Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm glad to get so many responses, but I think with them all sort of conflicting I'm mostly back where I started. Will buy all of those games and see which clicks best for our first one to practice on. Is there any wisdom to the beginner character suggestions you see around?

Regardless of purchasing decisions Skullgirls has a demo on PSN/XBLA which includes about half of the tutorials asides from the most complex poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

just a butt posted:

Regardless of purchasing decisions Skullgirls has a demo on PSN/XBLA which includes about half of the tutorials asides from the most complex poo poo.

I'm actually playing those tutorials from the trial right now. I didn't bother to read what the limitations of the trial are, but the tutorials seem great so far and I'll probably buy it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Waterbed!

http://www.netherrealm.com/careers/detail/137334BR

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tekken Tag 2's tutorial is nice, although it's largely game-specific.

Edit: Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny has nothing but tutorial, too bad it's also game-specific. And on a PSP.

quakster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 29, 2013

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!
Honestly, if you're looking for a fighting game you can enjoy without spending that much time learning the basics I recommend Soul Calibur 5. It's super easy to get into, and doesn't have many difficult inputs. If you want to go deep you need to learn some just-frame stuff, but due to the game system almost everyone can have fun just messing around. It doesn't have a great tutorial system, but it's much easier to pick up than other fighters while still being a awesome game

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Soul Calibur 5 is a pretty good choice for that kind of thing really. The tutorial system isn't Street Fighter EX+Alpha style or anything, but there is information in the training mode that'll teach you the basics for each character. The create-a-character mode would be pretty fun too.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Dias posted:

The "character on the cover" is a good bet, but since Skullgirls doesn't have a cover, I'll say Filia is a very basic "airdasher" character. Since you might want to play teams, Peacock and Cerebella aren't too complicated either - the third being a weird grappler but with simplified motions for her grabs, so you won't even have to do 360s all the time.

?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

I applied to them a while ago and didn't hear back :) Thank you though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

AndyElusive posted:

It tends to be a good bet that the best starter characters to play will be whatever character has the most prominent presence on the box art. Honestly, this probably seems completely unconventional and stupid but you'll be surprised.

Unless you're playing Virtua Fighter, in which case you just picked Akira, and put yourself in a world of pain.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
We've been playing and enjoying Skullsgirls. Is the execution on the specials and combos really that much harder than other fighters? I am dropping combos like crazy but I figure that's just because I'm a complete beginner. The tutorials are really good and I've found some of them extremely challenging (and then extremely gratifying to finish), the air combos one I still haven't finished the last combo yet. Always screw up the special cancel into blockbuster at the end.

e: I really love Cerebella, I think I like her better than any of the characters I tried in SFIV.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 29, 2013

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Unless you're playing Virtua Fighter, in which case you just picked Akira, and put yourself in a world of pain.

Oh man, I honestly thought of that right after I typed that yesterday but figured the chances of them picking up VF5:FS were pretty slim.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

Oh man, I honestly thought of that right after I typed that yesterday but figured the chances of them picking up VF5:FS were pretty slim.
On that note, I've been meaning to pick up VF5 one of these days, seeing how DoA has traditionally been my favourite fighting game franchise and is generally considered to be a "Virtua Fighter Light" ... what IS a good starting character in VF?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PrBacterio posted:

what IS a good starting character in VF?

Pai, probably. All of her combos are rather easy to memorize.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PrBacterio posted:

On that note, I've been meaning to pick up VF5 one of these days, seeing how DoA has traditionally been my favourite fighting game franchise and is generally considered to be a "Virtua Fighter Light" ... what IS a good starting character in VF?

Kage or Jean Kujo. Can't go wrong with either when you're starting out.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

PrBacterio posted:

If you are playing Final Showdown then the best Beginners are Jean Kujo or Wolf(if you like grapplers). Pai and Kage both have a lot of tricky poo poo past babbys first PPPK so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to a beginner.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
As a newcomer to the VF series, I picked Brad and liked how he played.

Not sure how complex he is as a character but I thought he was fairly simple to pick up and play.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

General Morden posted:

Not sure how complex he is as a character but I thought he was fairly simple to pick up and play.

I played a fuckton of Jeffrey on Saturn, DC, and PS2, but Brad was the easiest for me to get into on PS3 so... even if he sucks as a beginner, you're in halfway decent company in that regard.

Or quarter-way decent.

Or, y'know what? I'll let myself out.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

General Morden posted:

Brad isnt too bad, but he's got a bunch of advanced stuff with his swaying/ducking.

Jean is almost certainly the easiest character to pick up if you're new to the series.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Since it looks like the KOF13 thread is dead, I was interested in picking up the game but I heard the netcode is awful, there's no local scene for me to play it in, so is there any point to getting the game as much as it appealsto me?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Interstellar Owl posted:

Since it looks like the KOF13 thread is dead, I was interested in picking up the game but I heard the netcode is awful, there's no local scene for me to play it in, so is there any point to getting the game as much as it appealsto me?

No, not really.

The netcode is fine if and only if you can find someone in your region with a decent connection. This is getting increasingly difficult because the community is shrinking for the game, and almost no one even tries to play online because the netcode outside of those specific parameters is really bad.

If you've got no local scene or anything like that, there's no particular reason to get into it. This hurts me to say because I loving love kofxiii and I hate that it's basically impossible to play unless you live in a major city.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Interstellar Owl posted:

I would play 98 or 2002 on ggpo instead. Those have pretty healthy communities. I just wish ggpo worked properly in windows 7. The real reason to buy kof13 is so that snk makes a kof14.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 30, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

There's a large playerbase for KOF13 near me, which is shocking. It's a really beautiful game.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Jeffrey posted:

I would play 98 or 2002 on ggpo instead. Those have pretty healthy communities. I just wish ggpo worked properly in windows 7. The real reason to buy kof13 is so that snk makes a kof14.

Since there's not much documentation to work with, what's wrong with GGPO on Windows 7? I get fairly frustrating connection problems when I play but I'm not sure if it's because of the OS or if it's just like that (I get the feeling that the servers are not really stable).

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

I play on ggpo with Windows 7 all the time, so I'm not sure what problems Jeffrey is experiencing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Redmark posted:

Since there's not much documentation to work with, what's wrong with GGPO on Windows 7? I get fairly frustrating connection problems when I play but I'm not sure if it's because of the OS or if it's just like that (I get the feeling that the servers are not really stable).

It's not the operating system. The GGPO servers are pretty shaky (given that it's really only supposed to be a tech demo, not a legitimate service) but the majority of problems with GGPO are the result of user error and/or incorrectly configured routers.

(If you've already forwarded your ports and can connect to games and only then have issues you can ignore everything I just said.)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not the operating system. The GGPO servers are pretty shaky (given that it's really only supposed to be a tech demo, not a legitimate service) but the majority of problems with GGPO are the result of user error and/or incorrectly configured routers.

(If you've already forwarded your ports and can connect to games and only then have issues you can ignore everything I just said.)

About half of my connections work and about half freeze on "connected to peer" or some such message.
One guy told me to logout and reconnect every time that happens so maybe it's just a bug :iiam:

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

drat, this is really disappointing cause I wanted another fighting game that isn't Injustice or SF4.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Redmark posted:

About half of my connections work and about half freeze on "connected to peer" or some such message.
One guy told me to logout and reconnect every time that happens so maybe it's just a bug :iiam:

Oh, yeah, that's just GGPO being flaky. Happens on every OS.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Interstellar Owl posted:

drat, this is really disappointing cause I wanted another fighting game that isn't Injustice or SF4.

Tekken Tag 2 is really good and has incredible netcode.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Platypus Farm posted:

Tekken Tag 2 is really good and has incredible netcode.

So does Virtua Fighter on both counts. I think he was asking for a 2D fighter, though? Persona 4 supposedly has good netcode.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

So does Virtua Fighter on both counts. I think he was asking for a 2D fighter, though? Persona 4 supposedly has good netcode.

Oh my bad. P4A does have good netcode, but it has a similar problem to KOFXIII in that the community is small and shrinking.

Another option is whatever the most recent blazblue game is. Those have good netcode too, and usually a decent following. Oh wait, he said SF4 or Injustice - maybe try marvel? For all the flak it gets, it's a pretty fun game, and though the netcode isn't the best, you'll still get good connections because so many people play it online that you'll likely get someone close by.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Windows 7 adds input delay to ggpo. It is supposedly fixed in newer final burn versions, but not the old one that ponder based his stuff off of. (It isn't the OS's fault, it is FBA's, but it may as well be from my angle.) Maybe it is still playable? Turning off Aero makes it better, but still not as good as windows XP.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
How feasible is it to play fighting games on a keyboard? I've been thinking of playing one of the KOF games on GGPO (or taking advantage of the current AE sale on steam), but I don't have a stick or controller or anything.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

Oh my bad. P4A does have good netcode, but it has a similar problem to KOFXIII in that the community is small and shrinking.

Another option is whatever the most recent blazblue game is. Those have good netcode too, and usually a decent following. Oh wait, he said SF4 or Injustice - maybe try marvel? For all the flak it gets, it's a pretty fun game, and though the netcode isn't the best, you'll still get good connections because so many people play it online that you'll likely get someone close by.

Oh I'll never play UMvC3 ever again, it's a total clusterfuck of a game and I find it broken as hell.. and yeah I would play it but I just find it hard to get into.

BlazBlue looked really appealing and really fun, but it looks super mechanically dense and hard to get into.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

How feasible is it to play fighting games on a keyboard? I've been thinking of playing one of the KOF games on GGPO (or taking advantage of the current AE sale on steam), but I don't have a stick or controller or anything.

I have a gamepad and stick but I still like playing on the keyboard every now and then.

I know for a fact that desk also likes playing on keyboard (but he's desk so yeah...)

If you really like playing on keyboard, you could also get a Hitbox...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

It's perfectly doable, just bear in mind that it doesn't transfer well to any other kind of portable controller. If you get into the genre seriously to the point where you're going to tournaments or to local play groups, you'll either have to figure out how to hook a USB keyboard up to a console and lug one around, or learn to play stick or pad.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It doesn't take that long to learn to play on keyboard, but then my only console is a Wii so I might be biased :v:

Other than 360/720s, the only real issue is pianoing properly so that you hit all the diagonals. Charging up Boxer's TAP in ST is pretty much impossible but he's so strong that it doesn't really matter.

Also, it may be obvious but don't try to use WASD or the arrow keys for movement, jump with your thumb instead. I tried that at the beginning and it was pretty painful. If a current configuration feels awkward switching hands on movement/attacks might help.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I've played SF4 on a keyboard on PC for a year or so and it's perfectly viable. You'll have problems doing certain kinds of motions at first (for example I'm still loving terrible at doing the flash kick motion) but you will have advantages in other areas (charge moves become ridiculously easy to use).

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Saoshyant posted:

VF5 netcode isnt very good but tekkens is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Windows 7 adds input delay to ggpo. It is supposedly fixed in newer final burn versions, but not the old one that ponder based his stuff off of. (It isn't the OS's fault, it is FBA's, but it may as well be from my angle.) Maybe it is still playable? Turning off Aero makes it better, but still not as good as windows XP.

It's not just input lag, it's erratic dropped frames and such. It's very noticeable if you have the issue, but not everyone seems to have it.

And yeah, the newer FBAs fix it but GGPO is running on an old as poo poo version of it.

• Locked thread