Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

seat chafe posted:

With a power attenuator like the THD Hot Plate, I should be able to run the head without a cab at all, and line-out into my computer.
I was thinking of something like that, just didn't remember if it worked like I was thinking or not. That's your best bet I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seat chafe
Jun 7, 2013

Is anyone here familiar with power attenuators? I want to crank my 100W head without using a cab, and record via a line-out interface.

I might go with the Weber Mass 200 instead of the THD Hot Plate. It looks like a better buy.

seat chafe fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 26, 2013

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Handen posted:

Anybody have any experience with old '50s/'60s Bogen PA amps repurposed as guitar amps? There's a Bogen Challenger CHA 33 for $250 at a shop in town plugged into a 4x12 that I played a few nights ago, and the thing hauls rear end. I dialed in a better stoner rock tone on that thing than I can get out of any amp I have currently. $250 is in the high range of what they seem to go for, so I'm just curious if anyone's familiar with them and what they think of them.

Looks like this:

sounds good, is good, just beware that due to age you'll probably have to get it refurbed.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

niff posted:

sounds good, is good, just beware that due to age you'll probably have to get it refurbed.

Truest sentiment. I get paid on Friday and back from a generator party freakout in the mountains on Monday. If it's still there this time next week I'll be snagging it.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

seat chafe posted:

Is anyone here familiar with power attenuators? I want to crank my 100W head without using a cab, and record via a line-out interface.

I might go with the Weber Mass 200 instead of the THD Hot Plate. It looks like a better buy.

I have a 16ohm Hot Plate that I've used with my 50 watt JCM800 2204 and paired with two Marshall 4x12s - one had Greenbacks, one had G12T-75s - and even at the maximum attenuation level it was still pretty goddamn loud even with just one of the cabinets.

I haven't messed with the line out function but if I were to I'd probably incorporate a Palmer DI speaker simulator. If it's good enough for Geddy Lee and Lifeson it's good enough for me =)

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/dzindex.htm

Just stumbled across this while reading about choke input power supplies. :aaaaa:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Bass amp question: is a Fender Rumble 75 combo amp worth it? This is for a home practice amp where I can actually get a bit loud if I want and not bother any neighbors. Also potentially for playing in informal settings, I guess, if I get comfortable enough and if my in-laws decide to actually break out their guitars instead of ukuleles... but mostly just for home use right now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I have a rumble 150 head and it's ungodly loud.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Francostein posted:

Ha, forgot about that little guy. It's about the price of a mini recto so I'll consider it. I was also looking at the jim root terror from orange (or just the regular dark terror) but I'm such a picky little sperglord that I'm still not really sold on anything.

I actually got the EVH 5150 III 50 watt head to replace my Mesa mini recto. I really love the sound of the EVH 5150. The amp sounds amazing cranked about a third and the resonance knob gives you a really nice, smooth low-end.

The lead guitar sounds that come out of it really shine compared to the Mesa, though the Mesa is a lot more versatile. I'm actually selling the Mesa if you're interested.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kerpal posted:

I actually got the EVH 5150 III 50 watt head to replace my Mesa mini recto. I really love the sound of the EVH 5150. The amp sounds amazing cranked about a third and the resonance knob gives you a really nice, smooth low-end.

The lead guitar sounds that come out of it really shine compared to the Mesa, though the Mesa is a lot more versatile. I'm actually selling the Mesa if you're interested.

Ha I'll pass on that offer, I'm too stingy at the moment to buy a new amp. My little egnater 15w tweaker is nice enough right now and I for sure cant handle anything louder at the moment. I was mainly just starting up the sperg engine for when I can afford/output a medium powered amp without pissing off neighbors.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Handen posted:

Anybody have any experience with old '50s/'60s Bogen PA amps repurposed as guitar amps? There's a Bogen Challenger CHA 33 for $250 at a shop in town plugged into a 4x12 that I played a few nights ago, and the thing hauls rear end. I dialed in a better stoner rock tone on that thing than I can get out of any amp I have currently. $250 is in the high range of what they seem to go for, so I'm just curious if anyone's familiar with them and what they think of them.

Looks like this:

It's not tube powered but I've been using a solid state Bogen Challenger I picked up at a goodwill as one of my main amps for years now. I drive the front end with a DIY LPB-1 and it gets the job done.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right
I have an amp question and I feel like this is probably the place to ask it. I apologize for not knowing a lot.

So Alkaline Trio just played a session for Guitar Center, and while I was watching it I noticed Matt Skiba has two Fender combos sitting on top of his two Orange speaker cabs. One of the cabs was mic'ed, and one of the combos was mic'ed. My question is twofold:

One, what's the advantage of this sort of rig? (If there's any aside from the obvious "he likes the way Orange cabs sound" and "He's sponsored by Fender".)

Two, are the combos actually outputting sound at that point? I thought if they were rigged like that, they're just acting as a head and the cabs output the sound?

(Image to show the rig in question:)

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Who knows if they're even plugged in. It's essentially a commercial, being at a guitar center and all.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

There are tons of dudes who gig with fake rigs. Assuming that's not the case, he could have one of the combos running as a combo, and the other combo acting as a head feeding one or both of the orange cabs.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Iucounu posted:

There are tons of dudes who gig with fake rigs.

how dare you :colbert:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Ain't no shame, though really at this point everyone knows they're fake cabs. It'd be easier and cheaper to just build some backdrops if you need the visual.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
My Legends had a lil' babby. ;-*

Picked up the Yamaha G5 for $75 from the same place that has the Bogen.

EDIT: :siren::siren::siren: HOLY poo poo IT'S MY 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF BECOMING GOON :siren::siren::siren:
:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 29, 2013

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Quick question: trying to find a channel footswitch for my Sunn Beta Lead, and there are a couple of clones on eBay/elsewhere that are expensive as hell. Is there any alternative that will work the same that just isn't branded as being for Sunn?

edit: if it helps, the switches switch between either channel and both channels, and some of them apparently have reverb switching too. I'd honestly be fine with something that would just switch between channel A/channel B.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 30, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was at some flea market music shop today and I heard an amazing tone from a cheap ibanez amp. I've realized that instead of upgrading from the 60 watt XXX combo amp I have to a bigger "better" setup I should downgrade to the best practice amp out there for me. I never crank it past bedroom levels so I'm getting a weak tone regardless of any other factors. Am I wrong or this a smart idea? What are the best low wattage amps around at the moment? Are any of the mini stacks around truly worth it for the expandable sound projection? Questions?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was at some flea market music shop today and I heard an amazing tone from a cheap ibanez amp. I've realized that instead of upgrading from the 60 watt XXX combo amp I have to a bigger "better" setup I should downgrade to the best practice amp out there for me. I never crank it past bedroom levels so I'm getting a weak tone regardless of any other factors. Am I wrong or this a smart idea? What are the best low wattage amps around at the moment? Are any of the mini stacks around truly worth it for the expandable sound projection? Questions?

Egnater Tweaker sounds great at lower volume.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Most lower wattage stuff sounds great at lower volumes, naturally. You might also look into getting an attenuator for your XXX.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

There's really the smaller low wattage amps that are built for gain, and the smaller low wattage amps that are built for some semblance of (often tweed) tone.

Depending on what you're after there are a lot of ways to go.

I personally love the Traynor Dark Horse 15 with an Orange 1x12 sealed back cab for overdriven clean tones. It also makes a good platform for effects.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Ain't no shame, though really at this point everyone knows they're fake cabs. It'd be easier and cheaper to just build some backdrops if you need the visual.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask: who is that?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Immortal, I think.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Yeah, that looks like Abbath.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Guys, somebody locally is selling a Sovtek MIG 50H midget head. Is it any good? How much is it worth?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

$400-600, approximately.

Bassman/plexi-ish, but as to whether its good, I'd say if its a sound you like, it's good for you.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Iucounu posted:

Egnater Tweaker sounds great at lower volume.

This, seriously. I don't own one, but a friend of mine does, and I am so goddamned jealous of it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FlossMan posted:

This, seriously. I don't own one, but a friend of mine does, and I am so goddamned jealous of it.

I have the 15w one and it's a little pricey for what it is. My only issues with the 15w tweaker is that it's only single channel so quickly changing from clean to dirty is a little tough and it doesn't have reverb. It's a great sounding amp for everything though. I hear the 40w version fixed all my gripes with it but it's a little louder, and on the Brit setting the 15w can loving scream. Honestly I love the little guy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A Tweaker definitely sounds like a direction I'd like to experiment In. What's with some people complaining about the clean tone? It sounds fine from what I've heard so it could be usual reviewer brainfarting.

They're well liked for handling pedals in front/in loop yeah?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

A Tweaker definitely sounds like a direction I'd like to experiment In. What's with some people complaining about the clean tone? It sounds fine from what I've heard so it could be usual reviewer brainfarting.

I owned one for a while. I thought the clean tone was fine. The only issue is limited headroom as you might expect from a low wattage amp. I used a Line 6 M9 for time-based delays in the loop (delay, reverb, etc) and it sounded brilliant.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I front load my whole board and it sounds great. I never could get effects to sound right in loops also too many wires) so I don't use the loop on the tweaker.

I could see the clean tone not being up to par when you get the volume past noon but at normal bedroom levels it's monk levels of clean.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Tweaker's clean tone can be great, if you're patient enough to fiddle with the settings. One of the things I love about the amp is that I can move from a sharp, surfy clean tone for my strat to a nice, warm jazzy tone for the hollowbody by flicking two switches.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vox-AC30-With-Alnico-Blues-/221252937080?hash=item3383b3e578

Does anything look wrong with this? I've been looking for an AC-30 with Blues for a while now. This comes at half the price of what I usually see. Have to admit I'm pretty suspect...

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 13, 2013

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Abel Wingnut posted:

This comes at half the price of what I usually see. Have to admit I'm pretty suspect...
These are $1250 new, in box, shipped. The $875 he is asking for is actually a fair price for used / minty clean. I get weirded out too when I see a fair price on ebay, so you are right to be suspicious.

Depends on whether the couple hundred bucks you would save would be worth the risk of having to deal with ebay's return / refund policies.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Send him an offer of $775 and see if he's willing to haggle. If not, the 875 isn't a bad price for it and it looks to be in decent condition. If you want it, go for it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Yeah, even without haggling that's not an 'omg scam' price for that rig.

I honestly don't get why an AC30 would ever exist WITHOUT Alnico Blues, but different strokes I guess.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I've got a Crate V32 Palomino with EL84s in it and I've decided to replace the stock speaker. I was wondering what some good options might be? I was thinking an Alnico Blue because, well, 30 watt EL84 makes me think Vox, but I don't honestly know all that much about speakers.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
A friend of mine put a Jensen MOD 12-50 in his Classic 30 and it had a Vox-ish tone to it, with more speaker breakup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Declan MacManus posted:

I've got a Crate V32 Palomino with EL84s in it and I've decided to replace the stock speaker. I was wondering what some good options might be? I was thinking an Alnico Blue because, well, 30 watt EL84 makes me think Vox, but I don't honestly know all that much about speakers.

1) Speakers are going to sound differently in different cabs, 2) Speakers have to be broken-in a bit so don't judge them fully right off the bat, 3) Speakers can dramatically alter the sound of your amp, so if I were you I'd try to find someone who you trust who knows a lot about this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPMiZeYMVo