Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghettomancer
Feb 23, 2010
I'm looking to buy an awesome television for $1000 give-or-take.

Last year, I went on a month long hunt to find a television. I ended up with some LG TV only to find out that my particular model was one of the few where you were unable to turn off TrueMotion.

I am very sensitive to that weird soap opera effect. I really don't care that much about image, I assume anything around $1000 will look good enough for me (I've been using a terrible monitor for years and will probably be blown away by anything modern).

After a lot of searching and asking around, I looked at this model: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50ST50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKW8
But apparently it makes an awful buzzing sound (is this all plasmas?).

Anyway, the room has two large windows in it, but I have some decent shades for them.
So, my needs are: no soap opera effect, 50-55 inches, 1080p, no extreme buzzing noises, $1000 give-or-take, looks okay in a lit room. Also, probably not plasma because I don't want to deal with running slides or anything like that.
Every time I search for one of these mythical TVs, I just find "50000 HZ 4 DIMENSIONS AND IT'S REALLY SMART WITH INTERNET AND TWEETER". How about a tv that doesn't buzz or make me seize?

Any recommendations?

Perhaps one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50F5500-50-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00BD8TOTG/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50EH5300-50-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0074FGLUM/

ghettomancer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I'm also in the market for a ~$1000 TV. Saw a lot praise being given to the Panasonic ST60(Wirecutter rates it as the best TV on the market right now) and everything about it seems great except for the reports about very high input lag. I'll be primarily using the TV for gaming and those stories about the input lag have me worried about buying one. I've read the ST50 has less lag, should I go with that model instead?

EDIT: What is the difference between the Panasonic S60 and the Panasonic S64? Is the S64 and updated version of the S60? I've only been able to find the S64 available for purchase on Costco's website. They have a 50" and 65" version.

50" S64: http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-TC-50PS64-50%22-Class-(49.9%22-Diag.)-1080p-Plasma-HDTV.product.100054209.html
65" S64: http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-65%22-1080p-Plasma-TV-TC-65PS64.product.100043008.html

Javes fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 27, 2013

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I own the 42" version of that Panasonic and absolutely love it.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

A quick update:

A friend of mine who is a hardcore fighting game player was able to confirm that the VIZIO E420i-A1 does indeed lag, but it was easily fixed by disabling all the graphic acceleration features.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Javes posted:

EDIT: What is the difference between the Panasonic S60 and the Panasonic S64? Is the S64 and updated version of the S60? I've only been able to find the S64 available for purchase on Costco's website. They have a 50" and 65" version.

50" S64: http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-TC-50PS64-50%22-Class-(49.9%22-Diag.)-1080p-Plasma-HDTV.product.100054209.html
65" S64: http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-65%22-1080p-Plasma-TV-TC-65PS64.product.100043008.html

There's no difference. It's a name change specifically to prevent customers from price matching.

"It's a different model. See here, where it says 'S64'? Yeah, we only have the S60. :shrug: I'm afraid I can't help you ma'am."

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 27, 2013

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Alright good to know. So as someone who won't use any TV's Smart features or 3D the S60 sure looks good to me. Anything I should know before buying one?

Javes fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 27, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Gotta love Amazons TV price match guarantee, ended up getting $30 back on the TV I bought two weeks ago.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hey guys, I'm hoping to get some help picking out a TV. This will be my first time ever actually owning a TV, so finding the best choice is becoming a little problematic. I'm looking for something in the 46-47" range, to be used mostly for video games (Steam Big Picture and maybe a console), Netflix, and probably some video files on my computer. It will be in a rather bright room with a lot of windows. I don't really care at all about 3D, but then it won't hurt if it's there either. Price isn't the biggest consideration since it will be a gift, but I'd like to at least stay on a mostly reasonable part of the value-for-money scale just to be respectful.

Going in I was expecting to get an LED, but I see a lot of plasmas dominating the reviews. But, input lag is certainly important in my case, and I'm guessing screen brightness is too. I'm also not sure how many of the popular plasmas are available in the 46-47" range. Do you guys have suggestions for where I should look or even specific models that are great if a little bit high-end?

Also, since I definitely want to use Steam Big Picture mode, what's the best way to go about doing that? The only machine that can run a lot of my games is my desktop, and I don't have an HTPC. Should I just connect the TV to my video card and use as a secondary monitor when playing Steam games, or is there something else I should be doing?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

For plasma size, there is literally nothing between 43 and 50 inches. Screen brightness is less of an issue for 2012 models; and especially with (some of) Samsung and Panasonic's 2013 lineup. I haven't checked any LG reviews yet. :effort: Image retention could be an issue, but PCs have screen-savers, so it shouldn't be a problem. And yeah, you could totally use it as a secondary monitor. Just switch the TV's input to the PC and bam. Games and movies ahoy.

Javes posted:

Alright good to know. So as someone who won't use any TV's Smart features or 3D the S60 sure looks good to me. Anything I should know before buying one?

Since it's a plasma, make sure you have air conditioning.
No, seriously. They don't get hot, but they do get very warm, and 50 inches is a large area for generating heat.
Get someone to help you stand it up. They're big, and that glass screen adds at least 15 more pounds over LCD.

Get a sound system. Hell, even a home stereo will provide better sound than flat panel TV speakers.

If you can hear a buzz over the volume of the admittedly lovely speakers, it's defective.
If you can only hear it with your head right next to the TV, or when the screen is bright white, and nothing else is making noise (especially if most of your walls have nothing to absorb sound), that's pretty much normal.

Buy BBC nature documentaries in Blu-Ray.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 28, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there anyway to find out for sure if my TV's optical output downgrades the audio from 5.1 to stereo? I keep seeing things line that say "most TVs", but I have no idea if this is still relevant.

Edit: Instruciton Manual lists it as "Toslink" if that matters.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 28, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TOSLINK & S/PDIF can do uncompressed lossless stereo, but not uncompressed lossless surround. Surround is compressed only.
It's one of the things HDMI was invented to address.

First and second paragraphs, respectively:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

If it doesn't have a logo of a surround decoding scheme (DTS, Dolby Digital, MP3 Surround, etc.) I guess it will probably do stereo only.
There may be a proprietary virtual surround in the TV's menu though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 28, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Astro7x posted:

Is there anyway to find out for sure if my TV's optical output downgrades the audio from 5.1 to stereo? I keep seeing things line that say "most TVs", but I have no idea if this is still relevant.

Edit: Instruciton Manual lists it as "Toslink" if that matters.

Only way is to test it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I know this isn't the sound system thread but maybe somebody can help me here...

I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma (http://www.sears.com/panasonic-42inch-class-1080p-600hz-plasma-smart-hdtv/p-05775142000P) with two HDMI, a TOSLINK, and some component in. It doesn't have plain RCA out so I'm not sure what to do here.

I have an older stereo receiver and two PolkAudio speakers that match it, but it doesn't have TOSLINK. Would it be worth it to get a TOSLINK to RCA converter or just cough up the extra $150 to get a soundbar? Sound really isn't THAT big of a deal to me and money is kind of short. The RCA converter looks like it would be about $15 shipped from Amazon. Has anyone ever used one before?

Additionally, how does TOSLINK work? I have a port on my PS3 and my TV. What would go to the receiver? Would the PS3 go to the TV via HDMI and then the TV out TOSLINK to the converter and then the converter to the receiver? Would that handle everything?

Thanks for the input!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I know this isn't the sound system thread but maybe somebody can help me here...

I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma (http://www.sears.com/panasonic-42inch-class-1080p-600hz-plasma-smart-hdtv/p-05775142000P) with two HDMI, a TOSLINK, and some component in. It doesn't have plain RCA out so I'm not sure what to do here.

You'll want a digital audio converter.
Example: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optic...S%2Fpdif+to+rca

quote:

Additionally, how does TOSLINK work? I have a port on my PS3 and my TV. What would go to the receiver? Would the PS3 go to the TV via HDMI and then the TV out TOSLINK to the converter and then the converter to the receiver? Would that handle everything?

Yeah, that's how I'd do it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2013

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mister Macys posted:

You'll want a digital audio converter.
Example: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optic...S%2Fpdif+to+rca

I guess maybe I wasn't clear. Will this give me OK sound quality?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I guess maybe I wasn't clear. Will this give me OK sound quality?

I can't stress enough; any form of amp/stereo/speaker combo will be better than what the TV comes with.
I'd take 70s components over what's in my TV right now, if the local thrifts had any audio equipment.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I want to upgrade our TV towards the end of the year here, we currently have a 42" plasma from Insignia that does pretty good but I'd love something slightly bigger and that is rated to 1080p (this was advertised at 720p but I can set devices like an xbox and the apple TV to 1080p and it seems to work). I don't want a smart TV since we use an Apple TV for content streaming and I don't really care about 3D, I just want a nice panel. I'd like to stick to plasma for the rich blacks and higher refresh rate.

I found these 2 models:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-50PN6500-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00BBAFUQC/ref=sr_1_4?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1372447192&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P50S60-50-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00ARAHBIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1372447476&sr=1-1

That seem reasonably priced and it seems like anything that costs more just adds the smart features and the like.

I'd also like to do a basic sound setup as well, is there another thread for that? I don't want to spend a ton, just something to upgrade from internal speakers in the TV.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Ouhei posted:

I want to upgrade our TV towards the end of the year here, we currently have a 42" plasma from Insignia that does pretty good but I'd love something slightly bigger and that is rated to 1080p (this was advertised at 720p but I can set devices like an xbox and the apple TV to 1080p and it seems to work).

Yeah I've always been confused about that. My TV is advertised as 720p but if I tell my Xbox to output 1080p, the 'info' button on my remote says 1920x1080. Is it really displaying at that resolution or what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rexim posted:

Yeah I've always been confused about that. My TV is advertised as 720p but if I tell my Xbox to output 1080p, the 'info' button on my remote says 1920x1080. Is it really displaying at that resolution or what?

No, but it can accept that resolution and downscale it to 720p. It still tells you what kind of signal it's receiving.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I was always under the impression the optical out on tvs was primarily for outputting the digital audio from the built in tv tuner. In most scenarios its better to go directly from the audio source, ie: cable box, ps3, dvd etc, to the audio receiver. A lot of HTIB, and soundbars actually have multiple HDMI, or stereo/optical -in for audio for this reason if you choose to not get a full featured receiver.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BrettRobb posted:

I was always under the impression the optical out on tvs was primarily for outputting the digital audio from the built in tv tuner. In most scenarios its better to go directly from the audio source, ie: cable box, ps3, dvd etc, to the audio receiver. A lot of HTIB, and soundbars actually have multiple HDMI, or stereo/optical -in for audio for this reason if you choose to not get a full featured receiver.

It is but some TVs will also pass 5.1dd and DTS through.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

For plasma size, there is literally nothing between 43 and 50 inches. Screen brightness is less of an issue for 2012 models; and especially with (some of) Samsung and Panasonic's 2013 lineup. I haven't checked any LG reviews yet. :effort: Image retention could be an issue, but PCs have screen-savers, so it shouldn't be a problem. And yeah, you could totally use it as a secondary monitor. Just switch the TV's input to the PC and bam. Games and movies ahoy.

I read a bunch more about the ST60 everyone is talking about, and it seems like the high input lag will be a dealbreaker for me. According to some other places, the S64 from Costco has the slightly worse picture quality and lower input lag of the S60, with the anti-reflective filter of the ST60. If I decide to move up to a 50", would that be the way to go? I can certainly spend more, but I don't know if there's a better option available.

The fiancee really wants to stick with 46-47", though. Since we'd have to get an LED, are there any really good options? I haven't seen any stellar reviews for anything that size besides the Samsung F8000, which is more than I'm comfortable asking for.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 30, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Seiki's trolling the big boys. This is great.

quote:

Seiki to Release Retro TVs
To boldly go where many TVs have gone before... decades ago.

If you know anything about a little-known company called Seiki, it's probably that it appeared out of nowhere and presented the North American market with 4K for under $2K. Down with gimmicks. Simplicity is supreme. Yet it was not the affordable 4K Seiki that grabbed my attention today. Juxtaposed comically in a sea of futuristic machines was the SE22FR01 Retro TV. Retro is in, that's old news—but it's still amusing to spot a television with actual knobs amid the frenzied 4K fanfare.

That is terribly cute. :3:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Canadian here. I'm on the market for a TV and since Future Shop announced a Canada Day sale I thought there'd be something interesting... Nope. Minute discounts on ridiculously oversized or undersized TVs. :effort:

So I'm going to take the time to look at different retailers, online mostly because local stores sadly cost way too much. Since the OP (written by a Canadian) has a bias on US retailers, which ones would be good to look at in Canada? Future Shop/Best Buy don't seem really cheap so far... Leaving Amazon (limited selection), Newegg (limited brands) and... Who else?

Fake edit: Disregard all that, Dell seems to have decent sales, though their basic prices are high to begin with. The thing is, in my target size of 47", they have three different LG TVs:

47CS570 for $500
47LS5600 for $600
47LM6400 for $850

The thing is, the reviews on these models are a really mixed bag. I'm only considering the 47CS570 because it's cheap (I'd rather have LED), and I'm only considering the 47LM6400 because it's 3D in my price point (I don't care enough about 3D to make that a deal breaker though). Though it's hard to find quantitative lag numbers for any of these, similar models seem to be in the 30ms range which is good enough for me.

The sale ends on July 4 so there isn't that big a rush, but in case stocks are limited I'd like to make a decision soon on which one to take (if any)... Any opinions/insight?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A US retailer bias? :confused:
Reading my OP, there's only two areas (in the FAQ) where I mention any retailers by name at all:

If I have a bias, it's large chains over independent retailers. Biggest problem with Canadian stores is the 10-30% price increase over US prices, even after the exchange rate.
Ones I checked online for almost a year, until I bought mine:
- Future Shop/Best Buy, 2001 Audio Video, Gibby's Electronic Superstore, Costco, Walmart, The Source :downs:.
Ones I deliberately ignore: Sears, The Bay, The Brick, Leon's, Zeller's, Amazon.ca :barf:.
Their "deals" are categorically inferior to the others.

In answer to your three choices, I watch a lot of movies, so I'd go for the 6400 with the 120Hz display. And LG's 3D and Smart UI has gotten positive reviews, which is good for cable cutters.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 1, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mister Macys posted:

A US retailer bias? :confused:
Reading my OP, there's only two areas (in the FAQ) where I mention any retailers by name at all:

Well, not really a bias considering all but one of the retailers are in both the US and Canada... It was mostly pertaining to the C/D regarding Fry's. The thing is, where Best Buy in the US has decent deals from time to time, it's pretty miserable in Canada, hence asking about Canadian specific reasonable pricing. But as you mention, it's mostly because of customs.

I didn't think to ask the obvious -- those ARE decent prices, right? I've only recently started looking so I don't have a general idea of what prices are yet... On the other hand it's pretty crazy how much pricing varies for a given TV size, even within the same brand. I'd rather not end up with the budget product if it's just for added 3D. Edit: Just looked up the meaning of the codes for LG in particular -- I take it then that 5000 is a fairly middle to low end grade if it's that cheap, and that the LM6400 is likely going to be better quality than the LS5600, regardless of 3D. What does it normally imply? Higher pixel density? Better contrast?

Jan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 1, 2013

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Macys posted:

Seiki's trolling the big boys. This is great.

That is terribly cute. :3:

This kind of stuff has been popping up a lot lately. I always wanted my appliances to look like a 57 thunderbird

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Red-Countertop-Microwave-Oven-Kitchen-College-Dorm-Home-Office-Cooker-/221077475083

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ ^ ^ - No lie, that red one would look great next to a Kitchenaid mixer.

The store deals thing is based mostly on anecdotes from the last thread. I know some goons got their TVs as a deal from Fry's, so I threw them in. I'd add UK stores too if I could, but I've only heard of GAME, and they don't do TVs.

LG's nomenclature is loosely similar to that of Samsung. Understandable, given that both of them are from South Korea. You have a 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 "series" televisions.
Six and higher is where you really start to see the feature set of their displays become all-inclusive (LED, Smart, 120Hz+, 3D, etc.); especially with their design aesthetics- sporting a narrow bezel and very thin depth. With the five series TVs and under, you'll start giving up features (number of ports, 3D, max viewing angle, 1080p, refresh rates above 60Hz mainly). Smart not so much. It's in almost everything this year. Finally, dollar for feature: LED is more expensive than any other display type. If you want it, you will pay a premium.

As for the prices, I couldn't find anything on the 6400 outside of Amazon(.com). Equivalent LG models at the $800 price point either don't have 3D, or are only 60Hz. but the 5600 for $600 seems par for the course. If you're dead-set on LED, I'd seriously suggest either a border crossing, Vizios, a store brand, or wait until Black Friday/Boxing Day.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 1, 2013

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

I am looking to pick up a new TV to replace my old 32" LCD. I am looking at LCD/LED because the TV faces 2 large windows which would make Plasma pretty bad with all the reflection. I haven't been able to find much that seemed a little pricey for what am getting. I do not care about Smart TVs or 3D. I just want a good panel for TV/Movie streamed through Netflix or XBMC, and gaming.

I noticed BB has a Canada Sale running and found this TV

Samsung 50" LED HDTV (UN50EH6000FXZC)

I couldn't find much review on it so I turn to this thread for any input. Should I pull the trigger or keep looking?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

As for the prices, I couldn't find anything on the 6400 outside of Amazon(.com). Equivalent LG models at the $800 price point either don't have 3D, or are only 60Hz. but the 5600 for $600 seems par for the course. If you're dead-set on LED, I'd seriously suggest either a border crossing, Vizios, a store brand, or wait until Black Friday/Boxing Day.

Ugh, that's a lot of trouble for fairly low potential savings. Even on eBay US, the LM6400 is no cheaper than $750... $100 is a reasonable markup for Canuckistan.

Though there's only one (negative) Cnet review on the LM6400 (and for comedy purposes, one "review", sponsored by Future Shop®), most of the user reviews seem pretty satisfied. Of course, user reviews are usually satisfied as long as the TV turns on and shows a picture... But yeah, I don't think I'd be any different.

Come to think of it, I'm used to my parents's plasma screen, Pioneer PRO-507PU, which is old enough to have nearly no data on the 'net... But unless I'm horribly mistaken, even with cost cutting measures the LM6400 should be equal or better to this old plasma. I'll think about it some more, but this looks like it'll be a good choice.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

GB_Sign posted:

I am looking to pick up a new TV to replace my old 32" LCD. I am looking at LCD/LED because the TV faces 2 large windows which would make Plasma pretty bad with all the reflection. I haven't been able to find much that seemed a little pricey for what am getting. I do not care about Smart TVs or 3D. I just want a good panel for TV/Movie streamed through Netflix or XBMC, and gaming.

I noticed BB has a Canada Sale running and found this TV

Samsung 50" LED HDTV (UN50EH6000FXZC)

I couldn't find much review on it so I turn to this thread for any input. Should I pull the trigger or keep looking?

A lot of the non-budget plasma TVs have the matte finish on their screens so they are non-reflective. You might even be able to save some dough. But this is coming from someone that doesn't know much about TVs so take from it what you will...

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BQ7ZQL4/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=3V2KDU7GYFJGT&coliid=I3FO4COVZIDDV4&vs=1

(I'm on my phone; I hope that link works)

Is there anything horribly wrong about this TV? The price is definitely right, and it's got 3 hdmi inputs, which I need. Plus I recognize toshiba.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jan posted:

I'll think about it some more, but this looks like it'll be a good choice.

Did I say "think"? I meant "impulse purchase", of course. Does it still qualify as impulse if you wait 24 hours before spending one grand?

Although with added GST and loving PST, it might've ended up cheaper to cross the border after all. Oh well, the price of convenience and a socialist province.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Javes posted:

I'm also in the market for a ~$1000 TV. Saw a lot praise being given to the Panasonic ST60(Wirecutter rates it as the best TV on the market right now) and everything about it seems great except for the reports about very high input lag. I'll be primarily using the TV for gaming and those stories about the input lag have me worried about buying one. I've read the ST50 has less lag, should I go with that model instead?

Mister Macys posted:

There's no difference. It's a name change specifically to prevent customers from price matching.

No, there is a difference. The S64 has a better anti-reflective filter over the screen so it isn't as reflective as the S60 models. From what I've read the S64 is a bit better than the S60 for this reason.

Should be no difference in image quality, it's the exact same panel as the S60.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Colour me surprised. I've read in other threads that name changing was a thing in the States, and that Costco and (sometimes) Walmart were the main ones; to keep price matching services from taking their business.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mister Macys posted:

Colour me surprised. I've read in other threads that name changing was a thing in the States, and that Costco and (sometimes) Walmart were the main ones; to keep price matching services from taking their business.

I dont think costco really does it as much as sams/walmart. Walmart does it with laptops too. All the hp/compaq walmart laptops end in WM and you can guarentee they are poo poo.

For tv's wallmart will get last years electronics in this years chassis.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm looking at this TV,
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Series-E470-A0-47-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00AF69AN2

which seems to be the same TV as this one,
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E470i-A0-47-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009LG6AWG/ref=pd_sim_e_6

only without the smart TV features and it's 60hz rather than 120 hz. I can't find the response lag for it anywhere, but judging by that site in the OP, I'm guessing it's either 42ms or somewhere in that ballpark when compared to the other TV.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this?

EDIT: \/\/ Awesome, thanks!

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 3, 2013

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm looking at this TV,
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Series-E470-A0-47-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00AF69AN2

which seems to be the same TV as this one,
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E470i-A0-47-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009LG6AWG/ref=pd_sim_e_6

only without the smart TV features and it's 60hz rather than 120 hz. I can't find the response lag for it anywhere, but judging by that site in the OP, I'm guessing it's either 42ms or somewhere in that ballpark when compared to the other TV.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this?

This review: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-e470i-a0.html seems to confirm that they are the same TVs:

quote:

This TV comes in two variants. The E470i has the Vizio Internet Apps while the E470 does not. Everything else about these TVs is the same.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I guess my only question now is whether the 42ms input lag will be an issue or not. I don't play a ton of fighting games but do play a lot of Wii u and ps3 games, so would this be a huge issue for gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Handsome Ralph posted:

I guess my only question now is whether the 42ms input lag will be an issue or not. I don't play a ton of fighting games but do play a lot of Wii u and ps3 games, so would this be a huge issue for gaming?

What do you have now? If you have a 42ms TV now you won't notice the difference. If you have something better I would continue my search.