Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snowcrafta
Jul 8, 2007

I can't reiterate how awesome socks are. I'll take them for Christmas, I'll take them for Birthday, I'll take them for anniversary. I'll even take them for a wedding but it better be a god damn Costco sized box worth.

I love socks.

Looks like a rough outline of the SF bay

Or maybe one of the waterfalls on... JFK in GGP near 22nd avenue?

snowcrafta fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Casque 9

OK, I'm in need of a sanity check. I think I see something in this guy's forehead, but I need to check if others see it or if it's just me.

His forehead overall looks elevated above the plane of the rest of his face. Also, the bridge of his nose (ignore his eyes for the moment) looks like a spout, or perhaps the barrel of a cannon, with something spraying out of it.

Perhaps it relates to a fountain, or a fort with cannon sticking out. Or perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't actually there.

It's really subtle, but I see what you're getting at. The way that the nose is drawn right about the level of his upper eyelids look like the ring on the end of a canon.

For what it's worth, there's these guys in front of the MacDonald statue in Place du Canada.

They're apparently former naval canons that were captured from the Russians by the British during the Crimean war. So, how about canons sticking out of the side of a ship?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Guuse posted:

It's really subtle, but I see what you're getting at. The way that the nose is drawn right about the level of his upper eyelids look like the ring on the end of a canon.

For what it's worth, there's these guys in front of the MacDonald statue in Place du Canada.

They're apparently former naval canons that were captured from the Russians by the British during the Crimean war. So, how about canons sticking out of the side of a ship?

I don't know if they were there before, in 82, because they aren't there right now.

Deteriorata posted:

Casque 9

OK, I'm in need of a sanity check. I think I see something in this guy's forehead, but I need to check if others see it or if it's just me.

His forehead overall looks elevated above the plane of the rest of his face. Also, the bridge of his nose (ignore his eyes for the moment) looks like a spout, or perhaps the barrel of a cannon, with something spraying out of it.

Perhaps it relates to a fountain, or a fort with cannon sticking out. Or perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't actually there.

I keep seeing the cathedral, from the back, but it's attached to the rectory, so I'm not sure anymore.

edit (again)

poo poo, looks like the oratory

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 29, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

I don't know if they were there before, in 82, because they aren't there right now.

I did a quick check and found a post in a yahoo group that actually provides a history for the cannons. They were apparently added to the square during World War I, so that checks out. It seems that they go away from time to time for restoration, so that's where they probably are now. Interestingly, they WERE gone around 1984 for a period of several months by the author's recollection, but I think that the odds that they were there in 1981-82 are pretty high.

It's probably a long shot that the nose was intentionally drawn that way, but still pretty cool. I wonder if you can make that association from looking at the picture in the actual book rather than zoomed in.

a monument restoration guy from Montreal posted:

When I didn't see them back in place after several months, I decided to track down Nick. I think it was about 1984 and found him on station at Winnie's and asked him what he could do about. First, he wrote a column about it and then he went to work and soon enough they were back in place, guarding Sir John A against attack from Sir Wilfrid Laurier accross the street.

ed: I don't know... now that I've seen it, it's pretty easy to pick out, even in the picture in the OP.

^^^ I think the Oratory has come up before, but I don't think anyone in the thread really developed it or anything else dealing with Mount Royal.

Guuse fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 29, 2013

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

NYC

I'm pretty sure I'm completely crazy here and I'm probably wrong, but I think I may have come across the location (possibly specific location) of the NYC cask. Please, please, please, pick this apart as harshly as you can. This is Something Awful & I'm sure you can do this. It does seem waaaay too convincing to me.

I'm thinking Roosevelt Island.

Let's take a look at the picture..

First, I am going to assume that the gull and the woman (who I will call Liberty's Sister) are to tell the reader “New York”. It has a Chrysler Building art deco gargoyle and Liberty's face. I did think the feathers were docks or piers on a map, but it doesn't add up.

Now then, if the lower portion is a flipped downtown Manhattan, then in comparison, what's the stem? Roosevelt Island.

Let's dig deeper:

The “Russian” building shilouettes can be found on the island and are not at all Russian. The building on the left is the “Octagon Tower”, (which may or may not have had a spire on the top in the 80's), the building in the center may be found on the "Renwick Smallpox Hospital". Admittedly, that may be a stretch, but the building on the right, definitely looks like the "Blackwell Lighthouse". Even the window, while a common shape, can be found at Roosevelt Island's "Strecker Laboratory"

Now, let's take a gawk at the stanzas. Here, I am assuming they are not giving a direct location, but rather are taking you on a pleasant tour of the island and eventually leading you to the treasure. Here is verse 2.

In the shadow
Of the grey giant (You are starting off in NYC, which can be called a stone gray giant).

Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
(Technically, if the map is correct, Liberty's Sister's right arm is the 59th street bridge. There is also a tram station here).

In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Cars abound
(I'm assuming you would do the cool thing and take the Roosevelt Island tram which would have fans blowing on you in the summer. You are also next to a bridge that is always swarmed with cars.)

I do not know about the Native Indies, or the Hard word.

Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots

If you step off the tram, a short walk away is a “V” shaped road with a circular garden in it. The circle now (not sure about then) has a small fountain surrounded by plants. This may be a hint about gardening which is important later.

In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

The “rhapsodic man's soil” may refer to Octagon Tower, which was a lunatic asylum. It is also north of where you are. You are looking north “Toward the Isle of B”. “Isle of B” referring to where you are, Blackwell Island.

For all I know, it's there, in the middle of the road and they plopped a fountain on top of it. I don't think so

(Side note: I haven't figured out if verse 5 is relevant yet, but “A wingless bird ascended, Born of ancient dreams of flight" may refer to the trams. The “You'll see an arc of lights“ may refer to the bridge at night. I haven't figured out the rest of the lines. Perhaps it has nothing to do with NYC? I am also at a loss with verses 6 & 7 if they are even relevant).

If we're continuing the logic of the picture as a map, then why is there a flower on the stem? It could be artistic choice. It can also be a community garden found on the island ("sovereign people who build palaces to shelter"). Don't gnomes and fairys love flowers and stuff?

As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
(for gnomes, etc.)
Their heads for a night!
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

It's called “Roosevelt Island Garden Club”, matching the namesake line. I am also thinking about the rows in Verse 2. Garden beds are arranged in rows/beds and may have statues or plaques. I like this idea because it's elegant. It would be a matter of knowing somebody in the garden club and asking “Can I plant this here?” No permits are needed and unless you are planting a tree, no reason to dig three to four feet in the ground.

Of course, if the garden club was established in 1996 or something, then this is all crap and I have wasted your time.

So, if anyone plans of visiting, feel free to poke around and see what you think. Take a look at anything interesting, count the # of rows or beds. I just hope the cask wasn't planted at the southern most tip of the island because the city ripped all that up.

Thoughts?

Crap, forgot to mention that, for the people who have seen a "74", Roosevel's island is between -73.940 and -73.961. Close enough?

Mr_Schmoo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 29, 2013

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Urban Smurf posted:

Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like somekind of thing, could it be a tree?

Or a mushroom cloud.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Ceciltron posted:

I keep seeing the cathedral, from the back, but it's attached to the rectory, so I'm not sure anymore.

edit (again)

poo poo, looks like the oratory

No, they are still there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Since no one commented before, I'm just going to repeat and add something:

The majority of the population of Montreal speaks French. The book was printed in English. Was it even released in Canada?

If it was not released in Canada or in French then Montreal is not going to be one of the cities. There is not going to be a cask in a city where no one had access to the book.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr_Schmoo posted:

NYC

Roosevelt Island

This is what I thought too when the thread was first posted. It's worth pointing out the piece of fabric hanging off her the belt type thing of her gown pretty much is the shape of the island.

Edit: You might have said that in your post but I wasn't really clear

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

The majority of the population of Montreal speaks French. The book was printed in English. Was it even released in Canada?

If it was not released in Canada or in French then Montreal is not going to be one of the cities. There is not going to be a cask in a city where no one had access to the book.

I was under the impression that the majority of the population in Montreal speaks English as well.

Purely anecdotal, but I didn't have to resort to my horrid French when there, and I tried to get all over the place.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There are thousands of places in New York City that would fit as closely as you solution does. "Indies native" and "hard word" are probably there for a reason, so you need to account for them.

Not bad, but I don't think I would dig based on it.

Edit: Also, do your homework and make sure your solution is based on NYC as of 1980. Don't guess that maybe it was.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 30, 2013

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

In the 80s English was still the dominant language. It still is, despite many political gains for the francophones, in most middle to upper class environments. The book would probably have been released in Canada, but this is something worth looking into.

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013

Guuse posted:

This 1963 shot from historicaerials.com seems to show a square object with something roundish inside it in front of what I think is the same building. Unfortunately this is the last photo before the 80's -- the rest are just street plans. It could be the statue from above, though.

Right, well fellas I apologize for being off the forum for a bit, but I can tell you some of what you are looking at.

The Elks Club, yes, was nicknamed the Wonderlodge ( and located at Mason and Prospect facing south, with its front lawn facing the end of Wisconsin Ave. where it met the curve) and the main sculpture was the Elk, which was moved some years prior from its original place at the edge of Juneau Park right where the Lincoln Memorial Bridge/Drive was being built (um, for reference think of the primary place we want to look for the cask...).

In the older *1965* satellite image seen above (good find by the way--source??), the main featured area on the lawn would have been the new setting of the Elk and the Lincoln statue was just under some trees somewhere. (p.s. a few years ago I found where the Elk statue ended up, but that's a different tale)

The Elks Club itself was razed in *1971* as the Northwestern Mutual people bought it to expand their headquarters and land (when the Elk moved again) ((see: [url=http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=I2caAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4ioEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6328%2C1841371[/url] )) and that land was no longer public, and the sidewalks were all dug up and the land re-sculpted. So, no longer a park but still greenspace now.

In 1981, they were constructing the present overpass bridge at Mason and Prospect (see: [url=http://content.mpl.org/cdm/ref/collection/HstoricPho/id/4270[/url] ), replacing the old viaduct/promenade that held the Lincoln statue, predicating the temporary move. This is the exact year that Preiss would have been in town, and would have known that the Lincoln statue would return to the bridge in a few years.

As for that parking structure with the block pattern -- it's a bit of a stretch. However! If you walked up Wells Street from Pabst/City Hall and passed that feature and kept going east...BAM you will end up at Juneau Park. Yes, it is a straight site line down Wells from the park as I've mentioned before. See:

*I'm more prone to the Juneau Park theory, still, because Cathedral Square is much too public. All the places so far have been in a park, somewhere quiet. CS is just too visible and public.
Theorized spots in JP: #1 southern foot of figure on WWI flagpole. #2 south of ancient rock (near flagpole) on slope. #3 southern end of Knights rock (not official name, no one remembers it) which has direct line of site with City Hall. #4 just south of foot of Solomon Juneau, where the bronze fresco pictured in painting (the juggler) is visible. ((There is 10-ft. of sidewalk first)) and #5, my favorite--at the southern foot of Leif Ericson. The original European discoverer of North America (500 years before Columbus, and discounting the Indians and possibly the Chinese). Who was from Scandavian country--the place where "The Secret" elves made wonderstones (gems). And there is Celtic (runic) lettering on the backside (letter from the country of wonderstone's hearth).

Even if the cask is not there, I feel like making my own in pottery class, burying it there, and then wait for someone to dig it up so I can say "A-ha!"

**By the way, before a period in which Milwaukee did not give a poo poo anymore about the lake view (from say, 1950-1990), there were no trees in these parks. Here's Leif then:

and now:

This is the exact same base and statue as the original one in Boston, where you can see the inscription more clearly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

In the 80s English was still the dominant language. It still is, despite many political gains for the francophones, in most middle to upper class environments. The book would probably have been released in Canada, but this is something worth looking into.

A bigger question is just how pissed off would the Quebecois be if it turned out their casque wasn't from the French fairies (particularly back in 1980 when the separatist movement was still pretty strong)? :canada:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Waltzing Along posted:

Fifty four percent of montreal considers english their first language .

Its okay, us anglo montrealers are used to that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

stab posted:

Wikipedia said that 65% said French was #1. True it's wikipedia. But I'm thinking back 30 years.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Wikipedia said that 65% said French was #1. True it's wikipedia. But I'm thinking back 30 years.

Yep. That's the big distinction. There was a huge demographic shift in the mid 80s (huge booms in suburban movement) and in the early 90s (Referendums, media fear-mongering and such). Montreal has changed in many ways, and seems to reinvent itself every 20 years almost.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 9 Verse 10

The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.

The State of the Union Messages of the Presidents 1790-1966 (Complete 3 Volume Set, Volume 1 (I): 1790 - 1860, Volume 2 (II): 1861 - 1904, Volume 3 (III): 1905 – 1966), by author Fred L. Israel. A speech by President Harding is found in one of these volumes. Harding was the first American President to visit Canada. The monument found in Stanley Park, Vancouver B.C. has his speech etched in granite:

quote:

“What an object lesson of peace is shown today by our two countries to all the world. No Grim-faced fortifications mark our frontiers. No huge battleships patrol our dividing waters. No stealthy spies lurk in our tranquil border hamlets. Only a scrap of paper, recording hardly more than a simple understanding, safe-guards lives and properties on the Great Lakes, and only humble mile posts mark the inviolable boundary line for thousands of miles through farm and forest.”

“Our protection is in our fraternity, our armour is ever increasing acquaintance and comradeship through interchange of citizens and the compact is not of perishable parchment, but of fair and honorable dealing, which, God grant, shall continue for all time.”

Erected by Kiwanis International in memory of a great occasion in the life of two sister nations here on July 26, 1923 Warren Gamaliel Harding, twenty-ninth president of the United States of America, and first president to visit Canada, charter member of the Kiwanis Club of Marion, Ohio, spoke words that are worthy of record in lasting granite.

Kiwanis is a Ojibwe Native American word with some some varied translation: it could mean "to fool around" or it could mean "we meet, we share, we build". I like the correlation of the verse's "Hard" to the name of the President "Harding" and the final line of the monument etching "words...in lasting granite."

I thought it was interesting this pic of the monument from the archives mentions the Canadian Pacific Railway, http://digitalcollections.library.ubc.ca/cdm/singleitem/collection/chung/id/21075/rec/15

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 2, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

blurradial posted:

In the older *1965* satellite image seen above (good find by the way--source??)

http://www.historicaerials.com/

It's pretty hit and miss. Some of the listed years are just street plans. And they have nothing for Montreal.

stab posted:

I've just been assuming that French speaking Canadians also speak English.

Also, I've been doing tons of stuff with my extended family over the past week, and I just learned that during the late 19th century we spent a couple of generations in Montreal after immigrating from Scotland before ending up in Oregon. I also learned that we were briefly in Illinois or Indiana before loaning travelling Mormons $10000 and that our move west was to try to get them to pay up. The Mormon thing has to be bullshit, but drat family legends own.

I also caught myself trying to make matches in old family photos. I was unsuccessful.

uraninjs
Sep 26, 2010
Cask 6

I know everyone is convinced this one is in St Augustine, but can anyone explain why the old wiki was so convinced it was Clearwater?

Fwiw, Safety Harbor was discovered by another Spanish explorer, de Soto, who also thought he had found the fountain of youth.

Google "Philippe Park, Safety Harbor" and the shoreline looks remarkably like the "face" shape at the top right of the rock formation in the picture.

Sorry if this has been brought up already.

uraninjs fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 30, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

uraninjs posted:

Cask 6

I know everyone is convinced this one is in St Augustine, but can anyone explain why the old wiki was so convinced it was Clearwater?

Fwiw, Safety Harbor was discovered by another Spanish explorer, de Soto, who also thought he had found the fountain of youth.

Google "Philippe Park, Safety Harbor" and the shoreline looks remarkably like the "face" shape at the top right of the rock formation in the picture.

Sorry if this has been brought up already.

I wish it was Clearwater, I could get there in 15 minutes! Did the wiki actually think that? Or was it just that single image?

Also, shorelines are tough to identify. Storms reshape them pretty regularly, and around here there's enough swamp, sand, and grasses that it's not always clear exactly what is shoreline and what is water. At least in my attempts to identify shoreline in Saint Augustine, Google satellite view looked very different from Google map view, which looked very different from historical maps from the 80s, and nothing at all like maps from the early 1900s.

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 30, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 6

There's been a lot of chit chat about the irrefutablilty of St. Augustine and yet I made a case against that theory. Did anyone read my first post here at SA, back on page 51? I thought it would gain some healthy criticism, but nobody stepped up. I actually support many conclusions about linking St. Augustine to image 6 and verse 9, because it looks much like a red herring to me. If Preiss wanted to use St. Augustine as a red herring, it makes sense to use Ponce, the general outline of the state (pretty sloppy if you take a close look) and have the first line fit the entry to the park.

I matched the face of the rock perfectly to the image. I matched taking Highway No.2 Exit 22 to go directly to the spot that has a near match to the circular/square symbol on Ponce's flag. The scenic view of the river gorge below fits near perfectly to the faint outline at the bottom of the image (it's been drawn in reverse).

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 6

There's been a lot of chit chat about the irrefutablilty of St. Augustine and yet I made a case against that theory. Did anyone read my first post here at SA, back on page 51? I thought it would gain some healthy criticism, but nobody stepped up. I actually support many conclusions about linking St. Augustine to image 6 and verse 9, because it looks much like a red herring to me. If Preiss wanted to use St. Augustine as a red herring, it makes sense to use Ponce, the general outline of the state (pretty sloppy if you take a close look) and have the first line fit the entry to the park.

I matched the face of the rock perfectly to the image. I matched taking Highway No.2 Exit 22 to go directly to the spot that has a near match to the circular/square symbol on Ponce's flag. The scenic view of the river gorge below fits near perfectly to the faint outline at the bottom of the image (it's been drawn in reverse).

If it's not Saint Augustine, you'd have to have a decent explanation for the following extremely specific clues (not to mention the other, more vague ones).

Why do the first letter of the last lines of the verse spell out 'SELOY', an extremely specific word with no references (that I can find) to anything but Saint Augustine's Fountain of Youth?

Why is the first line 'The first chapter', which is the slogan of the Fountain of Youth, and written on the park sign?

Why is the symbol for the Castillo de San Marcos on the flag?

What does 'Shell, limestone, silver, salt' mean, when the two famous artifacts discovered at the Fountain of Youth refer to those exact materials?

Until we're holding the cask it's obviously not a fact, but I think the evidence for the Fountain of Youth park is just as strong as the evidence used to find the first two casks.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Guuse posted:

It's probably a long shot that the nose was intentionally drawn that way, but still pretty cool. I wonder if you can make that association from looking at the picture in the actual book rather than zoomed in.
If anything, it's more clearly visible in the book.

roffels posted:

Or a mushroom cloud.
That was also my first thought.

Ceciltron posted:

There's an "In Canada" price on the back cover.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

There's an "In Canada" price on the back cover.

More specifically, the copyright page says 'Published simultaneously in the United States and Canada'.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

So hang on, Leif appears in Juneau, and near Charlesgate, and near Shore Road Park in Brooklyn...maybe BP had a list he was looking at when he was thinking about the "viking craftsman elves" who made the casques.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Very Nice Eraser, you're making great progress on the St. Augustine angle, incredible progress actually. Thank you for taking a moment to raise some good points. Indeed, a convincing argument based on specifics is what I have, and yet I'm convincing nobody of anything. I can't explain other people's inability to see and interpret my findings. I'd expect good side by side comparisons to be enough. Given the specific site I'm looking at, Occam's razor makes a clear case since there's relatively no other options around. It's a scenic vista with a memorial to the builders of the first scenic highway in the United States. In that view is a large scene of the river gorge, one lone citadel with a circle of lights around it in the foreground and one large tree just a dozen paces away from a stone that fits exactly with the one depicted in the image when comparing the image to the main central boulder that actually fits the illustration! I literally never saw that specific matchup before joining these forums. Look closely at the yellow rectangle I've outlined the side by side comparison with. There are no tricks to the image, it is just set up exactly as needed in order to find the casque.

Now, to argue against the specifics found in St. Augustine, that's not going to be easy or even possible if the red herring is entirely intentional. Those items were selected because they would be most easily found. Seloy is huge. The first chapter is huge. I don't see the Castillo de San Marcos match, (I don't see where that's been discussed, link?). I don't know what to make of the "Shell, limestone, silver, salt" line, except the spot that I've fit verse 9 to in San Juan Island where many cannons were mounted to defend against the British and there is the Lime Kiln area. The island had a high concentration of abalone, which have pearls and silvery nacre shells similar to the color patterns in the background of the panels of the window in image 12 for which I've set to the site.

I developed my theory of Lane and the Two Twenty-two very quickly once I drove to the spot and saw a super convincing match to many of the lines and blemishes in the boulder at the Portland Women's Forum site in Corbett. I'm not making any mental leaps at that point. My eyes landed on exactly what could be no accident. Unfortunately every time I show this picture, nobody seems to see it for themselves or they're just unwilling because they're content members of the cult of St. Augustine.

Here's some bigger images,

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/erexere/omg.png

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/erexere/imag0186_zpsf7f1593e.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/erexere/weightroots_zps79124932.jpg

Yeah, arguing against a red herring is next to impossible.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 30, 2013

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Urban Smurf posted:

I'm not making any mental leaps at that point. My eyes landed on exactly what could be no accident. Unfortunately every time I show this picture, nobody seems to see it for themselves or they're just unwilling because they're content members of the cult of St. Augustine.

Consider me an unbiased observer since I haven't been following this cask at all. Your circle is dumb. Circles are everywhere in the world, and the aerial view is lacking the square in the middle as well as the weird triangle things jutting out from the edges. The rock head I can kind of see the similarity but it has far too many bumps and notches on the "face" for it to even be recognizable as a face. It doesn't have a neck, it doesn't have that smooth cheek part. However, if you had strong evidence* that the cask were in this area, I'd be willing to concede that the artist just took a lot of liberty and it is actually the correct rock, if only because it's a prominent, generally head-shaped rock. The part you circled doesn't match. The crack on the real rock looks like an intersection of four separate parts, whereas the drawing only has three. I'm sure there are millions of rocks that have this sort of feature. As for the river, I can see where there is a notch on the far right (or left), but that's where the similarities end. Your line "Unfortunately every time I show this picture..." really sounds like something a crazy person would say. If nobody else sees the similarity, maybe it's time for you to ask yourself if you're being the stubborn one.

*Maybe you do, I can't really make sense of what you wrote above the photos.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Urban Smurf posted:

Very Nice Eraser, you're making great progress on the St. Augustine angle, incredible progress actually. Thank you for taking a moment to raise some good points. Indeed, a convincing argument based on specifics is what I have, and yet I'm convincing nobody of anything. I can't explain other people's inability to see and interpret my findings. I'd expect good side by side comparisons to be enough. Given the specific site I'm looking at, Occam's razor makes a clear case since there's relatively no other options around. It's a scenic vista with a memorial to the builders of the first scenic highway in the United States. In that view is a large scene of the river gorge, one lone citadel with a circle of lights around it in the foreground and one large tree just a dozen paces away from a stone that fits exactly with the one depicted in the image when comparing the image to the main central boulder that actually fits the illustration! I literally never saw that specific matchup before joining these forums. Look closely at the yellow rectangle I've outlined the side by side comparison with. There are no tricks to the image, it is just set up exactly as needed in order to find the casque.

Now, to argue against the specifics found in St. Augustine, that's not going to be easy or even possible if the red herring is entirely intentional. Those items were selected because they would be most easily found. Seloy is huge. The first chapter is huge. I don't see the Castillo de San Marcos match, (I don't see where that's been discussed, link?). I don't know what to make of the "Shell, limestone, silver, salt" line, except the spot that I've fit verse 9 to in San Juan Island where many cannons were mounted to defend against the British and there is the Lime Kiln area. The island had a high concentration of abalone, which have pearls and silvery nacre shells similar to the color patterns in the background of the panels of the window in image 12 for which I've set to the site.

I developed my theory of Lane and the Two Twenty-two very quickly once I drove to the spot and saw a super convincing match to many of the lines and blemishes in the boulder at the Portland Women's Forum site in Corbett. I'm not making any mental leaps at that point. My eyes landed on exactly what could be no accident. Unfortunately every time I show this picture, nobody seems to see it for themselves or they're just unwilling because they're content members of the cult of St. Augustine.

Here's some bigger images,

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/erexere/omg.png

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/erexere/imag0186_zpsf7f1593e.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/erexere/weightroots_zps79124932.jpg

Yeah, arguing against a red herring is next to impossible.

I'm a little confused; I see references to painting 6, painting 12, verse 5, and verse 9 in your post. Which verse/painting are you specifically saying points to the Portland location you've described?

As for the rock formation, I'm not sure you've matched anything more specific than a big, well, rock-shaped rock. Pretty much any oblong rock formation would look pretty similar from one angle or another. The one X-shaped crevice you highlighted is an ok match... But that's one of the dozens of shapes on the rock in painting 6.

Finally, the Castillo de San Marcos is a famous coquina castle in Saint Augustine. From air, and on maps, it looks like a square with spiky corners. Basically the shape on the flag, ignoring the circle.

Your idea is plausible, I think, except for the red herring idea. I think that's too far fetched; the author wasn't trying to put together the world's trickiest puzzle (there are books like that though).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Your idea is plausible, I think, except for the red herring idea. I think that's too far fetched; the author wasn't trying to put together the world's trickiest puzzle (there are books like that though).
By the looks of it, he should have. 31 years and still going strong.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Verse 10

quote:

The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.

Here's a random off-the-wall suggestion - could this possibly be referring to Noah Webster, of the dictionary? That's somewhere you'd find hard words, and as far as I can tell from some brief research, during the 80s Webster's looks to have been published in three volumes (from Wikipedia - "Following the purchase of Merriam-Webster by Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. in 1964, a three-volume version was issued for many years as a supplement to the encyclopaedia.")

Webster moved to New York in 1793 - another chunk from Wikipedia:

quote:

In 1793, Alexander Hamilton lent him $1,500 to move to New York City to edit the leading Federalist Party newspaper. In December, he founded New York's first daily newspaper, American Minerva (later known as the Commercial Advertiser), and edited it for four years, writing the equivalent of 20 volumes of articles and editorials. He also published the semi-weekly publication, The Herald, A Gazette for the country (later known as The New York Spectator)

There's a Webster Hall in Manhattan, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with him except the name.

No idea if this is of any use to anyone, but it might be a new angle to think about!

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

I'm a little confused; I see references to painting 6, painting 12, verse 5, and verse 9 in your post. Which verse/painting are you specifically saying points to the Portland location you've described?

As for the rock formation, I'm not sure you've matched anything more specific than a big, well, rock-shaped rock. Pretty much any oblong rock formation would look pretty similar from one angle or another. The one X-shaped crevice you highlighted is an ok match... But that's one of the dozens of shapes on the rock in painting 6.

Finally, the Castillo de San Marcos is a famous coquina castle in Saint Augustine. From air, and on maps, it looks like a square with spiky corners. Basically the shape on the flag, ignoring the circle.

LargeHadron, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of finding a circle. If you consider my process, you'll be less inclined to think I built my theory around a dumb circle. I have struggled with this rock, because it is a complicated surface. What I need to do is explain that the artist is painting the image from two main angles in a hosed up barely recognizeable fashion. We all wish he just painted the rock as is, but from the looks of it, he didn't. Angle One: he draws the top of the boulder such that the tree behind it is in the same place as Ponce's flagpole. Angle Two: he draws the right side of the boulder, tree to the right, and down below (foreground of polaroid) is one of the stones in the ring (the one that is directly in line with Mt. Hood not far to the southeast while looking at it from the perimeter rock used to take the polaroid for Angle One). Uggh, that sounds so complicated, but all he did is take two main photos.

Very Nice Eraser, I'm putting image 6 with verse 5. I argued against FOY by seeing if there was any other way to look at verse 9 and I while I agreed about it's convincing FOY fit, I found it seemed like there could be an acrostic that uses all the letters, so I looked at what would happen if I moved the fewest lines possible, and just adjusting four lines, I got TONWWASAYSSELBY. I recall thinking he might've used the word "picket" in describing a fence because he wanted it to be a hint about the famous Pickett from Civil War era Gettysburg. I found that a general named William Selby Harney ordered Pickett to go to northwest Washington. My brain melted into a pool of excitement when I thought SELBY is an unusual name and it takes the place of SELOY by just swapping the line that starts with a B and moving the O-line somewhere else. I thought it was too interesting to ignore when the orders from the General were near verbatim to the whole acrostic. "TO NW WA SAYS SELBY". I found verse 9 fit remarkably well with image 12, so in finding a home for that verse, I became even more comfortable thinking FOY was a red herring.

I took a look at the shape of the Castillo. It totally looks like a good fit too. In looking closely at it, I find my fit in Corbett works better in some ways, while the Castillo in some but not in others. Have a look, see how I've painstakingly used MSpaint. The edges of the square behind the circle are concaved. For clarification, I've drawn the circle of the Corbett area below to make comparing the lines easier. It's hard to tell from the aerial view, but I've been there in person to see that it is exactly as I've drawn it. There are no corners of a square jutting outside the circle perimiter, which is the only way it is different than Ponce's flag.

I've also used gimp to rotate the image better to show how I'm lining up the yellow rectangle.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 30, 2013

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Urban Smurf you seriously sound like someone with a mental disorder, your theories are conspiracy-theory-level bad

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Compared to the two discovered casks, I think you might be over-thinking it. These are tricky little puzzles, not PhD theses. I think that if your theory requires measuring angles and assuming red-herrings, maybe it's not so likely to lead to a cask.

That said, I'm on board with the general idea that the commonly accepted painting/poem matches might not be accurate. But I'm pretty confident that painting 6 matches to verse 9 and identifies the Fountain of Youth park in Saint Augustine, because that's a straightforward theory that matches every clue.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

There's a nearby rock feature called Rooster Rock. Looking at that bird outline in the illustration's rock I thought I'd check the map view and see if anything lined up. The red line draws directly to Rooster Rock and fits the direction of view I showed earlier that shows the right edge of the boulder and the tree to the right.

Doing this with a standard travel map may be achieved, so nothing fancy happening with Google here.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Compared to the two discovered casks, I think you might be over-thinking it. These are tricky little puzzles, not PhD theses. I think that if your theory requires measuring angles and assuming red-herrings, maybe it's not so likely to lead to a cask.

That said, I'm on board with the general idea that the commonly accepted painting/poem matches might not be accurate. But I'm pretty confident that painting 6 matches to verse 9 and identifies the Fountain of Youth park in Saint Augustine, because that's a straightforward theory that matches every clue.

Sorry, I'm being verbose in explaining that only two polaroid angles are happening. That shouldn't cause anyone to think it's conspiracy level mental illness theory.

Also, I'm just talking about taking a map and using a pencil to mark two prominent features, Mt. Hood and Rooster Rock.

It's a very interesting area. Using a compass shouldn't be beyond anyone's ability here.

Here's a good comparison to a well known rock feature for Oregon: Haystack Rock

I think everyone is allowed their opinion, and while the FOY theory is very good, I am just upping things a notch to consider that it might be a red-herring. I'm tring to solve this problem, I can't solve you're personal problems. If you have considered my refutations to FOY, thank you, I'm just trying to help. I don't care if you agree or disagree. I look forward to a cask just the same.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 1, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Urban Smurf posted:

Sorry, I'm being verbose in explaining that only two polaroid angles are happening. That shouldn't cause anyone to think it's conspiracy level mental illness theory.

Also, I'm just talking about taking a map and using a pencil to mark two prominent features, Mt. Hood and Rooster Rock.

It's a very interesting area. Using a compass shouldn't be beyond anyone's ability here.

Here's a good comparison to a well known rock feature for Oregon: Haystack Rock

That's actually not a good comparison at all. The shape is vaguely similar, but the striations are wrong. If you're going to match a hunk of rock, it needs to be dead on or forget it. There's too many rocks in too many places that look too similar to put any confidence in it at all at anything less than 99% identical.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

That's actually not a good comparison at all. The shape is vaguely similar, but the striations are wrong. If you're going to match a hunk of rock, it needs to be dead on or forget it. There's too many rocks in too many places that look too similar to put any confidence in it at all at anything less than 99% identical.

A negative outline doesn't have any striations. Look again.

Seriously, are you saying you can make out the individual windows in the shape of the Terminal Tower in image 4 or can you make out the roads in the shape of Roanoke in image 3? WTF.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 1, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Urban Smurf posted:

A negative outline doesn't have any striations. Look again.

Seriously, are you saying you can make out the individual windows in the shape of the Terminal Tower in image 4 or can you make out the roads in the shape of Roanoke in image 3? WTF.

Are you referring to the outline of the water? That doesn't match the shape of the rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

BJG posted:

So hang on, Leif appears in Juneau, and near Charlesgate, and near Shore Road Park in Brooklyn...maybe BP had a list he was looking at when he was thinking about the "viking craftsman elves" who made the casques.

The Charlesgate one is from after the book.