Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
I've tended toward bulletproof inks for everyday writing because I have a terrible tendency to knock over liquids (water, coffee, tea, beer) while I'm working, and to do it over the most important papers/work notes on my desk currently. Oops.

On another note, there's a kickstarter for a fountain pen running right now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730727524/visionnaire-fine-writing-instruments-0?ref=live

Does it look good/interesting enough for an investment? It's got an iridium nib, but it's unclear (to my untrained eye) if the rest of the pen is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

saphron posted:

I've tended toward bulletproof inks for everyday writing because I have a terrible tendency to knock over liquids (water, coffee, tea, beer) while I'm working, and to do it over the most important papers/work notes on my desk currently. Oops.

On another note, there's a kickstarter for a fountain pen running right now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730727524/visionnaire-fine-writing-instruments-0?ref=live

Does it look good/interesting enough for an investment? It's got an iridium nib, but it's unclear (to my untrained eye) if the rest of the pen is solid.

For $37 I'm in. It looks decent enough and I've been sorta wanting to get a chrome pen like that.

Edit: Great, now I've searched 'fountain pens' on Kickstarter and I'm trying to not buy one of these stone cut pens.

Edit2: Screw it, it's my birthday next month when that last one is funded and a pen in banded malachite looks awesome.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 28, 2013

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

saphron posted:

I do the same, which is why I tend towards the bulletproofs. But another factor is that you get a ton of ink for the price: I've had this bottle of Red-Black for nearly five years, and it's not even 1/4 empty, although my two bottles of Poussiere de Lune are (in total) maybe half-gone.

Anyway, I can't help but notice that I can just pull off the converter on my Ahab. I don't know which threads are hosed: the ones on the converter, or the ones on the section; I rather suspect it's a combination. Am I just screwed on this? If I am, I guess I'll be hitting up the nearest NAPA or whatever for some silicon grease to make it an eyedropper: thank god I got Goulet's ink-mixing kit. The idea of pouring ink into a pen's barrel from the bottle is just horrific.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
It looks pretty decent. I wouldn't be opposed to possibly getting one after the full production line comes out and people have had a chance to actually use them and evaluate them (and they turn out to be good). Dropping $40~ on a pen that I know nothing about and that has no user reviews doesn't sit well with my budget, personally, but I'm poor.

I'm not a huge fan of how they're presenting the pen as being some huge bargain by comparing it only to Parkers and Mont Blancs. It seems a bit misdirecting that they aren't comparing their pen to others in the same range, and using price comparisons as their main marketing strategy instead. I mean, just a quick look at Goulet shows that they carry over 200 fountain pens (including different colors/nibs) that cost the same or less than the Visionnaire, so it's not like they don't already exist.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Zenostein, why do you need to pop the converter off to fill? I almost always fill with a converter just by dipping the nib in the ink and drawing it up through the pen's mechanism. Have I been doing it wrong?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

I hate to be "that person," but did you clean the pen before you tried it out? I also generally try to give a new pen a whole week to see if it has any little quirks about it or how to hold it properly. I hold my Vista a different way from my Metro a different way from my TWSBI. If you cleaned it and gave it a decent trial, then I hope the new nib works out for you!

Yeah, cleaned, tried several inks, adjusted my hand positioning etc., still leaves too much ink on the paper and runs the lines too close together. I think the nib's just not cut out for my handwriting and sizing down is needed to fix it - I've ordered another one with a fine nib. If that works ok, I'll return the broad for a refund (thanks, distance selling laws!). If it doesn't, both pens go back.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Arcturas posted:

Zenostein, why do you need to pop the converter off to fill? I almost always fill with a converter just by dipping the nib in the ink and drawing it up through the pen's mechanism. Have I been doing it wrong?

No, I mean if I touch the converter/spin it a bit to ensure it's tightly on, it falls off. I only noticed because the drat thing was vomiting ink in the cap, and I wanted to see how much ink was left in the converter. I fill it normally. I'm pretty sure the threads on one of the mounting surfaces is dead, since I found ink on the outside of the converter in the barrel when I went to check the ink level.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

DurianGray posted:

It looks pretty decent. I wouldn't be opposed to possibly getting one after the full production line comes out and people have had a chance to actually use them and evaluate them (and they turn out to be good). Dropping $40~ on a pen that I know nothing about and that has no user reviews doesn't sit well with my budget, personally, but I'm poor.

I'm not a huge fan of how they're presenting the pen as being some huge bargain by comparing it only to Parkers and Mont Blancs. It seems a bit misdirecting that they aren't comparing their pen to others in the same range, and using price comparisons as their main marketing strategy instead. I mean, just a quick look at Goulet shows that they carry over 200 fountain pens (including different colors/nibs) that cost the same or less than the Visionnaire, so it's not like they don't already exist.

I think they're comparing it to Parker and Mont Blanc because they're claiming to be using the same manufacturer that they use. I'll be sure to let you guys know how they are whenever I get those pens.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Brightman posted:

I think they're comparing it to Parker and Mont Blanc because they're claiming to be using the same manufacturer that they use. I'll be sure to let you guys know how they are whenever I get those pens.

Ah, I reread the kickstarter and they do mention that "We were able to partner and work with the best manufacturer in the industry. Our manufacturer have spent the past 25 years perfecting fine writing instruments for industry leaders like Parker and MontBlanc."

Sort of strange to me that they don't say who exactly that manufacturer is, and from what little information I can scrape up off Google it sounds like MB and Parker might have different manufacturers? And their claim that a single bottle of ink can last a person for 10 years sounds weird to me.

I'm probably just being overly skeptical though. I'll withhold further judgments until someone gets their hands on one of the pens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

For $37 I'm in. It looks decent enough and I've been sorta wanting to get a chrome pen like that.

Edit: Great, now I've searched 'fountain pens' on Kickstarter and I'm trying to not buy one of these stone cut pens.

Edit2: Screw it, it's my birthday next month when that last one is funded and a pen in banded malachite looks awesome.

Screw you for telling us all about the existence of stone pens.

Is it just me, or when you see a larger pen like the Majestic does anyone else get disappointed when they find out it isn't a piston-filler? It always feels like a waste to me to see even the Sailor King of Pens with only a converter.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

DurianGray posted:

Ah, I reread the kickstarter and they do mention that "We were able to partner and work with the best manufacturer in the industry. Our manufacturer have spent the past 25 years perfecting fine writing instruments for industry leaders like Parker and MontBlanc."

Sort of strange to me that they don't say who exactly that manufacturer is, and from what little information I can scrape up off Google it sounds like MB and Parker might have different manufacturers? And their claim that a single bottle of ink can last a person for 10 years sounds weird to me.

I'm probably just being overly skeptical though. I'll withhold further judgments until someone gets their hands on one of the pens.

Maybe they meant one of those pint/half litre refill bottles? :haw:

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Luisfe posted:

Aw man, I accidentally dropped my favorite pen, and now the nib is bent to all poo poo. God drat it.

Fortunately, it was the cheapest pen I've got (The Universal Stylo Neon). Unfortunately, I can't find another one of those anymore :(

Oh well. Maybe I can fix the nib later on but god drat.

Tangential to your issue-

So, back in the day I knocked my Ahab off my desk while refilling it and gave the nib a nice new 90 degree angle in it. I didn't try writing with it then, but I'm sure it would have been entertaining. I tried bending it back into the right shape with some fine nosed pliers, because what the heck? It was useless now, and professional repairs would definitely exceed the cost of the pen. Heck, a even a new nib would exceed the cost of the pen.

That didn't work out too well. I got it relatively straight again, but it didn't feel too good. It was a lot more scratchy, and had some other slightly off aspect I couldn't figure out. I suspect that one tine ended up a little longer than the other. It sat in my drawer for awhile after that.

Then I saw someone else was grinding a nib with a wet stone, and I decided to give that a try, and it actually seems to have worked. It took a bit of work to get rid of that one 'burr' in the tip, at first to just get it to stop scratching at all, and then later to get it to stop scratching during particular strokes. The result is a Ahab with a bit broader tip than it started with (which is what I was going for) and a bit less flex than before, which is not ideal, but I do have a working pen again. I actually like it quite a lot, but that cuold be the IKEA effect of having made it work again myself.

I don't really have a guide of how to do it, other than it took a lot of gentle pen strokes in all directions, since I wanted to keep a round point. I also didn't use multiple grains of stone, since I only had the one wet stone sitting around, so I could probably get it smoother I guess. But just one stone did work.

Anyway, I guess the point is that when things look dark, you can always fidget with it and maybe something good will happen! :pseudo:

Edit:

Solkanar512 posted:

Is it just me, or when you see a larger pen like the Majestic does anyone else get disappointed when they find out it isn't a piston-filler? It always feels like a waste to me to see even the Sailor King of Pens with only a converter.

Maybe you should check out Etsy and look for some fine Wood Pens.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Solkanar512 posted:

Sorry about that, I got hit by the other kickstarter being posted and then thinking "what if there are more?". If I had the money I'd buy a bunch of different stone pens, but I guess I can do it later since the guy is setting up a online store for this with what looks like similar prices. Also he already replied to my message about what kind of pen, metal, and stone I wanted and said he'd put it in the queue and I'm beginning to think his delivery estimate of July isn't too far off.

Actually the person I'm more wondering about for this is RustedChrome, can he pass up a banded malachite pen? What about one made of jade? Or gaspeite? More green pens for the green pen god :getin:

I'm a bad person.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You're terrible, and I am debating pledging for a jade triton. I bet it'll look awesome posted :ohdear:...

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

loving hell why did you link those stone pens. I've wanted a lapis pen for ages and now I'm trying to justify buying one. Y'all are just a bunch of enablers.

:negative:

Also I've been looking at some calligraphy and really want to try it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a flexy pen that isn't one of those £5 calligraphy sets you can get?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

saphron posted:

That looks like a Bock nib for sure.

Honestly at $37 every single one of the parts used in the pen is going to be outclassed by a standard Pilot FP. A Pilot Metro costs $14.50 at Jetpens (http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Black-Plain-Body/pd/10177) and it's probably going to have better quality control and frankly a better nib than a entry-level Bock. You could even buy two and load them up with different inks at that price.

If you want to step up a little, the Prera is 49 bucks and is a very, very, very good pen at that price.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Kessel posted:

That looks like a Bock nib for sure.

Honestly at $37 every single one of the parts used in the pen is going to be outclassed by a standard Pilot FP. A Pilot Metro costs $14.50 at Jetpens (http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Black-Plain-Body/pd/10177) and it's probably going to have better quality control and frankly a better nib than a entry-level Bock. You could even buy two and load them up with different inks at that price.

If you want to step up a little, the Prera is 49 bucks and is a very, very, very good pen at that price.

"This pen was designed for the entrepreneur, for the...man who has no idea how to hold a pen???" (last picture)

I'm not sure what the draw of this pen is. It looks, well, like a regular old pen.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Brightman posted:

Actually the person I'm more wondering about for this is RustedChrome, can he pass up a banded malachite pen? What about one made of jade? Or gaspeite? More green pens for the green pen god :getin:

I'm a bad person.

I certainly looked closely at those. I like the stone idea, but the shape and chrome hardware really turn me away. Somehow it reminds me of bed rails from a cheesy Las Vegas love suite, not that I frequent such places. :D

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Platypus Farm posted:

"This pen was designed for the entrepreneur, for the...man who has no idea how to hold a pen???" (last picture)

I'm not sure what the draw of this pen is. It looks, well, like a regular old pen.

Here is an article from a pen manufacturer, the top half of which discusses "Iridium Point Germany" nibs: http://edisonpen.com/page.cfm/IPGnibs2

The gist of it is that the marking simply means the tipping material was purchased in Germany. The nib itself could have been manufactured elsewhere.

The likelihood is that, at a price point of 37 dollars (this is their early bird pricing; the actual price is 45 at wholesale and probably more at retail), the nib is either a very basic Jowo or Bock nib, or from one of the mass facilities in China. This isn't a bad thing. What is telling, though, is that the Kickstarter is that classic Kickstarter where someone talks about their vision and their design, using plenty of flowery words. This is clearly a design-driven Kickstarter where everything about the actual manufacturing of the pen has been contracted out and what they basically did was give the factory a 3DMAX model of their pen design and say, "hey, make this."

If you like the pen design, go ahead and get one. They will probably deliver a very basic and functional pen. But I really can't abide bullshit like

quote:

A bottle will last most people 10 years.

quote:

Q: Traditional fountain pens leak... Does the Visionnaire have the same problem?
A: The Visionnaire is designed with a polished round nib. It does not have any leaking issues. You can adjust the pressure of the ink output by twisting the ink cartridge inside. I personally keep it in my pocket everyday and it has never leaked.

Honest to god, we've had enough of this sort of Kickstarter. And if the actual price is 45 dollars, you can get a Pilot Prera, as I mentioned earlier, from Jetpens for 49 dollars. You'll be able to choose your nib width (unlike this pen which is M only), you'll get a Pilot #5 nib which is flat-out one of the best entry-level nibs in the market, and you'll get significantly better quality control and a phone number to call if your pen is somehow busted. And you'll get it in two days or however long shipping takes, instead of waiting till December.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 29, 2013

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Vitamins posted:

Also I've been looking at some calligraphy and really want to try it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a flexy pen that isn't one of those £5 calligraphy sets you can get?

What kind of calligraphy?
If you want to try out some italic styles, buy any art fountain pen. Lamy Joy (I think), Rotring Artpen (also available in 0.6mm in addition to the 1.1mm and 1.5mm italic nibs), whatever.
If you want to try Copperplate/Roundhand, Spencerian or another shaded script, a flexible dip pen nib is guaranteed to be affordable and better than most fountain pens including the majority of vintage flex nibs. Note that the dip pens recommended for Spencerian and Copperplate on calligraphy websites (Gillot 303 etc.) are not suitable for beginners: you will wreck them by pressing down/holding them at a wrong angle on the upstroke if you haven't used easier nibs before. My recommendation for a good intermediate nib would be Brause 54 EF or Brause 141 EF which are not perfect, but will do a reasonably good job without being frustrating (buy an entire box on ebay, they're not made anymore and the remaining stock at calligraphy shops is getting way too expensive). Among those nibs still being made, Brause Rosenfeder (Rose nib or something along those lines) is said to be a good, non-frustrating nib that's still being made and G-nibs for drawing mangas should work, too (and Gillot 303s are still made, too, but they're Gillot 303s). It's also very important to use decent paper - shaded scripts look like rear end if you use a nib that's broader than EF (unless you're writing letters 2 inches in height) and, without an iridium tip, the tines will catch easily on rough paper.
If you're looking for a fountain pen that is italic-ish, buy a TWSBI with a stub nib or just use an art fountain pen anyway. If you're looking for a fountain pen for everyday use that will flex decently, Pilot Custom 742/743 (I think) are available with the FA nib, which is actually flexible (as opposed to slightly soft like the Pilot Falcon pen). You might also try finding vintage pens (really old Watermans, Mabie Todd, ...), but restored pens are expensive and buying them on ebay means you'll probably have to buy multiple ones until you get one that flexes well and/or doesn't need maintenance.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

blowfish posted:

What kind of calligraphy?
If you want to try out some italic styles, buy any art fountain pen. Lamy Joy (I think), Rotring Artpen (also available in 0.6mm in addition to the 1.1mm and 1.5mm italic nibs), whatever.
If you want to try Copperplate/Roundhand, Spencerian or another shaded script, a flexible dip pen nib is guaranteed to be affordable and better than most fountain pens including the majority of vintage flex nibs. Note that the dip pens recommended for Spencerian and Copperplate on calligraphy websites (Gillot 303 etc.) are not suitable for beginners: you will wreck them by pressing down/holding them at a wrong angle on the upstroke if you haven't used easier nibs before. My recommendation for a good intermediate nib would be Brause 54 EF or Brause 141 EF which are not perfect, but will do a reasonably good job without being frustrating (buy an entire box on ebay, they're not made anymore and the remaining stock at calligraphy shops is getting way too expensive). Among those nibs still being made, Brause Rosenfeder (Rose nib or something along those lines) is said to be a good, non-frustrating nib that's still being made and G-nibs for drawing mangas should work, too (and Gillot 303s are still made, too, but they're Gillot 303s). It's also very important to use decent paper - shaded scripts look like rear end if you use a nib that's broader than EF (unless you're writing letters 2 inches in height) and, without an iridium tip, the tines will catch easily on rough paper.
If you're looking for a fountain pen that is italic-ish, buy a TWSBI with a stub nib or just use an art fountain pen anyway. If you're looking for a fountain pen for everyday use that will flex decently, Pilot Custom 742/743 (I think) are available with the FA nib, which is actually flexible (as opposed to slightly soft like the Pilot Falcon pen). You might also try finding vintage pens (really old Watermans, Mabie Todd, ...), but restored pens are expensive and buying them on ebay means you'll probably have to buy multiple ones until you get one that flexes well and/or doesn't need maintenance.

I'm more interested in the Spencerian/Copperplate side of calligraphy over the stuff you get when using an italic nib. I've got a TWSBI with a 1.5mm italic, but with my handwriting it doesn't look that special in my opinion. That's great info about the dip nibs, I'll have a look into those. When looking on ebay I kept seeing boxes of dip nibs going for dirt cheap so I'll look through them and see if there's anything special.

Omas do some semi-flex nibs on some of their higher end pens which are absolutely fantastic, but I'd rather go the cheap way then spend $500 on an Omas 360 :v:

I've seen a few Watermans that people have bought that ended up having almost perfect full-flex nibs on them, but from what I hear that's mainly down to luck than any educated buying as it's apparently quite hard to find decent vintage flex fountain pens these days for whatever reason.

Back to ebay for me!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I have a Pilot 743 with an FA nib, and it's flex but it's not vintage flex (think of the former as the kind of nib that would make writing Chinese and Japanese characters quite pretty even if written small, and the latter as the kind of nib for full-on copperplate.)

Your best bet is definitely to camp eBay regularly until you find something.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

If you want a vintage flex fountain pen I'd recommend camping Greg Minuskin's blog. He tends to post pens with flex nibs 2+ times a week for prices $50-100. He's a well-respected watch and fountain pen repairer and his wife does Spencerian.

For learning Spencerian or Copperplate I'd recommend dip nibs, hands down. Also look at IAMPETH for some old copybooks that will teach copperplate/Spencerian/round hand.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
The arguments against the Visionnaire (and also me remembering that TWSBI is making a chrome pen) have convinced me to drop that pledge. This also helps me justify the stone pen a bit more.

RustedChrome posted:

I certainly looked closely at those. I like the stone idea, but the shape and chrome hardware really turn me away. Somehow it reminds me of bed rails from a cheesy Las Vegas love suite, not that I frequent such places. :D

Fair enough. It also looks like it's designed to let you screw the cap on to the end to post it, and I don't usually post, but we'll see how the balance works out. I really don't like the looks of the ballpoints and rollerballs at all, the grips are shaped oddly in my opinion.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

If you want a vintage flex fountain pen I'd recommend camping Greg Minuskin's blog. He tends to post pens with flex nibs 2+ times a week for prices $50-100. He's a well-respected watch and fountain pen repairer and his wife does Spencerian.

For learning Spencerian or Copperplate I'd recommend dip nibs, hands down. Also look at IAMPETH for some old copybooks that will teach copperplate/Spencerian/round hand.

Seconded on both counts. I tried fishing on ebay, with mixed results, and in all likelihood, you'll be spending $100-ish on ebay pens before finding something decent.

Also, if you practice on a decent dip pen, your flex fountain pen handwriting will improve while the other way round doesn't work as well (at least for me :v:). A decent (sharp point, but not overly scratchy or overly smooth) dip pen will keep your hand steady while a tipped fountain pen nib won't.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Those stone pens look like kit fountain pens to me, but I'm on my phone so I can't watch the video to see whether he mentions/admits the kit- or non-kit status.

If they're kit pens, you could probably find someone selling similar on Etsy and get it delivered next week, though wood bodies are more popular for kit pens because wood is easier to work than stone.

I don't like kit pens because they're usually too heavy for me and with the cheaper kits, the stock nibs aren't great. The more expensive kits have OK nibs and you could always buy a JoWo/Bock nib or a Goulet nib and substitute!

Ignore the above if they're not kit pens.

In other news, today is my birthday and I want to buy myself a gift. Options for a $100-$150 fountain pen? I prefer vintage pens and my collection has an emphasis on British and flex (I have 6 or 7 Mabie Todds, 3 Conway Stewarts and 4 Watermans) and I already have a Namiki Falcon.

Are the modern Conway Stewarts worth a look? I know they bought the name.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I should probably say that while fully chrome pens can look snazzy, they are also hella slippery.

I have a very early Pilot MYU 701. It's absolutely a collector's pen now and beautiful to look at, but god help you if you have a decent-sized hand and try to write with it. The slipperiness of the steel only exacerbates the small size.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

In other news, today is my birthday and I want to buy myself a gift. Options for a $100-$150 fountain pen? I prefer vintage pens and my collection has an emphasis on British and flex (I have 6 or 7 Mabie Todds, 3 Conway Stewarts and 4 Watermans) and I already have a Namiki Falcon.

Are the modern Conway Stewarts worth a look? I know they bought the name.

The modern CS pens are not particularly flexible, though I'd totally buy them for their looks (same for modern Onotos, for that matter). One review comparing a CS Churchill to a Montblanc 149 called the latter nib more flexible (less inflexible :v:), so an EF Lamy 2000 would probably produce better line variation :shobon:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Oh! No way would I be buying a modern pen and looking for flex (Falcon and related speciality nibs excepted). Modern nibs can be springy and some can provide variation but in my personal book it's not the same as proper flex.

I just mentioned my Falcon since I figured otherwise someone would recommend it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Oh! No way would I be buying a modern pen and looking for flex (Falcon and related speciality nibs excepted). Modern nibs can be springy and some can provide variation but in my personal book it's not the same as proper flex.

I just mentioned my Falcon since I figured otherwise someone would recommend it.

Actually this brings up a question I've had and been too overwhelmed by the vintage boards to figure out. What ARE good vintage makes to look for if you're wanting a nice, flexible nib? I make a quarterly sweep of all the antique stores around here and pick up anything that looks halfway decent, usually doing some minor rehab to get them working again, but the vast majority of what comes through my hands is stuff you'd expect - Parkers, Sheaffers, and the like. None of them exhibit even the slightest bit of flex.

As you say, I've got a Falcon, which is a great pen, but it doesn't FLEX, it just kind of pushes backwards and makes a fatter line, and I'd like something that can give me a really neat line variation.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

Actually this brings up a question I've had and been too overwhelmed by the vintage boards to figure out. What ARE good vintage makes to look for if you're wanting a nice, flexible nib? I make a quarterly sweep of all the antique stores around here and pick up anything that looks halfway decent, usually doing some minor rehab to get them working again, but the vast majority of what comes through my hands is stuff you'd expect - Parkers, Sheaffers, and the like. None of them exhibit even the slightest bit of flex.

As you say, I've got a Falcon, which is a great pen, but it doesn't FLEX, it just kind of pushes backwards and makes a fatter line, and I'd like something that can give me a really neat line variation.

Ok, as far as I know...
Parker rarely flex.
Sheaffer almost never flex (and if they do, they're expensive as gently caress because collectors).
Conway Stewart may or may not flex, I'm not sure how common flex CS nibs are.
Mabie Todd are often flexible (but not always!), they're one of the go-to brands I've seen recommended as easy-to-get flex pens
Old Watermans are often flexible.
Old Onotos tend to be flexible, too.
Apparently, old German pens tended to have semi-flex nibs at least in some cases.

In general, eye dropper pens and lever filler pens are most likely to be flexible (Mabie Todd "leverless" are just fancy lever fillers). Anything made after 1950-ish (I think) is less likely to be flexible.

However, you might actually find really ancient nibs that do the the same thing as the Falcon :v: I have a Swan 1500 eye dropper pen with a very long tined nib that feels like a stiff paint brush...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Well I took a closer look at my dadpen and the cap says its a Parker Sonnet V.1, whatever that means :ms:. Can anyone tell me more about this pen? Google seems to be giving me a history lesson instead.

Also mom managed to dig up some more of my dad's old pens, this is probably something from China

The cap has a flat gold disc with WF288 stamped on it. My mom is convinced its a gold nibbed pen but I don't really think so. Sorry about the picture quality, I'm doing my best with an iphone4 and shaky hands.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So has there been any word on the all metal TWSBI Diamond 850? I even remember Goulet Pens saying that it was coming out early this year, but not a word since.

ETA: Someone else asked about it and apparently they're being plated in platinum and are still being actively tested. Awesome! :D

And since I'm such a god drat fanboy, a few pics posted in the last day or so:

That red one is next on my list if the 850 doesn't come anytime soon. drat.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 3, 2013

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
Anyone use a Namiki falcon? Using iroshizuku ink in it leaves a very nice line, but using the sailor nanocarbon black in it seems to make it a really dry pen. Any suggestions for a bulletproof ink that works well in this thing?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thelonious Monk posted:

Anyone use a Namiki falcon? Using iroshizuku ink in it leaves a very nice line, but using the sailor nanocarbon black in it seems to make it a really dry pen. Any suggestions for a bulletproof ink that works well in this thing?

I believe that Noodler's Black Eel is bulletproof. The lubrication should help with the flow.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Thelonious Monk posted:

Heart of Darkness is very nice in mine.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I would steer clear of "bulletproof" inks in pens. HoD works but you have to use ammonia to rid the pen of residual ink every month or so or else it will cause flow issues.

In fact, having just had to go through this, I'd not recommend any "bulletproof" ink for any expensive pen as I'm unsure of the longterm effects of using such inks.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 6, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Xovaan posted:

I would steer clear of "bulletproof" inks in pens. HoD works but you have to use acetone to rid the pen of residual ink every month or so or else it will cause flow issues.

In fact, having just had to go through this, I'd not recommend any "bulletproof" ink for any expensive pen as I'm unsure of the longterm effects of using such inks.

I've used HoD and difficult inks like BSB and never had any issues like that. Why in the hell would you use acetone when at most you need a little ammonia in warm water?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thelonious Monk posted:

There have been reports of Noodler's bulletproofs melting the clear acrylic feeds in Pilots and Namikis, so I'd steer clear of Noodler's unless you're certain you're OK with that risk.

Personally I believe the best permanent ink is an iron-gall, but as far as I know, you won't get a deep black from any FP-suitable iron-gall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I've used HoD and difficult inks like BSB and never had any issues like that. Why in the hell would you use acetone when at most you need a little ammonia in warm water?

Meant to say ammonia. Oops. Sorry early morning delirium etc