gets his idea of how the world works from Archie comics.

Next week, "I accidentally scheduled two interviews for the same time! I'm going to get my brother to put a wig on and go to one as me, that'll take care of the problem!"

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

Benny gets his idea of how the world works from Archie comics.

Next week, "I accidentally scheduled two interviews for the same time! I'm going to get my brother to put a wig on and go to one as me, that'll take care of the problem!"

Given what we know about his interviewing track record, this may actually yield better results.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

PurePerfection posted:

Given what we know about his interviewing track record, this may actually yield better results.

From what we've heard so far, Benny is the more reliable brother :ohdear: He finished his degree, for example.

No wonder the parents are God-botherers. They'll need a miracle to get their sons out of the house.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

cucurbit posted:

Did you google their name plus the word scam? That will clear things up for you, either way.

You'd be surprised. Some companies actually anticipate this and create additional websites or pay people to write up articles on how they're ~totally not scams~ so if you run into any poo poo like that, be wary as well.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Benny seems like he needs a drill instructor more than a therapist.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

xov posted:

You'd be surprised. Some companies actually anticipate this and create additional websites or pay people to write up articles on how they're ~totally not scams~ so if you run into any poo poo like that, be wary as well.

Yeah but if there is a website that describes how totally not a scam something is, it's probably a scam. Normal companies don't need the disclaimer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

natetimm posted:

Benny seems like he needs a drill instructor more than a therapist.

This would go over well...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Yeah probably not an actual one, but I have to wonder whether his problems could be resolved through therapy without the therapist strangling him. He needs self-discipline so badly and I'm not sure it's something he really wants. I could easily see him going to therapy tons of times, weaseling out of instructions and then complaining it doesn't work.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think I've figured it out: Benny is a libertarian. This whole thread is performance art to convince us that libertarians are right, and some people just deserve to be poor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It sure as poo poo is working.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

I think I've figured it out: Benny is a libertarian. This whole thread is performance art to convince us that libertarians are right, and some people just deserve to be poor.

So once we are all taken in he will rush off to show himself as a captain of industry by buying into a cruise ship and sailing off to international waters to build a utopia?

The followup thread will be even better.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AtmaHorizon posted:

this.

Hard to believe all this is coming from a grown up man.

Nothing about Benny is grown up.

Benny, I would love to her the train of thought that lead to "overthinking" an excuse into "I'll call in with a hangover!"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I thought several times about posting that, should Benny find a job, the thread would start demanding to know why he didn't have two jobs. I'm pleased to see that apparently I have the gift of prophecy.

That said, Benny, I think you probably need someone you know and trust (not necessarily anyone in this thread, though the thread does seem to serve that function) to bounce ideas off before you do them, because you apparently have an underdeveloped internal mechanism that would normally tell someone NO THAT IS A STUPID IDEA DON'T DO THAT. You're hardly unique in that -- everyone makes mistakes, and everyone especially makes mistakes when starting a new job -- but it does seem like a very consistent problem that you have.

For example, the correct answer to "should I try to weasel out of covering my coworker's shift for no good reason". "should I plead off work with the excuse that I have a hangover", "should I schedule a job interview as far in the future as humanly possible", etc., is always going to be NO THAT IS A STUPID IDEA DON'T DO THAT.

Edit: If someone does end up buying him a red-text avatar, it should read NO THAT IS A STUPID IDEA DON'T DO THAT.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 1, 2013

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Arch Stanton posted:

Also booze/going out to eat. I also would like to know the answer to this.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

docbeard posted:

I thought several times about posting that, should Benny find a job, the thread would start demanding to know why he didn't have two jobs. I'm pleased to see that apparently I have the gift of prophecy.
This is hardly precognition. If a college graduate sets out to find a full-time job in order to support himself and become an actual adult, and the best he ends up with is "part-time cart pusher" then yeah -- clearly the goal isn't met yet.

Therapy. This is really the only answer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arch Stanton posted:

Benny how much have you spent on therapy in the last 3 months?

Oh right, nothing. See a doctor Benny.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Everyone need to stop recommending therapy because he's not going to go.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Grin and Tonic posted:

If we were only allowed to make suggestions we believed the OP would follow E/N threads would be much less entertaining.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Grin and Tonic posted:

Telling him to do something he would actually do would only let him validate his life choices.

Also anything he would actually do would probably be terrible advice.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Therapy will also only put out what you put into it. If you don't really want to do it, it won't do anything for you besides lighten your wallet.

That said, I was one of Benny's defenders. This is just baffling. HOW do you screw up as a cart pusher? I did that job when I was 17- and skipped right over to cash in training. It's honestly more effort to do the job wrong than right.

I get that finding a real job is hard in today's market. I get that finding a job is soul-crushing. I get that a bad home environment makes everything harder. In spite of that, it's still like Benny's going out of his way to do everything wrong.

With that set of circumstances, here's what he should be doing:

Let's say part time is 28 hours a week (at many supermarkets, it's 28, and what you work Sunday doesn't count against the 28; effectively making part time <36 and full time >37). You're working 20. Step up your game and get an extra full shift, 2 half shifts or just be the guy to call when someone calls in.

Minimum wage where you are is what, $8? At 28 hours/week, that's $224.

Figuring 4 paychecks / month; that's $896. Not great, but it's a start.

Put that $24 per week into a savings account that you don't touch; that's a small start for your rainy day fund.

You can get a room for $300? Do it. Your motivation is your home life, right? It's a standing invitation too, you don't know how good you have it.

2 paychecks, 2x$200, that pays your rent and utilities for the month.

The next $200, that's transportation and grocery money. The next one can also be used for that, along with clothing/entertainment/incidentals/whatever but see if you can save half to a quarter of it.

With the rest of your time, see if you can work more, or, even better, for a different department- it will broaden your skills and often will not count against the hours you work for your department. You can also use the time to do contract work and/or look for a better job.

There's what you should be doing, Benny, but now I seriously doubt you'll even try to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Be sure to call in sick so you can watch the Wimbledon finals!

• Locked thread