Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Wow, he was emailing you about tabbed browsing being new? What was that, ten years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Dren posted:

Wow, he was emailing you about tabbed browsing being new? What was that, ten years ago?

That particular mail was sent on 18 September 2002, so yes, it was about 10 years ago! Bob has been gracing my inbox with mails that are equal parts awesome, rambling, and British for years. I just picked the first few that he sent that I still have. Personally, I blame User Friendly. They picked my web page as their link of the day back around 2001 or so and I acquired a number of rather odd "fans" that liked my development writing and projects.

But, I can't say that I've ever been upset about acquiring Bob as a follower. That guy is incredible.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

hendersa posted:

But, I can't say that I've ever been upset about acquiring Bob as a follower. That guy is incredible.

Bob is way cooler than the random email or two I got from some dude convinced that aliens were going to invade earth and so we needed to use his ~*~magical fusion technology~*~ (I used to work in nuclear research before I realized I could get paid literally twice as much to work in industry, and still get to do interesting things). The crazy part is that my email address wasn't actually published anywhere, so I'm not sure how he found me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I was writing a simple game in Elm (which is a really cool language imo) and needed to do collision detection. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the first people to have done this in Elm, so here's baby's first quad tree demo which is interactive!:

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I just saw the strip of colors at the top and was really hoping it was in Piet.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It's Saturday somewhere by now.

This may not look impressive (and it isn't, visually), but it's the culmination of figuring out how to efficiently greybox for Hot Tin Roof. The seamless stacking stairs in particular would have been a nightmare in any other tool - turns out SketchUp is great for architectural stuff. The only missing element was the grid, but thankfully someone made an extension that adds one, so - bammo!

(with cute little example environment showing how the Apartment Interior kit can be used / the versatility)

... and now that that's shipped off to the artists, hopefully I'll get some usable assets, and I can start building real interiors. :love: (the pink is the "open walkable" space, that needs to be clear of obstructions)

EDIT: VV It is. I really don't get why Google is so dead set against just adding a grid tool to it officially, though. Pleasure++.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 21, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SketchUp is a pleasure to use.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I just saw the strip of colors at the top and was really hoping it was in Piet.

Nope just my Kate Spade theme for Chrome. Sorry to disappoint.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I made a simple visualization of the sizes and distances for the planets in our solar system.

In this image the scales are correct but the distance to the sun for each planet is divided by 50. So the planets are actually 50 times more far away than can be seen here

This just shows the correct relative distance between the planets.

Space is awesome!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So I've been playing around with JOGL and some kind souls on this here forum helped me figure out a couple of my (stupid) issues. So instead of a cube I now have a quadtree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W03mks-BBgk

I have no idea if this is how quadtrees are supposed to work or anything, but that's a 1024 x 1024 grid.

Also I decided to put it up on the githubs.

pr0metheus
Dec 5, 2010

Tres Burritos posted:

So I've been playing around with JOGL and some kind souls on this here forum helped me figure out a couple of my (stupid) issues. So instead of a cube I now have a quadtree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W03mks-BBgk

I have no idea if this is how quadtrees are supposed to work or anything, but that's a 1024 x 1024 grid.

Also I decided to put it up on the githubs.

I don't understand what I am seeing. It is just a big rectangle with triangles on it colored randomly, no? Where is the quadtree?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

pr0metheus posted:

I don't understand what I am seeing. It is just a big rectangle with triangles on it colored randomly, no? Where is the quadtree?

He built a QuadTree class and did a good job commenting. Thanks Tres, I'm learning a lot from your code!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
A day late for Screenshot Saturday. Summer bbqs, oh well.

It's been a while since my last update. I had a 9 day vacation, and also a pretty large feature to implement. It may not be as flashy as some of the other stuff, but it's pretty important: the ability to do layer-over-layer stuff.

Blog post is here.

In-game screenshot:

Viewing multiple 'slabs' in the level editor:

'Single slab' mode in the level editor:

Here's a video of everything in action, and how stuff looks in the level editor. I stopped using annotations since someone said they were hard to follow while trying to watch the actual video, so I just explained what was going on vocally instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4FMGat9leA&hd=1

Note that there seem to be some framerate problems when recording; this normally renders at 400-500 fps on my machine, but the frame capturing seems to interfere dramatically. Oh well.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Added some moons, the position of Voyager 1 and VY Canis Majoris (one of the biggest known stars). Check it out at http://jsfiddle.net/t8EPX/

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I recently became interested in developing emulators and decided to made a CHIP-8 emulator over the past 1.5 weeks. It is playable at http://zcr1.github.io/chip8/

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Don Mega: Spiffy. I posted a chip8 emulator of my own a while back, along with a simple compiler which targets it. You should have a go at writing some homebrew! One of my original games may be found here. (octo source)

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

Don Mega: Spiffy. I posted a chip8 emulator of my own a while back, along with a simple compiler which targets it. You should have a go at writing some homebrew! One of my original games may be found here. (octo source)
Thanks. I took a look at your compiler and it seems pretty cool, good work! I am not too interested in developing any games right now, but maybe I will in the future. I will probably take a look at making an NES emulator next.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, screenshot of code, real exciting:

It uses active record (on its own) to migrate a database schema from MS SQL Server to Postgresql and then builds up a mass of insert queries to insert the data.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Been working on this XML editor (github) that works in the browser.

The techy approach is to to use a single contenteditable=true, but then to use a lot of CSS pseudo-elements within that for the inline interface (because pseudo elements can't be touched by the user). That markup is then mapped to XML and validated in another thread in the browser (with emscripten compiled XmlLint to JavaScript, running in a web worker thread so it doesn't interupt the UI thread).

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Really excited about this because it works far better than I imagined. My space game now works with the Oculus Rift:

The HUD is very large at the moment to make it readable on the low resolution devkits, but it still works well. There is still some chromatic aberration despite the correction, but it isn't too bad.

I thought objects in space might be a bit too distant for the stereoscopic 3D to do much, but it gives an incredible sense of scale. The headtracking also seems to make the physics more intuitive, although I'll need to test it on people who haven't played before.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Been working on this XML editor (github) that works in the browser.

The techy approach is to to use a single contenteditable=true, but then to use a lot of CSS pseudo-elements within that for the inline interface (because pseudo elements can't be touched by the user). That markup is then mapped to XML and validated in another thread in the browser (with emscripten compiled XmlLint to JavaScript, running in a web worker thread so it doesn't interupt the UI thread).

Have you tested this with any camel case element or attribute values? I have run into issues with the browser automatically setting these to lowercase in the past and breaking some things.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

excidium posted:

Have you tested this with any camel case element or attribute values? I have run into issues with the browser automatically setting these to lowercase in the past and breaking some things.
Yeah I guessed that something like that would happen so I don't use the element's .nodeName or actual attributes to generate the XML. The XML is a generated from two attribute values (data-element="nodeName", and data-attribute="{key:value,key2:value}") so it retains the exact casing. So there's basically a dual structure of XML that's separate from the HTML markup and they don't mix.

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 27, 2013

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The detection is hosed. It is saying that Safari 7 doesn't have Web Workers support.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

It's time for more Android on the BeagleBone Black!

That is a touchscreen 7-inch 800x480x16 LCD display "cape" board, and it is now integrated into my port of Android to the BBB. CircuitCo, who manufactures many of the BeagleBone cape boards (as well as all of the various BeagleBoard and BeagleBone platforms), were kind enough to send me several of these LCD boards (3-inch, 4-inch, and 7-inch) to play with so that I could try adding support for them into my Android kernel and OS image. If I keep adding on new hardware, I'm eventually going to end up with a big, clunky cell phone on my desk that is made from a bunch of prototype parts that are all flying in close formation. It's win-win for everyone (more for them than me), since I get new hardware to play with, they have someone solving all of these random engineering issues for free, and the community gets stuff that "already works", rather than having to wait for someone to fix all of the problems.

On the downside, I am getting kinda burnt out because, aside from the development work itself, I have answered over 700 mails on Android and the BBB in the last 10 days. CircuitCo kindly threw me a line and set up wiki pages for installing my Android and even BeagleSNES, which takes some of the heat off of me, but drat. I need a nap!

I also put together a quick video of the 7-inch LCD display running under Android: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MmWkt_7-y0

Fun fact: That video was recorded by using electrical tape, a plastic coat hanger, and a lamp to form a harness that suspended my cell phone in position over the top of the LCD panel. :eng101:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

hendersa posted:

On the downside, I am getting kinda burnt out because, aside from the development work itself, I have answered over 700 mails on Android and the BBB in the last 10 days.

You are some kind of crazy person and/or saint.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

You are some kind of crazy person and/or saint.

Probably a bit of both. For every awesome mail that I get from some PhD student that wants to compare notes, I get about 50 mails from people that can't quite handle writing my pre-made image onto a microSD card without screwing it up. After the first two or three days, answering most of the mail was more of an exercise in cutting and pasting from previous mails. It still eats up a lot of time, though I think it has its moments when you get those few mails that make it worthwhile.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

hendersa posted:

Probably a bit of both. For every awesome mail that I get from some PhD student that wants to compare notes, I get about 50 mails from people that can't quite handle writing my pre-made image onto a microSD card without screwing it up. After the first two or three days, answering most of the mail was more of an exercise in cutting and pasting from previous mails. It still eats up a lot of time, though I think it has its moments when you get those few mails that make it worthwhile.

Find or write your platform's equivalent of TextExpander!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Find or write your platform's equivalent of TextExpander!

Or just round file the stupid requests. The community benefits as a whole if you force them to get help elsewhere (other community members, ideally) while you concentrate on adding more features (something other community members may not be able to assist with).

FYI, I sort of have a steamy love affair with TI technology and I was happy to hear you had a good resolution to your plagiarism issue.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I think this is like 10k cubes or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdf8tqBO8s

I was pretty proud.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
So I realised that about a year ago I dropped one of the few projects I've been getting feedback on, my old python roguelike engine pYendor. The main reason was that it got horribly bloaty and badly made, and also because I had gotten sick of libtcod and failed to move to some other library properly. So a couple of days ago, I decided to move back to Python for a while and go about remaking the library from scratch, and not in a void this time. I'll use it, as I'm developing it, to release some tiny sample fully-featured roguelikes. Furthermore, I'll replace libtcod with my own back-end library based on Pygame (not my first choice) which I'll also release separately.

I've been making steady progress over the last two days.

The main feature I'm showing off here is the fact that the left and right 'consoles' (in libtcod talk, they're off-screen consoles) use different font files (actually spritesheets) and have differently-sized tiles. These consoles are placed onto the window with a pixel-level offset, which should make it easy to have interesting interface design and not a strict 'everything is on a grid'.

e: Wonderful time to realise that the word wrapping is a tiny bit broken in the image, oops. Should fix that. And yes, I'm aware in-string color code sequences aren't done yet.

e2(much later): More progress.

Red Mike fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 30, 2013

pat--
Sep 9, 2004
That looks cool, I was looking to do something exactly the same with respect to changing fonts in different libtcod consoles but had put in the too hard basket momentarily while I focused on actual game mechanics as opposed to presentation. I'd previously taken a look at your old version of pYendor and I think I remember playing TrapRL a couple of years ago as well, but this is probably something that I would definitely like to take and implement in my libtcod project as a quick fix to my presentation problems. The fixed grid is fine for an ascii game but gets a bit clunky when you start using libtcod for graphical tiles.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Well, as a quick fix, I'm not sure how useful it'll turn out to be, since it's Pygame-based, thus slightly harder to distribute than libtcod.

I do plan to eventually add most, if not all, of libtcod's features though. I'm planning on announcing the project and making a page for it once I have a small sample game done with it, over on my site. Debating whether to add it to Github now (as opposed to after I have a first sample app going), since my PyCharm license for it expired and that's what I used for frequent git commits while coding.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I streamed 30mins of Black Annex gameplay as part of the Greenlight Supershow on the weekend, so I guess I'll post that here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shD2uz-P3fs

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I decided to finally get off my butt and teach some people about my work, face-to-face. On this past Friday, I gave a two-hour lecture on porting Android to embedded platforms. I had about 40 graduate students in my lecture, and only one fell asleep, so I consider it to be a win. Besides, the guy that fell asleep sleeps through every lecture.

After a break for lunch, I ran a two-hour lab session using my Android port on the BBB. Not only did the students install Android and get it up and running in a few different configurations, but they even got some custom apps installed and running on real ARM hardware:

I enjoy doing this kind of instruction because it is quite practical, has a hands-on component, and gives the grad students something concrete that they can talk about when it comes time for job interviews. It also gives the students a chance to talk to me directly and ask questions. Since about 95% of the students are foreign and don't have well-polished English skills, it gives me a chance to work with them interactively and figure out what in the heck they are actually asking about. It sure beats some of the mails that I get:

quote:

Ok.thank you hendersa.Right .my beaglebone black was boot successfull.I can console it through serial . I cannot out HDMI to TV sony 40EX650 with any OS (angstrom,unbuntu,android) .I checked with TV sharp and TOSHIBA.it is same result.
TV detected HDMI but no picture.I wake up it (click mouse) . when I connect HDMI to board.serial deug doesn't have any info EDID. I tried with 2 type cable 
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mini-hdmi-to-hdmi-connector
and
http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HDMI-Micro-Cable-Feet/dp/B003UH0Z9Q
I think that driver HDMI cannot load or hardware how to get EDID in android? please tell me any idea to test. I don;t have any idea
Thanks.

:stare:

Edit: If you guys are looking for a good CS/CE program, come to my university and I'll teach you all sorts of awesome, practical stuff.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 1, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Before getting to the actual content development phase of my game, I needed to make some enhancements to my level editor. Here's what I did this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX_MbNrGWRE&hd=1

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

Orzo posted:

Before getting to the actual content development phase of my game, I needed to make some enhancements to my level editor. Here's what I did this weekend:

Nice one, can't wait to see the content update videos now!

One thing I noticed in the previous video is how much fiddling you have to do for your editing, small optimisations you make now can save you hours over the length of development, it seems to me you should do two things:

1) Allow non square selections for copy+paste.
2) Keep the selection after a paste.

I can see why you went with square only when pasting, but rotating can be fixed, as long as the top left of the selection is always the top left after rotation.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Oh, you can definitely copy/paste any arbitrary rectangle, it doesn't have to be square. The square restriction is only for rotation.

The reason I put this restriction in is because the act of rotation is 'final'--there's no 'floating selection' that you can stamp into the level or anything. So, an accidental rotation of a rectangular area could wipe out tiles that you didn't intend on overwriting. If I changed the model to support a floating/temporary selection, I would definitely allow rotation of arbitrary sections.

As for keeping the selection after a paste, I'm not sure why that matters. The paste is a complete duplicate of the copy, so having the new one selected is identical for the purpose of continued pastes. Pretty much every graphical program makes the pasted content the new selection, so I'm wondering what you had in mind for why that would save time?

Thanks for the feedback and actually watching the video!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It isn't gameplay screenshots or anything, but I'm super happy with how our buttons are coming out.

... they're for an upcoming press thing that we can't officially announce yet but is probably easy to guess.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Orzo posted:

As for keeping the selection after a paste, I'm not sure why that matters. The paste is a complete duplicate of the copy, so having the new one selected is identical for the purpose of continued pastes. Pretty much every graphical program makes the pasted content the new selection, so I'm wondering what you had in mind for why that would save time?

I think he's referring to how after you paste floor tiles in the video, you need to select the area again to rotate it instead of the pasted content being the new selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Oh shoot, you're right. Well, it's literally a one-line fix; the 'paste' function (there are several defined, depending on the type of copy you did) optionally returns a new 'selection'--for example, the original selection, or a selection of the things you just created (which is what you're suggesting).