Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I only use bulb mode. You just have to have a feel for the light. :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Platystemon posted:

I only use bulb mode. You just have to have a feel for the light. :snoop:

The OM-D can actually live view the exposure during bulb mode shots, so you don't even have to guess :allears:

Pretty sure some NEXs can do that too, actually.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have an ignorant person question here: my sister bought a Sony alpha 37, which takes really decent pictures, by comparison my NEX 5 is totally unimpressive. Since the sensors are apparently the same size, can it be explained by different optics and construction ?
Also is there a better replacement for the stock 18-55 ?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Probably she takes better pictures.

No there is no better zoom optic than the 18-55 in the NEX mount.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
If you haven't heard yet, the X-Pro 1 and X-E1 will be getting focus peaking and all XF lenses (except the 18-55) are getting new, faster autofocus algorithms on July 23rd.

:torgue:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Probably she takes better pictures.

No there is no better zoom optic than the 18-55 in the NEX mount.

There is the pancake 16-50mm but it's just as fast the 18-55mm and not optically better either. Plus, the zoom is electrically controlled so you can't easily do fine minute adjustments.

If you really want a good zoom, you can get an LA-EA2 adapter (or an LA-EA1 if you really need the low light performance at the cost of better autofocus) and use any A-mount zoom lens you want like a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or the Sony 16-50mm f/2.8. Of course, the combination adds quite a bit of bulk and cost. The LA-EA2 and Tamron combo ran me around $800 total.

Or, just sell the NEX-5 and go Fujifilm or Micro Four-Thirds. Both platforms have good zoom lenses (and good primes as well) including the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 for the Fuji X-mount and the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 for Micro Four-Thirds among others.

That's what I'm thinking starting to consider. As much as I like the autofocus speed and quality of the LA-EA2/Tamron combo, the bulk of the setup is starting to wear thin on me. Plus, I'm not very excited by Sony's lens selection and future offerings.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ThisQuietReverie posted:

If you haven't heard yet, the X-Pro 1 and X-E1 will be getting focus peaking and all XF lenses (except the 18-55) are getting new, faster autofocus algorithms on July 23rd.

I love how Fujifilm continues to update the firmware on their cameras rather than just letting them be and releasing a new camera.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Sucks that they couldn't throw X100 users a bone and just give all X cameras focus peaking. I love my X100, it is not that old and I am not considering upgrading to an X100S either way. But, for all of the good done in firmware updates they never did make manual focus useable and it sucks that it seems like they plan on keeping it that way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I hope lots of people upgrade to the X100s, so that I can buy a X100 on the cheap.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ThisQuietReverie posted:

On one hand: Awesome.

On the other: That much longer until the X-Pro 2.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Aargh posted:

I love how Fujifilm continues to update the firmware on their cameras rather than just letting them be and releasing a new camera.

The more telling point will be whether they continue firmware updates after replacement models have been released.

Fart Car '97 posted:

On one hand: Awesome.

On the other: That much longer until the X-Pro 2.

Agreed. This late in the game, and maybe we won't see an update until Photokina, or maybe January 2014.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well everything about the X-M1 rumor was accurate, besides the kit lens being a surprise. I assume the 2nd X body come end of the year rumor was accurate too.

Although it takes a whole year for XP1 and XE1 to get all the manual focus aides, I am still glad Fuji continue to support their bodies and improve the egonomic. 2nd Fn key is very handy.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 25, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, that new Fuji $800 camera has everything I love about my NEX without the dumb "sony's vision of the future" body styling. I love my NEX but I might legitimately have to check this out one day.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Oh man, focus peaking and improved AF on the XE-1?
Do want.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Meanwhile, in Leica-land

But they have a G-star limited edition Panasonic re-badge :allears:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
So I said I would tell you guys what I thought of the Ricoh GR, and then I never got around to it.

Overall, I absolutely love the camera. I've already taken more photos with it in the last two weeks than I did with my DSLR in the last 6 months. It's so lightweight and compact, and just fun to use. It's absolutely packed full of features, which is great, but it also meant this camera had one hell of a learning curve. I'm still tweaking the customizations as I go along. The lens is incredibly sharp, just like the reviews said. The biggest negative for me is that I've never owned a camera or lens that didn't have image stabilization before this, and I didn't realize how much it would effect my ability to handhold at low shutter speeds. Part of the problem is me, because I've got a hand tremor. But I was getting a lot of blurry photos at 1/30 and 1/40 shutter speed, that would have been fine with a stabilized lens. And remember this is a 28 mm lens, so I would have thought I'd be fine. But I think I'm going to have to cap myself at 1/60 shutter speed while handheld. Another negative for me is that the color accuracy is a bit inconsistent from picture to picture compared to my DSLR. And the last negative is that the autofocus speed is a bit disappointing in low light. The regular autofocus is a bit inaccurate as well. It might lock in a person's face as the focus point, but then later I discover it actually focused on the background. For speed and accuracy sake, you'll pretty much want to put in on center-point focus and leave it there. But even with these small negatives, I still really love the camera, and am happy that I purchased it. Here's a couple sample pictures.

R0000425 edit srgb by Photos From a Porcupine, on Flickr

R0000722 edit srgb by Photos From a Porcupine, on Flickr

R0000196 edit srgb by Photos From a Porcupine, on Flickr

R0000759 edit srgb by Photos From a Porcupine, on Flickr

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

krooj posted:

The more telling point will be whether they continue firmware updates after replacement models have been released.

Agreed. This late in the game, and maybe we won't see an update until Photokina, or maybe January 2014.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what support happens when the xp 2 comes out. I don't quite understand everyone's rush for it though, the xp 1 has been out for what 18 months? 2 years? What's Canon's release cycle like? Where's the 7d mk ii?

The xp 1 does pretty much everything I need, small body, great ISO sensitivity, amazing picture quality and with the constant upgrades in firmware and autofocus it's a camera that I'll have for a long time yet. Sure when a xp2 comes out I'll look at it and maybe grab one but it won't make any of my pictures taken with the 1 any worse, hell this camera is way above my skill already.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Aargh posted:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what support happens when the xp 2 comes out. I don't quite understand everyone's rush for it though, the xp 1 has been out for what 18 months? 2 years?

Inclusion of phase detect AF, maybe better buttons/layout, I dunno. I'd like to see a weather sealed option, but I doubt it will happen. Focus peaking is seriously great, but that split focus thing on the x100s looks really cool too. I see your point though - there really isn't anything huge that a new model will bring to the table.

VVV

krooj posted:

My guess:
-Phase detect
-Higher res + refresh EVF
-Fix the loving tripod mount position

Ok, there are a few more changes that could make it worthwhile. I forget about the tripod mount except for when I go to use it and curse at it, and the X-E1 has a much nicer EVF than the XP1.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 25, 2013

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Helicity posted:

Inclusion of phase detect AF, maybe better buttons/layout, I dunno. I'd like to see a weather sealed option, but I doubt it will happen. Focus peaking is seriously great, but that split focus thing on the x100s looks really cool too. I see your point though - there really isn't anything huge that a new model will bring to the table.

My guess:
-Phase detect
-Higher res + refresh EVF
-Focus peeking + split image in EVF + focus confirmation in OVF
-Faster everything
-Maybe higher res sensor
-Tweaked layout
-Fix the loving tripod mount position

I wouldn't be surprised to see the updated camera launch with the 23/1.4 @ $2k or more.

I would love to see weather sealing as well, but none of the lenses have it, so I don't see the point.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The ME1 has ME1 sensor not X100s's sensor, hense no split image.

My guess is XP2 will have a different sensor, probably a 20mp one with split image support.

Only one thing can make me want a XPro-2:
get rip of the slant shoulder and make it look like Contax G2..

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
The firmware update in July looks like it has me sold on grabbing an X-E1.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Hmm just found a "bug". Focus peaking doesn't seem to work in multiple exposure mode on the X100S.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Got a x100s two weeks ago and it's amazing.

There's some truly baffling things about it though. Like, the flash seems to be disabled no matter what if you're shooting in film bracket mode? :psyduck: And you can't chose to bracket in only two film types, only three, which is like a super-small complaint but oddly annoying.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Has anyone used the the new Olympus 75-300? I realize it's not the fastest lens out there but a compact 600mm reach is tempting me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shazaminator posted:

Got a x100s two weeks ago and it's amazing.

There's some truly baffling things about it though. Like, the flash seems to be disabled no matter what if you're shooting in film bracket mode? :psyduck: And you can't chose to bracket in only two film types, only three, which is like a super-small complaint but oddly annoying.

I can't do it in XE1 either. Maybe when in film bracket mode the camera actually shoot the picture 3 times?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Wait.. how the hell do I even enable film bracketing mode?

.. Cause I swear I.. am not able to.. ?

I'm only able to enable AE bracketing..

:psyduck:

Edit: Ohhh wait I figured it out. For some reason film bracketing only works when you're shooting in jpeg only. It won't be an option if you shoot raw+jpeg and obviously raw only.

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 28, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Ahhh man. I just found out about the X-sale in the USA right now. I have a US address I could ship to in Niagara Falls NY (:canada:) and run across the river to grab it. Potentially save myself over 400 bucks against the Canadian price.
Any Canadian goons know if we ever get sales that substantial at Vistek or Henry's?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

That super sale is going to make it tough not to get an xe-1 and 35mm 1.4. 2% back from Amazon too.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking at. As a Canadian though any warranty work would be a pain as I assume I'd have to go back to the USA to get it repaired. Plus when I take it across the border I might get tagged and forced to pay a couple hundred bucks, lessening the savings.
:\

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking at. As a Canadian though any warranty work would be a pain as I assume I'd have to go back to the USA to get it repaired. Plus when I take it across the border I might get tagged and forced to pay a couple hundred bucks, lessening the savings.
:\

Can't you just dispose of the original packaging and take a few pictures with it to 'prove' that you had it with you the first time?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Rontalvos posted:

Can't you just dispose of the original packaging and take a few pictures with it to 'prove' that you had it with you the first time?

Just ditching the original packaging would be enough. Border guards are not going to blink an eye at a tourist with a camera

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
http://www.photoprice.ca/

This is a pretty good website to keep track of Canadian and American pricing trends of camera gear.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Speaking of warranty - isn't it just easier for camera manufacturers to apply a global warranty the same way a company like Apple or Lenovo do with their products? Regional warranties seem like a pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

With how much some of them charge for repairs? I have a feeling it's working out for them.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What is this super sale?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Dren posted:

What is this super sale?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_i=B006UV6YMQ

I picked up the XE-1, 35mm and 18mm.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Wow, that's a good deal.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

Wow, that's a good deal.

Yeah, especially if you have no interest in the kit zoom lens. All in all, I've been lusting after the X system since the X-Pro 1 was released so now's as good a time as any to dive in I guess.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
This is a great deal too bad the new 27mm isn't in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Wow. I am seriously considering this, even though I just spent all my free money on a new bass. I've been trying to hold out until the XP2 comes out and am still worried that I am going to miss the tiltable screen of my NEX (love shooting waist-level style)...decisions, decisions...

Also the $180 in tax sucks, stupid me moving to WA