Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

BraveUlysses posted:

I was using a MAPP torch in my BGE. Maybe it was airflow?

Airflow is key.
I'm still trying to find the best spot for my AMNPS in my MES 30". I did ribs a few weeks ago and they were amazing, and the AMNPS was a champ.
For the shoulders I did on the weekend, it couldn't breathe (I think) because of where I had it placed, and basically didn't smoke for poo poo. So, that'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, I'm not having any luck keeping my Amaz-n-smoker going :arghfist: I was so excited to finally make my own smoked salmon but it looks like this poo poo just isn't going to work out

I have the sawdust version and it's pretty hard to keep lit, but when it goes it works pretty well.

On top of what Siochan said, I think keeping a constant low flame on it seems to work better than rushing it with a torch. Mine came with a tea candle and it seemed to keep it lit better than my impatient prodding with a blowtorch.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

This is what I do for best results with the AMNPS:
- Remove the chip loader completely.
- Pull chip tray out ~3 inches.
- Microwave the pellets I'm using for at least 3 minutes to dry them out.
- Run the torch for at least 60 seconds on the pellets.
- Let the pellets burn with a flame for ~10 minutes.
- Blow out the flame, then blow on the pellets until they're extremely bright.
- Push the burning pellet-coals towards the unburnt pellets.
- Place on the lower rails of the MES.

This seems to work 100% of the time when hot-smoking.

Cold-smoking is tougher because it really requires a draft that you won't always get with no heat involved. I usually just babysit it a little bit when I'm cold-smoking, and relight it if it goes out. I've been thinking about adding some sort of fan to the intake for those occasions.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Do you think you could cold-smoke with an AMNPS in a Weber OTS with the top and bottom vents all the way open? I was thinking about grabbing one to do salmon, cheese and salt.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 27, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I do that in my Weber with the sawdust smoker

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I use a hand made char griller made by an artist in Conroe down here in Texas, its about a decade old; Cooked this on them over the past few weeks:

and

Doc Science
Jan 7, 2010
Read through parts but not all of this thread, good god I need some ribs now, looking at you in particular Secret Spoon, and Thrasher. One thing I'm left wondering is if there's any option to get a big green egg on the cheap? I'd want a smaller one forreal, it'd be for just me and maybe one or two friends, they still seem to run into the mid-hundreds though. That's pretty steep for a grill even if it does cook dank ribs.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
You should post pics of the artists hand made char griller.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cheapest option for the BGE is Craigslist. If not there than a local egg fest or a BBQ place desperate and going out of business.

That being said I've been doing a lot of slow smoking but tonight taking it easy and doing burgers. The BGE rules at both and giving a nice little smoky taste to those. It's really pretty awesome.

Also I wouldn't go smaller than a medium and am happy I got my large.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's hard to cook enough ribs at once on a large BGE... I can do 3 racks of baby backs without using a two-tier SETUP. Smaller eggs are even harder to find because large eggs are most common.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
There's always the XXL option too, though I've never seen one for sale

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/xxl-is-a-big-hit/ :byodood:

Doc Science
Jan 7, 2010
Hmmm, maybe I'll look for at least a large then, it seems kind of excessive but I'd feel bad if I didn't have enough ribs for everyone, and 3 racks isn't ALL that much if you've got some company. I can't believe I didn't think to check CL, I guess since BGEs are kind of new to me it didn't even occur that there might be people who'd want to sell their used ones....I'm dumb. Going out of business sale is a good idea too, thanks y'all, hope everyone is having a good weekend. If I find any incredible deals I'll post 'em. If I do find one on CL does anyone have any good tips for buying secondhand? I'll start by swinging through my local hardware store to look at some new ones just for a benchmark I guess.

edit: grammar and spelling, also, the XXL is incredible but I have a feeling it will cost more than my car...thanks for the heads up though.

Doc Science fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 29, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Fortunately BGEs don't really have any wear parts, just the occasional cracking of the internal ceramic parts, which are still useable but can help you negotiate a better price. I've found two large BGEs for 500 in Seattle where they are much less common than in the south.

FYI eggs older than 2000 are rare but they don't allow for high temp cooking

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

ixo posted:

There's always the XXL option too, though I've never seen one for sale

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/xxl-is-a-big-hit/ :byodood:

OMG. my local dealer told us this was in the works but they thought it was going to be another year and a half or so. I so want one.

Speaking of hi temp cooking, did some burgers last night on my egg, forgot I left the dampers wide open, came out ten mins later and the temp guage was wrapped back around to 250. I figure thats pretty close to 1000 :)

niss fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 30, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

2 grand for the xxl is what I've heard. I imagine you'd need a crane to lift the base though!

And you can put more than 3 racks on a large. Roll them or use a rib rack and you're fine.

Doc Science
Jan 7, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Fortunately BGEs don't really have any wear parts, just the occasional cracking of the internal ceramic parts, which are still useable but can help you negotiate a better price. I've found two large BGEs for 500 in Seattle where they are much less common than in the south.

FYI eggs older than 2000 are rare but they don't allow for high temp cooking

Alright, Good information thanks a bunch BraveUlysses! Another week or two saving and I'll be in the market for a large. Will report back with findings and hopefully some sweet pictures of epic meat.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I've never used a Big Green Egg, but it almost seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't yet exist. Does it get up to brick oven temps for pizza? That could potentially make it worth buying a used one, if it were a viable substitute, but it seems a lot of people recommend them as a smoker.

For low heat smoking, you still need to have ample and adequate airflow in order for the smoke itself not to stagnate and become acrid. So, in properly smoking, I don't see how the investment pays dividends over, say, a Weber Bullet, if you're dedicated to charcoal.

What are its other benefits that justify its price (and ridiculous weight)?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My beer can chicken didn't do any of the beer canny part. What did I do wrong ?

I used the propane grill, kept the temp around 225, and waited for the thick thigh to get to 180*. I pulled the can out and cut open the chicken, and it wasn't cooked completely. The beer in the beer can didn't even boil. Should I have cooked at a higher temp for a shorter time ?

Chicken is currently on the upper rack cooking at 325 to get it up to temp now, without the can.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I made 4 racks of beef ribs tonight for some drunk people. Thank god they were drunk cuz they were chewy as poo poo. I used to think I was good at making these but now I'm starting to wonder if it was just luck, because the last few times I've made them they have been awfully tough.

I guess you get what you pay for at $0.99/lb.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PainBreak posted:

I've never used a Big Green Egg, but it almost seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't yet exist. Does it get up to brick oven temps for pizza? That could potentially make it worth buying a used one, if it were a viable substitute, but it seems a lot of people recommend them as a smoker.

For low heat smoking, you still need to have ample and adequate airflow in order for the smoke itself not to stagnate and become acrid. So, in properly smoking, I don't see how the investment pays dividends over, say, a Weber Bullet, if you're dedicated to charcoal.

It'll get to 1000f. 800f for pizza is easy for sure.

I'm not following your logic on airflow. It has great airflow and holds temps very well so charcoal usage is anemic. I can use my WSM but the BGE can set any temp up to 1000 and it holds 240 longer with less adjustments than my WSM. You know it has a fully adjustable top for airflow as well, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

jonathan posted:

I used the propane grill, kept the temp around 225, and waited for the thick thigh to get to 180*. I pulled the can out and cut open the chicken, and it wasn't cooked completely. The beer in the beer can didn't even boil. Should I have cooked at a higher temp for a shorter time ?

Chicken is currently on the upper rack cooking at 325 to get it up to temp now, without the can.

Every time I've done beer can chicken, it was at grilling temps, not smoking temps. Is it even possible at 225?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 30, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PainBreak posted:

The BGE is just the American version of a kamodo grill which has been used for thousands of years in Asia.

The ceramic body retains heat very, very well which allows for very stable temperature control and extremely moist food.

I love it because it's a great all in one tool which allows for smoking, grilling and high temp baking or pizza making.

Who cares how heavy it is? What a dumb thing to complain about.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

PainBreak posted:

It's like anything else involved when you want the best of the best. Your simply going to have to pay insanely more. I love my WSM and have never had issues holding temp, but granted I also had to spend more time fidgeting with the airflow. As most people in this thread stated, it holds temps much better due to the ceramic design and can equally do hot cooking well. It's basically boils down the the law of diminishing returns and the people who are willing to pay for the best of the best are willing to purchase a big green egg.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

jonathan posted:

You can generally cook chickens at a higher temp, even when smoking. How long was the chicken on the smoker?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

jonathan posted:

Beer can chicken is a total gimmick. Even if the beer boiled, it would do nothing for your chicken.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Also, this. Just butterfly/spatchcock the bird and be done with it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Brining with a salt/sugar solution and spatchcocking rekindled my love of grilled chicken.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the Beercan debunk link. After finishing the chicken, it was the shits. The asparagus had to wait for the chicken and became cold and rubbery. I wish I came here first before attempting that poo poo. Luckily I was only cooking for myself and the old lady, and not guests, because that would have been shameful.

A spatchcock'ed chicken cooked properly and brined vs a smoked chicken, what are the differences ?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Interesting... when I beercanned I had to remove the wings partway through because they'd be done early while the rest was still cooking. Going to try the vertical roaster next time...

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

jonathan posted:

Thanks for the Beercan debunk link. After finishing the chicken, it was the shits. The asparagus had to wait for the chicken and became cold and rubbery. I wish I came here first before attempting that poo poo. Luckily I was only cooking for myself and the old lady, and not guests, because that would have been shameful.

A spatchcock'ed chicken cooked properly and brined vs a smoked chicken, what are the differences ?

You can smoke a brined and spatchcocked chicken, or grill it. Obviously, the smoker will add the smoke flavor, but thats pretty much it.
I smoke my chickens at a higher temp (300-350) than other meats.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

BraveUlysses posted:

It's hard to cook enough ribs at once on a large BGE... I can do 3 racks of baby backs without using a two-tier SETUP. Smaller eggs are even harder to find because large eggs are most common.

You can do 5 maybe 6 racks on a large BGE easily if you use a rib rack.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

BraveUlysses posted:

The BGE is just the American version of a kamodo grill which has been used for thousands of years in Asia...

I bought the Chargriller ACORN. Mostly because I am devoted to real charcoal and a Seattle climate that rusts everything. I thought in might not rust-out in a few years because it's all sealed up.

Using it was a revelation. I light it and run it up to 600 make some burgers, get nice smoke and char then shut the vents. Next night tap the charcoal holder to remove ash, light it and take it up to 400 to grill some chicken and close the vents. Perfect chicken.

Today I'm doing kebabs so i light it, add coals and run it with the vents full open, it's like a charcoal chimney with a grill on top. Kebabs are deep red-brown and pink on the inside just beautiful. Close the vents and it's in shut-down. Should take a few hours before I can put the cover on.

I love this thing and don't even know what I am missing for buying the knock-off.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BraveUlysses posted:

The BGE is just the American version of a kamodo grill which has been used for thousands of years in Asia.

To boil rice.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Also, this. Just butterfly/spatchcock the bird and be done with it.

Yup. Brine it and make sure to get the rub under the skin.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I'm planning on doing a 5 lb bone-in rib roast on my Vision Kamado instead of the oven for the 4th, because...gently caress yeah :dance: it's a massive delicious bit of beef and I've started cooking damned near everything on that thing. I am wondering if anyone has any experience to share on doing a rib roast like this? I'm thinking of 225-250 till I hit an internal around 118 to 120 before I pull it (around 4 hrs?), but I can't make up my mind on doing a pre or post sear or about adding a little smoke from cherry or apple and such. Also, what and how to do the drippings?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Engineer posted:

I'm planning on doing a 5 lb bone-in rib roast on my Vision Kamado instead of the oven for the 4th, because...gently caress yeah :dance: it's a massive delicious bit of beef and I've started cooking damned near everything on that thing. I am wondering if anyone has any experience to share on doing a rib roast like this? I'm thinking of 225-250 till I hit an internal around 118 to 120 before I pull it (around 4 hrs?), but I can't make up my mind on doing a pre or post sear or about adding a little smoke from cherry or apple and such. Also, what and how to do the drippings?

Is that grill the one at Costco? If so how do you like it?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Safety Engineer posted:

I did this once and it came out oversmoked. Use a very, very light touch with the smoke. A handful of cherry chips is probably best.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Ezrem posted:

Is that grill the one at Costco? If so how do you like it?

I love it, I'd toyed with the idea of getting a Big Green Egg for years after my buddy got one but couldn't bring myself to spend the $800(if I was lucky)-$1200 to get a decent setup. When I saw the vision at costco this spring my wife insisted I at least try it out since we could always take it back without a hassle if It ended up not working out.

It's been the best purchase I've made in a long time. I've played with my friends Egg a few times in the past and I honestly would choose the vision again without a second thought. You just get so much bang for your buck, hell even my friend said he'd do the same after I showed it to him.

I'm even happier with it right now than I was after what happened this afternoon at costco. I was picking up a few things and noticed that it was now on sale for $399 (Down from the $569 I paid 4 months ago). Went up to customer service and walked away 5 minutes later with the price difference without the slightest hassle.

coronaball posted:

I did this once and it came out oversmoked. Use a very, very light touch with the smoke. A handful of cherry chips is probably best.
Aye, I learned that lesson after my first chicken on the kamado. I think I'm going to go with a light amount of chips for maybe the first half hour or so and leave it at that.

Safety Engineer fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 4, 2013

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
4th of July BBQ cooking has commenced at casa del vulturesrow. First up, 10 lb butt to be followed in the early AM by smallish brisket (just the flat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Engineer posted:

I love it, I'd toyed with the idea of getting a Big Green Egg for years after my buddy got one but couldn't bring myself to spend the $800(if I was lucky)-$1200 to get a decent setup. When I saw the vision at costco this spring my wife insisted I at least try it out since we could always take it back without a hassle if It ended up not working out.

It's been the best purchase I've made in a long time. I've played with my friends Egg a few times in the past and I honestly would choose the vision again without a second thought. You just get so much bang for your buck, hell even my friend said he'd do the same after I showed it to him.

I'm even happier with it right now than I was after what happened this afternoon at costco. I was picking up a few things and noticed that it was now on sale for $399 (Down from the $569 I paid 4 months ago). Went up to customer service and walked away 5 minutes later with the price difference without the slightest hassle.

Aye, I learned that lesson after my first chicken on the kamado. I think I'm going to go with a light amount of chips for maybe the first half hour or so and leave it at that.

Great to hear. I've actually been waiting to try to snag one of these at the 399 clearance price. What part of the country are you in? I'm not sure how Costco clearances work, if it is the same everywhere at once or if they vary.