Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Stealth Suit Configuration Menu is my favorite since it lets you toggle on and off each individual feature of the suit as well as adjust the thresholds for when it applies Stimpaks and Med-X, but requires the Mod Configuration Menu. If you'd rather not have the latter for some reason, Shut Up and Disable Stealth Suit Voic does the job but, as you would expect, shuts the voice up, too, so hopefully that's not a dealbreaker. I'm sure there's a third alternative floating around somewhere if it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Stealth Suit Configuration Menu is my favorite since it lets you toggle on and off each individual feature of the suit as well as adjust the thresholds for when it applies Stimpaks and Med-X, but requires the Mod Configuration Menu. If you'd rather not have the latter for some reason, Shut Up and Disable Stealth Suit Voic does the job but, as you would expect, shuts the voice up, too, so hopefully that's not a dealbreaker. I'm sure there's a third alternative floating around somewhere if it is.

Thank you!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

From what I can tell, its left pretty ambiguous as to whether the NCR or the Brotherhood actually started the fighting. It could go either way.

EDIT: A loading screen says "Due to disagreements over how technology should be controlled in the wasteland, the Brotherhood of Steel waged a long and bloody war against the NCR. Despite superior equipment and training, the Brotherhood went into retreat." The way that's worded, it seems the Brotherhood started the war.

According to the Fallout Wiki (who I generally trust on minor lore details) the Brotherhood started it when a change of leadership shifted more in the direction of hardliners who caused things to get tense between both parties. However, that's apparently from Van Buren and there's basically no hard facts about the war other than that the Brotherhood has all but lost and is only still kicking because their natural habitat is unassailable underground military installations.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/NCR-Brotherhood_War

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 24, 2013

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The Brotherhood does as much damage to itself as any outside foe. If only someone could make them care.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've decided to finally take the plunge and do a Legion playthrough just so I can play around with a Courier named Agesilaus.

:agesilaus:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So it's apparently stupidly difficult to get the Remnants to help you out if you're doing the Legion route. I did most things Legion side to get rep up with them (killed Forlorn Hope, beat everyone in the Legion arena, did whatever Vulpes asked, did the Boomer quest. Basically everything except saving the interrogation guy, since NCR wouldn't let me in). But Arcade won't start up his sidequest until I install Yes Man, which dips me all the way to Smiling Troublemaker with the Legion and fails all quests I had with them. Tsh.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I found Melee to be so effective for the most part that I'd occasionally check to see that I hadn't accidentally set the game to Easy. Of course I kept a few ranged weapons handy for cazadores and Deathclaws right enough; strictly Melee could get reeeeal hard under the right circumstances.

Want a real easy time? Go for Energy Weapons, stock up on Electron Charge Packs, and buy yourself a SPRTEL-WOOD 9700. The game plays itself at that point. I ripped through Lonesome Road effortlessly with it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone know how to fix the transparent gun thing when using enb settings? Apparently SSAO causes it? How would I turn that off?

Edit: I'm not home yet but I'll try the read only for thing when I get home, thanks.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Mustang posted:

Anyone know how to fix the transparent gun thing when using enb settings? Apparently SSAO causes it? How would I turn that off?

Edit: I'm not home yet but I'll try the read only for thing when I get home, thanks.

This mod right here will partially fix the problem: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49420//?. Make sure to follow his instructions on shader modification. The only thing that this mod and the further shader tweaking will not fix is iron sights. The only fix for that is disabling detailed shadows and ambient occlusion in the enbseries file. That's pretty drastic and would probably make the game look a lot more poo poo than just having some partially see-through iron sights some of the time. It sucks, but I don't know there you can really eliminate the problem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now all there is to do is get rid of the terrifying stretching and texture warping that happens when a Steam overlay message pops up and we'll be gold!

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

CJacobs posted:

Now all there is to do is get rid of the terrifying stretching and texture warping that happens when a Steam overlay message pops up and we'll be gold!
Is turning off the Steam overlay an option?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

DeathChicken posted:

So it's apparently stupidly difficult to get the Remnants to help you out if you're doing the Legion route. I did most things Legion side to get rep up with them (killed Forlorn Hope, beat everyone in the Legion arena, did whatever Vulpes asked, did the Boomer quest. Basically everything except saving the interrogation guy, since NCR wouldn't let me in). But Arcade won't start up his sidequest until I install Yes Man, which dips me all the way to Smiling Troublemaker with the Legion and fails all quests I had with them. Tsh.

If you've already got as far as getting the Boomers on side, it's not gonna work. Basically you need to have not gone along with anything that House, NCR or Legion want up until after you install Yes Man, without getting a negative relationship with the Legion. Installing Yes Man at that point will trigger Beware the Wrath of Caesar!, but shouldn't automatically fail everything. Then you can continue along the Legion questline.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Has anybody ever attempted to make Fallout 1 or 2 as a mod for New Vegas? Because I'd mark pretty hard for that and no new art assets would really be needed.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

It'd still be an incredibly massive amount of work, and anyone a big enough fan to do so would just play the actual games. They've aged pretty well, 2 more so than 1. I'm not sure it'd transfer over well either.

Edit: It'd be incredibly hilarious to see someone turn off free shooting and force you to use VATS in a classic sort of way. Hmm..that might be an interesting way to run the game actually...provided you turned off all the bonuses of VATS.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 30, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zeron posted:

It'd still be an incredibly massive amount of work
Obviously. But it'd still be a pretty cool project. I find Fallout 1 almost unplayable these days, and I played 2 through at least once per year from its release until New Vegas came out.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

LividLiquid posted:

Has anybody ever attempted to make Fallout 1 or 2 as a mod for New Vegas? Because I'd mark pretty hard for that and no new art assets would really be needed.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48095/

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
drat, I'll be keeping an eye on that. Being node-based is a good way around my objection, that being able to see the Cathedral from Shady Sands, inevitable in a Bethesda style open-world game, would detract from the scale of the game. Being able to flee sounds good too, if they can make enemies tough enough to emulate that Fallout 1 "you are small and weak in a big, hostile world" feeling.

I do wish they'd had an opening area to emerge into when you leave the Vault. For all Fallout 3's faults, coming out of the vault for the first time and being dazzled by the sunlight before seeing the ruined world was an amazing moment, and I kind of felt an equivalent was missing in Fallout 1. Purists would probably go nuts if there was a derelict town to explore right near vault 13 like Sunnyvale or whatever in F3, but then purists would go nuts about the very idea of porting Fallout into a 3d first-person game, so whatever. They also don't seem to be using the original voices, or I'm misremembering how the Overseer talked. Still, looks very impressive and I hope they manage to finish it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

2house2fly posted:

drat, I'll be keeping an eye on that. Being node-based is a good way around my objection, that being able to see the Cathedral from Shady Sands, inevitable in a Bethesda style open-world game, would detract from the scale of the game. Being able to flee sounds good too, if they can make enemies tough enough to emulate that Fallout 1 "you are small and weak in a big, hostile world" feeling.

I do wish they'd had an opening area to emerge into when you leave the Vault. For all Fallout 3's faults, coming out of the vault for the first time and being dazzled by the sunlight before seeing the ruined world was an amazing moment, and I kind of felt an equivalent was missing in Fallout 1. Purists would probably go nuts if there was a derelict town to explore right near vault 13 like Sunnyvale or whatever in F3, but then purists would go nuts about the very idea of porting Fallout into a 3d first-person game, so whatever. They also don't seem to be using the original voices, or I'm misremembering how the Overseer talked. Still, looks very impressive and I hope they manage to finish it.

I really kinda wish they'd bring back the node-based system. You'd be able to show off the inhabited areas much better and have a lot more of them.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

I really kinda wish they'd bring back the node-based system. You'd be able to show off the inhabited areas much better and have a lot more of them.

Me too - seeing the timer spin on while you travel made the world feel truly empty and desolate., FO3 and NV feel like bustling hives of life and activity in comparison.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

gender illusionist posted:

Me too - seeing the timer spin on while you travel made the world feel truly empty and desolate., FO3 and NV feel like bustling hives of life and activity in comparison.

Which at least works for NV. New Vegas treats the region like its busy enough that it feels right for there to simultaneously be people all over the place, as well as unexplored ruins and poo poo a half-mile away. 3 meanwhile is really inconsistent.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

2house2fly posted:

There, is, in fact, a similar moment in Fallout upon exiting the cave. Don't run immediately to the zone exit and /or check the message history. I seem to vaguely remember the screen flashing white, but that may be just me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

There, is, in fact, a similar moment in Fallout upon exiting the cave. Don't run immediately to the zone exit and /or check the message history. I seem to vaguely remember the screen flashing white, but that may be just me.

I seem to remember no visual effect but rather a text message popping up along the lines of "You have reached the entrance to the Vault, your eyes see natural light for the first time."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I seem to remember no visual effect but rather a text message popping up along the lines of "You have reached the entrance to the Vault, your eyes see natural light for the first time."

I haven't actually played Fallout in months (something I should rectify), but I could've sworn there was some visual effect. Oh well.

It was a neat effect that for once your eyes were treated as actual eyes and not just a walking (rolling) camcorder, but the effect is immediately forgotten and never used again.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

gender illusionist posted:

Fallout 1 takes place 80 years after the great war, New Vegas is set around 120 years after that. Considering that society rebuilding and advancing is major theme in the series, it makes sense there would be more people, and they've built more things in that time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, but there's also the fact that you can walk from one side of the map to the other in an extremely small amount of real and game time. Walking from V13 to Shady Sands takes about a day and a half in game. From Goodsprings to Primm takes a couple of hours in game, maybe. Goodsprings to loving vegas is maybe a day. In game.

Also NV is set in... 2785 I think? FO3 was 2277, with the War having happened in 2077. The first battle for Hoover Dam was several years after that, and NV several years after that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SpookyLizard posted:

Also NV is set in... 2785 I think?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Who are the most entertaining companions? I've never played much of FNV before and I just got Boone, and I THINK Cass is a companion I got the first time I played. I stopped playing the first time because my mods weren't working right but now I got everything working smoothly.

I was hoping there was more to Boones wife being kidnapped but he just says he doesn't want to talk about it and wants to kill legion troops. I guess I'm cool with that, seeing as how their assassins ambush me all the loving time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mustang posted:

I was hoping there was more to Boones wife being kidnapped but he just says he doesn't want to talk about it and wants to kill legion troops. I guess I'm cool with that, seeing as how their assassins ambush me all the loving time.

Keep doing important NCR-vs.-Legion quests with Boone, and you'll find the "more" that you're curious about.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Is it possible to do a "perfect" companions playthrough, doing all their unique quests in one go and such?

I almost always go it alone in 3/NV (partly because I get jumpy as gently caress and the companions' footsteps have caused some friendly fire mishaps), but I'd like to see that content.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Boy oh boy am I bad at maths

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Byzantine posted:

Is it possible to do a "perfect" companions playthrough, doing all their unique quests in one go and such?

I almost always go it alone in 3/NV (partly because I get jumpy as gently caress and the companions' footsteps have caused some friendly fire mishaps), but I'd like to see that content.

It should be, there's an achievement for at least being able to recruit everyone, and I can't think of any impossible barriers to completing any companion sidequests caused by another companion sidequest. But a Legion ending is probably not in the cards.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Byzantine posted:

It is possible to do all the companions' quests in the sense that none of them directly conflict, but doing so may require a wee bit of metagaming. Three companions (Boone, Arcade, and Raul) gain "points" for being present at certain events or conversations, some of which are one-time only. If you don't pick up enough points, they won't bring up their quest.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Lock Knight posted:

It is possible to do all the companions' quests in the sense that none of them directly conflict, but doing so may require a wee bit of metagaming. Three companions (Boone, Arcade, and Raul) gain "points" for being present at certain events or conversations, some of which are one-time only. If you don't pick up enough points, they won't bring up their quest.

Of those however, only Boone is really prohibitive. Many of Boone's points are a tied to completing specific quests in specific ways while he's present, and there are fewer opportunities to gain favor with Boone than there are with Arcade or Raul.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm fairly certain that all companion quests *can* be done at any time (assuming non-psychopathic play), but some of them basically require you to always use them or read a wiki. It's one of NV's handful of flaws.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

StandardVC10 posted:

It should be, there's an achievement for at least being able to recruit everyone, and I can't think of any impossible barriers to completing any companion sidequests caused by another companion sidequest. But a Legion ending is probably not in the cards.

You could say that... the game was rigged from the start. :frogc00l:

I was really excited this thread popped up on the first page of Games again, was hoping there was some new news or Ropekid did a thing or something. Welp :smith:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I'm fairly certain that all companion quests *can* be done at any time (assuming non-psychopathic play), but some of them basically require you to always use them or read a wiki. It's one of NV's handful of flaws.

If you do certain quests before starting Rauls or Roses quests you can actually be locked out from ever completing them due the quests bugging out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I can't think of a way you could really gently caress up Cass's quest, unless you just wantonly slaughter both Alice McLafferty and the Van Graffs first, but I thought if at least one of them was alive you'd be okay? Barring a Legion victory Arcade's is almost impossible not to get, because he has so many instances that will give him a couple of points. Same with Veronica, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to travel with Veronica outside of triggering that multiple companions glitch.

Raul's you can very much gently caress up by talking to three specific old people too early, and Boone's requires a lot of work too, because there's only so many events and most players are going to be indiscriminately slaughtering Legion anyway at a certain point.

I have no idea how to start Lily's quest, though. I had her as my companion for like 80% of one playthrough and it never triggered.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

StandardVC10 posted:

Which is sort of unfortunate, because Boone's Legion endings if you complete his companion quest are loving badass.

Boone makes amends over Bitter Springs:
Boone refused to take the Legion's victory lying down. Heading to the hills with his rifle, he began a deadly campaign against high-ranking Legion officers. And though the price on his head rose to levels unheard of, few pursued it, fearing it would be the last thing they'd never see.

Boone becomes vengeful over Bitter Springs:
Driven mad by Caesar's victory at Hoover Dam, and unable to escape his memories, Boone staged a suicide mission against the Legate. Fighting as he wished he would've fought on the day of his wife's death, he brought down scores of Legionaries before being caught. Before his crucifixion, he was brought before the Legate, who expressed his admiration for Boone's reckless abandon. Boone spat tobacco in his eye, for all of Caesar's armies to see.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 1, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I have no idea how to start Lily's quest, though. I had her as my companion for like 80% of one playthrough and it never triggered.
You have to get her to frenzy in combat (just light her up with an assault carbine if the enemies are too weak to do it) and talk about it, always make sure you've exhausted all her dialogue options. She says a couple of things during normal gameplay which you might miss, so check periodically to see if she said them (you'll have new conversation options). You also have to rest or wait with her in your party at least once. It seems glitched; my wife played and couldn't get it to come up, then I played more recently and it all happened within an hour.

Edit: apart from Raul's, Lily's is the only one I can see requiring a Wiki, because unless you're playing on Very Hard you'll probably be high-level enough to stroll through anything short of deathclaws by the time you recruit her, and as a melee fighter you're obviously not going to take her deathclaw hunting. You also very rarely need to wait, and at high levels you rarely need to rest either.

Edit: maybe Ed-E too, I somehow didn't even find that sucker my first time through the game.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I can't think of a way you could really gently caress up Cass's quest, unless you just wantonly slaughter both Alice McLafferty and the Van Graffs first, but I thought if at least one of them was alive you'd be okay? Barring a Legion victory Arcade's is almost impossible not to get, because he has so many instances that will give him a couple of points. Same with Veronica, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to travel with Veronica outside of triggering that multiple companions glitch.

Raul's you can very much gently caress up by talking to three specific old people too early, and Boone's requires a lot of work too, because there's only so many events and most players are going to be indiscriminately slaughtering Legion anyway at a certain point.

Lily you just need to keep in your party until she gets badly hurt (which depending on skill, difficulty, being a loving nightkin etc may not happen) and then talk to her, so maybe bugs? I'm sure Raul can be done at any point, since on both my playthroughs I picked him up late and still finished it (although one did require summoning Loyal, but I think that's a bug.) Fallout wiki informs me that Boone's can be permanently missed, but it should work out as long as you keep him around whenever you're fighting Legion.