Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I want a sports bike. I have never ridden one. How do I learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

beergod posted:

I want a sports bike. I have never ridden one. How do I learn?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497554

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This. Buy helmet, get permit, take MSF, buy gear, buy Ninja 250, pick up All The Ladies.*

*They have to walk alongside 'cause the 250 has a 300lb weight limit.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Looks like the guy sold that sv650 i asked about in the last page :(

I found this other one, but its called a gladius, Its still the same thing right? This one is from a dealer, and it looks like it has pretty low miles.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Suzuki-Gladius-110565521

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powerstone posted:

Looks like the guy sold that sv650 i asked about in the last page :(

I found this other one, but its called a gladius, Its still the same thing right? This one is from a dealer, and it looks like it has pretty low miles.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Suzuki-Gladius-110565521

It's got the same (or 99% similar) engine, driveline, suspension, brakes etc. But the frame is a part-steel trellis jobbie instead of an alloy trellis like the outgoing SV. I've never ridden one so I can't comment on whether that's noticeably different or not. Also has all of the SV650's incremental engine improvements already.

Here in NZ the SV-S and the Gladius are sold alongside eachother because the gladius doesn't have a half-faired option and they're both basically identical functionally.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

What bike should I buy?

I just got rid of my 1988 Honda NX250 and I would like move on to something bigger and faster. I bought it in boxes and put it together. It was fun to zip around on and it got me into the swing of riding on the street and I got my license with it. Prior to that, I rode dirt for many years on CR125/250s.

Function: I would commute to work, drive around the city, hopefully be able to do some longer trips, some motocamping, and buy some groceries with a rare bought of hooliganism thrown in. Basically a do it all kind of bike.

Cost: Under $2k would be ideal. Mechanically, I can handle almost anything, but I'd rather buy something ready to go as I just went through the process of sorting out the last bike I had. If money were no object, I would get a GS1200/KTM 950 with some hard cases and call it a day.

Requirements:
No sport bikes.
Thumpers or Twins. No 4s

On my short list is the SV650, KLR650, old BMWs, DRZ400, and DL650.

What else should I be considering?

Here is what is available in the area just for an example.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3794920554.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3812091120.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3838762188.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3890767256.html

Texibus
May 18, 2008
For those of you who helped with my bike search I ended up with the CB500F w/ ABS and have been riding the poo poo out of it since I got it Saturday with a big gumpy smile smeared across my enclosed face nearly the entire time. (I panicked once at a light because I killed the drat engine by being in second and letting the clutch out too fast, otherwise it'd be all the time)

I think it's the right size bike for me to learn on and I got it for an ok deal, $6500 out the door.

Thanks again guys!

*Edit:You got it! I'll snap some pictures off tonight, and I'll do my best to answer any questions. However, it is my first bike so not so sure how great I'd be at answering questions.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 24, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You should post some pics and a bit about it if you stop riding it for a minute, I think you might be the first owner of the new 500 on here.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

ThirstyBuck posted:

What bike should I buy?

Thumpers or Twins. No 4s

First thing that came to mind, reading your post, was a KLR. That said, I'm new, so feel free to not listen to me.

Why no 4s? Just a mechanical complexity thing or what?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Obviously the dude needs a Street Triple. Probably be a neat trick finding one for under 2 grand,though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

PadreScout posted:

Obviously the dude needs a Street Triple. Probably be a neat trick finding one for under 2 grand,though.

Under two grand it would have to have been wadded and rebuilt out of cardboard.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Also, casting my vote for DRZ. Best bike to actually learn how to ride on ever. After you've spent some time losing traction in turns on dirt, locking up and sliding your front on wet grass, and mantling logs nothing will ever faze you on the street. Also easiest and "safest" bike to learn wheelies on, the suspension takes it well, the power to weight is perfect for it and if you drop it the tears will be minimal. I know because I've dropped mine tons.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

TheNothingNew posted:

First thing that came to mind, reading your post, was a KLR. That said, I'm new, so feel free to not listen to me.

Different feeling.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ThirstyBuck posted:

What else should I be considering?

XB9S or XB12S.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheNothingNew posted:

A couple reasons: I like how singles and vtwins sound, dislike how 4s sound, and their complexity.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Also, casting my vote for DRZ. Best bike to actually learn how to ride on ever. After you've spent some time losing traction in turns on dirt, locking up and sliding your front on wet grass, and mantling logs nothing will ever faze you on the street. Also easiest and "safest" bike to learn wheelies on, the suspension takes it well, the power to weight is perfect for it and if you drop it the tears will be minimal. I know because I've dropped mine tons.

DRZ is down on the list. I've got 20 years of experience so I'm not learning to ride and I'd like something a little less dirt bike like.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

I used to post in AI a lot, had a couple S2000s, but honestly have gotten away from cars.

Lately I've been wanting a dual sport. I grew up riding dirtbikes, but it's been a long time. I've been looking at the KLR650 and the F650GS, probably leaning more towards the F650GS. I've read that the KLR650 kinda has trouble maintaining ~70mph or so, which would be a bit of problem since I live in Texas and the speed limit for most roads is 70-75. I do want to take it out into the dirt a lot, so I want to be capable, not just for fire roads and such. Is there a possible compromise for the 2, or not really?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ThirstyBuck posted:

A couple reasons: I like how singles and vtwins sound, dislike how 4s sound, and their complexity.

I've heard this said before and I honestly don't get it. I've owned both v-twins and fours and found the twins aren't really any 'simpler' because they tend to have a more jumbled general layout and there are two heads with two timing systems to contend with, as well as more awkward transmission packaging. The complexity difference is neglible if we're talking semi-modern DOHC bikes, V4's and Ducati's aside. Parallel twins are almost certainly the easiest multi-cylinder layout to gently caress with though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fours have twice the spark plugs as a twin, twice (sometimes even 4x) the throttle bodies to sync, and usually more valves to adjust. Generally speaking - as somebody who tries to do all my own regular maintenance - I'd rather own a twin.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, I've returned to pondering, and decided that rather than get another beater bike and hope nobody steals it or sets it on fire yet again, I should just figure out some paid indoor parking and get a semi-decent bike. So I'm bumping up my search a notch from the Ninja 500 and the Suzuki GS500, and looking at their slightly nicer older siblings, the Ninja 650 and the SV650. As much as I'd like to get the Ninja for brand continuity, it just doesn't have the long-term track record of the SV, nowhere near the aftermarket, fewer used bikes on the market, and they've only sold the naked version in the US for 3-4 years. I've found a few folks that prefer the Ninja, and I've seen a few claim it's narrower-body and thus easier for short riders, but otherwise the internet wisdom seems heavily in favour of the SV.

I'm pretty sure these two bikes are the main contenders, since I don't feel I need more than 75 or whatever horsepower, and bikes like the Honda 599/600 CBR, Yamaha Fazer, etc have even less used market and aftermarket than the Ninja. And as noted I don't want to pay Ducati Monster money nor have I a hard-on for the brand name despite the lovely lines, and the KTM 390 isn't out in the US yet.

1) Any burning reason I should look harder before discounting the Ninja 650? It's not at all reasonable, if I want a naked, to buy a older Ninja and pay someone to remove the front fairing and re-mount/replace the controls accordingly, is it? I tried it myself on the 500, but honestly I suck at anything beyond basic mechanical stuff and would be happier putting in extra overtime at work and paying someone so it doesn't look like rear end and doesn't fall apart because I don't know how to re-wire properly.

2) If I go for the SV650, any general advice on buying one, given I'm agnostic on the FI issue? My goal is to have a naked sport-standard that looks relatively traditional. Like if you squint it vaguely resembles a more aggressive evolution of an old BSA or Norton. Sure, I realise a Triumph Speed Triple is kind of like that too, but see above re: Ducati.

I need to lock on safe parking first, but once I get that I believe I'll be on the market for the nakedest form of SV650 I can find (bucket headlight and all), hopefully no more than $3500 or so and I'm fine with (or would even prefer) middling cosmetic condition if it's mechanically fine. Then just a lower seat for my 29" inseam self, some kind of bar-end mirrors, and I think I'd be good.

Anything wrong with this plan, or general suggestions?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Fours have twice the spark plugs as a twin, twice (sometimes even 4x) the throttle bodies to sync, and usually more valves to adjust. Generally speaking - as somebody who tries to do all my own regular maintenance - I'd rather own a twin.

Most twins have one spark plug in a loving awful location though - it's tank, airbox and (unless you have the flexibility of a concert-piano-playing gynecologist) battery box off to do the back spark plug on the Shiver, and I've had Ducati owners laugh in my face when I complain about that compared to what the L-twins are like.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've had Ducati owners laugh in my face when

To be fair, they may not have even heard what you said. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

To be fair, they may not have even heard what you said. :v:

That's true, if their engines were running they wouldn't have heard anything at all because of the spin dryer full of bolts and broken crockery that Ducati call a clutch.

Of course the engine doesn't normally run for long enough for them to suffer hearing loss...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most twins have one spark plug in a loving awful location though - it's tank, airbox and (unless you have the flexibility of a concert-piano-playing gynecologist) battery box off to do the back spark plug on the Shiver, and I've had Ducati owners laugh in my face when I complain about that compared to what the L-twins are like.

Eh the 999 is about the easiest bike I've ever worked on. 2 bolts and 2 hoses remove the entire tank, seat, and subframe plastics. From there, you can change belts without pulling the airbox (although you have to remove a breather box), plugs can be done without pulling the radiator or airbox. Clutch is obviously pretty easy. Will let you know how I feel about it after I check the valves...:v:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

I used to post in AI a lot, had a couple S2000s, but honestly have gotten away from cars.

Lately I've been wanting a dual sport. I grew up riding dirtbikes, but it's been a long time. I've been looking at the KLR650 and the F650GS, probably leaning more towards the F650GS. I've read that the KLR650 kinda has trouble maintaining ~70mph or so, which would be a bit of problem since I live in Texas and the speed limit for most roads is 70-75. I do want to take it out into the dirt a lot, so I want to be capable, not just for fire roads and such. Is there a possible compromise for the 2, or not really?

Get a DRZ400S or a WR250R. Both will do 70 (though not much more) and are lightweight and excellent offroad. If you get the heavier bikes I fear you'll find they are pigs anywhere that's not a fire road. The top speed thing is a problem just because you'll not find something that is dirt capable without sacrificing top speed, and vice-versa. Well, unless you want to go sick and get a euro bike, but then you're talking about short maintenance intervals and much more money.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

I don't mind spending money on it, I'm probably going to sell my current car for the bike. I really like the KTM 640 Adventure, but they're impossible to find. What Euro bikes would you recommend?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

I don't mind spending money on it, I'm probably going to sell my current car for the bike. I really like the KTM 640 Adventure, but they're impossible to find. What Euro bikes would you recommend?

Now you're getting into an area that I know less about. It kinda depends what dealers are in your area. I have heard wonderful things about the KTM 690 Enduro, however. It's got double the output of the DRZ, weighs about the same, and is just as usable on dirt. I'm sure as with all enduros it sucks on the highway, but it does have the horsepower to do it. I really want to get the supermoto version next year.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

WR250R is a loving blast. MotoMind managed to somehow get a speeding ticket at 84 or so on one. 55mpg and is based on the R1's engine so the valve adjustment intervals are pretty far between. It's the perfect fuckaround dirt/street thing. If you don't care about money nor maintenance intensity, the KTM690E is great too, and sometimes you can even luck out on an SMC and get a set of E tires/rims to go along with it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Goddamnit, I'm in the middle of a stupid 2 year RD400 project that's fighting me at every turn and I just wanna buy a loving DRZ400 so I have something fun and reliable. All I want is a supermoto. I've already been looking at craigslist for the whole state for a couple days.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Sell your project in pieces and buy someone else's finished RD for pennies on the dollar.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

When you say "F650GS", do you mean the newer 2007+ parallel twin bikes, or the older single cylinders (now known as the G650 series)? The current F-twin series bikes are definitely more of a street vs dirt compromise, at least in the non-adventure trim, whereas the single cylinder bikes are lighter and if you get something in the "dakar" or "sertao" range can be good off road, you're talking a fairly light bike with 50 hp, it can do 80+ all day on the highway if need be.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

n8r posted:

Sell your project in pieces and buy someone else's finished RD for pennies on the dollar.

Ideally I would just keep the RD, but I need to find the money somehow.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I know this game. The rear one on the Buell is fun to try and get at. I think the air box comes off to do it. Can't even blame it on tiny Japanese hands.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

ThatCguy posted:

When you say "F650GS", do you mean the newer 2007+ parallel twin bikes, or the older single cylinders (now known as the G650 series)? The current F-twin series bikes are definitely more of a street vs dirt compromise, at least in the non-adventure trim, whereas the single cylinder bikes are lighter and if you get something in the "dakar" or "sertao" range can be good off road, you're talking a fairly light bike with 50 hp, it can do 80+ all day on the highway if need be.

I didn't know the engine had changed, that's useful. I'll look at the G650.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So let's say I cave and get a drz400. There's a couple used ones on craigslist in my area for roughly $5000 in good shape that are a couple years old. Without really shopping around I was able to find a 2013 SM at a local dealer for $7000. I have good credit, a small amount of debt, and if I do get a DRZ it's probably gonna be with a loan unless it's stupid cheap. So should I get a new SM, or buy an older used DRZ and dump money into a sumo conversion?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Yerok posted:

So let's say I cave and get a drz400. There's a couple used ones on craigslist in my area for roughly $5000 in good shape that are a couple years old. Without really shopping around I was able to find a 2013 SM at a local dealer for $7000. I have good credit, a small amount of debt, and if I do get a DRZ it's probably gonna be with a loan unless it's stupid cheap. So should I get a new SM, or buy an older used DRZ and dump money into a sumo conversion?

That's way high. I bought a 2007 SM with like 5k on it for $4k OTD from a dealer. Keep looking.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That could depend on the market. DRZs are rare here so even crappily done 10 year old S conversions are asking 3500 or 4k.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I found a couple super clean 2008 SM's for like $5000 that I could probably get for about 4,500. We'll see I guess, it's really gonna depend on whether I can get a little loan. I know I could just buy one outright if I wait like three months but I'd rather have something to ride right now so I can decommission my RD for the new wiring harness build.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Nitrox posted:

Please post a trip report [Star Bolt], especially if you get to go over 80mph.

So, predictably, the Bolt is about 180 degrees from what I'm used to on my Ninjette. I didn't really get to go much faster than 50, as we were riding in formation in a group. That said, it handles pretty well at low speeds, and I had no issues with it overall. It pulls pretty drat well, and unlike my bike, it has a usable first gear. The clutch is super easy and the shifter is great as well. I didn't even have a problem seeing the speedo, though it was a bit cloudy. The only issue that I had was that it didn't handle big bumps all that well. The rear shocks are short, and I found myself backing off the throttle when I saw a bump coming up.

I didn't ride the R-Type or whatever the hell they call it, but while you're riding I'm sure it doesn't make that much of a difference. I'd probably just spring for it because of the cosmetic stuff anyway.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

It's been two years since I owned a bike. Had a 2002 SV650 S that gave me 7 good years of riding experience. Sold it to move to NYC and now I'm back on the hunt for something to fill a lot of roles.

I'm basically planning on buying another SV for all the obvious reasons. Economical, easy to maintain, past experience with one, planning on going to the track with my coworkers, doing long trips outside of the city etc. I was wondering if there's any other good step up from the SV that could fill all these roles? Some part of me is interested in getting a Daytona 675 but they're hard to come by and I won't be able to afford one for a good 6-9 months. Never really considered the typical I4 600's but maybe I should? Interestingly, I am in a position where I have the space/tools/time to take on a fixer upper project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

captainOrbital posted:

I didn't ride the R-Type or whatever the hell they call it, but while you're riding I'm sure it doesn't make that much of a difference. I'd probably just spring for it because of the cosmetic stuff anyway.

That photo LOOKS like it's the r-type...