Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What I dont get is how people in eternally warm places like cali and florida dont commute all the time. The only reason I stop commuting by motorcycle is because the ground gets covered in ice, snow and salt for half the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I dont get is how people in eternally warm places like cali and florida dont commute all the time. The only reason I stop commuting by motorcycle is because the ground gets covered in ice, snow and salt for half the year.

I commute year round, but lately motorcycles have decided not to run for me. I've ridden at 14f in the winter. Honestly I may take the bus some this next Winter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They just don't love enough.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

In SoCal I am basically running my car once a week to prevent it from dying and commuting completely by bike.

70 and sunny every day :sun:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

In SoCal I am basically running my car once a week to prevent it from dying and commuting completely by bike.

Future quote from me in the winter: gently caress you :mad:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

:mad:t

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

Hashal posted:

So far I'm looking at Prodeco bikes. The more I look, the more I'm thinking about getting one for myself to ride to work and around town as well. They are made in the USA, but not sure where the motors are from. 2 year full warranty, while all the other brands look to be 1 year. And prices are about $700-$1,000 less than the other major brands; Chinese stuff excluded.

500 watts seems to be the sweet point for power and price at around $1,300. The 300 watt ones aren't a whole lot cheaper, and the 700 watt ones jump up to the $2,000+ price point.

Looking at this Phantom X for myself.

And something like this Stride for her.

Still need to decide if the price is worth it.

I've recently been looking to replace my car and looking into e-bikes to do it. I live in downtown Seattle and the car is costing me $400/month just in parking, insurance, and gas alone, and I don't really need it given how good public transit is and how bike-friendly the infrastructure is. I also just got laid off, so while I have a good chunk of savings to prop me up for a while, I want to bring my monthly burn down with some good long-term investments.

There's a place near me that specializes in e-bikes, so I went in and took some test rides. Prodeco is really nice, it seems that Phantom X-2 is a very popular model, though functionally similar to the Storm and Genesis. However, you should know that there are two types of e-bikes. The first is manual, which is what the Prodeco models are. These are operated with a throttle on the handlebars, and the engine only kicks in when you manually activate it. So basically, it's a regular bike that you can squeeze some juice into to conquer hills or just coast for a little bit while you drink a coffee. The second is Pedal Assist, which activates while you pedal and amplifies your speed and power. It makes you feel like superman, but since it's not manual, you can't be really selective or coast with them. There are a few makes of bike in the same price range as the Prodecos that use this, so it's really up to you.

That being said, the shop had just gotten a few of these in:

This is a Polaris Vector. It's a new line of bike that Polaris is making (they're well-known for their other electric vehicles, and their tech is thusly really solid and well-researched). The battery is integrated into the body for better center of gravity, it features BOTH manual and pedal assist, and has a feature that I've only seen on $3000+ Ohm bikes - regenerative braking and coasting. Plus it has an integrated computer that shows your power level, mileage, etc. I took one for a spin around the block and up some hills and it was far and away my favorite, very smooth ride with lots of options for control.

It's pricier than the Prodecos, at around $2200 on sale right now. Still, I want to make a good long-haul investment, so I'm probably going to pick one up as a car replacement. It has the power and controls I want, it's a comfortable ride, and it'd be great for getting to work without me breaking a sweat and having to pack a change of clothes or feel gross for the day, though I can just kill the power and take it mountain biking when I want a workout. And as a functional replacement for my car, even though it's pricy, it'll pay for itself within 6 months.

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 30, 2013

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Mission is finally selling the RS:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/05/mission-motorcycles-rs

Everything about it sounds phenomenal.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
They had one on Jay's Garage, looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyYAJgEblrA

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That sound. :fap:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I like to think of the mic peaking as lightning bolts shooting out of the nonexistent tailpipe.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I keep imagining a MotoGP 20 years from now with bikes that howl and screech due to their exotic cooling set ups, rumours that Yamaha are switching to a new special sauce motor winding to get around the winding cross-section regulations.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Speaking of eBike racing the TTZero race is upon us and McPint on the Mugen Shinden Ni has qualified 1st @ 109 mph. MotoCyzzz is close behind w two bikes @ 107 and 104. The race is at 2:45 am PST on Wednesday for those keeping track and it could be close and will definitely be a record pace.

Oh yeah this thing launched too (unrelated to racing for now...)
https://mission-motorcycles.com

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those would solve the largest issue with the Brammo given the range figures. Those batteries must be loving expensive, my god. Hope I get the chance to see one in person soon...do you guys have dealerships/any chance of getting a test ride?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I should try to clear up the confusing Mission Motors/Mission Motorcycles thing. I work for the former. The latter is a new company that has licensed our bike design and will be using our powertrain. As such I don't have as much insight into what's happening.

As to dealerships and test rides that is still a ways off. I think the RS is slated to launch in 2014 and the R after that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

That bike seems to have traction issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

That bike seems to have traction issues.

"It's working....IT'S WORKING!!!!!"

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
An electric motorcycle beat every other motorcycle up Pikes peak.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/carlin-dunne-lightning-motorcycles-pikes-peak-race-results/

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Don't electrics have an advantage on that because their power stays constant, while the ICE bikes run out of air above 10,000ft?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's also short course, but it's impressive nonetheless. You can't mock them when they're slow then point out their advantages when they win.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KTM Official Fanpage posted:

23 August
Hey guys, we need your help and assistance!
During the night from Thursday, 22nd August 2013, to Friday, 23rd August 2013, someone broke into the KTM E-Cross-Center in Munderfing (AT). 9 KTM Freeride E bikes and 18 batteries were stolen – neither the KTM Freeride E bikes nor the batteries are commercially available, with that not for sale!

We ask you , the KTM Community, for your support. In case you have information on this burglary please report to the nearest police station.

Probably just opportunists but one has to wonder...

Introducing the new LiFan "Liberty Orange" electric dirt sport motorcycle for great enjoyment and happy environment concern!

:siren:EDIT: I was at the local KTM dealer at lunchtime ordering a new chain and sprockets and he was complaining about the KTM sites being down (they have a dealer website for ordering parts etc). When I checked it after I got back I noticed the "COMING SOON" banner has been removed from the Freeride E page:siren:
http://www.ktm.com/us/freeride/freeride-e/highlights.html#.Uh4mnZKsh8E
:dance:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 28, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
BMW remembered that they did a bunch of press releases 1 year ago for the BMW C Evolution and just decided to dust them off and present them as new for the Frankfurt show:

quote:

If you’re in the market for an electric scooter, your options are limited to cheap, gutless two-wheelers with cobbled-together drivetrains and questionable reliability. The electric scooter market needs a bigger player to up the game, and BMW is doing just that with the introduction of the C evolution.

Maxi-scooters are massively popular in Europe, so it’s no surprise that BMW will be launching the C evolution on the continent next year. But despite looking like the similarly styled C 600 Sport, BMW’s first electric scooter is completely designed from the ground up.

The eight-kWh, air-cooled lithium-ion battery — a little smaller than the pack fitted to our long-term Zero DS — forms the chassis, connecting the forks up front to the swing arm out back. Rather than stick the electric motor directly to the rear hub, ruining handling in the process, BMW mounted it on the swing arm, which then drives the rear wheel through a belt.

BMW rates the electric motor at 11 kW — or 15 horsepower — with a temporary boost to 47 HP and an impressive 53 pound-feet of torque when you twist the grip. Range is rated at over 60 miles in mixed riding, with a 0-60 MPH time of 6.2 seconds, and the ability to top up the pack from zero to full in four hours using a 220-volt outlet.

LED lighting, ABS, and even heated grips are standard, as is an incredibly trick TFT display for keeping tabs on speed and range. And like most EVs, the C evolution has a series of settings that can either maximize performance or range, along with regenerative braking and an integrated traction control system that cuts torque if the rear wheel starts spinning faster than the front.

But for now, it’s a Euro-only affair, with sales slated to begin across the pond next year.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/09/bmw-c-evolution/#slideid-85961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDq8qZjZD1k

Now if they would only release some figures and dates, I can start crunching some numbers to make this work out.

I do 9100 miles a year just commuting to and from work, and if 87 is $4/gal it comes out to $1040 in fuel costs alone and an oil change + oil analysis @ $80. Hopefully there will be some electric vehicle tax credit, as well.

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 12, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Electric bikes are awesome, I've wanted to read up on them for the past couple years (and think I'm almost at the point where I can). It really seems like we're starting to get to the point where electric vehicles are a bit less of a novelty too, with BMW's new car and all.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

SquadronROE posted:

Electric bikes are awesome, I've wanted to read up on them for the past couple years (and think I'm almost at the point where I can). It really seems like we're starting to get to the point where electric vehicles are a bit less of a novelty too, with BMW's new car and all.

Just bought this after a fair amount of research and riding different options. It is a cargo bike (no kit yet) without going long tail.

Granted not a E-moto, which seem to be getting very nice, but no more cars or motos for me.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 16, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I just want my whisper quiet DS/SM. Stealth wheelies and illegal offroading without the sound of my exhaust ripping apart the universe will finally be possible.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I just want my whisper quiet DS/SM. Stealth wheelies and illegal offroading without the sound of my exhaust ripping apart the universe will finally be possible.

You should be able to convert the KTM Free ride...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aargh posted:

You should be able to convert the KTM Free ride...

This is my plan. Looks like I'll be able to get one in the new year.

My boss says I can charge it at work :getin:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a motorcycle next year, and I really like the idea of an electric bike. Is it a stupid idea to consider getting an electric motorcycle as a first bike? I'd imagine it would be easier to drive since it does away with the clutch. Of course the obvious downside is the price. What do you guys think?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Proper use of the clutch and gear shifter is actually the easiest thing about learning to ride a motorcycle. From every other standpoint that matters to a beginner, an electric motorcycle is basically just a gas-powered motorcycle with half the range. You still need to learn how to brake, how to corner, how to countersteer, how to handle different road conditions, how to know when a car is about to do something stupid. You still need a motorcycle license and you ought to be wearing the same kind of gear. You'll still knock it over or drop it at some point and it will still really piss you off when it happens, except it'll be an $11k electric bike instead of a $2k Ninja.

On top of that, if you don't learn to operate a manual transmission, you won't be able to ride any of the gas-powered motorcycles you'll inevitably want to try when you get into the sport.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Clutching/shifting is the least favorite aspect of controlling a motorcycle for me.

Inexplicably, VICE decided to cover the coming of the Mission RS & R production bikes. Highlight: It gets ridden by a very practical SV owner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1CSdYsJIWQ

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That clip really irritated me. It was clearly produced by and for computer nerds and not bike guys.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The 2014 lineup for Zero is out.

If they could ever get these things to around 5k, I'll buy one on the spot.

http://www.slashgear.com/zero-motorcycles-2014-lineup-offers-up-to-171-mile-range-06304392/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Same. I would absolutely love an electric bike that can hit 60 mph in 3.3 seconds and has a 171 mile range...but it looks like you'll be paying nearly 20 grand for that.

On the other hand, I've seen used Zeros on Craigslist for about 5-6k which isn't too bad if you can handle the total lack of range in the older models.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The older zeros are totally poo poo.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
http://technology.ttelectronics.com/images/uploads/productdatasheets/TTelectronics_E-Bike_Inverter.pdf
TT Electronics, the guys who KTM contracted for the electronics package on the Freeride E, have released a marketing whitepaper on the project. It's not very in depth but it gives away some interesting details I haven't seen elsewhere.

The first bike was air/fan cooled, but they switched to water cooling early on.

You can ride for a minimum of 10 hours straight at race pace without any expected issues from overheating.

It has capacity for a normal 12v system for lights and equipment (the e is a pure motocrosser so maybe it won't come with lights or even a loom but they can be added, hello Acerbis).

Each battery has its own integrated BMS and safety cut off in addition to the bikes main cut off.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

ReelBigLizard posted:

Probably just opportunists but one has to wonder...

Introducing the new LiFan "Liberty Orange" electric dirt sport motorcycle for great enjoyment and happy environment concern!

:siren:EDIT: I was at the local KTM dealer at lunchtime ordering a new chain and sprockets and he was complaining about the KTM sites being down (they have a dealer website for ordering parts etc). When I checked it after I got back I noticed the "COMING SOON" banner has been removed from the Freeride E page:siren:
http://www.ktm.com/us/freeride/freeride-e/highlights.html#.Uh4mnZKsh8E
:dance:

The Freeride E is the first electric bike I'm actually really excited about. Coming from a downhill mountainbike background (and enjoying the quiet/nature part of it), it just seems like the ultimate machine. Being able to brap things quietly and scream back up the hill after a run would just be epic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I signed up to go and demo the new stuff Zero makes at at demo day next weekend. I was interested in just trying out the regular S model, but they were proud to tell me that they're going to have the SR there -- 107 ft-lb of torque from zero RPM. I didn't really know how much torque that was, sounded like a lot, but I wasn't really sure, so I decided to look it up in comparison to some other bikes.

It is nearly 2.5 times what a CBR600RR makes.

It is 10% more than a Ducati 1199's maximum output.

:ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Torque is sort of a weird measurement when it comes to electric bikes because they're basically guaranteed to be wheelbase limited from a stop. The whole "Full torque from ZERO RPM!" thing is more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

Anyways, you should go to scuderia at 6:30PM and listen to the brammo guys do a tech talk. I'll be there kicking around, white and blue helmet, ask Paul where the Aerostitch mafia is hanging out and he'll point you towards me and my housemate :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd like to but my bike's acting up again. Dunno what's wrong with it right now but it just feels low on power and there appears to be a small oil leak from the head. Might be nothing, but I'm still paranoid about every little abnormal thing after the engine blew up last year. Might be getting time to let things go and move on to something newer and more reliable.

If i had $15,000 to burn, a basically no-maintenance electric bike sure would be nice...

• Locked thread