Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
I've had the Fanatec GT2 wheel since June 2011. I must have put at least 20,000 miles on it by now. Forza 4 says I have over 10k miles alone. The wheel still works great. Any flaws with it are the same flaws it had when I got it. The paddle shifter buttons seem a little flimsy but they still work just as well as the day I took it out of the box. I don't have the external shifter so the paddles have seen a lot of use. Force feedback is still strong. All the buttons work. The stitching on the leather is still holding strong but the leather itself is getting nicely polished after thousands of miles going sideways. The wheel still is tight on its axis/bearings. There is a very very tiny amount of play up and down but that seems to come mostly from the base lifting up and down as the whole front face of the wheel base bends a little. There is still zero play if you try to bend the wheel from side to side.

I have also had the Clubsport Pedals since February 2011 (The original version) and they has fared just the same. They developed a squeak on the throttle pedal. The squeak turns into a ringing if you have good throttle control, I consider this to be another form of feedback ex: *Drifts into a corner rolling into the throttle at the appropriate rate, riiiinnng*. Another problem with the throttle is that it needs to be adjusted time to time with a screwdriver to get it to sense its maximum signal output at maximum depression. Sometimes even after adjustment it still reaches only ~93% when the throttle is full pressed down. This isn't a problem with Forza because it has an option for outside deadzone on the throttle axis. I don't think I've seen a PC game which has this adjustment which can be annoying. They should have these options for the PC Drivers but they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Is there any trick to getting the force feedback to work in LFS w/ a G27 wheel? I have every other sim in the world working fine, but this one won't. FFB just turns off completely as soon as I start the game. I'm wondering if it's sending it to the wrong controller (I have CSR Elite pedals, and also an Xbox controller, although I also tried rebooting with neither of those plugged in, only the wheel).

There is one way to get it to work--unplug and replug the wheel with the game already running. Problem is, that also resets the wheel to 200deg rotation. If I alt-tab out to the Logitech Profiler, it will fix the rotation but the FFB disappears again.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Are there release dates yet for Assetto Corsa or GTR3 ? I'm getting fed up with rFactor 2 and the tires on every car turning to molten lava.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think either sim is coming out anytime soon. Assetto Corsa I know for a fact is way behind schedule.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I thought this Race Room crap is kneecapped GTR3 (i.e. with forced driving aids). Seems advanced enough to be not too far off.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
GTR3.com is still up, but the eventual link you get to goes nowhere. Last I heard about AC was Q1 '13 which is almost over. AC looks the most promising (and most likely to ever see the light of day)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

headfake posted:

Is there any trick to getting the force feedback to work in LFS w/ a G27 wheel? I have every other sim in the world working fine, but this one won't. FFB just turns off completely as soon as I start the game. I'm wondering if it's sending it to the wrong controller (I have CSR Elite pedals, and also an Xbox controller, although I also tried rebooting with neither of those plugged in, only the wheel).

There is one way to get it to work--unplug and replug the wheel with the game already running. Problem is, that also resets the wheel to 200deg rotation. If I alt-tab out to the Logitech Profiler, it will fix the rotation but the FFB disappears again.

I've never heard of this before. LFS has always played file with Logitech wheels as far as I've seen. Have you tried the LFS forums?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I've not played LFS in a very long time but when I did, it was with my DF-GT and I don't remember having a problem.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Yeah, I posted on the LFS forums as well. Got one suggestion but it didn't fix the problem. I'd imagine that it works for most people, of course--I figure it's something about my combination of controllers or whatever that's triggering it. Maybe the solution is to unplug everything and uninstall and reinstall all the drivers or something like that--I tried doing basically this but maybe not thoroughly enough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has anyone else tried out Sim Raceway? It's "free." You get a few cars and 14 tracks to play around with and you buy the rest. It's in open beta right now, and seems ok. I checked it out because it has COTA and I wanted to try that track out (it's pretty challenging). It also has the 1M as a free car, and I've been wanting to buy a 135i so it was a chance to get a feel for the 1 series. The cars are pretty polished from what I can tell, and the game has some nice features. My only problem is that wheel support is iffy. Force feedback seems to be pretty broken for my Fanatec CSR. There's no setting between no weight to the wheel at all or having to fight it like the power steering has died on a modern car. Range of movement seems to be broken as well. The sensitivity has to be set to 360 degrees. 900 degrees means I have to turn the wheel around once just to take a corner.

Still needs a lot of work before I'd be willing to spend money on the cars.

https://www.simraceway.com

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's another ISI-based game, before you get your hopes up for fancy physics.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's another ISI-based game, before you get your hopes up for fancy physics.

Graphics engine and physics are two separate things. Plus, ISI's physics system is one of the best around, despite its age.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Physics are supposedly on the level of rF1, since they didn't do much to the ISI code. So don't expect magic that'll hold a candle to the new games coming up. As far as graphics go, I don't have a clue, the last time I've tried it (a few months ago), it wasn't anything to cry home about. Some tracks looked pretty bad.

--edit: 12USD and upwards for single supercars. Heh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 6, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Didn't a McLaren MP4-4 cost like 40 dollars?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Chiming in on SimRaceway's graphics : They're awful. Absolutely just... crap. They're trying a few more interesting things, like support for drifting, and they've added an off-road track that ushers in some potential for a lot more variety.

The sim itself feels... ok, but nothing close to iRacing or pCars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What do you mean "support for drifting"? Drift tracks, or a drift mode in game? Because latter doesn't exactly sound promising from the physics standpoint. A simmer may get the impression that the physics aren't adequate enough to make the car driftable by setup only.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've decided to just uninstall it. It was fun to try out COTA, but I'll wait for a decent game to get it. Simraceway just has really bad wheel support. It also made shifting really weird. Seems like no matter what I did with the throttle, the revs were always wrong when shifting.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

There are weekly "events" you can participate in, which is a plus... And one of them is basically a poorly set up Supra in a ridiculously tight track, and they called it a "drifting challenge". All in all the sim is half-baked and barely deserves to be called a sim.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

I've decided to just uninstall it. It was fun to try out COTA, but I'll wait for a decent game to get it. Simraceway just has really bad wheel support. It also made shifting really weird. Seems like no matter what I did with the throttle, the revs were always wrong when shifting.

Try F1 2012. COTA is in there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Try F1 2012. COTA is in there.

I played the demo. 270 degrees of steering is worse than 360.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
rFactor 2 just updated a bunch of stuff - cars and tracks. Maybe it's because I still had the original release of the historic formula cars and tracks, but I noticed a massive improvement in survivability when I hosed around on Monaco. It's still ungodly hard to trail-brake heavily in spots like the chicane after the long tunnel, or the final hairpin, but it sure is a big bag of fun.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just in case anyone was curious, the new Nascar the Game: 2013 feels pretty arcade-y even with all assists off and the toughest setting. On top of that, car sounds work about half the time... AI opponents spin you out as the green drops constantly, and it doesn't even support resolutions greater than 1920x1080.

It's still a "beta" on steam, but my hopes aren't high right now.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

I've got a small room, and I'm now wondering something. How do you guys exactly store your racing wheels? I can't find anything to put the darned thing in or the best way to keep it from getting damaged. I've got a Logitech Momo Racing Wheel and no idea how to store this behemoth.

Edit: I'm going to say this is about dorm size or less because it's a really small room and I need to figure out how the hell I can store it, I can clamp it on and have plenty of room though, but I need to use the computer as a computer so where does it go when not in use?

P.S. I realize this is an odd question, but I'm kinda puzzled as far as how to fit the darned thing in my room without a cardboard box and I can't use the old containers or leave it laying around like I used to. It's quite big for what I can store it in and most stackable storage boxes are small compared to this monster of a wheel.

Octal fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 22, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I have no idea either. I've got a G25, so there are cables everywhere. I almost want to bundle some together and add some quick connectors on the cable. I'd like to disconnect the shifter from the wheel and the wheel from the power/usb/pedals quickly and just toss the shifter and wheel in the closet and leave everything ready to go.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
The first thing that comes to mind is how people store their bikes upside-down in their garage with hooks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I just toss it under my desk. It's pretty wide, and the case stands next to it on the outside, so there's of space.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
A demo version of rFactor 2 has been released with the Corvette C6R GT2 and Lime Rock Park, available here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Worth a look for anyone curious about RF2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't understand how that game can be so ugly. I thought iRacing was bad because I was used to Forza and pCARS, but this game is terrible. People post videos in the track threads on the pCARS website that have a split screen of pCARS, iRacing, rFactor 2 and Simraceway. rFactor 2 is always the ugliest. It drove ok, but it was annoying to set up.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand how that game can be so ugly. I thought iRacing was bad because I was used to Forza and pCARS, but this game is terrible. People post videos in the track threads on the pCARS website that have a split screen of pCARS, iRacing, rFactor 2 and Simraceway. rFactor 2 is always the ugliest. It drove ok, but it was annoying to set up.

I was trying to figure out if I just missed something with the graphics settings, because everything other than the cars has this kind of flat washed out look. iRacing doesn't have high-tech graphics or anything but I felt like the art style works for the game; it's very clean and functional without being painful to look at.

It won't really bother me if the driving is fun, but I'm terrible at driving absurdly fast video game cars like the racing Corvette included in the demo so I can't tell if it would be worth buying just from that one track/car combo. I spent most of my time overshooting turns or going into spins after touching the grass. :(

On the other hand non grass-induced slides felt very intuitive to recover from, for some reason when I try to recover from a slide in pCARS in cars with slicks I tend to suddenly regain grip while pointing in the wrong direction and hit a wall. I don't know if that's how slicks are supposed to behave or not.

I wish there was a demo for Assetto Corsa already, everything I've read about it makes it sound like it will be pretty good.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I wish there was a demo for Assetto Corsa already, everything I've read about it makes it sound like it will be pretty good.

You can get the tech preview of the Assetto Corsa if you own/buy netkar pro.
(Netkar pro is probably the best FFB and tyre simulation I have felt in a racing sim, but the online community is pretty dead)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

It won't really bother me if the driving is fun, but I'm terrible at driving absurdly fast video game cars like the racing Corvette included in the demo so I can't tell if it would be worth buying just from that one track/car combo.

The Corvette may be the worst car to be honest, and its very difficult to drive. The best cars are the Clio (seriously fun), Megane, FR3.5 and one or two others. It *MIGHT* be possible to download and install these in the demo, they weren't clear on that.

You need to have everything maxed out, HDR on, right time of day etc for the game to look nice and pretty. It can look dull or great with minimal changes.

Be aware though RF2 is murder on a system. Dont expect high frame rates on anything but a very high end gaming rig.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

On the other hand non grass-induced slides felt very intuitive to recover from, for some reason when I try to recover from a slide in pCARS in cars with slicks I tend to suddenly regain grip while pointing in the wrong direction and hit a wall. I don't know if that's how slicks are supposed to behave or not.

That's why I pretty much only drive the Lotus 49 and the Zakspeed Ford Capri in pCARS. The bias plies of the lotus make it easy to find a slip angle and slide across the track all day. The Ford Capri is just super fun.

And like deebo said, there is a tech demo for Assetto Corsa. It's the Lotus Elise on some Italian sounding track. It's pretty fun, and feels good.

CactusWeasle posted:

Be aware though RF2 is murder on a system. Dont expect high frame rates on anything but a very high end gaming rig.

This makes no sense to me. I don't see what is in this game that would make it be murder on a system. Especially when I can play pCARS with high framerates on a midrange computer I built last year. All the youtube videos I watch mention how the people who make rFactor are apparently good at making a racing engine but terrible at every other thing that is involved in making a game.

rezblit
Jun 29, 2013

Look at him, he's ecstatic!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

All the youtube videos I watch mention how the people who make rFactor are apparently good at making a racing engine but terrible at every other thing that is involved in making a game.
Considering that SMS is pretty much a home office joint spread all over the world with somewhat of a churn rate apparently, it's surprising that ISI can't muster up some decent graphics guys.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering that SMS is pretty much a home office joint spread all over the world with somewhat of a churn rate apparently, it's surprising that ISI can't muster up some decent graphics guys.

They just don't seem to care about optimization; the PR reply to any such comment is 'just turn everything down/off to get good framerates'. The version of Silverstone they just released is almost hilariously unoptimized. It uses so much RAM & VRAM its bizzare. Its the same for force feedback; default (unfiltered) will kill any wheel, and you have to filter the hell out of it for anything that wont shake your wheel/house apart.

That said, it's such a dynamic sim its amazing. Real road, weather, drying lines, tyre wear, flatspots, wind, temperature..... once they actually make everything work together it will be the most comprehensive sim imaginable.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

CactusWeasle posted:

That said, it's such a dynamic sim its amazing. Real road, weather, drying lines, tyre wear, flatspots, wind, temperature..... once they actually make everything work together it will be the most comprehensive sim imaginable.

But the question is will they ever actually do this? At the rate they're going we are probably going to hit the heat death of the universe first.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I was flabbergasted at how terrible my framerate was on the new Silverstone. With practice, I can now drive the Corvette somewhat reasonably without flying off the track too often, but it's an awfully difficult car to include in a demo. I still can't drive any of the Formula cars at all.

My favorite rF2 cars are the Historic F2 cars - you can kick the tail out without too much trouble for slidey goodness. The historic F1s are terrifying - massive power with next to no grip and more body roll than a 70s Cadillac.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

They're not the only ones doing that stuff.

PCARS has weather/rain/drying lines, tire wear+flatspots and all that. Working that is (maybe not tuned properly, tho). Their throttle system even respects ambient air pressure of the locations, track position and weather dependent, live changing the power output of the car.

I'm sure Assetto Corsa's implementing the same features. I wish they'd reveal more details about their engine.

Not sure what "real road" is supposed to mean.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not sure what "real road" is supposed to mean.

"Real Road" is what ISI call their system for rubbering in the track with racing groove, grip, marbles etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I tried Richard Burns Rally recently and it's really really difficult. Just racing a few courses I've flown my car off a bridge or hit a tree and astounding number of times. I don't think I would make a very good rally driver. I installed the mod addon thing so maybe I can find a slower car to try if I can decipher the Frenglish.

It's too bad nobody has made a modern rally racing game with the narrow courses and dropoffs and tire ruts and all, I had fun with Dirt 2 but it's not really the same thing.

• Locked thread