Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

We have joined hands with our allies in Sudan, Somalia, Iran to say

gently caress Women,
Love :patriot:

We just hate making international commitments don't we?

Edit: I'm sure that it's just to preserve "National Sovereignty" I'm nearly certain that we have better Women s Rights than say, China...

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
America is isolationist in every way except in military, then all of a sudden we think we own the whole world. Kind of amazing.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

We have joined hands with our allies in Sudan, Somalia, Iran to say

gently caress Women,
Love :patriot:

We just hate making international commitments don't we?

We signed almost all of those, we just can't ratify them because some people think we need the rights

Especially the right to execute children apparently

Oh and

Good job Ireland

Peruser fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 28, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Peruser posted:

We signed almost all of those, we just can't ratify them because some people think we need the rights

Oh and

Good job Ireland

I was under the impression that most of those treaties were blocked in the senate by :freep: republicans.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Peruser posted:

Oh and

Good job Ireland

Also some of them (especially the ICC) would be unconstitutional for the U.S. to join. Congress just doesn't have the authority to subject Americans to criminal process that doesn't comport with the fifth and sixth amendments.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Peruser posted:

Oh and

Good job Ireland

Unless "well enforced" and "mostly enforced" are clearly defined, I'm not sure what the difference is and why Ireland is so special.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Peruser posted:

Oh and

Good job Ireland

The hell happened to the Caspian there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Unless "well enforced" and "mostly enforced" are clearly defined, I'm not sure what the difference is and why Ireland is so special.

Just let them have this.

Actually, I'm a little surprised too. I thought Ireland had very strict abortion laws. That strikes me as something that 'harms women'.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Japan ought to be the same shade as South Korea while we're at it, since their enforcement of equal rights laws is a lot more than just spotty.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Annual meat consumption per capita:

The usual suspects are in red.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

The usual suspects are in red.

Luxemburg?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It doesn't surprise me. My dad works in Luxembourg City, lots of great restaurants there. And look at the United Arab Emirates, using their oil wealth to eat ungodly amounts of meat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I'm kinda surprised by Norway, it's not like they don't have a poo poo ton of oil money either. Maybe us poor Danes are having our numbers inflated by Norwegian meat tourists?* Seriously though, I looked up the stats, and apparently the Norwegian meat consumption has fluctuated quite dramatically in recent years. (I think both lower and higher than shown on this map.) drat Norwegians and their health crazes. I would be interested in seeing maps with different types of meat though, because they're not exactly created equal. Would probably make the map even more skewed, with the people eating little meat eating chicken, and the people eating loads eating beef.

*An actual thing. Norwegians pensioners take the ferry to Denmark and fill their luggage with cheap meat products.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm kinda surprised by Norway, it's not like they don't have a poo poo ton of oil money either. Maybe us poor Danes are having our numbers inflated by Norwegian meat tourists?* Seriously though, I looked up the stats, and apparently the Norwegian meat consumption has fluctuated quite dramatically in recent years. (I think both lower and higher than shown on this map.) drat Norwegians and their health crazes. I would be interested in seeing maps with different types of meat though, because they're not exactly created equal. Would probably make the map even more skewed, with the people eating little meat eating chicken, and the people eating loads eating beef.

*An actual thing. Norwegians pensioners take the ferry to Denmark and fill their luggage with cheap meat products.

A shitload of them also crosses over to Sweden to buy their meat so I think combined with the meat tourism to Denmark is why they have such lower rates of meat consumption that map.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Peruser posted:

Hey now, no one can say we don't care about children; in fact, despite not having ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child, we are so opposed to the use of child soldiers that we treat them as criminals :v:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Can we please not turn this into yet another Islamo-Marxist DD thread where the Righteous line up to fire salvos at AmeriKKKa?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheImmigrant posted:

Can we please not turn this into yet another Islamo-Marxist DD thread where the Righteous line up to fire salvos at AmeriKKKa?

Hey, at least it's better than "I like beating up fascists so much!" :)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

No, but seriously dude. What.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What the hell? I thought this kind of poo poo only went down in places like the Soviet Union (seriously, my parents have told me about these 'kielbasa trains' where villagers would just roll into moscow, buy everything they could carry, and then roll back home)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Norway is expensive as gently caress. I have a Norwegian friend who lives pretty close to the border, he does almost all of his shopping in Sweden because it's so much cheaper.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, but seriously dude. What.

What's the context of this ad? I can only assume it's an ad for Mexican audiences, but I'm still unsure what it's meant to be insinuating? That if the Mexicans had drunk Absolut, Manifest Destiny wouldn't have worked and the Mexican concession wouldn't have happened?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Narrator posted:

What's the context of this ad? I can only assume it's an ad for Mexican audiences, but I'm still unsure what it's meant to be insinuating? That if the Mexicans had drunk Absolut, Manifest Destiny wouldn't have worked and the Mexican concession wouldn't have happened?

For a while Absolut Vodka ran an ad campaign depicting perfect worlds. The advertisement above was used in Mexico until it made its way north. A few Americans became very annoyed by the implication that the US never should have conquered California and Absolut had to release an apology statement a few days later.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

QuoProQuid posted:

For a while Absolut Vodka ran an ad campaign depicting perfect worlds. The advertisement above was used in Mexico until it made its way north. A few Americans became very annoyed by the implication that the US never should have conquered California and Absolut had to release an apology statement a few days later.

Did they make the english version themselves? Because that seems kind of dumb.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

wdarkk posted:

Did they make the english version themselves? Because that seems kind of dumb.
All the text but the slogan is actually in Spanish. I'm guessing they just kept the slogan in English for whatever reasons advertisers come up with for doing anything.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

... But the presentation looks kinda wrong. Like it looks like the border shifted way off of the 42N and Mexico got Oregon, and I only say this because I was bored today at work and drew a map of a Greater Mexico with Oregon.

Here's a map made after the 1819 Adams-Onis Treaty that fixed the New Spain-American Border.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I wish there were more American irredentists longing for a 54°40 border.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

tractor fanatic posted:

I wish there were more American irredentists longing for a 54°40 border.

Are there any who do so even remotely seriously?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No, there are not.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Even back then it was a very fringe movement, mainly among people who were pissed about 1812.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

Lord Tywin posted:

A shitload of them also crosses over to Sweden to buy their meat so I think combined with the meat tourism to Denmark is why they have such lower rates of meat consumption that map.

Well, what's the fish consumption like?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I found this on google image search, looking for more of those Absolut ads.

Dear god I hope this is satire

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

ThePutty posted:

Interestingly, some ambitious Southerners in the leadup to the Civil War contemplated conquering Central and northern South America and the Caribbean to serve as an invincible redoubt for the institution of chattel slavery.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ThePutty posted:

From the Image Thread (jeez people stop posting maps in that thread)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ThePutty posted:

It obviously is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why Venezuela?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

ThePutty posted:

I like how Puerto Rico isn't part of the US.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vegetable posted:

Why Venezuela?

Because Hugo Chavez made a lot of right-wing types totally crazy. He was really good at tweaking George W. Bush (called him "the devil himself" at the UN).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lord Tywin posted:

Wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. Can't imagine anyone living right on the border to Sweden wanting to go all the way to Denmark just to buy meat.

redscare posted:

What the hell? I thought this kind of poo poo only went down in places like the Soviet Union (seriously, my parents have told me about these 'kielbasa trains' where villagers would just roll into moscow, buy everything they could carry, and then roll back home)

Grand Fromage posted:

Norway is expensive as gently caress. I have a Norwegian friend who lives pretty close to the border, he does almost all of his shopping in Sweden because it's so much cheaper.
Yeah, Denmark and Sweden would probably sound expensive to most Americans in the first place. Norway's prices beat ours handily. (The cost of living groceries index for Denmark and Sweden is 93, vs. New York's 100, and Norway's is 136.) I also found some claims that bacon in Norway is three times more expensive than in Sweden, so if that holds for other types of meat there's a lot of money to be saved by going across the border.

Oh yeah, and both Swedes and Norwegians also buy cheap beer here in Denmark, while us Danes go to Germany and buy cheap beer there. It's all a bit silly really. :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

redscare posted:

Scandinavians can be really weird when it comes to the price of things like alcohol (and apparently, meat). I always point that out when people are talking about how it's paradise on Earth. Then I head to the local bar and order a beer for 1.70€. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Peruser posted:

Oh and

Good job Ireland

Ah, yes, Ireland, that bastion of women's rights, beating out Canada, the UK, and Norway.

Oht