Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
So the full extent of discussion in the SA thread on climate change about the President's speech is half a dozen posts.

Not even goons can be bothered any more.

We are so screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beffer posted:

So the full extent of discussion in the SA thread on climate change about the President's speech is half a dozen posts.

We are so screwed.

It's a speech that neither announces bold new reforms nor openly condemns us to the abyss. What are we supposed to say?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm so loving sick of the term "job killer"

I can't even read the article on weather.com without seeing this comment on the top.

"...and Carbon dioxide is needed by plants to grow last time I checked."

I finally found someone that uploaded the video. World Star Hip Hop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO93F4KjcQg

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Beffer posted:

We are so screwed.

That's what happens when you elect a president who gives zero fucks about this issue.

Anyone who's been following this issue for a few years can tell you that the place to look for change isn't Washington.

a lovely poster fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 26, 2013

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Beffer posted:

We are so screwed.

It's also what happens when we are too late to correct climate change by oh, say a decade or two. The endgame now is a question of "just how bad is it going to get?" rather than "is it going to get bad?"

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Although one thing the speech did do was scare investors a little bit. They seem to be a skittish bunch anyhow, though.

Coal stocks down after speech

I don't even expect that to stick, though. I expect these stocks will rebound in a week, if not sooner when people realize that we aren't actually going to fix things... Again.

...Hooray!... :smith:

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Don't worry, everyone!

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/308155-imf-official-climate-change-will-create-jobs

quote:

Christine Lagarde, the managing director of the International Monetary Fund, said Thursday that climate change will drive job creation.

Climate change will create jobs. It will create disasters before it creates jobs, but it will create jobs,” Lagarde said on the MSNBC program “Morning Joe.”

Her remark came in a wide-ranging interview about the global economy. She cited climate change in response to a question about where job growth can occur at a time when workers are getting displaced by automation.

“It is a major issue, particularly at a time when robot-ization is developing in many of these advanced economies,” she said.

“But you know there will be areas of growth. You talk about green growth — that will be associated with particular jobs for which the training has not yet been invented and needs to be aggregated and put together,” Lagarde said Thursday.

There's work to do RIGHT NOW to address climate change. There's been work for thirty years. But she's right, there haven't been "jobs" to do this critical work, and there still aren't -- but she's probably not smart or honest enough to ask why there's work but no jobs.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just listened to the This American Life segment where they ask an Exxon scientist whether it's true that 20% of current known reserves will put us over the "everyone's hosed" 2 degrees C warmer on average line established by the U.N., and the answer they get back is "Yes, and with current projections we expect a 5 degree increase by the end of the century." I only have one question: is political violence justified by these circumstances?

I feel like if there was a cabal of supervillains getting together and announcing their plans to destroy Miami, New York, London, Shanghai, etc. etc. the U.S. special forces would be there before the end of the broadcast. Yet we have shareholder meetings of the big energy companies essentially announcing the same things and nobody is sending killteams after them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arglebargle III posted:

I just listened to the This American Life segment where they ask an Exxon scientist whether it's true that 20% of current known reserves will put us over the "everyone's hosed" 2 degrees C warmer on average line established by the U.N., and the answer they get back is "Yes, and with current projections we expect a 5 degree increase by the end of the century." I only have one question: is political violence justified by these circumstances?

I feel like if there was a cabal of supervillains getting together and announcing their plans to destroy Miami, New York, London, Shanghai, etc. etc. the U.S. special forces would be there before the end of the broadcast. Yet we have shareholder meetings of the big energy companies essentially announcing the same things and nobody is sending killteams after them.

Nobody went after the guy who called for lebensraum until Poles were getting shot at.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012
http://robertscribbler.wordpress.co...ture-this-week/

quote:

Overall, a broad swath from the American west and up into Canada is expected to experience temperatures between 10 and 35 degrees Fahrenheit above average. A visual representation of this incredible heat spike is provided by Weather Bell via Climate Central:

http://arctic-news.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/the-threat-of-wildfires-in-the-north.html

quote:

Zyryanka, Siberia, recently recorded a high of 37.4°C (99.3°F), against normal high temperatures of 20°C to 21°C for this time of year. Heat wave conditions were also recorded in Alaska recently, with temperatures as high as 96°F (36°C).

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

You piqued my interest and I read the transcript, and it's a wee bit vague:

quote:

But when it comes to the numbers at the heart of McKibben's argument, the numbers showing that if Exxon and other companies simply sell what is in their reserves, they will drive up the planet's temperature far more than two degrees, I asked Cohen and his PR guy, and the press people at the oil industry lobbying group, the American Petroleum Institute, several times for anything they might have that would dispute those numbers. And they didn't come up with anything. Finally, Exxon sent me to an industry-funded expert at MIT who told me not only that McKibben's numbers were solid but that in fact, at current rate of emissions, by the end of the century, we'll probably raise the planet's temperature five degrees.

I see no reason that Glass would lie, but I also see no reason that an unnamed MIT scientist is giving predictions far, far outside even the IPCC. "Probably 5C" implies >50% chance of a 5C rise in 87 years, presuming a 2000 baseline. AR4 climate models put the range at 1.7-4.4C with a median of 2.8C. 5C is nearly double the median, and much higher than the topline! That's also even above the A1F1 scenario median of 4C. And those are all 110 year models as opposed to 87 year models! You kind of need to assign a name when you have a scientist giving out that alarmist/outside the mainstream of a number.

And as we know from data, virtually all of the models are biased warm through 2013, with some of them so far above the observational data that the models are rejected/garbage:

http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ModelObsComparison_21001.png
Zoomed in: http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ModelsObsComparison_2020.png

So how anyone could look at the past decade of data and think 5C by 2100 is still a legitimate possibility boggles the mind.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Oh crap, please don't let this be true. I have to ride a fair distance each day, which is only possible when the temperature is below triple digits. :ohdear:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The American west makes up much less than 1% of the planet's surface (it's ~1% if you extend that into the Canadian portion of the image). Don't confuse localized weather with global climate. I'm guessing you didn't get up in arms about the extreme cold winter that the US had in some parts of the country during the late winter/early spring.

Globally, 2013 looks to be on par or colder than 2012 which was colder than 2011 which was colder than 2010. Data from NASA, as one example. Global temperature has been in relative stasis for about 12 years now; the 30-year trend is ~.15C per decade.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Hedera Helix posted:

Oh crap, please don't let this be true. I have to ride a fair distance each day, which is only possible when the temperature is below triple digits. :ohdear:

Don't worry; we will have suffocated from the extra CO2 by then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arkane posted:

So how anyone could look at the past decade of data and think 5C by 2100 is still a legitimate possibility boggles the mind.

So... you're saying I should take the AK back to the store?

InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm

Placid Marmot posted:

Don't worry; we will have suffocated from the extra CO2 by then.

Global warming... making it harder to stop global warming.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At what point will droughts become consistent enough that the cattle industry will just flop? I mean beef prices are already on the rise, but at what point do people say welp we need to supplement with more goat and rabbit meat?

Consistently beef has been on the rise but I am wondering climate wise and time frame wise when the industry becomes unstable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Depends on how much drought affects the herds. Last year saw massive reduction in American herd size because of the long drought, and it'll take a few years to regain the losses.

Ideally we'd just start growing meat in a lab, but that's a long ways off.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Arkane posted:

You piqued my interest and I read the transcript, and it's a wee bit vague:

I see no reason that Glass would lie, but I also see no reason that an unnamed MIT scientist is giving predictions far, far outside even the IPCC. "Probably 5C" implies >50% chance of a 5C rise in 87 years, presuming a 2000 baseline. AR4 climate models put the range at 1.7-4.4C with a median of 2.8C. 5C is nearly double the median, and much higher than the topline! That's also even above the A1F1 scenario median of 4C. And those are all 110 year models as opposed to 87 year models! You kind of need to assign a name when you have a scientist giving out that alarmist/outside the mainstream of a number.

And as we know from data, virtually all of the models are biased warm through 2013, with some of them so far above the observational data that the models are rejected/garbage:

http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ModelObsComparison_21001.png
Zoomed in: http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ModelsObsComparison_2020.png

Have you ever talked to climate scientists in real life Arkane? In my experience, when asked to show the evidence supporting warming they'll rattle off those 2-4C numbers, but when you ask for their opinions, scientists who'll only defend conservative warming estimates will gladly spout off every terrible prediction you can imagine. In my experience, most climate scientists believe there enough unknowns in climate models to produce far more warming than existing data indicates, and often believe the IPCC errs on the conservative side. Anecdotal, yes but it could explain some of the vagueness these statements.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Squalid posted:

Have you ever talked to climate scientists in real life Arkane? In my experience, when asked to show the evidence supporting warming they'll rattle off those 2-4C numbers, but when you ask for their opinions, scientists who'll only defend conservative warming estimates will gladly spout off every terrible prediction you can imagine. In my experience, most climate scientists believe there enough unknowns in climate models to produce far more warming than existing data indicates, and often believe the IPCC errs on the conservative side. Anecdotal, yes but it could explain some of the vagueness these statements.

I only have so many days to return this thing. Should I keep it and order the full-auto conversion kit or take it back? This thread is giving me whiplash.

Joking aside, seriously, would violence even slow down global warming at all? Did the gulf war slow it down (let's assume Hussein doesn't light the Kuwaiti oil wells.) Did the Iranian revolution slow it down? Did Exxon-Valdez slow it down? Do Nigerian insurgents attacking oil fields have any appreciable impact?

Does anyone else think maybe it's starting to be time to at least examine whether violence is an option?

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

Arkane posted:

Give it a rest pal. Even if your life's goal is to be really rich and powerful, in the end it isn't good to be a sucker with second-rate opinions about the world.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Arglebargle III posted:

I only have so many days to return this thing. Should I keep it and order the full-auto conversion kit or take it back? This thread is giving me whiplash.

Joking aside, seriously, would violence even slow down global warming at all? Did the gulf war slow it down (let's assume Hussein doesn't light the Kuwaiti oil wells.) Did the Iranian revolution slow it down? Did Exxon-Valdez slow it down? Do Nigerian insurgents attacking oil fields have any appreciable impact?

Does anyone else think maybe it's starting to be time to at least examine whether violence is an option?

If anything wars are going to accelerate climate change. Collective international action becomes difficult when people are shooting at each other, let alone trying to create new agreements. Further, just the nature of any war is going to foster huge releases of carbon. Whether it is the actual usage of weapons/vehicles or simply the mass creation of new ones. I guess in some kind of horrendous long term perspective a short brutal war that wiped out a large amount of the populace might slow down global warming. Still, considering that as some kind of solution is well within the realm of lunatics or the insane people who want to release mutated viruses to 'cull' the population.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

unlawfulsoup posted:

If anything wars are going to accelerate climate change. Collective international action becomes difficult when people are shooting at each other, let alone trying to create new agreements. Further, just the nature of any war is going to foster huge releases of carbon. Whether it is the actual usage of weapons/vehicles or simply the mass creation of new ones. I guess in some kind of horrendous long term perspective a short brutal war that wiped out a large amount of the populace might slow down global warming. Still, considering that as some kind of solution is well within the realm of lunatics or the insane people who want to release mutated viruses to 'cull' the population.

Nuclear war could also have a Krakatoa effect.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Arkane posted:

The American west makes up much less than 1% of the planet's surface (it's ~1% if you extend that into the Canadian portion of the image). Don't confuse localized weather with global climate. I'm guessing you didn't get up in arms about the extreme cold winter that the US had in some parts of the country during the late winter/early spring.

Globally, 2013 looks to be on par or colder than 2012 which was colder than 2011 which was colder than 2010. Data from NASA, as one example. Global temperature has been in relative stasis for about 12 years now; the 30-year trend is ~.15C per decade.

This line of reasoning makes me want to stab my brain with a screwdriver. Yeah, global temperatures haven't seen a huge jump in the past 12 years, but they're still so much higher than they've been in the past. Since natural variation and climate cycles (e.g. PDO, AO) have such a large impact on year to year temperatures, very little information can be extracted from 12 years of data. Generally, you want to look at a minimum of 20-30 years of climate data, but once you factor in autocorrelation, you end up with less than half of that in your effective sample size. To get a realistic trend, in most cases, you need 40-50 years of climate data. Don't tell me our climate isn't warming because warming has been slower the past decade. Additionally, saying that 2011 and 2012 are cooler than 2010 is like saying ice isn't cold because space is really cold. 2010 (~tied with 2005) is the HOTTEST year on record. Statistically, any time you reach a high (low) record, it's very likely the next several points in a time series will be lower (higher). 2011 and 2012 were both hot years. You're also ignoring that the oceans are absorbing huge amounts of heat, which has kept our surface temperatures from increasing more, and that trend hasn't really changed. The oceans are also still warming.
A pretty good method of quantifying climate change is to look at climate extremes. In a given year, track the number of hot/cold records produced. If they balance, you have a relatively stable climate. However, if they skew in one direction or the other, over the period of several years, it becomes pretty clear the climate is heading in that direction. You can find an example of that kind of data here:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/records/

quote:

Last 365 Days Jun 29, 2012 - Jun 28, 2013
Hi Max Hi Min Lo Max Lo Min
18,934 22,389 15,136 11,420

Squalid posted:

I'm a climate scientist (Post-Master's, with one peer-reviewed publication. Also, I contributed to the -- currently draft -- 2013 National Climate Assessment and the DOI report to the President, which influenced his recent speech -- although his speech was pretty disappointing). I work primarily with sea ice and climate model output. What I publish, and publicly discuss, is far less extreme than what I think could happen. I'm not saying the worst case scenario WILL happen, I'm saying it COULD happen. A difficulty with projections is the level of uncertainty we have to face. That starts with emissions scenarios, which is why we work with several scenarios (by emission scenario, I'm referring to the amount of CO2/CH4 that will be pumped into our atmosphere over the next X years). Beyond that though, projections are inherently flawed. They are useful tools, and the best tools we have for figuring out what could happen, but they are flawed. Since we know what the flaws are, we err on the side of caution. I do not think this is always the best way to work, since the 'worst case' scenarios are actually milder than the worst case scenarios we can imagine or model. Even the most extreme emissions scenario for IPCC 5 is behind our CURRENT emissions. In my published paper, I concluded that based on IPCC 4 models, we could expect a sea-ice free September in the Arctic by 2070. Given the limitations I worked with, I did say that was a very conservative estimate, and it could happen sooner, but because of model limitations, I couldn't honestly say exactly how much sooner. I was also working with a milder emissions scenario. I'm currently working on a second paper, using IPCC 5 models. I used a more robust selection process, and the models I'm working with are much more in the 2050 realm, but I think even that is a conservative estimate. It's what I will publish, but given the string of extreme sea ice loss events (2004, 2007, 2012), we can expect another extreme event in 2016-2018, 2019-2021, 2023-2025, and so on. Given the losses we've seen over those periods (~.5 million sq km per 4 years), we could see it gone between 2030 and 2040. Multi-year/thick sea ice plays a huge role in this too, and with so little thick ice left, sea ice is melting much faster in the spring.
So, yes, when you ask me for evidence based on what I can show with current, observed melt rates, extrapolated over the next several years, or what I can show with climate models, I'll give you one estimate (e.g. 2050-2070). Ask me for what I think will really happen, and I'll give you 2030-2050, based on all the above information. It's all speculative. Some scientists have shown these estimates to be reasonable, for the above reasons (also, sea ice sensitivity to ocean temperature changes), but I can't prove that based on my research. So I publish what I can show, but my actual thoughts on the matter are more extreme than what I publish.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 29, 2013

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

unlawfulsoup posted:

I wish I could find it again, but I read something a while ago about the effect that WWI had on the weather/climate. The relatively static nature of the western front, combined with the endless artillery fire, exploding gas/HE shells and millions of marching troops and horses would kick up giant dust clouds high up into the atmosphere. You would always know when you are approaching the front because you would see a huge oppressive dust cloud just hanging over the front at all times, like a blanket. The dust apparently helped increase condensation in the atmosphere and helped bring more rainfall over some areas, and was likely one reason why it was so unusually wet and rainy during the 1917 Flanders campaign. So the troops fighting in waist-deep mud and flooded trenches at Passchendaele brought that weather upon themselves, in a way.

It made me wonder what effect WWII might have had. So many burning cities and huge battles must have done something.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Dreylad posted:

Ideally we'd just start growing meat in a lab, but that's a long ways off.

Tissue culture requires incubators, culture hoods, sterile spaces, autoclaved instruments, large amounts of plastic, culture media (which itself generally uses bovine or other large animal serum), antibiotics, and close human supervision. I'm not clear on where the idea that tissue culture is less carbon-intensive than just raising the animals comes from, but I'd be very surprised if it were actually the case.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Paper Mac posted:

Tissue culture requires incubators, culture hoods, sterile spaces, autoclaved instruments, large amounts of plastic, culture media (which itself generally uses bovine or other large animal serum), antibiotics, and close human supervision. I'm not clear on where the idea that tissue culture is less carbon-intensive than just raising the animals comes from, but I'd be very surprised if it were actually the case.

Everyone just eat bugs already, God drat

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Clipperton posted:

Everyone just eat bugs already, God drat

Someone always jokes about this but it seems like it ought to be a reality. Like most (e: western) people I'd have trouble eating bugs that looked like bugs, but I'd be okay with eating some kind of processed protein that happened to come from bugs as long as it was unrecognizable by the time it got to me.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Torka posted:

Someone always jokes about this but it seems like it ought to be a reality. Like most (e: western) people I'd have trouble eating bugs that looked like bugs, but I'd be okay with eating some kind of processed protein that happened to come from bugs as long as it was unrecognizable by the time it got to me.

I'm not joking at all, and I don't even give a poo poo about looks. Bugs have a massively lower footprint than cows (I'm told) and are packed with proteiny goodness, bring me some fried grasshoppers on a stick already.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

Malgrin posted:

Given the losses we've seen over those periods (~.5 million sq km per 4 years), we could see it gone between 2030 and 2040. Multi-year/thick sea ice plays a huge role in this too, and with so little thick ice left, sea ice is melting much faster in the spring.

This guy is still suggesting this year, apparently based on ice fractures and the motion from wind, waves, cyclonic action etc.

http://www.sierraclub.ca/en/AdultDiscussionPlease#.UcNtX1G7rxI.wordpress

Also, why don't you add what you think to what you publish? Aren't we at the point where what we can show is so far behind what is happening (owing to the accelerating rate of change) that you've got little to lose by adding what you really think? Conservative positions continue to represent the problem as one we can solve later.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Ronald Nixon posted:

This guy is still suggesting this year, apparently based on ice fractures and the motion from wind, waves, cyclonic action etc.

http://www.sierraclub.ca/en/AdultDiscussionPlease#.UcNtX1G7rxI.wordpress

Also, why don't you add what you think to what you publish? Aren't we at the point where what we can show is so far behind what is happening (owing to the accelerating rate of change) that you've got little to lose by adding what you really think? Conservative positions continue to represent the problem as one we can solve later.

I'm not sure I agree with him. As far as extent goes, we're at ~11 million sq. km., whereas last year we were at 10. All it would take would be some strong storms (see 2007), apparently cyclones -- mentioned in his article, or extremely hot weather (like Alaska right now) to see a sudden drop in sea ice extent. I think it's unlikely. Given an extreme event, it's always likely that the next few years will be more mild -- see 2007 through 2011. I understand his reasoning, and it could happen, but I think it is unlikely.

As for publishing what you think, when it's your master's thesis, you publish what your committee thinks you should publish. Additionally, depending on your journal reviewers, going too far will get you rejected. I agree though. I went as far as I could, saying these were conservative estimates and we'll likely see less ice sooner.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Malgrin posted:

This line of reasoning makes me want to stab my brain with a screwdriver. Yeah, global temperatures haven't seen a huge jump in the past 12 years, but they're still so much higher than they've been in the past. Since natural variation and climate cycles (e.g. PDO, AO) have such a large impact on year to year temperatures, very little information can be extracted from 12 years of data. Generally, you want to look at a minimum of 20-30 years of climate data, but once you factor in autocorrelation, you end up with less than half of that in your effective sample size. To get a realistic trend, in most cases, you need 40-50 years of climate data. Don't tell me our climate isn't warming because warming has been slower the past decade. Additionally, saying that 2011 and 2012 are cooler than 2010 is like saying ice isn't cold because space is really cold. 2010 (~tied with 2005) is the HOTTEST year on record. Statistically, any time you reach a high (low) record, it's very likely the next several points in a time series will be lower (higher). 2011 and 2012 were both hot years. You're also ignoring that the oceans are absorbing huge amounts of heat, which has kept our surface temperatures from increasing more, and that trend hasn't really changed. The oceans are also still warming.
A pretty good method of quantifying climate change is to look at climate extremes. In a given year, track the number of hot/cold records produced. If they balance, you have a relatively stable climate. However, if they skew in one direction or the other, over the period of several years, it becomes pretty clear the climate is heading in that direction. You can find an example of that kind of data here:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/records/

I said the 30-year trend right in the post, man. Nothing in there was an attempt to be misleading; it was to give perspective. And I think it is completely fair to point out that weather extremes - and they are WEATHER extremes (with the heat being caused by changes in the jet stream) - should not be used to bolster an argument in the absence of other information. If it were part of some global phenomenon like the 1998 ENSO event, then sure, but just isolating singular weather patterns and ignoring trends is disingenuous -- and indistinct from saying "hey Al Gore it's snowing in April."

On your second point, you seem to take it for granted that the oceans are absorbing huge amounts of heat -- Trenbeth's "missing" heat, to be specific. There's two reasons you shouldn't take this for granted: (1) the deep ocean research is built upon models, and not direct observations, so these could be (and if you will permit me editorializing, probably are) as wrong as the climate models and (2) it's entirely possible that deep oceans can be getting warmer AND that climate models could be grossly exaggerating temperature rise. There isn't a mutual exclusivity in those two occurrences. In fact, the mere existence of "missing heat" (whether it is in the ocean or nowhere at all) implies yet again that our climate models are severely limited by our lack of knowledge of major variables (with cloud cover, as always, still being an unknown feedback).

As to your last point about temperature extremes, I think a much simpler method of quantifying climate change is to look at global climate. What you've linked to are temperature records that cover 1.85% of the globe.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

Malgrin posted:

I'm not sure I agree with him. As far as extent goes, we're at ~11 million sq. km., whereas last year we were at 10. All it would take would be some strong storms (see 2007), apparently cyclones -- mentioned in his article, or extremely hot weather (like Alaska right now) to see a sudden drop in sea ice extent. I think it's unlikely. Given an extreme event, it's always likely that the next few years will be more mild -- see 2007 through 2011. I understand his reasoning, and it could happen, but I think it is unlikely.

Time will tell I suppose - not long to wait either.

quote:

As for publishing what you think, when it's your master's thesis, you publish what your committee thinks you should publish. Additionally, depending on your journal reviewers, going too far will get you rejected. I agree though. I went as far as I could, saying these were conservative estimates and we'll likely see less ice sooner.

Fair enough for yourself, but it's definitely a problem of the system. The way peer-reviewed science came about was a great mechanism for stable conundrums (e.g. the solar system arrangements, gravity, evolution) but for rapidly changing circumstances it is inadequate. The response time is too slow, and by the time you are confident (with the typical meaning) in the findings, they have become obsolete. So we're replacing the danger of acting quickly on bad info with acting slowly on old info.

Personally I think instead of quoting confidences and likelihoods, scientific articles on this issue should assert things forcefully in the main text, and relegate caveats to footnotes. The way it is now is so self defeating - "Here's what might happen! It's bad!", quickly followed by "...but that badness is within a range, and less badness in another range, and the possibility of goodness in another...". The message gets lost.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

I meant like terrorism. Like, should we start examining whether physically attacking the oil industry and its leaders is a viable tactic.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ronald Nixon posted:

Fair enough for yourself, but it's definitely a problem of the system. The way peer-reviewed science came about was a great mechanism for stable conundrums (e.g. the solar system arrangements, gravity, evolution) but for rapidly changing circumstances it is inadequate. The response time is too slow, and by the time you are confident (with the typical meaning) in the findings, they have become obsolete. So we're replacing the danger of acting quickly on bad info with acting slowly on old info.

Personally I think instead of quoting confidences and likelihoods, scientific articles on this issue should assert things forcefully in the main text, and relegate caveats to footnotes. The way it is now is so self defeating - "Here's what might happen! It's bad!", quickly followed by "...but that badness is within a range, and less badness in another range, and the possibility of goodness in another...". The message gets lost.

This would not be science; this would be political activism. Already way too prevalent of a problem in the field.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Arglebargle III posted:

I meant like terrorism. Like, should we start examining whether physically attacking the oil industry and its leaders is a viable tactic.
Only one way to find out. Get back to us, okay?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

Only one way to find out. Get back to us, okay?

Yeesh stop advocating violence dude!

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hop on over to the prison thread to see what's in store for you!

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Arkane posted:

I said the 30-year trend right in the post, man. Nothing in there was an attempt to be misleading; it was to give perspective. And I think it is completely fair to point out that weather extremes - and they are WEATHER extremes (with the heat being caused by changes in the jet stream) - should not be used to bolster an argument in the absence of other information. If it were part of some global phenomenon like the 1998 ENSO event, then sure, but just isolating singular weather patterns and ignoring trends is disingenuous -- and indistinct from saying "hey Al Gore it's snowing in April."

On your second point, you seem to take it for granted that the oceans are absorbing huge amounts of heat -- Trenbeth's "missing" heat, to be specific. There's two reasons you shouldn't take this for granted: (1) the deep ocean research is built upon models, and not direct observations, so these could be (and if you will permit me editorializing, probably are) as wrong as the climate models and (2) it's entirely possible that deep oceans can be getting warmer AND that climate models could be grossly exaggerating temperature rise. There isn't a mutual exclusivity in those two occurrences. In fact, the mere existence of "missing heat" (whether it is in the ocean or nowhere at all) implies yet again that our climate models are severely limited by our lack of knowledge of major variables (with cloud cover, as always, still being an unknown feedback).

As to your last point about temperature extremes, I think a much simpler method of quantifying climate change is to look at global climate. What you've linked to are temperature records that cover 1.85% of the globe.

I was specifically pointing out where you said temperature had been stable for the past 12 years. That is not a conclusion you can make based off 12 years of climate data. While I am pulling this -> straight out of my rear end, the confidence intervals would likely show a possibility of either significant increasing or decreasing temperatures over that time period.
I take no issue with the 30 year trend of .15 per decade. The way you phrased the 12 year thing immediately came off to me as misleading, as it's one of the first things that deniers like point to as evidence that our climate has stopped warming (ie cherry picking data).

Ocean temperature warming is not solely directed by climate models...try this non-peer reviewed summary of a recent peer reviewed publication:
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/at-the-edge/2013/05/29/is-more-global-warming-hiding-in-the-oceans
Yes, this involves climate models, but it also uses data from NASA's Challenger. Also, there are a plethora of studies that indicate warming ocean surface temperatures based on observations. So, even if we ignore "missing heat" and deep ocean heat/models, we still have evidence that more warming is going into the oceans than into surface temperatures.
1) Sure, research built upon models is uncertain, at best.
2) Certainly. However, as for your last point, NCAR (CCSM, CESM, etc) have done a lot of work with cloud cover with their CMIP 5 models. Their work indicates that while you have some degree of negative feedback from clouds, it has a rather small impact on our climate. As models become more robust, they do better. I've experienced this working with output from both CMIP3 (AR4) and CMIP5 (AR5) models for temperature, precipitation, winds, and sea ice (while my specialty is in the last, I work with a group of scientists that have analyzed the AR4 and AR5 models for all those outputs).

Yes, I recognize that link only covers a small portion of the globe, but if you look into other major sources of climate data around the globe, you find similar results: the net number of positive extremes far outweigh the net number of negative extremes. As Earth is mostly water, it's pretty important to develop better measurement systems of our oceans to determine temperatures so that we can keep similar records.
This is neither a complex nor a difficult analysis to perform, and it is one more piece of evidence that our climate has significantly changed. It also then allows you to link specific heat waves (like the current one) without equating weather and climate. Instead of saying, it snowed in April, or, it was hot in June, you get to say, over the past year, we broke x number of heat records, but only y number of cold records. Over the past decade, we've continued to break more heat records than cold records by z percent. It builds a pretty strong message about how the current weather we are experiencing is more likely due to our changing climate. And yes, I recognize that not every place on the planet is experiencing an extreme heat event at the moment, but it's more likely to happen than 150 years ago.

Edit:

Ronald Nixon posted:

Arkane posted:

This would not be science; this would be political activism. Already way too prevalent of a problem in the field.

I go as far as, better represent what you think in your published articles, with sound argumentation; I don't go as far as relegating caveats to footnotes. We are working with climate models (or trend analyses or what have you), and looking into the future is so uncertain that it could be considered political activism. My adviser has a favorite saying: all models are wrong, some are useful.

I have been informed the above phrase, "All models are wrong, some are useful" belongs to Jay Forrester.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Arkane posted:

Examples? I'm curious if you're referring to ecoterrorism or East Anglia or what.

Edit: Disregard, actually; I missed the context of what you were quoting but get it now. Presumably you are referring to exaggerations of the impact of climate change as well as the more trenchant of denialist dismissals.

And I disagree with your definition of political activism. It sounds like what you're describing is negligence or misconduct. I can get crafty with my findings and present my conclusions any way I want without expressly attaching a political agenda to my work. Without the agenda, I think calling it political activism is a tough sell, unless you're talking about HuffPo op-eds and Al Gore quotes, which is hardly science and isn't at all what the OP was referencing.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 30, 2013

• Locked thread