Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Traps, specifically the two EX Traps, were hilariously overpowered in PSP2. There was a skill called Burst Bomber that increased trap damage, and the EX Traps which dealt area damage over time also contributed to the combo count. You could kill some bosses in seconds with traps alone. This, combined with the unholy Evasion modifier that Vanguards enjoyed, made them hands-down the best class.

Trap damage got fixed in PSP2Infinity, and all classes got some fixes to make them all better. Evasion was lowered a bit too, so Vanguards could actually take damage sometimes instead of just ignoring everything from the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Oh, if anyone is wondering how some of those crazy detailed Symbol Arts are made, I found this little thing.

I don't know how it works exactly, since I'm not at home- but the general gist seems to be it adds an overlay of an image you can trace the SA objects with.

Figure this out and a whole slew of frog and dog emotes will flow forth! :woop:

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My only real issue with the SA editor is I don't know how to select and edit a tiny piece without selecting something else in the background. The sub menus with move/rotate/etc don't seem to function in any capacity, and not being able to zoom in more than 200% is aggravating.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Umberger posted:

Traps were poo poo in PSO
You fuckin' take that back. Traps were lifesavers in Ultimate difficulty. :mad:

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual
http://youtu.be/VpFHaZZ39uM
I made a tutorial video for the lilipa TACO. I plan on making more but I wanted to get the hardest one done first. Hopefully this can help alleviate some of the learning curve to these.

edit: thanks to Dawnfire and Kirbysuperstar for recording the footage. These would not be possible without them.

Herb Stencil fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 27, 2013

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Confuse traps were a godsend when you were soloing, in PSO and PSU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

MR. J posted:

You fuckin' take that back. Traps were lifesavers in Ultimate difficulty. :mad:

Yeah but let's be honest. CC was too necessary in Ultimate. Especially solo.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Herb Stencil posted:

http://youtu.be/VpFHaZZ39uM
I made a tutorial video for the lilipa TACO. I plan on making more but I wanted to get the hardest one done first. Hopefully this can help alleviate some of the learning curve to these.

edit: thanks to Dawnfire and Kirbysuperstar for recording the footage. These would not be possible without them.

There's actually a faster way to do it that came in a patch in April. Split into two groups at the second robot factory: one heads north to activate the switch and kill the enemies that spawn in C4, the second heads south and around to B4. Once the enemies around the north switch are killed, entering B4 causes the white laser fences to disappear, so that you can immediately progress north to the next robot factory without fighting any more enemies. The south group can just take the ramp down off the wall to C4 and meet up with the north group.

In area two, you don't have to kill any enemies unless there's a red laser fence blocking you, so on the eastern route heading to the green switch, you only have to kill the Spardans/guns and Signo Beats at the corner and the Gilnas and Gilnatch near the switch. You can also ignore all of the switches that reverse the conveyor belts and deactivate traps/purple fences if you're good at dodging or just have really high DPS. If you do trip a trap, killing the spardans and Gilnatches will cause the red fence to disappear, anything else that was already there can be safely ignored.

In the boss arena, you can avoid any trash spawning in if you don't go beyond the four squares with the big circles in them on the floor.

The saving in time is not really a big issue (depending on how fast you can kill the mandatory enemies), but there's a lot less fiddly stuff to deal with. A lot of people don't know about the new route, since the changes were never explained officially. The shortcuts for Nabelius and Amaduscia are much more straightforward.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Added some of the screenshots to the OP, and put a few more into a general screenshot section. Keep it up! I only used stuff posted in the thread because I am not on my main computer right now, but later when I get back I'll put a few more in that were posted in IRC the other day.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Burning Rangers mission is great and you should play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICaS9dewPJc

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I dig the Tanabata Lobby music, it suits the atmosphere really well.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

There were no EQ's last night. I was eagerly awaiting them!

I should check the twitter bot more often...

I'm in this weird dry spot before AQs, so its' EQ's, doing more work on the matter board, and my dailies. There's TACOs, too, but I seem to miss when people do them.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-july-2013-tidbits/

Biggest thing here is that it explains how subclass EXP will work. A subclass will earn 10% exp, but once the subclass is level 40 it stops gaining any exp.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

NextTime000 posted:

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-july-2013-tidbits/

Biggest thing here is that it explains how subclass EXP will work. A subclass will earn 10% exp, but once the subclass is level 40 it stops gaining any exp.

seems good enough to me. Getting even 30k xp per falz run seems to be a lot faster than playing low level classes as the main class.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

nerdz posted:

seems good enough to me. Getting even 30k xp per falz run seems to be a lot faster than playing low level classes as the main class.

Pretty much. Would I like it to be more? Sure! But this is plenty fair, I think.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, I'm totally cool with that. It'll make it much easier to get through the first 20 levels or so where any CO that gives a decent amount of XP gets a heavy level penalty. Of course, I just got all classes up to at least 30 this week grinding the bingo card, but at least I can do it for Braver.

The free partner thing seems like a decent opportunity to troll strangers with irritating autowords.

I've already cleared all the matter boards, that was a total pain in the rear end.

Actually, speaking of bingo, the only rewards left to earn are the Puyo Puyo mag device, weapon upgrade chance, and affix combine chance. So in the week before Ep. 2 hits, it'll be double rare enemy spawn rate, rare drop chance, XP, and meseta at the very minimum. Gonna be really cool.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

kirbysuperstar posted:

clip clop clop clip clop

Had fun playing for the first time tonight. This game brings me back.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Burning rangers is both the best and the worst, because the music is so awesome but it's stuck in my head all day at work.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

waah posted:

Burning rangers is both the best and the worst, because the music is so awesome but it's stuck in my head all day at work.
so what's the drawback, I am not seeing one here :colbert:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

NextTime000 posted:

so what's the drawback, I am not seeing one here :colbert:

You may have a point. Now if they bring back escape from the city I am stabbing someone.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Just do it. Just Burning Rangerrrrrrrrrs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Note to anyone, don't delete your patchlist.txt, either accidentally or intentionally, because then you cannot patch, and you also can't run PSO2, and have to uninstall and reinstall PSO2.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

waah posted:

You may have a point. Now if they bring back escape from the city I am stabbing someone.

We have music discs for that. :getin:

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

Note to anyone, don't delete your patchlist.txt, either accidentally or intentionally, because then you cannot patch, and you also can't run PSO2, and have to uninstall and reinstall PSO2.
Or you could ask someone to upload a copy! Honestly, I'm just guessing here, but you might even be able to fix it by putting a dummy text file with the same name in the directory.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Well, gently caress. Today I installed the Windows 8.1 preview and now my computer blows up whenever Game Guard starts to run. I know I'm probably out of luck but is there anything I could possibly do? I've already tried a fresh install. I was about to have time to actually play some PSO and now I'm probably stuck until some Windows update months down the line fixes whatever compatibility issue there is.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Fawf posted:

Well, gently caress. Today I installed the Windows 8.1 preview and now my computer blows up whenever Game Guard starts to run. I know I'm probably out of luck but is there anything I could possibly do? I've already tried a fresh install. I was about to have time to actually play some PSO and now I'm probably stuck until some Windows update months down the line fixes whatever compatibility issue there is.

GameGuard is a picky little princess and often deems your game unplayable for whatever reason. You can delete the GameGuard folder and GameGuard.des in the PSO2 install and force it to redownload itself, which sometimes gives it the kick it needs to wisen up and let you through. Though, playing with an experimental OS update that it most likely doesn't actually support doesn't really do you any favors.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

From what I've seen around, you'll have to wait on if and when Gameguard updates to support 8.1, which they may not until RTM because it's loving Gameguard.

That being said, you can't go from the preview to RTM with 8.1 from what I've heard, so you shouldn't be running it as your main, 'production' OS anyway.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I've had Gameguard kill my Japanese text input IME and Windows Desktop Manager during play. It's such a terrible piece of poo poo that it amazes me they're actually able to sell it to developers.

Anyway, upgraded from a Lambda Ridultib to Akst Plosion yesterday, and goddamn. Jumped up nearly 200 points of R-ATK.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Oh well, thanks anyway. At least I logged in to snag some koi fish and an Eggman mask before this went down.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry, Fawf, I wish I had an actual solution for you.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

You could try running it on a virtual machine that boots in Win7. I haven't actually tried doing this myself, since I'm fine with Win7 for the time being, so I have no idea if it would work.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
I just started playing this as a cast, as I always do for these games, and was disappointed with the initial head options. Is there any way other than the AC scratches to unlock new head parts? I have seen some body parts on player shops but can't seem to look for heads.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Riolith posted:

I just started playing this as a cast, as I always do for these games, and was disappointed with the initial head options. Is there any way other than the AC scratches to unlock new head parts? I have seen some body parts on player shops but can't seem to look for heads.

Getting new head parts requires tickets, not costumes.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Thanks for the quick reply. I assume this is under Consumables> Tickets? Is the name of the unlock ticket different than the Japanese name in that list or is it rare to find them in player shops? I can't seem to find any by pasting the name from the list into the search field.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You just plug the Japanese name into the first search bar, don't bother with any of the drop down menus.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The search bar also can search for a partial match, which is useful for stuff that comes in multiple colors or varieties (eg; elemental mods). The last character will indicate the color, for example, アキラルプカ影 is Akira from Virtua Fighter's gi in black, while アキラレプカ夜 is midnight blue.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
In case anyone is wondering, 'repuka' is 'Replica'. You see it at the end of costumes based on character outfits from PSO or other collab.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dawnfire, Mewnie, Lunimeow and myself got abducted when we went to do the Nab II VH taco today. But this time we actually made it all the way through and beat our clones/Hunar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kidi0bDDHSk

e: I should also mention we got like three PSE Bursts during the abduction, which was totally anti-cool.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 30, 2013

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

:signings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
OK thanks for all the help everyone, I have finally gotten some hits on the search results. I am going to need a lot more meseta.

• Locked thread