Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I loving _hate the 1-2 on the 540i, it makes me look like a sixteen year old borrowing Dad's car.

Think i'll yank my CDV tonight, this chat has reminded me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

this guys sig made me laugh.

...E46 era CDV's were easy to rip out and replace with the dummy one......I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference though.

I have no idea what CDV is on my F10, but it's nearly impossible to shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly without being extremely patient and gentle or you will snap your neck/make your passengers spill their lattes. Part of it is probably the sheer bulk of the beast.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Everyone posted:

CDV chat

Maybe this explains why I thought the E92 I played with had one of the worst clutches I'd driven. WTF BMW after years of honestly pretty great transmissions and clutch feel you go to some fancy poo poo?

Transmission in the E30 M3 is so perfect...slightly notchy, not short throw but pretty ideal, very positive engagement, smooth as hell and a great clutch. And time to go for a drive.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The best BMW transmission I've ever experienced is the ZF 6 speed in the E46. With the ZHP shifter it was absolutely perfect. But I like the heavy e36 M3 clutch better. Still wish I could get my hands on the 6speed, it is possible to throw it in an e36,

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Crustashio posted:

The best BMW transmission I've ever experienced is the ZF 6 speed in the E46. With the ZHP shifter it was absolutely perfect. But I like the heavy e36 M3 clutch better. Still wish I could get my hands on the 6speed, it is possible to throw it in an e36,

They are more or less the same transmission, as an FYI, with merely the addition of the 6th gear (but a terrible cost of ease of rebuild.) On a local E46 M3 track build, the owner opted for the E36 ZF transmission, cost, availability, gearing, etc.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Guinness posted:

That said, the difference after removing the CDV on my 330ci was not nearly as large as the internet hype had led me to believe it would be. Yes it is an improvement, yes I still recommend removing it, but it's not some night-and-day transformative difference like some people make it out to be. It does eliminate the inconsistent clutch vagueness, most notably on the 1-2 shift and when downshift revmatching. Now when I release the clutch, it releases now not some fraction of a second later than now. I don't randomly flub the 1-2 shift like a scrub anymore, and that alone is worth the effort.
Yeah, same experience here with an '09 128i. I definitely would still recommend it, but it wasn't like the clouds opened up and the light of heaven shone down upon the gearbox.

Personally i think my issues with it are related to the E-throttle. It just doesn't feel like it is a 1:1 action between the accelerator pedal and the throttle butterfly - like the electronic nannies are second guessing my input. Probably something to do with trying to make the shifts more "comfortable" or some nonsense.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crustashio posted:

To me the best would be the Getrag 260 with a 4.10 LSD on an M20B25, second best is whatever they put in a NB Miata.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I quite like the 6-speed w/ ZHP knob in my E46, but overall I liked the 5-speed in my old NA Miata even more. But that's kind of like saying I liked the filet mignon more than the king salmon at a world-class restaurant.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Yeah, same experience here with an '09 128i. I definitely would still recommend it, but it wasn't like the clouds opened up and the light of heaven shone down upon the gearbox.

Personally i think my issues with it are related to the E-throttle. It just doesn't feel like it is a 1:1 action between the accelerator pedal and the throttle butterfly - like the electronic nannies are second guessing my input. Probably something to do with trying to make the shifts more "comfortable" or some nonsense.

Well, I went from an E90 without it, to one with it overnight, and didn't have time to pull it for two weeks. So aggravating. The description of feeling like a 16 year old borrowing Dad's car is pretty apt.

The e-throttle adapts to your driving style, and if you drive it hard, becomes more responsive, ie, depressed halfway is all the way open. However, I suspect that "all the way" isn't quite the same as pinning it to the floor in terms of how it reacts.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Alarbus posted:

The e-throttle adapts to your driving style, and if you drive it hard, becomes more responsive, ie, depressed halfway is all the way open. However, I suspect that "all the way" isn't quite the same as pinning it to the floor in terms of how it reacts.

That explains a few things.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah, well I don't have a "driving style". Most of the time I'm in gas-saver mode. But when it is time to raise the black flag and give them hell, I want the thing to act like it has a throttle cable - not a nanny asking me "are you sure you really want to do that".

My Toyota Tundra can accomplish this. If not for having to clean out the throttle body one time, I wouldn't even know it had an e-throttle. Why does BMW have to be so god drat in my driving business?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

Yeah, well I don't have a "driving style". Most of the time I'm in gas-saver mode. But when it is time to raise the black flag and give them hell, I want the thing to act like it has a throttle cable - not a nanny asking me "are you sure you really want to do that".

My Toyota Tundra can accomplish this. If not for having to clean out the throttle body one time, I wouldn't even know it had an e-throttle. Why does BMW have to be so god drat in my driving business?

I started turning on M Dynamic mode whenever I drive which makes the throttle a hair-trigger. I'm on the gas pretty much constantly. 14.9MPG for the win.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

thealphabetsez posted:

They are more or less the same transmission, as an FYI, with merely the addition of the 6th gear (but a terrible cost of ease of rebuild.) On a local E46 M3 track build, the owner opted for the E36 ZF transmission, cost, availability, gearing, etc.

I realize they are the same ratios but the two transmissions feel completely different. I have two e36s with the ZF 5spd and had a ZHP with the 6spd. The ZHP was hands down the best shifting BMW I've driven. It didn't have that usual notchiness that every older BMW transmission seems to have.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Jealous Cow posted:

I started turning on M Dynamic mode whenever I drive which makes the throttle a hair-trigger. I'm on the gas pretty much constantly. 14.9MPG for the win.

The only MDM "feature" I used on my blue M3 was the more lenient DSC settings. The throttle response mapping is kind of annoying, and I prefer tunes that change it to more reasonable levels (Evolve, Dinan, etc) and I just find EDC to be silly.

On the clutch delay spring, the M cars it really does make a huge difference, the CDV isn't bad on the other cars. But for an M car you really want to get rid of that spring, especially on a dual plate setup like that.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I love my e46 330Ci but I've recently gotten the bug to get something a bit newer, a bit sportier, and a bit more impractical.

I've been looking at the Z4 M. I've done quite a bit of reading and it looks like the only real sticking point aside from the usual is the harshness of ride, which won't be a problem for me. I've always really liked the Z3 M Clownshoe, and those seem to be holding their value pretty well...I would be interested in one of those but I want to get something newer if I get a different car.

It looks like decent examples with mileage in the 30-40k range are in the $25-30k range. This fits pretty well into my budget so that's not a problem. Most likely won't make a move until November/December of this year.

I've only seen one person in this thread that had one. I forget who it was but it got damaged while in a parking lot I think? No one seems to have these cars...I do know they didn't sell a ton of them though. Or is there a reason I haven't found why no one buys them?

Also, I can't really make up my mind whether I want it with or without a roof:

Oh great BMW thread...help me!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I came very close to buying one 5 years ago, and bought my Corvette instead :doh: They are quicker than the E46 M3 owing to being a couple hundred pounds lighter, and handle really well. I never liked the interior of that particular car but if you can overlook the styling it's a damned quick car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I always wanted one. My only problem being that people only seem to have bought the convertible, so there were never any used coupes.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

My problem with these is that in my area they're pretty much exclusively owned by old retired businessmen who just play golf now, or housewives without kids and they are all convertibles.

I think the coupes are super sharp looking though in person. They need to be the right color like the blue one you posted above. Red ones do look like clown shoes.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Das Volk posted:

No, they did throw us a bone in that they put a spring in the clutch instead of a delay valve. Still feels like poo poo, much easier to rectify.

I think they've improved it a bit, my 2013 feels alot more natural than the used 2008's I test drove. Since the car has like 600 miles on it I'm not gonna rip anything apart yet. I do really want to do the Rear View Camera retrofit next year however.

Koirhor fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 29, 2013

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Someone local is selling a '96 Z3, M44, 5 speed, "low mileage, one owner" for.... $9500. Ha... ha ha hahahahahahahaha.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Moxie Omen posted:

Someone local is selling a '96 Z3, M44, 5 speed, "low mileage, one owner" for.... $9500. Ha... ha ha hahahahahahahaha.

So you're located exactly as far away from Spartanburg, SC as you can possibly be on this planet, right?

I bet it has parchment interior, too, doesn't it?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah but those aren't real dollars.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I can find a lot of absurdly proud classified listings on BMWCCA as well, doesn't mean poo poo's actually worth that kind of dosh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you are willing to pay those prices. I have a Fallout 3 Collector's Edition to sell you for 400 dollars.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Moxie Omen posted:

I can find a lot of absurdly proud classified listings on BMWCCA as well, doesn't mean poo poo's actually worth that kind of dosh.

I was posting it more to show how retarded people are around here.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If I want a good belly laugh, I go read the classifieds on BMWCCA. I'm sure they're all very nice cars but holy poo poo are they delusional about what they're worth.

The BMW forums aren't that far behind either to be honest.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
E: problem solved, it was an easy fix..

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 30, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I feel like the resale value of a lot of these cars is pretty high compared to other marques. Several BMWs show up on the "least depreciating" lists from the past couple of years, and it wouldn't surprise me if long term they were one of the best for that (if you exclude the 7 series that is :laugh:)

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of resale value, what does the hive mind think a 528e e28 with a slipping auto trans is worth? Body is straight, dash isn't cracked. Paint is good and shiny.

I'm thinking 1500 just to get rid of it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

if anybody is in the market for a CPO 09 128i 6 speed, just traded mine to BMW of Columbia SC. CDV has been replaced. only has 34xxxx miles and in the past year has had the gas tank, O2 sensors, radio, and 3rd tail light replaced.

took a wash on it but have had it listed for forever and it needed to go - a sacrifice to the car gods to get my new shop built.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Wombot posted:

Speaking of resale value, what does the hive mind think a 528e e28 with a slipping auto trans is worth? Body is straight, dash isn't cracked. Paint is good and shiny.

I'm thinking 1500 just to get rid of it.

Where are you located?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Does anybody remember my terrible, terrible rust problems? I finally got around to putting on the top coat of "Chassis Coat Black" POR-15, it's certainly not invisible but my goal of "police not pull me over for too much visible rust" is achieved.

SD 127 Car Appearance by Execudork, on Flickr

Also Dinosaur Skull hood ornament.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I love my e46 330Ci but I've recently gotten the bug to get something a bit newer, a bit sportier, and a bit more impractical.

I've been looking at the Z4 M. I've done quite a bit of reading and it looks like the only real sticking point aside from the usual is the harshness of ride, which won't be a problem for me. I've always really liked the Z3 M Clownshoe, and those seem to be holding their value pretty well...I would be interested in one of those but I want to get something newer if I get a different car.

It looks like decent examples with mileage in the 30-40k range are in the $25-30k range. This fits pretty well into my budget so that's not a problem. Most likely won't make a move until November/December of this year.

I've only seen one person in this thread that had one. I forget who it was but it got damaged while in a parking lot I think? No one seems to have these cars...I do know they didn't sell a ton of them though. Or is there a reason I haven't found why no one buys them?

My mom had one - I sold it for her in the 31k-ish area. Red/Black 2007 with 23k miles on it sold in early 2010. It was 1/204 red M Coupes sold in the US.

The basic idea is BMW built a S2000 except with enough power to the point that the thing will probably kill you if you try pushing the limits of the car and it ends up that you aren't really as good a driver as you thought. I'm talking DSC off handling here... then again, who goes out to have fun with a car and leaves DSC on? (or at least M-Mode on the M3/M5, which I actually kinda don't mind sometimes.)

Oh, and you're going to knock the gently caress out of your head getting in/out eventually. Rear visibility? No. Cargo area? Not bad at all. Shift knob? Gonna end up tossed through the rear window eventually. Wires will be stuck out of the shift boot - they used to go to the lighted shift knob. Attention? Everyone looks at it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 30, 2013

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That was me. It's fixed now.

I've got a blue '07 3.0si coupe, which isn't quite as nuts as the M car. I'm happy to talk about it if you've got questions.

As for convertible vs coupe, it really depends on what you want to do with it. I take my Z4 up to the track. The coupe is much more convenient than the convertible for that, since some clubs or tracks require certain rollover setups for convertibles. On the other hand, when I'm cruising around on a nice summer day, I do often wish I could have the top down. But in the end, I like the looks of the coupe far better than the convertible, so it was an easy choice. Though I did have to wait more than six months for one to come on the Minneapolis market.

The interior is very bare-bones, which I love. No worthless nav screen in mine, just radio and HVAC controls. What else would you want? There's no place to rest your left arm, which sucks for long road trips.

I agree with everything BlackMK4 said (though I only hit my head going in the first time). I especially agree about the stupid shifter knob. I don't know if all modern BMWs work this way, but the knob isn't actually attached to the shifter. It just kinda clips into the top. Dumb. I've had it come off while driving before, and I ended up just putting some electrical tape on the shifter and jamming the loving knob over it. Hasn't budged since.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Well that was exciting! Not five minutes after finishing some modifications to a cheap USB to OBD2 cable, I misclicked in the programming software, which reset all my ECU's adaptations and killed something called the EWS/DMS synchronization, thus immobilizing my car. An hour and a half later I figured it out and I'm up and running again. Fun fun fun!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I have read a bit about some tracks having special requirements for 'verts, so there is another check in the coupe box. I really like the thought of a more spartan interior. No one needs a million buttons and screens and poo poo in the car, you're supposed to drive, maybe adjust the hvac and radio, and roll the windows up and down.

The blue looks amazing on these, that's probably the color I'll look for. Definitely not going for a black one, or a silver one as that's what color my car is now and I like some variety.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

concise posted:

Well that was exciting! Not five minutes after finishing some modifications to a cheap USB to OBD2 cable, I misclicked in the programming software, which reset all my ECU's adaptations and killed something called the EWS/DMS synchronization, thus immobilizing my car. An hour and a half later I figured it out and I'm up and running again. Fun fun fun!

Ugh I hate the fact that I can't get all that programming stuff working. I've been messing with it on and off for nearly two years with only partial success. Any BMWgoons in the north Atl metro want to come gently caress with my setup for a case of beer?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

Ugh I hate the fact that I can't get all that programming stuff working. I've been messing with it on and off for nearly two years with only partial success. Any BMWgoons in the north Atl metro want to come gently caress with my setup for a case of beer?
What car, software, and cable are you using? Have you been able to read DME stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where are you located?

PNW, Seattle specifically.