Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
There's nothing wrong with people wanting to spend a small amount of money to put something permanently beside their TV. Their only mistake might be in choosing an OUYA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Even if Google and Apple get involved, I still think playing phone games on a TV is a loving stupid idea because phone games suck, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. I still think the iPad is a pretty stupid, useless idea and I'm clearly in the minority there.

XboxPants posted:

If you you're solely into it for the emulation, try to get some advice on a good stick. You can get one more powerful than an OUYA for cheaper. If you already have a bluetooth controller, you're pretty set. Even if you don't already have one, you can still probably get a stick + pad for cheaper than OUYA. If you're not interested in having a storefront with modern games that all have controller support, you can probably get a better deal.

That said, while you can definitely do better if you shop around, I certainly wouldn't say OUYA's a "huge mistake", especially if you're looking for a hardware + controller set. The 3D emulators aren't bad at all. Ocarina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgpTe83yBV8

Rom support is inconsistent from game to game, though, so you might wanna look into individual games that you're into. Based on YouTube videos, though, they generally seem to run fine, perhaps with an occasional weird emulator glitch. (I saw a blank texture in one room in a video I watched) There's at least one emulator with active development, though; the guy ran a Kickstarter specially for the OUYA N64 emulator and talks with users here.

Summary:
Yes, you can do better if you shop around. No, it's not a huge mistake, so long as you want the controller, which is perfectly decent and not as poo poo as people say.

You just said that "yes, you can do better" and then "no, it wouldn't be a mistake to buy one." These are mutually exclusive statements: if a better purchase can be made, then it is a mistake to make an inferior purchase. There is no argument you can make with that statement that doesn't, quite literally, defy logic.

Have you even gotten yours yet?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

quote:

Is this instant death for the Ouya? It seems clear cut when going up against giants like Apple and Google, but it could have one thing going for it. Intentional or not, the Ouya is a piracy goldmine, allowing even users with a fractional amount of tech knowledge to get access to emulator roms of nearly every old video game in existence. You can bet that’s a service Google and Apple won’t offer. And the general hackability of the box is something the larger companies will shy away from too.
Really? Is it? Because I'm pretty sure I can just throw any .apk I feel like on to my android phone, and give it root access if I so please. I don't see where this confidence that this would change on a different android device is coming from. Even setting aside the fact that OUYA is kind of hacker unfriendly, I don't know why it's assumed Google would suddenly change their minds about .apks not from the Play store.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but recently I've been using my Apple TV to mirror my Mac's screen to my TV, hooked up a 360 controller, and now I have a micro console I guess. Works fine for pretty much anything found in Humble Bundles (which makes up the biggest part of my game collection). No hassle, no cables to gently caress with, one mouse click and it's good to go. I've used emulators on a Mac before, too, so I know I could make that happen if I wanted as well.

It's not a smart solution for anyone who wants to buy a box to do this (Apple TV + any Mac = never going to be the cheapest option) but for someone like me who already had this stuff anyway, even if the OUYA was a solid piece of hardware with an amazing UI, there's completely no point in getting one.

Thank you for be leaving.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

You just said that "yes, you can do better" and then "no, it wouldn't be a mistake to buy one." These are mutually exclusive statements: if a better purchase can be made, then it is a mistake to make an inferior purchase. There is no argument you can make with that statement that doesn't, quite literally, defy logic.
Eh, not really. He said it wasn't a huge mistake. You can have degrees of a mistake. Picking up the wrong kind of milk is a mistake, but not a huge mistake. Thinking you can live with bears is a huge mistake.

Xbox pants often writes terrible, rambling and confusing posts, but we don't have to misinterpret what he's said as some kind of logical fallacy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Have you even gotten yours yet?
Yes.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Eh, not really. He said it wasn't a huge mistake. You can have degrees of a mistake. Picking up the wrong kind of milk is a mistake, but not a huge mistake. Thinking you can live with bears is a huge mistake.

Xbox pants often writes terrible, rambling and confusing posts, but we don't have to misinterpret what he's said as some kind of logical fallacy.
Thanks for the defense. In this case I'll take some blame, though. The person I was responding to did specifically ask if it would be a "huge mistake", but I probably didn't need to respond to his post so literally when clearly he just wanted to know whether it was a good idea or not.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 29, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Even if Google and Apple get involved, I still think playing phone games on a TV is a loving stupid idea because phone games suck, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.[quote]

The point of their systems won't be to just 'play phone games on a TV'. It obviously will have to start that way but it's a new platform to get their Android/iOS devs on, and for them a new revenue stream. If Apple's iOS7 gamepad support catches on with some iOS devs and they make some awesome handheld titles, it's pretty reasonable that they could make fun sit down games. I doubt Apple or Google are thinking about RPGs that take 40 hours to beat and overthrowing Sony and Microsoft, but opening up and owning a new super casual gaming market.

[quote="I just spent 9.95!!" post="416984409"]
I still think the iPad is a pretty stupid, useless idea and I'm clearly in the minority there.

Yeahhhh......

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Atlas Hugged posted:

And while it's technically "not a store", the distinction is a paper thin one. It is more or less functioning as a pre-order and limited run store for hundreds of businesses, especially in gaming and related industries.

This is 100% the truth, but all the believers of kickstarter (not just OUYA) don't see it half the time.

This isn't micro-lending or micro-investing, because you don't see a return. By all reasonable logic, OUYA should pay out a cut of profits to its investors. You're not an investor.

So you're pre-ordering something that might not happen. This is the issue with Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a charity website under the guise of a investment website which is often confused for a pre-ordering website.

Even if Google and Apple get involved, I still think playing phone games on a TV is a loving stupid idea because phone games suck, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. I still think the iPad is a pretty stupid, useless idea and I'm clearly in the minority there.

Phone games on a TV is dumb; they're designed differently. Good phone games are designed to be played in shorter increments, to be episodic; where most console games are designed to give you a couple hours of solid entrenched game and story. Getting phone games on the TV isn't the problem, they're not meant for it. Shoehorning in new controls for something designed for a touchscreen doesn't work great; can you imagine playing angry birds or cut the rope or fruit ninja on an OUYA controller? gently caress that noise.

That said, playing games on your TV period isn't that dumb, I do it myself sometimes. (Although PC is where its at) The dream obviously is that these wouldn't be cell phone games anymore but that cell phone games companies would start making TV games on this cell phone hardware, which is... questionable. Why not just go with the people who know how to do that already?

As for the iPad, its not for everybody, its a niche product. The iPad is for people who want to internet but are scared/uncomfortable with a mouse, keyboard, and sitting at a desk. These people would rather internet by flipping the pages of a newspaper, so whala, perfect product. If you think the iPad is for gaming or for doing your taxes, you're horribly mistaken. Its for simply reading the internet, reading your mail, and maybe reading a word .doc on the way to your next corporate meeting or while sitting on the couch with your grandkids. That said, they've been a fad so I can understand you not seeing that they're a niche product. (although its a pretty big niche, lots of people out there afraid of computers who want a computer, ironically)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 29, 2013

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I was thinking I was just going to go get one from a real retailer with a real return policy, that way if it's lovely I can just return it. Best Buy has two stores near me that carried them when I checked yesterday. One had already sold out, the other was a half-hour drive, and I had to work late so I couldn't make it in until today. Now the other one is sold out too and the web site said back-ordered.

So, if nothing else, they are selling. I don't know how many they stocked to begin with of course.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Zaphod42 posted:

This isn't micro-lending or micro-investing, because you don't see a return. By all reasonable logic, OUYA should pay out a cut of profits to its investors. You're not an investor.

It's patronage. This isn't a new concept in and of itself. Although the fact that it uses hundreds or thousands of smaller patrons instead of one or two extremely wealthy ones is notable.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XboxPants posted:

It's possible that will change in the future, but you should never buy a console based on what you hope will come out in the future.

Isn't "what you hope will come out in the future" exactly what your rationale was for defending the ouya in about 2 1/2 of these threads?

XboxPants posted:

Sure, but there's also...

• XboxPants Rule #2: Kickstarter is a funding platform. Never use it as a store.

Weren't you also the one referring to kickstarter pledges as "pre-orders" in the previous threads, to the point where you famously called it "half as successful as the original playstation"? In fact, I think it was other people telling you that Kickstarter is not a store.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mr. Belding posted:

So, if nothing else, they are selling. I don't know how many they stocked to begin with of course.

I believe Best Buys are only getting like 3-5 units. I have to admit though I'm impressed they pulled off shipping units to multiple stores nationwide considering how bad they were / still are at shipping to backers.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Isn't "what you hope will come out in the future" exactly what your rationale was for defending the ouya in about 2 1/2 of these threads?

Weren't you also the one referring to kickstarter pledges as "pre-orders" in the previous threads, to the point where you famously called it "half as successful as the original playstation"? In fact, I think it was other people telling you that Kickstarter is not a store.

It's going to take him a bit to quote himself on that. The hilarious play station bit was earlier this thread, right?

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Acquire Currency! posted:

It's going to take him a bit to quote himself on that. The hilarious play station bit was earlier this thread, right?
Nah, it was on the previous OUYA thread, which has been goldmined. The post can be found here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515898&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post411008066

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Belding posted:

It's patronage. This isn't a new concept in and of itself. Although the fact that it uses hundreds or thousands of smaller patrons instead of one or two extremely wealthy ones is notable.

That would be charity, essentially. Charity of the arts. But again, everything is so heavily itemized, nobody backs random amounts, you just "purchase" a certain pledge level... its confused.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Acquire Currency! posted:

No, it was the previous goldmined thread which will stand forever with that quote as its title.

Fun fact: if you google "site:forums.somethingawful.com ouya pre-order" the first page of results are almost entirely Xboxpants posts.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, thanks guys. It's all blending into this one continuous OUYA mass. I suppose we could break up the threads into sagas like some sort of high fantasy?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Dave posted:

I believe Best Buys are only getting like 3-5 units. I have to admit though I'm impressed they pulled off shipping units to multiple stores nationwide considering how bad they were / still are at shipping to backers.

SOME Best Buys are getting a handful of units. Most stores, whether Target, Gamestop, or Best Buy, literally did not get any display units.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sorry, missed this post.

Suspicious Dish posted:

As has been brought up multiple times in this thread, the revised Kickstarter Terms of Service (which have been retroactively applied to all projects that have been funded without rewards, keep in mind — in order to keep posting backer updates you must agree to the new TOS) require that all liability of the reward is on the creator, and that if they cannot guarantee rewards they must refund the supplied money.

That's not what I'm talking about. Yes, Kickstarter projects have a moral, ethical, and legal obligation to fulfill the rewards. Backers deserve to get what they paid for. All that's true, but "they promised!" ain't worth jack poo poo to a consumer if the product isn't what they hoped for.

As a consumer, you absolutely cannot be sure of a product that hasn't been created yet. This isn't complicated! You can still make a purchase like that if you want to, but you have to accept that you're taking a risk. The same concept applies when making a pre-order at Gamestop of a game you've never played that isn't completed.

Another poster said the OUYA purchasers should have been told "never buy a console based on what you hope it will be". My response was that you should never buy any product based on what you hope it will be, and since that describes (almost) every product on Kickstarter, that means you shouldn't treat Kickstarter as a place to buy completed goods.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Yet you did exactly that. Is your advice "do as I say, not as I do? "

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I did not do exactly that. I backed it primarily to support the project and help its success.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

theflyingorc posted:

To be fair that's not exactly uncommon and if you pay attention you can learn from mistakes others make.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

This is pretty rich coming from a guy who bought kickstarted the exclusive version of the console, as well as 4 controllers, before any games had been announced.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Zelder posted:

This is pretty rich coming from a guy who bought kickstarted the exclusive version of the console, as well as 4 controllers, before any games had been announced.

If the main reason you're giving money to a Kickstarter is to support it, then you're more likely to back at a high tier even if the reward alone is of a questionable value.

Savvy?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Moogle posted:

You heard there was a sweet reward,
On Kickstarter, and you were bored,
And you don't really care for money, do ya?
It goes like this:
The hipster schtick.
Pre-rendered box and fancy stick,
Yves Behar designing dreams for Ouya

Hallelujah. Pally-Ouya. Canny-Ouya.
Where's your Ou...ouuu... ya.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof,
Controllers running on Bluetooth,
The render on the homepage overthrew ya.
She lied to you without a care,
With crazy eyes and icecream hair,
And from your dreams she drew the mighty Ouya.

Hallelujah. Fancy-Ouya. Schmancy-Ouya.

Julie I've been here before,
I know this scam, I've seen this score,
I backed Pandora 'fore I ever knew ya.
I've seen your tweets on my daily feed,
You spin, evade and just mislead;
It's a hot and it's a broken heap, is Ouya.

Hallelujah. Roasty-Ouya. Toasty-Ouya.

There was a time when you let us know,
What's really going on below,
But now you never show it to us, do ya?
And remember when we tweeted you,
And in reply: @Support - Redtube,
And every graph you drew was classic Ouya.

Hallelujah. Silly-Ouya. Shilly-Ouya.

Maybe boots are on the ground,
But all your early backers found,
Was how you'd fail when fad ideas outgrew ya,
It's not a shill who posts all night,
It's not someone who has seen the light,
Tis a forum full of goons all posting 'screw ya'.

Hallelujah. Scammy-Ouya. Hammy-Ouya.

"You say I took the cash in vain,
Got venture guys caught in my game,
But if I did, well, really, what's it to ya?"
There's bullshit smearing every word,
It doesn't matter which you heard,
The holy or the broken pile that's Ouya.

Hallelujah. Wanky-Ouya. Bloody fooled-ya.
Keep your Ou...ouuu... ya.

You did your best; it wasn't much,
Your software's crap and out of touch,
You lied about the shipping and more fool ya.
And even though it all went wrong,
Still most of Reddit plays along,
When even XBoxPants has seen right through ya...

Hallelujah. Chinese poo-ya. Backers: screwed-ya.
Stick your Ou...ouuu... ya.

vvv should've mentioned it was : This one

...god drat, son. God drat.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I still think the iPad is a pretty stupid, useless idea and I'm clearly in the minority there.

The iPad isn't awesome because of the 'phone games' on it - the iPad is awesome because of all the board games that it has ported to it. Being able to whip out my iPad and play a game of carcassone or ticket to ride with my wife while we're drunk off our asses on the train ride back from a beer festival, or go out and sit under a tree in the park on a nice day and play board games is worth it.

Iacen posted:

I giggled at this, because I imagined Rufus Wainwright singing it. Thank you :)
Rufus is just covering it; that is a Leonard Cohen song.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 29, 2013

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Oh dear. If this trend continues, Secrets of the Universe Alpha will end up with no backers...

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I agree that XBP seems smart enough (which is why he comes off as a shill, because I have never seen someone in such denial over backing the wrong horse), but no, suggesting someone buy something after coming somewhere between heavily implying and directly stating that it would in fact be a mistake is not a made up logical fallacy

Zaphod42 posted:

This is 100% the truth, but all the believers of kickstarter (not just OUYA) don't see it half the time.

So you're pre-ordering something that might not happen. This is the issue with Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a charity website under the guise of a investment website which is often confused for a pre-ordering website.

Phone games on a TV is dumb; they're designed differently. Good phone games are designed to be played in shorter increments, to be episodic; where most console games are designed to give you a couple hours of solid entrenched game and story. Getting phone games on the TV isn't the problem, they're not meant for it. Shoehorning in new controls for something designed for a touchscreen doesn't work great; can you imagine playing angry birds or cut the rope or fruit ninja on an OUYA controller? gently caress that noise.

That said, playing games on your TV period isn't that dumb, I do it myself sometimes. (Although PC is where its at) The dream obviously is that these wouldn't be cell phone games anymore but that cell phone games companies would start making TV games on this cell phone hardware, which is... questionable. Why not just go with the people who know how to do that already?

As for the iPad, its not for everybody, its a niche product. The iPad is for people who want to internet but are scared/uncomfortable with a mouse, keyboard, and sitting at a desk. These people would rather internet by flipping the pages of a newspaper, so whala, perfect product. If you think the iPad is for gaming or for doing your taxes, you're horribly mistaken. Its for simply reading the internet, reading your mail, and maybe reading a word .doc on the way to your next corporate meeting or while sitting on the couch with your grandkids. That said, they've been a fad so I can understand you not seeing that they're a niche product. (although its a pretty big niche, lots of people out there afraid of computers who want a computer, ironically)

I'd personally be very interested in low-tech, less expensive games on the TV developed by people who are actually competent. There are a huge amount of games out even right now for PS3 and X360 like Super Meatboy and the whole Pixeljunk series that I would be very willing to play on my TV with a controller, but I'm not willing to pay $15-20 per title on their respective marketplaces and I'm sure there are people who both agree with me on that and also aren't willing to shell out $200-300 for one of those two consoles because they don't care about the more hardcore games that require the hardware. With Google and Apple having their names on the hardware, it would probably inspire people with actual talent to try and develop for them, but my skepticism comes from this expectation that decent games will emerge spontaneously for a brand new market when taking into account the fact that the overwhelming majority of indie games are complete dogshit because of the razor thin profit margins and the relative difficulty in making good games.

The iPad is something that just isn't intended for someone like me to want, my surprise at it becoming popular was my own mistake in thinking other people were like me. Also I think every single person I know who owns an iPad had it given to them for free by their job. I just thought "wow, $600 for a smartphone with a bigger screen? Why?" I still think that, but I can at least acknowledge "oh, that's why."

The last time I saw someone with one, she was using it to record a video of someone's funeral. So people do have uses for it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They have a few of these at my local game, was very odd seeing one in the flesh.
They are next to the cheaper Gamestick so instantly look bad value...

They look cheap and crappy up close.

Edit - and the poster for both the ooooyah and Gamestick is printed on one piece of paper so I'd suggest that them being together on display will be a running theme, which is funny cos it looks bad value next to the Gamestick.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 29, 2013

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

HotCanadianChick posted:

Rufus is just covering it; that is a Leonard Cohen song.

I just like Wainwright's version v:shobon:v

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

I did not do exactly that. I backed it primarily to support the project and help its success.

So your objective was not to get a thing, but you thought the OUYA offered something so valuable that it needed to make it to market, even though competing superior alternatives exist?

How did your backing of this project make the world a better place?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

I'd say most of us in the OUYA threads have gotten a lot of free entertainment from this whole debacle. It's like a gift!

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

How many pages deep are we and people are still trying to argue logic with Xboxpants?
I still haven't cracked my ouya open. I may do it live on twitch just for kicks.

I showed my 9 year old stepdaughter the box and she made this sour face and goes "why the heck would you order that?"

Good question.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

theflyingorc posted:

So your objective was not to get a thing, but you thought the OUYA offered something so valuable that it needed to make it to market, even though competing superior alternatives exist?

I just don't get why you single out the OUYA so much. Granted, this is the OUYA thread but it's kind of common all over Kickstarter and from the looks of it, they're doing pretty well. I mean someone's kickstarting loving bottle openers for $35 and I know a guy who spent over $2500 on Star Citizen.

I have to defend the pants here, yeah sure, he could've used his money better but it's his money and he can use it as he pleases. He seems to be in one of his sane phases or as close as he gets so I'm willing to cut him some slack. He's not hurting anyone and I often say the OUYA is the best 23 or so million anybody has ever spent to entertain me so yeah, his money made the world a better place by making me laugh.

Edit: I found some OUYAs for sale, they seem to be going for 30 to 40€ and if one stays under 10 I'll buy it just because. Don't need it, got my phone for it. Maybe I'll make it into a flower pot because thermite has been done and I quite like my fingats.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 29, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
19 backers
$686 pledged of $15,000 goal
5 days to go

This is still the equivelent of about 137 games sold on the Ouya, right?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

XboxPants posted:

If the main reason you're giving money to a Kickstarter is to support it, then you're more likely to back at a high tier even if the reward alone is of a questionable value.

Savvy?
I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm going to believe that you only backed the OUYA solely because you liked the idea/theory behind it and had zero (or even just reserved) expectations for the finished product. If that were the case, you wouldn't be writing for a website that is strictly OUYA focused. You'd support the Gamestick, you'd support the Mad Catz console, and you wouldn't come off as so personally invested in this specific product.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Really? Is it? Because I'm pretty sure I can just throw any .apk I feel like on to my android phone, and give it root access if I so please. I don't see where this confidence that this would change on a different android device is coming from. Even setting aside the fact that OUYA is kind of hacker unfriendly, I don't know why it's assumed Google would suddenly change their minds about .apks not from the Play store.

You dont even need to do that. There are emulators on Google Play right now, as I type this, and they're not hard to find.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Morglon posted:

I just don't get why you single out the OUYA so much. Granted, this is the OUYA thread but it's kind of common all over Kickstarter and from the looks of it, they're doing pretty well. I mean someone's kickstarting loving bottle openers for $35 and I know a guy who spent over $2500 on Star Citizen.
I'm calling him out because it isn't true. Without getting the product, he wouldn't have given them any dollars.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Moogle posted:

You heard there was a sweet reward,
On Kickstarter, and you were bored,
And you don't really care for money, do ya?
It goes like this:
The hipster schtick.
Pre-rendered box and fancy stick,
Yves Behar designing dreams for Ouya

Hallelujah. Pally-Ouya. Canny-Ouya.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof,
Controllers running on Bluetooth,
The render on the homepage overthrew ya.
She lied to you without a care,
With crazy eyes and icecream hair,
And from your dreams she drew the mighty Ouya.

Hallelujah. Fancy-Ouya. Schmancy-Ouya.

Julie I've been here before,
I know this scam, I've seen this score,
I backed Pandora 'fore I ever knew ya.
I've seen your tweets on my daily feed,
You spin, evade and just mislead;
It's a hot and it's a broken heap, is Ouya.

Hallelujah. Roasty-Ouya. Toasty-Ouya.

There was a time when you let us know,
What's really going on below,
But now you never show it to us, do ya?
And remember when we tweeted you,
And in reply: @Support - Redtube,
And every graph you drew was classic Ouya.

Hallelujah. Silly-Ouya. Shilly-Ouya.

Maybe boots are on the ground,
But all your early backers found,
Was how you'd fail when fad ideas outgrew ya,
It's not a shill who posts all night,
It's not someone who has seen the light,
Tis a forum full of goons all posting 'screw ya'.

Hallelujah. Scammy-Ouya. Hammy-Ouya.

"You say I took the cash in vain,
Got venture guys caught in my game,
But if I did, well, really, what's it to ya?"
There's bullshit smearing every word,
It doesn't matter which you heard,
The holy or the broken pile that's Ouya.

Hallelujah. Wanky-Ouya. Bloody fooled-ya.
Keep your Ou...ouuu... ya.

You did your best; it wasn't much,
Your software's crap and out of touch,
You lied about the shipping and more fool ya.
And even though it all went wrong,
Still most of Reddit plays along,
When even XBoxPants has seen right through ya...

Hallelujah. Chinese poo-ya. Backers: screwed-ya.
Stick your Ou...ouuu... ya.

vvv should've mentioned it was : This one

Somebody seriously needs to record this. The redtube line was especially brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

quote:

How to cancel a game purchase? (self.ouya)
submitted 2 hours ago by nothingbutt
So I just brought a game for $4.99 with my button mashing while trying to figure out how to start the game. This really sucks. It seems like purchasing is going to be game-specific and easy to accidentally do.
Does anyone know how to cancel a purchase? Do I have to go contest it with my credit card? I'm going to enable the parental control with the hope it'll make it obvious you're buying something.

Neato. Apparently there's an option to enable a PIN code to prevent this, but of course it's not displayed when you're entering your details, because OUYA think mandatory CC details are the key to impulse spending. Speaking of which:

quote:

I like my Ouya console... Really starting to dislike Screw-ya as a company... Parental lockout for game purchases FAIL... (self.ouya)
submitted 2 hours ago by Hopkins3030Limited Edition Backer
So Ouya responds to consumer demand by adding a PIN option to lock out game purchases... then sets it up so that you still cannot see the price of a game until you actually initiate a purchase...
you have to start to buy the game before you can even see the price... and now I have to enter the damned PIN before I can get to see the price of a game, which puts you one accidental button push away from buying something you didn't intend to just because you wanted to see how much the full version costs...
A coincidence?
A happy accident?
Or a socially engineered company sponsored scam?
Thanks, Obama!
and
Screw YOU, Ouya!

Thanks a lot Uhrbama. Here's a bunch of other stuff:

quote:

Multiple PS3 pads ? One = yay, 2+=neh (self.ouya)
submitted 11 hours ago by kramit
Has anyone managed to get more than one PS3 pad hooked up at once? Last night I took my ouya to a friends place to play Mario Kart 64 (why else? :) ). I could sync the ouya pad and one PS3 pad yet trying to sync a second PS3 pad knocked the first one off. Thus Mario Kart was reduced to 2 players rather than 3, this makes all gamers sad :(
So has anyone had any luck syncing more than one PS3 pad?

quote:

Ouya as a web server? (self.ouya)
submitted 15 hours ago by i_play_xboxOUYA Backer
Would it be possible at all to use an ouya as a web server? If it is possible, how would I go about doing that?

quote:

Thinking about developing a game for the Ouya (self.ouya)
submitted 1 hour ago by supercrusher9000
Hello Reddit, I am an Indie developer looking for a good place to publish my first game. As soon as I saw the Ouya and how their is no license fee to develop on it, I wanted to develop a game for it. I was wondering what the owners of the Ouya thought about what games work best for the Ouya. I was thinking about a 2d 16 bit graphic rpg turn based game. Or a 2d 8 bit shoot em up casual(possibly zombie)game. Anyway I would love to hear what the fans of the Ouya would like to see most on the Ouya. Thanks!

Oh ya.

• Locked thread