Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The best place to pass on an SV is in a short straight between 2 corners where they're going to be coasting cause they're intimidated by the throttle, and not where they can pull past you easily on the throttle. A good place for a pass like this at THill is the T6-8 complex.

You can watch me set up a pass like I would have done on my SV on my 675 in this video, starting at 8:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVgUjbcn_CM

The guy in black on the GSX-R is turning in early to the slowest corner on the track (turn 5, the left hander at the top of the hill, 8:58). Knowing that he's turning in early, I prep for a pass on the exit of T6. Follow him around 5a (right hander, downhill, 8:59-9:05), then give him a bit of gap, and carry my usual pace into turn 6 (late apex left hander, 9:07) with a proper late entry, get on the gas early, and shoot out under him as he drifts wide to the curbing with plenty of speed in hand to get past him. I let off a bit because I was worried he was going to swoop back in with that line up front, but he then kept pushing wide and I passed.

Now, I don't commit as hard to this as I wasn't riding my SV and it was my first day back, and I knew that my triumph's 100+ HP would easily dispatch him with minimal pushing, so I just used the throttle rather than cornerspeed to get past him. Had I been on my SV, I would have done the same thing, but with more cornerspeed to help me drive out and I wouldn't have let him gap me as far on corner entrance.

You can see me do the same attempt but fail to drive out fast enough and pass on the brakes from 9:50 to 10:05 or so. Note that I switch to the inside line once he starts moving to the left to make sure that I don't have to go around the outside on my pass.

At about 4:30 you can see me pull off the inside pass onto the back straight. The concept is the same on an SV. Or you can watch the long battle I have with the R1, and then the traffic I pass from 6:20 until 12:55 or so, where i get some clear track. I go around the outside through some people getting on the track at around 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grCkbVeM9yY

This was in B so I was making all of my passes really clean and polite, so you'll notice sometimes I could have run really aggressive blocking passes and I just don't do that because it'd be really rude.

Also, make sure that when you get behind someone you make a conncious effort to keep looking PAST them. A lot of the problems people have with passing is they come up on a slower rider and they start doing their lines rather than staying with their own lines that were better, because they're focusing too much on the rider in front of them, and turning when they turn and getting on the gas late cause they're paying too much attention to the person in front of them.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
"excuse me, where could i find some air conditioning?". drat it was hot that day.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Thanks for the responses - I have another track day next weekend so I'll give it a shot.

Veritas: What track do you go to? CMRA was just at Hallett a few weeks ago.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
CMRA races at Hallett (OK), Eagles Canyon Raceway (TX), MSR Cresson (TX), Texas World Speedway (TX), MSR Houston (TX), and new for this year is NOLA Motorsports Park (LA). The NOLA round is the next one. gonna try to make it, if only to lend a hand to friends. if not, i'd like to make one of the trackdays there.

tracks:
http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/

http://msrhouston.com/

http://www.nolamotor.com/

http://eaglescanyon.com/httpdocs/2008/home.php

http://www.hallettracing.com/

http://www.motorsportranch.com/

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
WERA at Road Atlanta this weekend; spent yesterday and half of today up there helping out some buddies and blindly testing out a new camera lens. They ran the 6hr endurance race on Friday and were on track for a podium when the bike blew up ~45 mins before the race was over :( Second time they've DNFed from an endurance this year due to mechanical and third (fourth?) time the motor has blown up in the past 2 years. Suxuki :arghfist:

Also! I know most of the people here tend to run Pierlli's or somesuch, but check out what the Dunlop guy had for sale trackside:

That's right, D212's (after ~5 hours of endurance racing). The front tire has almost no lip (as in, the edge of the tire is nearly flush with the sidewall), I've never seen anything like it before. The team was loving it though. Apparently the grip is absolutely absurd.

And a track picture cause why not:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm running GPs on my R6, I'm happy with them so far, I haven't really gotten up to pace yet this year though.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Everything clicked today, thanks for the help all. Was way late braking and early on the throttle and passed a ton of people, way more comfortable then before. One guy on a GSXR-600 I couldn't get around, but that was half the fun catching back up. I know it's not a race, I was humbled by a few people, hot pitted once, but passing the R1 consistently was awesome. Probably one of my most fun track days ever.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Went to another track day at Ridge yesterday with Spiffness. Aaaand the R6 decided that it doesn't like to downshift anymore. I would hit false neutrals every couple downshifts, not so fun entering turn 1 at 100+ while making an inside pass. I didn't figure out if only happens in certain gear changes, maybe I'll test that out tonight. I'm guessing I bent the shift forks, I'm not really sure what else could cause it, the linkage is fine. A broken bike is better than my last track day, when I highsided the RS125 at 70mph.

I ended up riding Spiffness's bike in B group and turned my fastest ever laps. 1:56.**, I'm sure I'll be on the track record 1:36 pace in no time. GP shift wasn't super easy for me to get used to, I shifted in the wrong direction a couple times, but managed not to blow it up.

Oh yeah, and using a quickshifter is awesome.

Zool fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 17, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

Oh yeah, and using a quickshifter is awesome.

My brother came out with us just to hang out and took this bit of video down the straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTYbWsWOigA

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

My brother came out with us just to hang out and took this bit of video down the straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTYbWsWOigA

Gah I need to buy a quickshifter for my 675 but I really don't want to spend more money on a quickshifter for my 675.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I need to move to Cali, I can't stand this summer without trackdays.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
One lap at ridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2EQIdjj-kQ

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Spent two days at Thunderhill w/ Z3n and these are my two most memorable shots.

THE FUTURAAAAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!

THE FUTURA

I was in lowly B- but by the second day I had a delightful time passing nearly everyone in the most dignified knee-up fashion. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Spent two days at Thunderhill w/ Z3n and these are my two most memorable shots.

THE FUTURAAAAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!

THE FUTURA

I was in lowly B- but by the second day I had a delightful time passing nearly everyone in the most dignified knee-up fashion. :3:

That's not how you hang off! This is how you hang off:
http://gotbluemilk.com/web130623/t/imagepages/image45.html
Wait, I mean like this:
http://gotbluemilk.com/web130623/t/imagepages/image55.html

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

IIT: Post the most gettinest' pics you haven't paid for

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Open trackday on 9/23 at Thunderhill, $230. Who wants in? Drop me a line or get me some contact info and I'll get you in touch with the organizers. At the moment, Motomind, myself and a couple of other friends are in. Should be an awesome day. :3:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...hmm... It's 900mi from my house to TH.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ROAD TRIP

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I turn 26 a week and a half before (and lose health insurance), so as long as I don't end up getting my rear end choppered out we are good. What would a trackside dismount-mount-dismount-mount cost if I wanted to grab a set of takeoffs at the track there?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Spiffness posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

What is that spilling onto the ground near your rear tire?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^ Welding fluid.

BlackMK4 posted:

I turn 26 a week and a half before (and lose health insurance), so as long as I don't end up getting my rear end choppered out we are good. What would a trackside dismount-mount-dismount-mount cost if I wanted to grab a set of takeoffs at the track there?

Why don't you just drop by my place the day before the trackday and we can change them in my garage? Or I can prep my second set of rims with tires for you and we swap them on site?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm in on the trackday and I'll have a stupid 'fightered ZX10R to abuse.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'd love to come play but I just found out my wife is preggo. There goes my cash. This kids already done 3k+ on a bike, I hope he/she likes to ride. lol

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

powaa

Going back to Jennings in two weeks, and it'll be my first time on the SV :dance:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

epalm posted:

That? I wouldn't worry about that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Spiffness posted:

I pay for all of my gettin' pics :colbert:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

I really dwarf that R6.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

thank you RICK CLEMSON PHOTOGRAPHY

my friend's is better though :mad:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

That's not a track day or a race :mad:

My first time at Deal's Gap back when I first started riding :3:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

epalm posted:

Gas. We stalled out about 2 turns later, empty tank. Couldn't figure out why and the track workers were like "nah you didn't have a leak, we woulda seen it."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'd love to come play but I just found out my wife is preggo. There goes my cash. This kids already done 3k+ on a bike, I hope he/she likes to ride. lol

Congrats man :)

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'd love to come play but I just found out my wife is preggo.

So uh, what you selling?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
tempted to go race Dirt Wars at CE's tornado boot camp this weekend. had a blast last time i did a day there.
http://texastornadobootcamp.com/

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Do it, let us know how it goes. My rotors got massive bluing after my last weekend at Hallett, turn 2 is killer. Ordered new EBC EPFA brake pads and RBF 600 to try and fix it, anyone know anything about scrubbing rotors? I hear brake cleaner and scotchbrite does the trick, some people suggested steel wool.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm at Pacific Raceways for the first time today and the pavement here is complete poo poo. I've been spoiled by new tracks. This must be what road racing feels like.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

xaarman posted:

Do it, let us know how it goes. My rotors got massive bluing after my last weekend at Hallett, turn 2 is killer. Ordered new EBC EPFA brake pads and RBF 600 to try and fix it, anyone know anything about scrubbing rotors? I hear brake cleaner and scotchbrite does the trick, some people suggested steel wool.

Those look totally normal to me. Rotors get hot when you brake.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I test rode an S1000RR at Pacific Raceways today. So much power, I pulled on a GSXR 1000 down the straight, much more than I expected. I didn't notice the traction control, but I didn't ride it that hard as I didn't want to end up buying the thing. The anti-wheelie was pretty obtrusive, it would let you loft the wheel for a second, then abruptly cut power. The lovely pavement, insane power, and bike sprung for a 240lb rider led me to nearly being chucked off the bike as I pulled on to the front straight. Did I mention the power? It had a bunch of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Z3n posted:

Those look totally normal to me. Rotors get hot when you brake.

The bluing combined with the mega brake fade was what had me concerned. Scoping around, the changes above should do the fix and it doesn't look like the integrity of the rotors were hurt, but I normally expect them to look something similar to this:

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii629/tgoods2/Suzukisv650.jpg

• Locked thread