Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder who he could play in the new game.

I've never watched Bones, so I only really know Boreanaz as Angel; with that in mind, given what we've seen of XV's characters so far, I would say all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm still really disappointed that FFXV didn't end up a musical so we could talk this boy band thing to its logical conclusion.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

After hearing his voice as Xehanort in KH: Birth by Sleep, Leonard Nimroy should play this guy:

And Christopher Lee should play Noctis' dad:

Well, OK, maybe his voice wouldn't suit him. I'm 100% certain that the red-haired guy is going to be voiced by Quinton Flynn, since both he and the Japanese voice actor also played Axel and Reno.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dr Pepper posted:

KH2s into was probably the best storytelling in the game.

Then the pacing completely collapsed and the troubled development became obvious.

True that. Roxas was infinitely more interesting than Sora or the rest of KH2.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It feels weird that after all these years, we suddenly have actual information about the game, and stuff like interviews about what's going on with the development.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

It feels weird that after all these years, we suddenly have actual information about the game, and stuff like interviews about what's going on with the development.

When they decided to move it to next-gen consoles, they probably couldn't talk about it without Sony and Microsoft getting upset. I have no idea what went wrong for them during Sony's February presentation, but they must have been wanting to unveil it then, and had to show off the Agni's Philosophy tech demo again instead.

Also, Square Enix got a new CEO recently, and one of the things he promised to stop doing is keeping fans in the dark for years on end. They've at least been a little upfront about why the game's had such a troubled development, due to the all-hands-on-deck needed to complete XIII and XIV: A Realm Reborn. Although those two are out of the way, they still need to finish the Luminous Engine, and move development to it. Although the game's been in full development for just under two years now, and in the last year they decided to ditch the PS3, but I'd guess they are still 1.5-2 years away from finishing it.

Just because they showed it off in 2006, doesn't mean they've had a full studio working on it non-stop. They had a very small team work on the game in 2010 to produce the gameplay demonstration seen in the 2011 trailer, and a few months after that they started full development. I don't know how long PS4 games take to develop, but I'm sure SE don't want the same problem as XII and XIII taking over five years each. Since the pre-production was mostly completed years ago, there shouldn't be the same issue with XIII being stitched together from whatever assets had been made up to that point, with a story haphazardly written around it.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Hopefully we get a full next gen FF game this console cycle and not just a XV-2, XV-3 on XV's patchwork engine.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Final Fantasy XV-II: Agni's Philosophy. Featuring customizable beards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^
[e]: Yeah, Billy Zane was great.

I keep wondering what Christopher Lee's thoughts were as he read through the script - "Mickey Mouse? Kingdom what? Keyblade? *pfft* whatever. They're paying me for this poo poo, at least."

You're talking about a guy that was literally James Bond when he was younger and has recorded a Power Metal album within the last couple years, with said album being about Charlemagne (whom he's descended from). He doesn't seem like the kind of person to be surprised by much of anything.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

Final Fantasy XV-II: Agni's Philosophy. Featuring customizable beards.

Individual sliders for beard thickness and curliness is where the next gen truly lies.

I hope that at least Noctis' early costume is unlockable in the game, since although I prefer his new Roen-designed outfit, being able to finally play the trailer from 2006 would completely make my day.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Just started 13-2. Are there any cutscenes actually worth watching or should I skip them all?

In 13 for example the game looks gorgeous but the story is dumb as hell, so I'd watch the introduction to Pulse and the racetrack but skip everything else.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Just started 13-2. Are there any cutscenes actually worth watching or should I skip them all?

In 13 for example the game looks gorgeous but the story is dumb as hell, so I'd watch the introduction to Pulse and the racetrack but skip everything else.

The characters aren't nearly as annoying as the ones in 13, but the story isn't amazing or anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watch every cutscene with Snow in it. I don't know what it is about Snow in 13-2, but he is far more enjoyable in that than 13. Probably because he's not a major character in it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

There is an attempt at a funny sequence of events later in the game with the baby flans, so if you see those guys around it is okay. It doesn't quite connect, but they play a bunch of speed metal while they hop around attacking stuff so that is pretty alright.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Obligatory "I can't believe there are people that play a video game while skipping all the cutscenes." post.

Because I honestly can't believe there are people that play a video game while skipping all the cutscenes. If I'm playing a game that actively repels me from some of its content, instead of accomodating it I usually just don't play that game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

fount of knowledge posted:

Obligatory "I can't believe there are people that play a video game while skipping all the cutscenes." post.

Because I honestly can't believe there are people that play a video game while skipping all the cutscenes. If I'm playing a game that actively repels me from some of its content, instead of accomodating it I usually just don't play that game.

A dumb story in video games should not really be put on the same level as a dumb story in other mediums. Especially in Final Fantasy, a series that has had like 3 good stories out of the myriad of ones they've tried telling (I'm mostly narrowing that to the main games).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

A dumb story in video games should not really be put on the same level as a dumb story in other mediums. Especially in Final Fantasy, a series that has had like 3 good stories out of the myriad of ones they've tried telling (I'm mostly narrowing that to the main games).

I think the point is that FFXIII-2's gameplay isn't good enough to stand on its own, so why bother playing the
game if you skip all the story? I think most people at least want some basic context for what they're doing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fount of knowledge posted:

I feel this way too, but each their own.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sex_Ferguson posted:

And most of those bad stories don't have gameplay worth sitting through their terrible plots (I'm looking at you FF4,8,13, and 13-2)

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd say VI, IX, and X all have the most acceptable stories (if you sort of ignore the last 10% of IX.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

dukerson posted:

I'd say VI, IX, and X all have the most acceptable stories (if you sort of ignore the last 10% of IX.)

How do you skip over VII, a game lauded for its story?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dukerson posted:

I'm replaying 9 now and I wouldn't call Zidane's traveling band of people who watch other people do things much of a story even before the world merging absurdity kills off what little plot there was. There's some neat world building and some occasional hints that the story could have been worth paying attention to but it just completely falls apart maybe halfway through the second disk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm replaying 9 now and I wouldn't call Zidane's traveling band of people who watch other people do things much of a story even before the world merging absurdity kills off what little plot there was. There's some neat world building and some occasional hints that the story could have been worth paying attention to but it just completely falls apart maybe halfway through the second disk.

It's probably easier if you consider the first two and a half discs Dagger's story. While Zidane is a great lead as well as a supporting character, his crisis point doesn't occur til late Disc 3 and gets resolved in basically five minutes. Dagger and Vivi are the real stars and have strong stories that build steadily throughout the game (Dagger's ending when you get the Hilda Garde 3, while Vivi takes a backseat from Mt. Gulg until the end of the game).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's really more the queen's story. Dagger spends most of the game as a macguffin.

I'd say I stopped caring right around the point where the game has you get stomped by Beatrix for the third time in 2 hours of play. Really rubs in how little agency your party has, which continues for the entire game.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 1, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Nobody remembers how it really went and made up half of everything from what they remember at the time.

Like, people still believe Cloud was super-emo and couldn't get over his old love Sephiroth and that the entire game was you chasing his footsteps.

That is how people remember FFVII and praise its story. :psyduck:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Renoistic posted:

I think the point is that FFXIII-2's gameplay isn't good enough to stand on its own, so why bother playing the
game if you skip all the story? I think most people at least want some basic context for what they're doing.

I really don't agree because I find 13/13-2's gameplay to be some of the most enjoyable in the series, but that in and of itself is subjective. I honestly don't care about context and never have, I didn't need reason to make Bartz cast mime on some dudes, I did it because it was fun. Video games don't have great stories and acting like that should have a big effect on the gameplay is pretty unfair given that's supposed to be the important part and it's especially when the story influences the gameplay in FF I have a problem with it.

Like every time 6 has you split up characters to do certain parts of the story, that was infuriating because I was sometimes stuck with characters I hadn't ever touched and was forced to put up with it.

dukerson posted:

VI, IX, and XII, were the ones I was referring to. X's story relies too much on most of the characters being pretty dumb, two of the characters go through actual character development and a lot of the plot twists aren't really that satisfying to wrap up the story. That being said, the game does have some really good stuff when it is good. like Jecht and Auron's entire stories.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Because it's actually a really goofy story that sort of ends up taking itself really seriously despite the actual material being pretty goofy. FF7's one of my favorite games in the series, but most people who like the series enough have to kind of admit, the story is really drat goofy and that's not really a bad thing it's just not a good story, not that there is anything wrong with that. Let me phrase this in another way, when the big plot twist of the story is that the Sephiroth you were actually chasing is not the real Sephiroth, he's a clone of which there are several and Cloud is one of those clones who gained the current personality he had through the death of another guy and mako poisoning and the actual Sephiroth is hiding in a giant crater made from his alien mother's cells. That's the kind of ridiculous stuff that needs so much extra context and explaining, it's kind of a detriment.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 1, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's a core story to FFVII that has parts that are one of the relatively few examples of well-done video game storytelling that actually takes advantage of the medium's properties to enhance the story.

The rest of it is basically strung together largely by virtue of the next location being the only route to advance through on the world map. Why go to Rocket Town? Dunno, but there's a thing there and I don't see anywhere else to go.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

VI, IX, and XII, were the ones I was referring to. X's story relies too much on most of the characters being pretty dumb, two of the characters go through actual character development and a lot of the plot twists aren't really that satisfying to wrap up the story. That being said, the game does have some really good stuff when it is good. like Jecht and Auron's entire stories.

I recently replayed through X and I was surprised by how strong a lot of the central plot was. Spira is I think one of the strongest Final Fantasy worlds and all of the small acts in the game (sending, the unsent, etc.) build to Yunalesca and the central idea of sorrow and hope and all that (incidentally quite similar to VI, the more I think of it.) I agree that the plot twist is unsatisfying, but I don't think its even necessary to appreciate everything else.

XII, on the other hand: I thought the central plot was mediocre. I loved the presentation and aesthetic of the game, but I felt like the plot was nothing new or interesting. (Still my #4, though.)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Final Fantasy VII has this problem where one, it's poor translation makes the twists kind of hard to follow, and two, enormously vital backstory is tucked away in easily-missed optional scenes.

There's probably an argument to be made that infodumps of that nature should be strictly optional so as not to impede the gameplay, but for gently caress's sake, this is an RPG. If you don't want to dig into that stuff on occasion, why the hell are you even playing?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Paracelsus posted:

The rest of it is basically strung together largely by virtue of the next location being the only route to advance through on the world map. Why go to Rocket Town? Dunno, but there's a thing there and I don't see anywhere else to go.

Then again, there are plenty of stories that have the protagonists heading towards a goal and showing the events that happen along the way.

It's common in video games because it provides a simple way to drive the plot around gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mazed posted:

Final Fantasy VII has this problem where one, it's poor translation makes the twists kind of hard to follow, and two, enormously vital backstory is tucked away in easily-missed optional scenes.

There's probably an argument to be made that infodumps of that nature should be strictly optional so as not to impede the gameplay, but for gently caress's sake, this is an RPG. If you don't want to dig into that stuff on occasion, why the hell are you even playing?

The amazing thing is that some of these scenes weren't even in the original Japanese release, which is probably why they're tucked in seemingly random places.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Of the FFs I've completed, I'd offer up X and XII as having the best central plots. Ironically, I would look to other FFs if you want the best characters. XII in particular was saved by a stupendous cast of side characters as they had to prop up the mostly forgettable main characters. (and I use the term "main characters" very lightly. Almost every last Imperial of note feels more engaging and relevant than Vaan, Penelo, Fran and Bsch put together)

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Because it's actually a really goofy story that sort of ends up taking itself really seriously despite the actual material being pretty goofy. FF7's one of my favorite games in the series, but most people who like the series enough have to kind of admit, the story is really drat goofy and that's not really a bad thing it's just not a good story, not that there is anything wrong with that. Let me phrase this in another way, when the big plot twist of the story is that the Sephiroth you were actually chasing is not the real Sephiroth, he's a clone of which there are several and Cloud is one of those clones who gained the current personality he had through the death of another guy and mako poisoning and the actual Sephiroth is hiding in a giant crater made from his alien mother's cells. That's the kind of ridiculous stuff that needs so much extra context and explaining, it's kind of a detriment.

I dunno if I'd agree with that. It's bizarre most certainly but all fantasy and science fiction is bizarre when viewed from our mundane point of view.

Take Jurassic Park. It's not exactly the best story ever written or anything but if you just read the summary of "dinosaurs were cloned from ancient mosquitoes and then placed in an amusement park" you would write the whole thing off as goofy. Yet the story does manage to establish an air of credibility and suspense.

I guess it doesn't help that I can think of much "goofier" plots than FFVII's when just talking about JRPGs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Of the FFs I've completed, I'd offer up X and XII as having the best central plots.

Now, XII I can't speak for, having never managed to continue playing after "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA" out of sheer embarrassment, but X having a good story? X has one of the silliest, stupidest stories I've ever heard. The main plot is full of twists that are either completely obvious from very early on in the game and yet still treated as a huge, dramatic shock("Summoners die at the end of their journey" being treated as if anyone hadn't figured that out around the time they show up in Killika), or that just don't make any loving sense(My father is an angry magic whale but that's not exactly true because technically neither of us exist, we're dreams).

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

NikkolasKing posted:

Of the FFs I've completed, I'd offer up X and XII as having the best central plots. Ironically, I would look to other FFs if you want the best characters. XII in particular was saved by a stupendous cast of side characters as they had to prop up the mostly forgettable main characters. (and I use the term "main characters" very lightly. Almost every last Imperial of note feels more engaging and relevant than Vaan, Penelo, Fran and Bsch put together)

Ivalice games always place Ivalice as the front-and-center portion of the story, with the characters just serving as the player's eyes and ears.

FFT: An account of the b-plot of the War of the Lions, which happens to involve the Beoulve clan
Vagrant Story: Exploring the mysteries of Lea Monde, which happens to involve a guy named Ashley
FFTA: An exploration of the "I'll show you all!" fantasies of Mewt, a child with inadequacy issues, which happens to involve the new kid at school
FFTA2: I don't remember, something about books, I spent most of the game humiliating people in the auction house and helping some guy write a newspaper
FFXII: An account of how Archades and Rozzaria stood at the brink of war, which happpens to involve some street kids who tagged along with the Princess of the kingdom caught in the middle
Revenant Wings: A side-story about a magic floating island, which happens to involve the aforementioned street kids turned sky pirates

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

That loving Sned posted:

After hearing his voice as Xehanort in KH: Birth by Sleep, Leonard Nimroy should play this guy:

And Christopher Lee should play Noctis' dad:

Well, OK, maybe his voice wouldn't suit him. I'm 100% certain that the red-haired guy is going to be voiced by Quinton Flynn, since both he and the Japanese voice actor also played Axel and Reno.

I've always thought Patrick Stewart would be awesome to voice the 'old king' type characters. He's actually done it a few times as well. I would also prefer Ian McKellen over Christopher Lee.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 1, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dauntasa posted:

or that just don't make any loving sense(My father is an angry magic whale but that's not exactly true because technically neither of us exist, we're dreams).

But it does make sense.

It's all perfectly consistent with the world and magic the story presents.

Stop acting like if a fantasy story uses magic in it's plot it doesn't make sense.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And half the twists of FFX aren't twists to anyone except Tidus and thus the player. Which actually rocked, because those elements were so ingrained to the setting that the others never even thought that explaining poo poo was necessary.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr Pepper posted:

But it does make sense.

It's all perfectly consistent with the world and magic the story presents.

Stop acting like if a fantasy story uses magic in it's plot it doesn't make sense.

XII is actually more ridiculous to me because despite most of the game's plot being fairly grounded in reality, there's still the issue of a street urchin and a dancer being able to fight on par with a knight, former judge, master of weapons, insurgent resistance member, let alone being able to defeat servants of the gods.

X is still a little baffling with Tidus only just learning to use a sword and managing to keep up with trained guardians and giant dream whales, but I... guess he's a... really good athlete?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty much every RPG has a nobody end up being able to do absurd stuff like that though.

Also, I don't think it was ever said that Tidus had just first used a sword at the start of the game, just that Auron gave him one at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

XII is actually more ridiculous to me because despite most of the game's plot being fairly grounded in reality, there's still the issue of a street urchin and a dancer being able to fight on par with a knight, former judge, master of weapons, insurgent resistance member, let alone being able to defeat servants of the gods.

X is still a little baffling with Tidus only just learning to use a sword and managing to keep up with trained guardians and giant dream whales, but I... guess he's a... really good athlete?

He's also capable of becoming a planet wrecking monstrosity (and was expected to do so) just like his dear old dad. Of all the FF games Tidus is probably the single most overpowered lead character in the franchise.