Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

LeviathanGunship posted:

I have a question about visor tinting (which maybe relevant to you guys doing the awesome Daft Punk costumes). I'm currently working on a Protomen costume but unfortunately the helmet I bought does not have have a decently tinted visor, so I'm lookiing for low-cost ways of tinting my clear visor. The two best options I've seen so far are tinting it with RIT dye (which seems too light for me) or going with a spray tint like Night-Shades. Has anybody tried these methods before and if so how effective were they?

Depending on the color the Halo guys paint it.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/16910-Tutorial-Make-amp-Paint-Your-Own-See-through-Visor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
That Machete and Sons stuff is really gorgeous. I do a ton of costume custom sewing and pricing is always my biggest struggle.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Well, I really lucked out today. I managed to find a faux-leather white jacket, along with some nice white slacks at a Le Chateau outlet. The jacket only cost me $25! Well worth the hunt, and cheap enough that I don't mind modifying it. :)

Now I just have to find that perforated fabric so I can make the panels. I plan on just cutting them to size and getting the edges done, then gluing into place.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

TwystNeko posted:

Well, I really lucked out today. I managed to find a faux-leather white jacket, along with some nice white slacks at a Le Chateau outlet. The jacket only cost me $25! Well worth the hunt, and cheap enough that I don't mind modifying it. :)

Now I just have to find that perforated fabric so I can make the panels. I plan on just cutting them to size and getting the edges done, then gluing into place.

You mean something like this?

http://www.sailrite.com/Headliner-Perforated-White-54

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
That's perfect! Thanks! Now that I know what to look for, I should be able to find it locally.

I also think I'm going to take the (slightly) easier route for the gloves - I'll just make the handplates out of EVA foam, since it's super simple to work with, then seal it / coat it.

also: fffffffffffuuck. I was test attaching the visor with some tape, and managed to get a finger print in the paint job. So I figured, "No problem, I'll just sand that out and spray it again."

Now I've got black specks in the paint job, runs everywhere, and it's just gone completely downhill.

I'm gonna leave it for a couple days, then sand it back down to the primer layer, and start again. :(

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

TwystNeko posted:

also: fffffffffffuuck.

I know exactly how you feel. It's that 'Oh poo poo' snowball moment when everything goes pear shaped in mere seconds. Take a deep breath, walk away and come back later.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

TwystNeko posted:

That's perfect! Thanks! Now that I know what to look for, I should be able to find it locally.

I also think I'm going to take the (slightly) easier route for the gloves - I'll just make the handplates out of EVA foam, since it's super simple to work with, then seal it / coat it.

also: fffffffffffuuck. I was test attaching the visor with some tape, and managed to get a finger print in the paint job. So I figured, "No problem, I'll just sand that out and spray it again."

Now I've got black specks in the paint job, runs everywhere, and it's just gone completely downhill.

I'm gonna leave it for a couple days, then sand it back down to the primer layer, and start again. :(

Glad I could help. Since I'm not doing any cons for a year or so I have to live vicariously through you guys and research is fun. :)

That sucks about your paint job. :(

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
The one real problem is sanding the centers of the "ears". I can't get anything in there to sand it effectively. :( maybe a little wire brush or something on my dremel might do it. Or I could just fill them in.. I doubt anyone would really notice.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

LeviathanGunship posted:

I have a question about visor tinting (which maybe relevant to you guys doing the awesome Daft Punk costumes). I'm currently working on a Protomen costume but unfortunately the helmet I bought does not have have a decently tinted visor, so I'm lookiing for low-cost ways of tinting my clear visor. The two best options I've seen so far are tinting it with RIT dye (which seems too light for me) or going with a spray tint like Night-Shades. Has anybody tried these methods before and if so how effective were they?

For a really cheap option you can go to just about any auto-supply store and buy a roll of stick-on window tint. It'll work alright, provided that your surface only curves one way, and is cheap as hell. But if you get the darker stuff you won't be able to see poo poo at night.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

McKilligan posted:

For a really cheap option you can go to just about any auto-supply store and buy a roll of stick-on window tint. It'll work alright, provided that your surface only curves one way, and is cheap as hell. But if you get the darker stuff you won't be able to see poo poo at night.

I've see that option as well, but given that I'm painting over part of it I want as little layers a possible on the visor itself. I think I'm going to try the dying option and see how that plays out. Thanks again for the advice!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
After attempt #5 of the Guy Manuel visor at 1am, I'm saying gently caress it - building a vacuum forming table this morning, hopefully will have something useable by this afternoon. Also on my list: installing electronics, dremeling some decorative stuff, and dying both visors. Deadline: 6pm. Oh man.

TwystNeko posted:

managed to get a finger print in the paint job. So I figured, "No problem, I'll just sand that out and spray it again."

This was me all yesterday as well :(

LeviathanGunship posted:

I've see that option as well, but given that I'm painting over part of it I want as little layers a possible on the visor itself. I think I'm going to try the dying option and see how that plays out. Thanks again for the advice!

Here's the best thread I've seen about dying visors - he has pictures/times/temperatures as well: http://www.therpf.com/f9/daft-punk-interstella-helmet-wip-97512/index3.html

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 29, 2013

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

PezMaster posted:

After attempt #5 of the Guy Manuel visor at 1am, I'm saying gently caress it - building a vacuum forming table this morning, hopefully will have something useable by this afternoon. Also on my list: installing electronics, dremeling some decorative stuff, and dying both visors. Deadline: 6pm. Oh man.

Yikes good luck getting it done. Can't wait to see the finished project!

With June ending I am now starting to worry that I will not be able to get everything wrapped up in time by end of August. I need to hurry and get this helmet done (AND GLOVES EEK) and off to the chromer's so that I can move my focus to the suit.

Progress last night/few days:

Ripped apart the subvisor and painted the back of the LEDs black, then pained the fronts of the LEDS with Krylon Clearcoat matte finish that I had sprayed into a cup to get the liquid paint part for.

Got that all reassembled and with only minor breakage of LED solders.

Also got the ears ready for the circuit boards to come in from http://oshpark.com. I was super worried about the ears because I didnt have an electric saw so when I split them i had to do it with a hand saw which caused it to be really uneven and bad. luckily I was able to fix it all with the magic of enough bondo!

And then I did more electronics work with my buddy to get the following:

duros fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 30, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Holy LEDs, Batman!! Those are im-loving-pressive.

No pictures right now but Marine blanks are looking loving SMOOTH. I'm feeling pretty great about our progress this weekend so far, we'll probably be done with the base Bondo/sanding by the end of tomorrow night so we can start detailing/scribing lines over the 4th. :woop:

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
daaaaamn, that's impressive.

So I stripped down my helmet, giving it some nice new scratches in the meantime. Nothing major that a bit of bondo won't fix (and a layer of self-levelling primer!).

I've also found someone to modify the jacket, and found similar perforated fabric locally. Bad thing: it's $50/m. :cry: Maybe I can find the "right" stuff at a boat place.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So I've had an idea for a costume rolling around in my head for a really long time - only recently actually got off my rear end and started to do something about making it, partially inspired by this thread. A few years ago I, too, made a daft punk helmet, (but nothing even a tenth as poo poo-hot as yours Duros, hot drat) with all of the sanding, bondoing, resanding, etc that went along with it. Good times, but it sparked a different idea.

I've always dug the idea of robots, but this time I wanted to make something of my own design. I've taken alot of inspiration from other stuff, of course, but I didn't copy anything in particular. I wanted to make a Cyborg suit similar to the new Raiden design, or Adam Jensen. I don't have the time or resources to make a full-body suit, so I'm just going for the Head/neck, and Arms, I figure that way I can wear fairly normal clothes to go along with it.

I'd start by making basic design templated with some spare Bristol board I had lying around, and from there I worked with EVA foam. There's alot of trial and error, as one does not really behave like the other. Foam tends to warp and form more organic curves, as opposed to the straight lines that the BB has.

This is where I'm currently at - Both sides of the head are identical, but I haven't quite figure out the best way to make a catch for it. Velcro is a little bit too bulky and gives the headpiece a weird profile, so I think I'm going to have to make a few cuts and use Elastic fabric to hold it all together. I haven't begun work on the neck yet - I'm still trying to find something like a light, breathable balaclava or something similar first to work on top of.

The first design for the arms was scrapped - I really liked the shapes that I formed - I tried to mimic the arm's musculature with the design, but with a more bio-mechanical feel, but in the end the design proved a little too complex for me to make using the tools that I had.

I changed it for a simpler design which I'm much happier with. I kept the musculature theme, but it's a little harder to notice. The only thing left to make is the elbows, but otherwise the basic forms for the arms are almost totally done. I figure that I can emphasize the muscle-designs when it comes to the painting phase.

The forarms have a bit of a weird texture, but that's from the technique I'm using - I'm going to be giving these a coating of Polyurethane plastic in the end. In order for the resin to properly adhere to the eva foam, it needs a layer of wood glue, otherwise bubbles will form and it won't result in a smooth coat. I'll be using this process for all the pieces eventually.

Still a long way to go, I still have: Elbows, Neck, Gloves, (this will be the hardest), not to mention the resin and painting. I also figure that if I finish all of this, I'll make a full visor as well, but that's well off in the future. Baby steps!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 1, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
/\/\ Can't wait to see what you build. Creating something like that from scratch is a really interesting process.

Guy-Manuel didn't make it out of the house last night. Couldn't find the right thickness of clear plastic to vacuum form, so the visor was a complete wash. I wore my husband's Thomas out to the bar (it looked silly big on me, but goddamn was it ever awesome) and we threw together a 20 minute Iron Man reactor for him to wear (now I want to build an epoxy/acrylic one). Great reactions for the helmet, and the highlight was going on the stage to rock out to "Get Lucky" with the crowd.

Now that I'm not on a deadline, I'm going to demolish Thomas - sand and repaint to get rid of all the scratches I endured at the club. The paint was still tacky for longer than I thought it would be, so it had fingerprints galore by the end of it. I'll take out the visor - the dye job wasn't quite dark enough for my liking. The electronics were great, but I need to put in some way to defuse the LEDs a bit. Also, now I can get working with the full red array as well.

Still got to find the right plastic for Guy-Manuel's visor (online suggestions anyone?), and the electronics, which would great for a simple club night, can be much better.

All and all a great learning experience, but I'm glad I have some serious breathing room now to really get everything right.

Edit: a lovely picture:

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 30, 2013

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

PezMaster posted:

Now that I'm not on a deadline, I'm going to demolish Thomas - sand and repaint to get rid of all the scratches I endured at the club. The paint was still tacky for longer than I thought it would be, so it had fingerprints galore by the end of it. I'll take out the visor - the dye job wasn't quite dark enough for my liking. The electronics were great, but I need to put in some way to defuse the LEDs a bit. Also, now I can get working with the full red array as well.

Still got to find the right plastic for Guy-Manuel's visor (online suggestions anyone?), and the electronics, which would great for a simple club night, can be much better.

Good Job Pez!

To defuse the leds go buy http://www.krylon.com/products/matte-finish/ and spray a bunch into a cup from up close so that you get the liquid paint part. Then you can just paint that onto the LEDs and it frosts and defuses them quite well.

For the Guy Manuel helmet, I would suggest you find a place that sells clear sheets of "2mm Pet-G" plastic. Make sure you get a sheet big enough to cover everything with the vacuum forming :)

Also GOD drat McKilligan, I love everything that you do!

Sunday Funday Edit:

Bought a jacket for 50 dollars at H&M so I can bling it out.

Did a test fit of all the stuff I was working on to make sure it is gonna work. I am waiting for the fabbed boards to come in and then I can begin to assemble the ears etc.

And then I kinda put it on my head (it is really big and roomy in there.

I still need to clean up that drat lip around the visor (it has been my personal hell :( Then I am just waiting for the corner and ear boards to get in so that I can begin final test assembly before sending it off to chrome. Tonight I am going to try and tint the visor and then get it bent to the correct shape (thank god I cut out 4 visors).

Update 2:

Made brackets out of hard foam for mounting the internal visor inside the helmet. Off to gently caress up my visors, I mean tint them!

duros fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 1, 2013

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've been catching up with this thread over the last few days, and holy gently caress, you guys are awesome. I'm not one for cosplay, but I do love me some Halloween. Making an awesome costume and scaring the poo poo out of people never fails to deliver a smile straight to my face.

Last year, I was inspired by this video, to make something I had never tried before. Sadly, I only had 1 month, and roughly $75 to use on this(the guys in that video had a lot longer, and spent a few hundred dollars on theirs). The end result was really lack-luster, in my eyes.

This year, I aim to change that. I've spent the last few months researching parts and things that I'm going to change and upgrade about the costume. The result should be completely different than last year. First, I'm going to swap out the wooden rear stilts for digitgrade stilts. Not only will this will give a more alien looking back leg, it'll allow me to stand up, should rough terrain or stairs make 4 legged walking difficult.

The downside to digitigrade stilts is that adding the ability to stand brings in two other problems. The first is what to do with the front leg stilts. After spending a long time weighing the pros and cons of all the options, I decided that having the front stilts retract out of the way when I stand would be the best solution, as it will allow me to use my hands while standing. Of course, I can't have my dinky human hands showing when I stand up. This means I have to swap in some larger hands. I figured that the most interesting way to incorporate them into the costume would be to essentially turn the retracting part of the stilts into the monster's pinky fingers. So, make a fist, stick your pinky finger out, that's how the front arms would look when walking on all 4s. Stand up, close pinky finger, open the other fingers and thumb, that's what it looks like standing. I've got the design in my head, and I need to draw it out and start figuring out how parts will come together. The biggest problem is going to be making a latch that can be triggered by my pinky finger, which will let the monsters pinky finger swing between being extended outward and retracted back.

The next problem is going to be the mask. As you can see from the video, it sits on top of the wearers head, while they look down as they walk. If I stand up, the mask will point straight upward, which won't work. I plan to make a helmet of sorts that will have the mask attached to some stiff wire, posts, and counterweights. The mask will essentially float in front of my head while I'm walking, held level by the counterweights. When I stand up, the mask will pivot on the posts and stay facing level forward. The upside to this is that the mask will be out of the way of my face, so my view will not be obstructed.

Finally, the look of the monster will drastically change. I was really not very happy with the paint job I did. This time around, I plan on redoing the whole thing differently. I'm thinking I'll color the base of it a dark gray, and cover it in tattered and frayed strips of cloth that'll be died a lighter gray with a bare hint of brown. The whole thing will be designed to make the mask pop out and be the focus of the costume, while the body shape blends together at a distance to make the monster a bit more confusing to see.

Right off the bat, I do have a couple questions. I need a light, yet strong material to make the pinky finger of the monster out of. It needs to be light to make it easy to carry around, yet strong enough to take the weight of a person and not bend, buckle, or snap. Also, I do plan on having sounds to go with this, but I need some advice on speaker systems. I need something that's portable and battery operated, but that can be loud enough to be heard a good distance away outdoors. Does anyone have any suggestions on that front?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

PezMaster posted:

Edit: a lovely picture:

I am so unbelievably jealous of these amazing Daft Punk helmets people are making. I love the daft guys and you are doing great work.

Might as well add some content:

Here is my progress so far with Gordon Freeman, 3 weeks until I need to be wearing this sucker so it's all go at my house at the moment.

The arms are thick yoga mat (cheaper than buying similar foam sheets, bargain!), cut and scored to get curved into the right shape. I basically set up one arm, then reversed the template to make the other arm. The material has a bit of elasticity in it, so it friction fits on my arm to save me needing to velcro it.

The legs are being made out of another yoga mat, a thinner one that will give me plenty of movement (don't want my thighs rubbing together).

The chest is obviously pepakura, I am currently cleaning up some funny edges before I start paper mache'ing it (I hope to rebuild the chest out of foam in future as I refine the suit)

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 2, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
:gonk: Long rear end weekend, tons of awesome work done!

Here's my buddy forums lurker maeloke with the torso/shoulderpad for SC2 marines as we have them! We are going to be GI-loving-GANTIC. Shoulderpad is pretty close to done, thus the primer to help find any rough spots. Torso is going to take some more time, it's so much more complicated that it requires a lot more passes of filling and sanding but we are making excellent progress.

Not a super close up but here's me working on filling in gaps on the backplate with bonus Mr. McPantserton sanding in the background.

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

LeviathanGunship posted:

If you didn't invest much in the helmet you already have, I'd suggest looking around for a tinted one. It shouldn't be hard to find an old used one for dirt cheap or nothing. Try craigslist or ask around motorcycle shops. Or if you want total accuracy, spray paint the visor black on the inside so it's impossible to see out of, like the band did.

Here's one I did a few years back.

I've done some Fallout costumes in the past, but have since gotten into making original gear inspired by that series, Mad Max, and such. Here are some recent photos.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
At what point is a cosplay too easy and people aren't really able to tell that your cosplaying? My girlfriend admittedly looks pretty young for her age (she's only 21 and my father always teases me about dating a teenager), so I think we could pull off Ellie and Joel from The Last of Us:

With a backpack, fake guns, metal pipe, etc., would it be obvious what we are?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Red Robin Hood posted:

With a backpack, fake guns, metal pipe, etc., would it be obvious what we are?

'Regular' characters are difficult enough to recognize, so I dunno, I think the only way people would recognize it is if you guys were dead ringers. But, if you nail the details you could get pretty close. Getting just the right shirt (and stains), beard, haircut, and I think you could sell it pretty well.

Beyond that it's just who you wear it around. People at a con would probably get it, a Halloween party, not so much.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Right, started to paper mache my Pepakura, and suddenly it was like I opened my eyes and saw the Matrix. I could suddenly see exactly how I could make it out of foam, and save myself hours of paper mache'ing. So 20 minutes later I returned from the 24 hour store with yoga mats and a roll of duct tape, and a few hours later:

It's an ugly thing, (duct tape and foam) but it works!

(bonus cat not included)

Now to agonize over filling the back part of it.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
I got shades on this bitch:

Very minor warping due to my itchy stove knob hand trying to balance getting enough heat but not TOO much heat.

Used 6 packs of RIT Black dye and did five 10ish minute baths followed by a cold water wash.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

duros posted:

Used 6 packs of RIT Black dye and did five 10ish minute baths followed by a cold water wash.

Glad to see that it is possible to get your visor that dark with RIT. I only had four packs and did five 5min baths (plus cold water washes). My visor got all soft on me as well because I cranked up the heat after bath two. Looks like I'm going with more RIT after I take the visor apart. You're happy with your results?

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

PezMaster posted:

Glad to see that it is possible to get your visor that dark with RIT. I only had four packs and did five 5min baths (plus cold water washes). My visor got all soft on me as well because I cranked up the heat after bath two. Looks like I'm going with more RIT after I take the visor apart. You're happy with your results?

Yeah I am happy with how it turned out. Also I highly suggest you pop it into your helmet because it looks more like a smokey red color when held up to the light and I thought it was ridiculously light until I actually popped it into the helmet and noticed that with no light shining through the back it became super dark.

Also for reference I used .06" PETG (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00B2ARG68/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all) at ~140-145 degree water.

duros fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 3, 2013

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

a cock shaped fruit posted:

So 20 minutes later I returned from the 24 hour store with yoga mats and a roll of duct tape...

I wonder what percentage of yoga mats are being purchased for non yoga activities. My brother bought a yoga mat from wal mart at some strange hour for his Avengers Cap costume.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
It looks pretty lovely from <10 feet away, but I ghetto'd together a beam katana from scratch for ~$15 (that star wars fx light saber linked before would have been great, but was more expensive than my budget for the whole costume).

Featuring bonus cat blur.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
My girlfriend has decided that this year we have to go to Austin Comic con as the Fourth doctor and the Tardis. But all steampunked out. She insists. Now on her end she has no trouble making a Tardis Umbrella and such that I think looks pretty wicked.

For me I have the scarf down she is knitting it for me but after that I am lost. Does anyone have any ideas I can steal for a brassy sonic screw driver and any other way I can steampunk the doctor? I am not great with arts and crafts.

Also is there any way I can "age" the scarf a bit. Its brand new wool and it looks great but not like worn and used. Might be a stupid question.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Throb Robinson posted:

Also is there any way I can "age" the scarf a bit. Its brand new wool and it looks great but not like worn and used. Might be a stupid question.

Washing it a few times should soften it up and "age" it a bit. You could also put a few "runs" in it with a drop stitch knit.

http://newstitchaday.com/drop-stitch/

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
run gobs_program.exe:

coded up some hearts:

and an EKG:

Also got bluetooth working over laptop. Here is a video of it working. Next will be an iOS app that has speed control and text entry as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zA-PBkdFQc

Finally got a layer of nice primer on the thing. There are still a few dings/dents I need to clean up and smooth out but it is getting close. I also realized that I made the lip just a smidgen too big :( so i am gonna thin that out today.

Its getting close i wanna wrap this and get it to the chromer.

I also bought some 100 yards of strung black square sequin and the lady at the fabric store thought I was crazy.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

duros posted:

I also bought some 100 yards of strung black square sequin and the lady at the fabric store thought I was crazy.

Did you say "NO MA'AM, I'M JUST FABULOUS."

That is looking amazing, If I was an eccentric millionaire I would be throwing money at you to make one for me.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Holy poo poo, that's amazing. Do you plan on sharing a full build log at some point, mainly for the electronics? I'm kind of handy with LEDs/PIC controllers, but that's a whole new level for me. Also, what's the visibility like?

On my end, I've re-done the helmet, but I am incredibly sad, as it's nowhere near as nice as the first time. It's not BAD, but it's got a few noticable dings on it that I just could not fix. It doesn't help that the cast I got is a bit warped.

If I ever start over again, I'll do the pepakura -> resin/fiberglass route. I tried that before, and it worked really well - I just got hung up on the visor. I'm really inspired by your helmet to do a Thomas one next - I wasn't too thrilled with it before, but seeing what you've been doing is just awesome.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
I dunno I could do a more in depth breakout once things are finished if people would think it would be neat/interesting.

I am also debating putting together some LED kits and selling them after all this for people who want to just have everything they need and just solder some LEDs into 8x8 matrixes (also possibly completed helmets if people want to give me a bag of money :)).

Next I plan on doing the Guy Helmet (RAM version) with a full 16x32 RGB matrix plus all the side stuff from his human after all so I can do things like this:
I have some early ideas and we are starting to investigate how to fab a board to handle all that nonsense.

Anyways!

I did this last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw_wrvWsY34

The visibility is anywhere from bad (dark area with a lot of LEDs on) to ok (light area with some LEDs) to good (Light area with little/no LEDs on).

Removed about a 4th of the total visor "lip" after careful study of many misleading pictures of Thomas from RAM. Not its the width I want so I just have to smooth off and make the visor fit nice and snug (I will cry once the visor area is done it has been my nightmare).

Started work on the fingers, got them cut out and labeled and ready for sanding to their final shape. Then touch up a few nicks, prime, and sand it to be ready.

Also got this in the mail:

Also no pictures but worked with my friend who knows how to tailor and we painstakingly recreated details for the RAM suit from a number of images so she took my jacket and ran off to start working on it. Hopefully I will have images to show soon of the progress on that end.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

McKilligan posted:

'Regular' characters are difficult enough to recognize, so I dunno, I think the only way people would recognize it is if you guys were dead ringers. But, if you nail the details you could get pretty close. Getting just the right shirt (and stains), beard, haircut, and I think you could sell it pretty well.

Beyond that it's just who you wear it around. People at a con would probably get it, a Halloween party, not so much.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of costumes of the new Lara Croft who is wearing really normal clothes, but with the very heavy weathering they have in the game it's pretty obvious who the person is cosplaying. I think at a con, with the pair of them and with sufficiently grungy weathering, it'd be something most onlookers would at least realise was a costume, and plenty would get the reference since the marketing for that game has been everywhere.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So I've made a little less progress this weekend than I was hoping, but I've almost finished the base shape of the left glove, and I'm pretty drat pleased with how it's turned out - I'm still just using EVA foam and a heat gun - I get the basic shapes I need, and with a little heat application the pieces start to curl on themselves, which is how I got the nicer rounded shapes on all the hand parts. I'm working off of a very basic pair of hiking gloves I picked up for about $7, so they're not too heavy / hot, though when my arms are in the full getup there's pretty much no avoiding that.

There's a bit of hotglue peeking out of the cracks, but once I've applied the wood glue / polyurethane coating that won't be visible. However, getting the resin on all of these small components is going to be a bitch and a half to do without making a mess of the whole thing. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'm really pleased with the result - The foam / hotglue solution might be amateur as all hell, but it's retains pretty good flexibility and looks pretty good both normally and as a fist, I don't lose much dexterity.

Please ignore the disgusting-rear end mirror, I am a slob. It turns out it's kind difficult to take a picture of your own arm. I plan to add a bit more over the strap of the glove so that the entire Forearm / Hand looks cohesive, just haven't got that far yet.

These are the elbow bits, and what I used for my first test run of the resin process. It didn't try completely smooth, but a little sanding ought to get it to where I want it. On the plus side, two coats of the Polyurethane resin makes the pieces tough as all hell - they were already pretty resilient as foam, but now these can take a fair bit of punishment.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
I feel like the scrubbiest of scrublords following up those incredible Daft Punk helmets. Here's a quick WIP identity disc from the Tron suits:

I still need to even out the last loop on the interior so it'll throw even light. A few more hours of wiring and fabric work and my girlfriend's costume should be complete. Then I get to start butchering my $75 K&G special business suit for mine.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

McKilligan posted:

Awesomeness

McKilligan, are you just kinda free-wheeling all these ideas or have you drawn something out? Either way it is awesome but if you have concept sketches I wanna see them!

That disc is looking awesome keep it up!

duros fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

duros posted:

McKilligan, are you just kinda free-wheeling all these ideas or have you drawn something out? Either way it is awesome but if you have concept sketches I wanna see them!

I had some basic sketches and ideas, but they wound up being worlds away from what I ended up with. This is the first time I've really worked with EVA foam, so when I was brainstorming designs I couldn't really predict how the material would react. Once I started and realized that some of the shapes and designs I wanted weren't really going to happen, I just kinda free-wheeled it and worked on each design piece by piece, shaping and adding to it as I went.
Same thing with the hands - I had a rough idea of what I wanted them to look like, but the foam itself kinda dictated the design. I would just find the shape that I wanted, in this case, rough hand and knuckle musculature, and figure it out as I went on a piece by piece basis.