Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Devyl posted:

Lower it, add proper suspension, keep the 4.10's and drop in the supercharged 5.8 out of the Cobra Mustang. Done.

The what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Diesel half-ton, oh happy days.

quote:

And so we present to you the 2014 Ram lineup, with the biggest change being the addition of an optional 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine for the 1500 model (the same powerplant that's gotten rave reviews in the latest Jeep Grand Cherokee) and the proliferation of the eight-speed TorqueFlite transmission across the entire model range. That engine boasts 420 pound-feet of torque to go along with its 240 horsepower, which means it ought to be able to tow just about anything the 5.7-liter Hemi can, while returning significantly better fuel mileage. Sadly, Ram has not yet released official estimated mpg figures, though it is claiming best-in-class results (though there aren't any other light-duty diesel pickups to compare against).

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/28/ram-reveals-2014-truck-lineup-ecodiesel-v6-a-2-850-option-on-1/

Seems the 6.4 is going to be Ram HD only, and is 410hp/429ft/lbs putting it behind the ford 6.2 in 1/2 spec.

Between the diesel dodge and the ecoboost ford, it's tough to make a case for Chevy at this point. I can't see people thinking the marginal fuel economy differences are enough for the reduced capabilities of the 5.3.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They've also moved to coil spring rear suspension for the 2500 and optional airbags for the 2500/3500 too.

A new Powerwagon with the 6.4l and coils in the rear would be a nice (sort of)Raptor competitor.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Powershift posted:

Diesel half-ton, oh happy days.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/28/ram-reveals-2014-truck-lineup-ecodiesel-v6-a-2-850-option-on-1/

Seems the 6.4 is going to be Ram HD only, and is 410hp/429ft/lbs putting it behind the ford 6.2 in 1/2 spec.

Between the diesel dodge and the ecoboost ford, it's tough to make a case for Chevy at this point. I can't see people thinking the marginal fuel economy differences are enough for the reduced capabilities of the 5.3.

I guess I should just leave it alone, but what do all those numbers mean? 6.4, 6.2, 5.3? Is this a thing I would know about if I was a truck person?

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

tijag posted:

I guess I should just leave it alone, but what do all those numbers mean? 6.4, 6.2, 5.3? Is this a thing I would know about if I was a truck person?

Those are the engine displacements. The 6.2l is Ford's new top truck gas V-8, the 5.3l is Chevy/GMC's main 1/2 ton truck gas engine, and the 6.4l is the new Ram gas V-8.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Duckboat posted:

Those are the engine displacements. The 6.2l is Ford's new top truck gas V-8, the 5.3l is Chevy/GMC's main 1/2 ton truck gas engine, and the 6.4l is the new Ram gas V-8.

Oh. how obvious that should have been.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Q_res posted:

The what now?

I'm sorry... the "Ford Mustang Shelby GT500".

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

:rolleye: Or you could just call it a GT500 like a normal human being.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
do they still call it the cobra at all anymore? I knew a girl that thought "Mustang Cobra" was the goofiest car name possible and would laugh whenever we'd discuss cars and it came up. She said it made her think of a centaur or some mythical chimera monster...but dumb.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

do they still call it the cobra at all anymore? I knew a girl that thought "Mustang Cobra" was the goofiest car name possible and would laugh whenever we'd discuss cars and it came up. She said it made her think of a centaur or some mythical chimera monster...but dumb.

I don't think anyone refers to it as a Cobra anymore, but they still put the Cobra emblem on the car so it's not like there isn't a cobra involved somewhere. Mustang Cobra is an odd combination though, since aren't horses pretty freaked out by snakes? It'd be like if Chevy released the Impala Hyena.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Xguard86 posted:

As long as the cobra is still on the side, that's what I call it. :corsair:

Other silly names include the Ford Shelby Mustang GT500, Ford Shelby Mustang GT500KR, Ford Shelby Mustang Super Snake, Ford Shelby Mustang Super Snake Prudhomme Edition, Ford Shelby Mustang GT350, and Ford Shelby Mustang 1000. There's also the Ford Shelby Mustang GT-H & Ford Shelby Mustang GT. Then there's the Ford Mustang Cobra Jet, but that one is track-only. It makes my head swim sometimes.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 28, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

davebo posted:

but they still put the Cobra emblem on the car

That's because the Cobra emblem was a Shelby thing back in the day.

Also, 'Mustang Cobra' belongs on stuff like this.

:colbert:

edit: In actual new car info, Cadillac has confirmed the existance of a 410hp XTS Vsport with the 3.6 TT V6 and all-wheel drive. The Vsport Premium bases at $63k and the Vsport Platinum starts at $70k.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 28, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

I don't think anyone refers to it as a Cobra anymore, but they still put the Cobra emblem on the car so it's not like there isn't a cobra involved somewhere. Mustang Cobra is an odd combination though, since aren't horses pretty freaked out by snakes? It'd be like if Chevy released the Impala Hyena.

I would buy an Impala Hyena. Clearly it's as fast as an impala being chased by a hyena.

Q_res posted:

That's because the Cobra emblem was a Shelby thing back in the day.

Also, 'Mustang Cobra' belongs on stuff like this.

:colbert:

Yeah there was obviously first the A.C. Cobra, the name to which apparently came to Shelby in a dream. Then he sold the Cobra name to Ford in the 60s for a decent chunk of change but even then it's always kind of been his symbol.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah there was obviously first the A.C. Cobra, the name to which apparently came to Shelby in a dream. Then he sold the Cobra name to Ford in the 60s for a decent chunk of change but even then it's always kind of been his symbol.

Point, though I was actually referring to the fact that if you look at the old GT500s from the 60s they've got Cobra badges on them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

davebo posted:

It'd be like if Chevy released the Impala Hyena.
In Europe, GM could have a coupe called the Opel Manticore.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I had a 99 SVT Cobra which was a lot of fun. You could rev it out to 7.5k, had pretty good brakes, and a IRS. It handled pretty well on the track and on backroads.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Combing back to the Mazda 3 for a moment, I was completely on board with the new design until I saw this:

:gonk:

I keep hearing all this stuff about high waistlines and all that but didn't realize the mainstream hatchbacks were approaching Countach level of outward visibility nowadays. I might never get used to something that doesn't look like this :arghfist::corsair:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I noticed that too. It's a disappointment.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Still doesn't change my opinion of the 3. Was thinking of getting a Genesis but might just wait until the MSP3 comes out and get it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm more disturbed by the two tone seats, that poo poo is ugly.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

leica posted:

I'm more disturbed by the two tone seats, that poo poo is ugly.

That's what I first thought was the problem with the photo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that too, somewhat, but at least the colors can be changed. Not so much with the tiny slit windows, but then again if it were my car I wouldn't be riding in the back so I shouldn't get so worked up over it.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, that too, somewhat, but at least the colors can be changed. Not so much with the tiny slit windows, but then again if it were my car I wouldn't be riding in the back so I shouldn't get so worked up over it.

Keep in mind that photo is taken from the view point of a 5 year old. I was taken a back at first myself but I have to wonder what my fiesta would look like from down there. None of my adult passengers have ever complained about the windows (or the leg room.. I think cause they expect much worse) while back there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
just put 360 cameras as stock equipment and eliminate windows entirely.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

just put 360 cameras as stock equipment and eliminate windows entirely.

I'd be down with that if some badass designs spawned from said improvement.

eames
May 9, 2009

new 2014 Mini Cooper S spotted

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mini-cooper-spy-shots/

e: if you squish the image by a few percent horizontally, you basically have a Fiat 500 replica. Thanks, imgur upload-thumbnail!

eames fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 1, 2013

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

eames posted:

e: if you squish the image by a few percent horizontally, you basically have a Fiat 500 replica. Thanks, imgur upload-thumbnail!

poo poo, you don't need to do that. The front end does that itself. All in all don't know how I feel about it. Any word on whether it's bigger than the current gen?

E: Just read the autoblog article. They need to quit bloating up Minis.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

travisray2004 posted:

poo poo, you don't need to do that. The front end does that itself. All in all don't know how I feel about it. Any word on whether it's bigger than the current gen?

Don't worry, soon it'll be big enough that they'll introduce another model that's the same size as the "original"! It's just the way things get done now.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

travisray2004 posted:

The current gen is about an inch longer and and 20 pounds lighter than the previous gen. This one is slightly larger still, but not too much because they have bigger cars to fulfill those needs now. There should be a significant weight savings with the 3 cylinder. Since it's a shared BMW platform now, I'd expect some pretty nice upgrades from a mechanical and materials standpoint.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

TheGoatTrick posted:

The current gen is about an inch longer and and 20 pounds lighter than the previous gen. This one is slightly larger still, but not too much because they have bigger cars to fulfill those needs now. There should be a significant weight savings with the 3 cylinder. Since it's a shared BMW platform now, I'd expect some pretty nice upgrades from a mechanical and materials standpoint.

While weight savings is always welcome, I don't see the point in making it larger. The original had good proportions for its class.
Although I just read the thread of these over at the GRM forum and I did enjoy the 3-cyl 1 series exhaust note clip someone posted.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

travisray2004 posted:

While weight savings is always welcome, I don't see the point in making it larger. The original had good proportions for its class.
It's only getting a taller hood and larger front overhang due to the European pedestrian crash standards. That's the future, unfortunately. I went to look at the new Lexus IS last weekend and the first thing I noticed was that there's a good 8-10 inches between the front grille and anything functional behind it.

Nayt
May 13, 2013
What are people's thoughts on the BMW 335is. I'm trying to find one for my cousin in Kansas City and it's quite the mouse hunt.

Nayt fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 3, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Nayt posted:

What are people's thoughts on the BMW 335is. I'm trying to find one for my cousin in Kansas City and it's quite the mouse hunt.

The N54 can make gobs of power with a tune and a few bolt-ons. I've got friends putting down over 400hp on E85 tunes. One makes nearly 450 (linked below), but it's as close to a dedicated track car as you can get and still be a daily driver. I almost bought an N54 335i, but couldn't find a sedan in the color I wanted (space gray) with a manual and the sport package in the timeframe I needed. I kind of regret it, but I'll get one someday.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 3, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't they have an issue with the turbos? Or am I thinking of the 335D?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

TheGoatTrick posted:

It's only getting a taller hood and larger front overhang due to the European pedestrian crash standards. That's the future, unfortunately. I went to look at the new Lexus IS last weekend and the first thing I noticed was that there's a good 8-10 inches between the front grille and anything functional behind it.

I never get the pedestrian crash stuff. Is there really an epidemic in Europe of people getting taken out at the knees by low-slung, swoopy cars? It works directly in contradiction to efforts to make cars more fuel-efficient.

Why not let them keep their shape and mandate Volvo-style pedestrian-avoidance braking systems instead? (Also with questionable side-effects, but whatever)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I never get the pedestrian crash stuff. Is there really an epidemic in Europe of people getting taken out at the knees by low-slung, swoopy cars? It works directly in contradiction to efforts to make cars more fuel-efficient.

Why not let them keep their shape and mandate Volvo-style pedestrian-avoidance braking systems instead? (Also with questionable side-effects, but whatever)

It's more of a problem in certain European cities because there are more people and more cars sharing a smaller space, so pedestrian collisions happen more frequently. A low speed bump is a lot different if you tumble over the hood vs. getting pushed under the car.

I agree it looks terrible a lot of the time, though. :(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Previa_fun posted:

It's more of a problem in certain European cities because there are more people and more cars sharing a smaller space, so pedestrian collisions happen more frequently. A low speed bump is a lot different if you tumble over the hood vs. getting pushed under the car.

I agree it looks terrible a lot of the time, though. :(

Ironically though, it seems like the pedestrian safety designs might actually make it more likely for the latter to happen versus the former because front ends are so tall now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cream_Filling posted:

Ironically though, it seems like the pedestrian safety designs might actually make it more likely for the latter to happen versus the former because front ends are so tall now.

I get that the idea is that you get pushed forward instead of going over/under, but then you need to dissipate the energy somehow, and a crumple zone that collapses from winging a pedestrian is going to crumble when hitting a grocery cart or any number of other things. Why "crosswalks" isn't an acceptable solution is one of those deeply European questions.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

I get that the idea is that you get pushed forward instead of going over/under, but then you need to dissipate the energy somehow, and a crumple zone that collapses from winging a pedestrian is going to crumble when hitting a grocery cart or any number of other things. Why "crosswalks" isn't an acceptable solution is one of those deeply European questions.

Because crosswalks are the pedestrians accommodating the drivers by accepting longer routes and delays so the drivers don't spend as much time waiting. That's backwards considering the relative speed of the two modes and discourages walking in favor of driving which has consequences for congested city centers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought that they were based on the supposition, based on some statistics I'm sure, that people very commonly get hit in the ankles and fall on top of the hood. So then they mandated a minimum distance between the top of the engine and the top of the hood, so when people get knocked onto the hood they dont hit the valve covers or whatever with their heads and break them (the heads). But then that makes the front end so tall that you're going to either fling them into something else or else run them over instead of the thing you've designed around, which is people falling on top of the hood.