Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Don Volante posted:

Is it possible to file a Paypal chargeback with my credit card company if my credit card was never actually involved? The money I sent just came out of my Paypal balance.

No, you'll need to use the PayPal dispute process. Cross your fingers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

baquerd posted:

No, you'll need to use the PayPal dispute process. Cross your fingers!

Crap. Paypal's telling me I can't file a dispute because my payment wasn't for a purchase of goods/services, but I'm almost certain I wouldn't have been stupid enough to send a "gift" payment.

edit--just had a chat with Paypal customer service and apparently I did send the payment as a personal transaction but the nice Indian call-center lady told me she could refund it as a "one-time courtesy." That's gotta be one of the few times I've actually had a positive experience with any company's customer service!

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I've never understood why gas prices such a big deal in the US, both political and to the average person. I pay more for food than I do gas, I pay more for utilities, I pay more for my phone/internet, and I pay many more times for rent. You never heard people talking about these prices, but if gas goes up 10 cents, you had better bet it will be on the news and people will complain about it even if its just costing them a few dollars a week. Especially since gas in every other country is several times more expansive.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

I've never understood why gas prices such a big deal in the US, both political and to the average person. I pay more for food than I do gas, I pay more for utilities, I pay more for my phone/internet, and I pay many more times for rent. You never heard people talking about these prices, but if gas goes up 10 cents, you had better bet it will be on the news and people will complain about it even if its just costing them a few dollars a week.

American car cultures are seriously weird. It's a huge status thing to own a fleet of the gas guzzlingest SUVs and sports cars you can while living in a trailer. The "freedom" of the open road is practically Orwellian and yes, we will fight wars on foreign soil to keep the price down, never mind that most of our oil comes from Canada and South America.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
^^^Edit: I don't think this is really fair for most people in the US. The way our cities and towns are laid out you often don't have a choice but to own a car. SUVs were big for a little while but have really died off lately. More people drive pick-up trucks than have any practical need for them though so there is that.

Xenoborg posted:

I've never understood why gas prices such a big deal in the US, both political and to the average person. I pay more for food than I do gas, I pay more for utilities, I pay more for my phone/internet, and I pay many more times for rent. You never heard people talking about these prices, but if gas goes up 10 cents, you had better bet it will be on the news and people will complain about it even if its just costing them a few dollars a week. Especially since gas in every other country is several times more expansive.

There are a few facets to this. First off, gas prices are very visible. Gas stations all have gigantic signs with the price so you can see immediately when the price has gone up. If milk went up .10 I don't know that I'd notice.

Second, high gas has an impact on pretty much every other industry. Product has to be shipped places, and when gas goes up distribution prices go up on everything which increases the price of most stuff.

Finally, I do agree with you on the micro scale for small increases. A .10 increase is, to me, a cost of living increase of about $1/week. But when we were all used to prices being generally low for so long and it went from .99 to $4 in a couple years that is around $30 per week, for me, and a lot more for other people, and that's a huge jump.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 28, 2013

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Gas prices are crucial to a lot of americans. If I can't afford my gas, I can't get to work, or visit family, or bring groceries home (the nearest grocery store is 5 miles). If bread doubles in price I'll just not have sandwiches that week. If gas prices change there is no alternative, I have to bend over.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Xenoborg posted:

A lot of it (for me at least) is perspective. When I was first driving about 15 years ago, gas in my area was under $2.00/gal. Now, it's about doubled, which is faster than it used to rise. It was under $2.00 for most of my childhood.

And yes, you might be lucky enough to live and work and play in areas that are close to each other that you aren't spending a fortune on gas, or you have a fuel efficient car. Good for you.

I was in a lovely situation where I had to travel over an hour to get to my minimum wage job, in an old beater car. It came down to situations where I had to funnel most of my paycheck back into gas for my car, so I could get to and from work, to pay for my gas...

Thankfully I'm out of that situation, but sometimes you just find yourself in a bad way, and anything that increases your cost of living can make it difficult to live.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Most US cities have horrible alternatives to driving your car everywhere. Our entire infrastructure was built around the idea of cheap readily available fuel.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

I would agree with what other people have said, but I think another factor is that many people tend to believe that the government determines gas prices. So when prices rise, it automatically becomes the president's fault.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Finally, I do agree with you on the micro scale for small increases. A .10 increase is, to me, a cost of living increase of about $1/week.

For a lot of people who have long commutes or who drive around a lot for whatever reasons (taking kids to activities, visiting relatives, etc.) and have older cars, you could be looking at one, two tanks a week and 10 cents would a big increase to them. :-/

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tarepanda posted:

For a lot of people who have long commutes or who drive around a lot for whatever reasons (taking kids to activities, visiting relatives, etc.) and have older cars, you could be looking at one, two tanks a week and 10 cents would a big increase to them. :-/

My roommate and I will only buy groceries at Bi-Lo because of fuelperks. Fifteen cents a gallon off might not sound like a lot but that poo poo adds up really quick.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Ron Don Volante posted:

I would agree with what other people have said, but I think another factor is that many people tend to believe that the government determines gas prices. So when prices rise, it automatically becomes the president's fault.

From the Political Cartoons Megathread:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

This might be the first honestly good political cartoon I've ever seen. You could put literally any President there and it would still make sense. I have never seen another cartoon for which this is true.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think if there was a giant sign by the side of the road that you pass by every day with the price of milk that changes sometimes multiple times a day you would be more aware of price fluctuations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

razorrozar posted:

This might be the first honestly good political cartoon I've ever seen. You could put literally any President there and it would still make sense. I have never seen another cartoon for which this is true.

The best one I've ever seen was after the DOMA overturn -- it had Lady Justice hugging Lady Liberty.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

tarepanda posted:

Two tanks a week, assuming you're putting in 20 each time (which is a lot) comes out to $4/week for a 10 cent increase. I'm not going to say that nobody will feel a pinch from $4/week, but that set of people is a lot smaller than the set of people that freak out over a 10 cent increase.

Now when you have a ten cent increase one month, then the next, then the next etc. and it never goes back down? That's when you get a problem.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

User-Friendly posted:

Historical revisionism?

Thanks for trying but nope. It's one super specific word that means something close to what I described.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Xenoborg posted:

To add to other theories I think it's a lasting effect of the 70's oil crisis. Our almighty nation was virtually powerless against foreign powers over oil. There was a direct cause and effect that was a serious pain at a time when there were still a lot of individual smaller petroleum reliant businesses, and the US was built out in an cheap energy time, much unlike most other nations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Would anybody possibly be able to identify this painting for me. It was my grandmother's and then she passed so it's mine now. I've spent hours and hours staring at it over the years and have come to really love it.

http://i.imgur.com/x9PApxY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/an98FpP.jpg

It's about 5' x 3' and the signature appears to be E. Cabin?

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to move it from my house to hers (about 10 miles). Apparently canvas is extremely fragile and I would be crushed if anything happened to it

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thehandtruck posted:

Would anybody possibly be able to identify this painting for me. It was my grandmother's and then she passed so it's mine now. I've spent hours and hours staring at it over the years and have come to really love it.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to move it from my house to hers (about 10 miles). Apparently canvas is extremely fragile and I would be crushed if anything happened to it

After a cursory search of Wikipedia, I can't find any painters named "E. Cabin", for any time period. Googling "e cabin painting" proved unfruitful, and reverse image search finds nothing even visually similar (that's actually a painting).

Sorry :( but your painting seems to not exist. Maybe it's an inheritance, done by a family member? Check your family genealogy and see if the name Cabin shows up anywhere.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Since it was your grandmother's, it was probably fairly old and if the artist wasn't all that famous, you're unlikely to find out who painted it.

As for transport, I mean, be careful with it, but for 10 miles you could probably just put it face up in your car (maybe wrap it with bubble wrap?) and it'll be fine.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Well dang it. Thanks anyway guys.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 29, 2013

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

What cord(s)/adapter should I use to port data from a 2010 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
When buying shoes without laces (like this http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/alfani-shoes-ace-moc-toe-slip-on-with-bit-keeper-shoes?ID=646462), would it be best to down half a size to adjust for the inability to tighten the fit with laces? Or do the shoe dimensions take this into account?I normally wear 10.5, so should I order a 10.5 or 10?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
A friend of mine is arguing that the word niggardly (stingy, cheap) is unrelated to the word friend of the family, whereas I'm pretty sure the former is the root word.
Any links that could help my argument to make him stop using it?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Mister Macys posted:

A friend of mine is arguing that the word niggardly (stingy, cheap) is unrelated to the word friend of the family, whereas I'm pretty sure the former is the root word.

There's a whole wikipedia article about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Centzon Totochtin posted:

When buying shoes without laces (like this http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/alfani-shoes-ace-moc-toe-slip-on-with-bit-keeper-shoes?ID=646462), would it be best to down half a size to adjust for the inability to tighten the fit with laces? Or do the shoe dimensions take this into account?I normally wear 10.5, so should I order a 10.5 or 10?

Shoe sizing, much like all clothing, is not consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, and often not from style to style. You should buy them in your true size though, just like all shoes, because that is determined by the dimensions of your foot. It sounds like you have been buying shoes that are too large?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
My sneakers are 10.5 and they're a good fit. I have several pairs of dress shoes at 10.5 with superfeet inserts in them and they're a bit snugger, but still comfortable. I just never never had any shoes in this style.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

aude omnia posted:

What cord(s)/adapter should I use to port data from a 2010 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air?

Apple has a program called Migration Assistant that can help you out. Works over your local network, though of course a wired connection will be faster than a wireless one.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is there a thread where people can give vague recollections of past threads, hoping someone can identify it? Yeah, I know.

Since there probably isn't and this is probably the best thread to ask, there was a CYOA thread about a hapless scientist a few years ago. It involved bees, and possibly a time machine. What was it called?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

As pylb pointed out, your friend is right. In fact, there's a Supreme Court opinion (Adickes v. Kress) opposing segregation where Justice Douglas uses it:

quote:

It is time we stopped being niggardly in construing civil rights legislation. It is time we kept up with Congress and construed its laws in the full amplitude needed to rid their enforcement of the lingering tolerance for racial discrimination that we sanction today.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Is there a thread where people can give vague recollections of past threads, hoping someone can identify it? Yeah, I know.

Since there probably isn't and this is probably the best thread to ask, there was a CYOA thread about a hapless scientist a few years ago. It involved bees, and possibly a time machine. What was it called?

There in fact is!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

thehandtruck posted:

It looked more like a G than a C to me at first glance, so some cursory googling along that line came up with E. Garin, whose signature seems to match, and he was considered the patriarch of the modern seascape painting.

I haven't had any luck locating exactly that painting, though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

As pointed out, he's right and you're wrong. If you want to make him stop using it, point out that other people are under the same misconception you were and he should stop saying it if he doesn't want people to think he's racist. Me, I don't use the "call a spade" idiom because lots of people erroneously believe it's a slur.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I wanted to mail a bottle of brewed coffee (or espresso), would it spoil by the time it arrived? It would probably take 2-3 days.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

change my name posted:

If I wanted to mail a bottle of brewed coffee (or espresso), would it spoil by the time it arrived? It would probably take 2-3 days.

Probably. Set a cup on your front porch for 3 days and see if it meets your high standards.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Probably. Set a cup on your front porch for 3 days and see if it meets your high standards.

Leaving something open and outside for three days will not be the same as it being in a sealed bottle in a box for three days.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Mister Macys posted:

It was news to me that the two words were unrelated. I'd imagine the percentage of the population that knows the origin of both words is going to be pretty low. Not a word you are going to find most people using and I'd just avoid it (especially in a professional situation).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sieg posted:

It was news to me that the two words were unrelated. I'd imagine the percentage of the population that knows the origin of both words is going to be pretty low. Not a word you are going to find most people using and I'd just avoid it (especially in a professional situation).

I once got a call from HR because I used the phrase, "niggling details."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sieg posted:

There's a scene in 'The War'* where two kids get into a fight about the origins of the word niggardly and while it's technically unrelated probably best to just retire it.

Not sure about niggling but it should probably go in the word graveyard too, considering all the new words that get made up from the internet.

*I couldn't find the exact scene because The War is a pretty vague title to google. I just remembered the part about life being a bowl full of cherries.