Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
70D Spec list here: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/06/canon-eos-70d-spec-list/

Sounds pretty nice. Let's see the cost now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Bubbacub posted:

Don't know how reputable this place is (the ad appeared in my gmail sidebar), but this place is selling them for a bit over $2300:

http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42083&gclid=CMCLuY3zhLgCFQik4AodlUgAHg

Looks fishy to me. There are warranties to sell all over the site as well as their physical location no longer existing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

TheAngryDrunk posted:

70D Spec list here: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/06/canon-eos-70d-spec-list/

Sounds pretty nice. Let's see the cost now.

This is Canon we're talking about. I'm going to optimistically guess $1399, but won't be surprised if they make it closer to $1799, about where the 7D came out if I remember.

(With wifi, 19 cross-type, new processor, touch screen, it looks like a nice upgrade from a 60D. I'd definitely consider getting one if the price isn't too bad.)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bubbacub posted:

Don't know how reputable this place is (the ad appeared in my gmail sidebar), but this place is selling them for a bit over $2300:

http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42083&gclid=CMCLuY3zhLgCFQik4AodlUgAHg

5 seconds of googling brings up plenty of reviews about them selling grey market poo poo with no warrenty and/or not selling at the price they list unless you buy add-ons.

They're your usual lovely scam site.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
They are not reputable.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

BetterLekNextTime posted:

This is Canon we're talking about. I'm going to optimistically guess $1399, but won't be surprised if they make it closer to $1799, about where the 7D came out if I remember.

(With wifi, 19 cross-type, new processor, touch screen, it looks like a nice upgrade from a 60D. I'd definitely consider getting one if the price isn't too bad.)

Yay new? sensor!

Canon basically doesn't have to develop any new AF systems for APS-C sensors for the next 2-3 years so I'm not impressed in the least on that front. Shoehorn the 7D's AF into freakin everything. It'll even find its way into the SL1 size bodies someday :getin:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bubbacub posted:

Not reputable at all. Beware beware beware.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Bubbacub posted:

I had to call them on this one as that's a price I'd jump at if legit. According to their sales rep, that is the import model with no warranty, and he even said it was not made in Japan it was made in Malaysia and was not the same quality. I don't know about that part, but he said their US model with warranty is the normal ~$3200. From the "What's in the Box" -- Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera (Body Only) - IMPORT

All that being said, are these bodies manufactured in two different places, one with higher quality materials than the other? I personally don't care very much about the warranty, but I don't want to buy what essentially sounds like a knock-off, even for $1k less than retail.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

mclifford82 posted:

I had to call them on this one as that's a price I'd jump at if legit. According to their sales rep, that is the import model with no warranty, and he even said it was not made in Japan it was made in Malaysia and was not the same quality. I don't know about that part, but he said their US model with warranty is the normal ~$3200. From the "What's in the Box" -- Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera (Body Only) - IMPORT

All that being said, are these bodies manufactured in two different places, one with higher quality materials than the other? I personally don't care very much about the warranty, but I don't want to buy what essentially sounds like a knock-off, even for $1k less than retail.

The problem is with this company is that when you order they hold the order, then call you and do the hard upsell. They DO NOT like to ship what you order, as evidenced in many of the complains on sites like reseller ratings, etc.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The problem is with this company is that when you order they hold the order, then call you and do the hard upsell. They DO NOT like to ship what you order, as evidenced in many of the complains on sites like reseller ratings, etc.

I had bought a camera, or rather tried to, through one of these sites. I got a phone call asking if I wanted to buy these super batteries that have all these magical properties. After saying no, they said okay and we hung up. It was the worst hard sell I've ever encountered. But yea a few weeks later my stuff still hadn't shipped blah blah blah, and I cancelled my order.

The site I ordered from had a very similar layout to the one posted here. They will always have live support as well as links for businesses to order to make it appear like they traffic a lot of merchandise. Another red flag are the warranties spattered all over the page. The first flag should be very low prices.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

rcman50166 posted:

I had bought a camera, or rather tried to, through one of these sites. I got a phone call asking if I wanted to buy these super batteries that have all these magical properties. After saying no, they said okay and we hung up. It was the worst hard sell I've ever encountered. But yea a few weeks later my stuff still hadn't shipped blah blah blah, and I cancelled my order.

The site I ordered from had a very similar layout to the one posted here. They will always have live support as well as links for businesses to order to make it appear like they traffic a lot of merchandise. Another red flag are the warranties spattered all over the page. The first flag should be very low prices.

Hey man, I really want my warranties! Especially that 5 year battery warranty for over double the cost of the regular battery! That thing is just sweet man!!!

:suicide:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, I don't know what thread to ask this in.

I have been asked to shoot some photos of a home tomorrow for a real estate listing. I am looking into a lens to rent for my 6D, and the widest available for rental is a the Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8L. Would that be able to do the trick? I figure with the full frame, I should get a little more space to capture, correct?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

iSheep posted:

Man, I don't know what thread to ask this in.

I have been asked to shoot some photos of a home tomorrow for a real estate listing. I am looking into a lens to rent for my 6D, and the widest available for rental is a the Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8L. Would that be able to do the trick? I figure with the full frame, I should get a little more space to capture, correct?

A tilt shift might help you out as well. You want all of your vertical lines to be, well, vertical. Canon makes a 24mm tilt-shift that is as sharp as a tack. And yes, you will be able to get a wider shot at the same focal length using a full frame camera verses a crop sensor.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I figure if I had to shoot at the widest angle, I could see what Lightroom could do to adjust the skewing... I haven't played around with that feature that much since I haven't really needed it yet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

77mm and 82mm center-pinch Canon caps are in stock at Adorama, if you're like me and have been :f5:ing B&H's back-ordered page for the last 2 months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 27, 2013

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

77mm and 82mm center-pinch Canon caps are in stock at Adorama, if you're like me and have been :f5:ing B&H's back-ordered page for the last 2 months.

Pretty sure it's just you. But hey, center pinch!

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Looks like the 77 mm is in stock at B&H?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Leviathor posted:

Looks like the 77 mm is in stock at B&H?
I already got my 77 a while ago so it's possible that it's been in stock for some time. It's the 82 that's been impossible to find.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 28, 2013

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
I've been using generic center pinch caps forever... are these Canon branded ones any better? I guess I'm just having a hard time relating to the hype here and in my news feeds.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Inf posted:

I've been using generic center pinch caps forever... are these Canon branded ones any better? I guess I'm just having a hard time relating to the hype here and in my news feeds.
It helps people know you use a Canon brand camera, and that's like... everything!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

tliil posted:

It helps people know you use a Canon brand camera, and that's like... everything!

I have done extensive tests that show that if you put a red ring on the end of your lens people will assume it's a canon.

Even if the lens is pentax lens reverse mounted a nikon.

Seriously.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

I have done extensive tests that show that if you put a red ring on the end of your lens people will assume it's a canon.

Even if the lens is pentax lens reverse mounted a nikon.

Seriously.

I put red rings on EVERYTHING I use. My car tailpipe even has a red ring. It gets the attention of the ladies. :smuggo:

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches
I've got a time lapse session coming up and I'm looking for any recommendations on an AC Adapter for a LP-E8 battery device, e.g. T2/3/4i. All the ones I'm seeing on Amazon and the usual camera sites have either terrible reviews, no reviews, or possibly a single glowing review, none of which instill much confidence. Anyone have experience with the Power2000 ACK-E8?

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
So I guess I dropped my camera and a piece fell off. The camera still works fine, but does anyone know what the part is called and how I'd go about replacing it? eBay? Canon support?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

feraltennisprodigy posted:

So I guess I dropped my camera and a piece fell off. The camera still works fine, but does anyone know what the part is called and how I'd go about replacing it? eBay? Canon support?

Lens bezel. On a happier note, I took the plunge today and price matched buy.com at a local Best Buy for a 5D Mark III. I've used it for about thirty minutes and I'm just blown away by it. I'm coming from a T4i, which I am going to keep for the crop and articulating screen (awesome for macro work), and the differences are incredible. The viewfinder is amazingly bright and big (feels like going from SD to HD).

Right now I'm using some 30-40mb/s SD cards. Is there a recommended speed that would be better? I'm noticing scrolling through images can be a bit sluggish. Also, is it worthwhile to get a large and fast CF card? They're stupidly expensive in comparison to SD cards, so I'd like to know before making the investment.

Thanks, now I'm going to go annoy the family dog some more.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mclifford82 posted:

Lens bezel. On a happier note, I took the plunge today and price matched buy.com at a local Best Buy for a 5D Mark III. I've used it for about thirty minutes and I'm just blown away by it. I'm coming from a T4i, which I am going to keep for the crop and articulating screen (awesome for macro work), and the differences are incredible. The viewfinder is amazingly bright and big (feels like going from SD to HD).

Right now I'm using some 30-40mb/s SD cards. Is there a recommended speed that would be better? I'm noticing scrolling through images can be a bit sluggish. Also, is it worthwhile to get a large and fast CF card? They're stupidly expensive in comparison to SD cards, so I'd like to know before making the investment.

Thanks, now I'm going to go annoy the family dog some more.

The CF cards are stupid expensive because they are stupid fast in comparison to SD cards.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
On the other hand, I think that SSD's are actually getting cheaper per GB than high speed CF cards.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CF Cards are used because they are faster and, more importantly, far far less prone to data corruption than SD cards.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The difference is especially clear uploading the files to a computer.

That said I think CF cards are going to get more and more expensive as bodies start using SD cards a lot more. I doubled my memory card storage in SD cards for the cost of one CF card.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I believe CF cards have on-board controllers whereas SD cards are simplified and offload more to the camera. Of course, if you want to discuss stupidly fast, stupidly expensive, go over to the Nikon thread and find some D4 owners using XQD cards.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Wait you just spent $3k+ on a 5dmk3 and are complaining about $100 for a 64gb CF card. :confused:

Is this like the thing where people whinge about spending $100 on a good cpl for a $1100+ lens?

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Fart Car '97 posted:

CF Cards are used because they are faster and, more importantly, far far less prone to data corruption than SD cards.

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience getting data corruption on an SD card?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Inf posted:

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience getting data corruption on an SD card?

Yup. One card would show me the filenames but not let me open them or copy them.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

SeaborneClink posted:

Wait you just spent $3k+ on a 5dmk3 and are complaining about $100 for a 64gb CF card. :confused:

Is this like the thing where people whinge about spending $100 on a good cpl for a $1100+ lens?

I don't think I complained about it at all. I simply asked if there was an actual benefit to spending more money on a CF card than the much less expensive SD cards of the same size (which I already own).

Hopefully that helps your confusion. :)

Inf posted:

I've lately had my SD card stop communicating with the camera sometimes but I just eject and reinsert it and it's fine. Haven't had files corrupted fortunately.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

SeaborneClink posted:

The magic of the DLSR revolution, besides computer editing, are the storage cards: you're going to be able take 50K (or more) shots for the cost of what used to be a dozen or so rolls of film.

I use a Sandisk 60mb/s card for my 5Dmkii. I bought it 3.5 years ago and it cost $120 for 16GB. My 2nd card is a Transcend 32GB that's a bit slower. I like the smaller size because I end up taking less photos. 36 frames really made one think before pushing the button, in the olden days.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes, they just spent $3k on a 5dmk3. Some people still have the concept of a dollar.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

tarepanda posted:

Yup. One card would show me the filenames but not let me open them or copy them.

mclifford82 posted:

I've lately had my SD card stop communicating with the camera sometimes but I just eject and reinsert it and it's fine. Haven't had files corrupted fortunately.

Hmm, good to know. Brands?

A friend of mine was a Sandisk marketing rep for a while and kept telling me stuff like "Sandisk will recover your data for free if blah blah card gets damaged etc."

Edit: did some Googling, apparently this is not true (anymore, at least)

Inf fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 30, 2013

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
You're putting a lot of data into a very physically small space, it's really amazing that you don't hear a lot of stories of SD cards failing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Inf posted:

Hmm, good to know. Brands?

IT was a 4 GB or 8 GB Transcend, I think. This would have been back when I was using a... G8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just be sure you buy stuff that's fast. Class 10 is the fastest you can get SD cards (...right?) so look for the circular logo on the front/label of the card. A cheap 64 gig card is nice until you realize it's class 4 and won't handle video or a large buffer of photos terribly well.