Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Westminster System posted:

I'm using that, its great for editing the save in the sense of adjusting cores, ownership etc which I already understand and it also helps in the sense of sorting out noculture pops, finding out province ID's etc. It really is an awesome tool.

Here is where we run into problems - obviously as a converted save, its not a scenario and the vanilla files obviously have no bearing. This is obviously going to be one of the most stupid questions you're going to get from me: but whats the starting base point of converting a save to a scenario and all that entails - so I can use this tool - is it really the reality of creating a mod from scratch in order to make use of this?

I can muddle through, but obviously homogenized pops and what have you can antagonize some people. If it comes down to making a mod, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Aye, I'm using that - its great. I believe my issues with it stem from my own foolishness and probably because I'm working with AHD at the moment (the converter wouldn't play nice with HoD). The only thing you end up having to manually do is the flags - as obviously you have to find your own. The other small issue I have is countries I create civilized turn primitive, but again, I think thats more to do with my hack job of things than the tool's problem.

Its going alot better than I thought it would be, though in some cases its quite frustrating. I feel I may clutter up the thread with ridiculous questions about it for yours and other's pleasure, so thanks for the offer. Tis a shame I don't have PM capability.

You can drop questions to zearothk@trioptimum.com, or on #paradox within SynIRC. There usually is at least someone who knows their modding in the channel.

You're using Sid Meier's converter, right? drat, it's gone quite a few ways since, quite amazing actually, but you will be very limited in what you can do without creating a mod rather than a hacked save.

Unfortunately, converting saves into History files has been one of those elusive Holy Grails since the first version of EU3. The upside is that once you're familiar with the scenario editor you can do it really quickly, though it'd still take you a few hours to do all of it.

If you want to go that route, I'd recommend building your mod on top of New Nations Mod, which should have several of the nations you may add, and others that may be repurposed for whatever you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Westminster System posted:

Its going alot better than I thought it would be, though in some cases its quite frustrating. I feel I may clutter up the thread with ridiculous questions about it for yours and other's pleasure, so thanks for the offer. Tis a shame I don't have PM capability.

While my opinion as a bystander might not actually count for much, I don't mind modchat and the questions that people have about it. It's fascinating, and another althistory scenario is always good.

Speaking of althistory, is there a way to put multiple althistory scenarios in the same modpack? Something like miscmods but for Vicky 2? It'd be the only mod I'd ever play!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I'll probably keep a few questions here, don't worry. I'll keep that email handy for sure all the same. Besides, I like posting things like Asian Iceland.

Haha yeah, that converter sure is old, but it works. Im probably going to commit a form of suicide by admitting it, but I wouldn't mind creating a mod. The real problem I have is I wouldn't know where to begin. I have plenty of resources on hand to do it and all the countries I created reside in a little folder, so there's that.

Getting a stable "alpha" would be my main goal - i'd let input and people who know how to work things assist from there on. I havn't written an event for a Clausewitz game in forever.

I might go for it, once I get over my fear of "I don't even know how to structure a mod file, what files do I even need ahhhhh"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Speaking of althistory, is there a way to put multiple althistory scenarios in the same modpack? Something like miscmods but for Vicky 2? It'd be the only mod I'd ever play!

It is possible, though it'd require a fair ammount of work, as you would have to edit every history file to account for the new bookmarks, generate new subfolders for the POPs/OOBs of each scenario and then filter every event/decision/asset based on the scenario.

quote:

I might go for it, once I get over my fear of "I don't even know how to structure a mod file, what files do I even need ahhhhh"

My suggestion is getting New Nations Mod as a base/structure, renaming it to your scenario, deleting every historical event/decision/CB from it (except for the ones you find appropriate to your setting, I guess?), adding your new nations to the country files and starting from there.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm playing EU3 with Miscmods as Byzantium. I took over Bursa as the glorious Byzantine Empire and now I'm getting a Black Sea Trade event over and over that has no effects. What is supposed to be happening here?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm playing EU3 with Miscmods as Byzantium. I took over Bursa as the glorious Byzantine Empire and now I'm getting a Black Sea Trade event over and over that has no effects. What is supposed to be happening here?

Miscmods isn't compatible with 5.2. You need the compatibility patch from here.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Nightblade posted:

Miscmods isn't compatible with 5.2. You need the compatibility patch from here.

Thanks.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I'm trying to stabilize my population as Greece. I have ~2.8m and 44.2% Greek & 45.6% Turkish. How can I decrease the Turkish population?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm trying to stabilize my population as Greece. I have ~2.8m and 44.2% Greek & 45.6% Turkish. How can I decrease the Turkish population?

Full citizenship boosts assimilation, on the other hand, being a reactionary shithole with high unemployment boosts emigration. Turkish pops living in places with Ottoman cores will never assimilate, so the full citizenship path requires your Turks to move to Athens for work and being zapped into Greeks once there. Unless business at home is booming, the "Reactionary shithole with high unemployment" path's your best bet as your Turks will all peace out to New York and your demographics will rapidly improve.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Has anyone had issues with specific DLC causing crashes in CK2? The Norse Portrait pack is crashing my game consistently, I only figured it out after testing each DLC one by one. Clean installs of the game and then a clean install of the DLC both failed to fix it. I can play my save without it, so worst-case scenario I just leave it disabled.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Full citizenship boosts assimilation, on the other hand, being a reactionary shithole with high unemployment boosts emigration. Turkish pops living in places with Ottoman cores will never assimilate, so the full citizenship path requires your Turks to move to Athens for work and being zapped into Greeks once there. Unless business at home is booming, the "Reactionary shithole with high unemployment" path's your best bet as your Turks will all peace out to New York and your demographics will rapidly improve.

Sorry! I reformed the Byzantine Empire, so my capital is Constantinople (And not Istanbul! :black101:). Capital is 52% Turkish or so. I've dropped over 2% greek in the past few years and the Turks are slowly approaching 50% of my pop.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Sorry! I reformed the Byzantine Empire, so my capital is Constantinople (And not Istanbul! :black101:). Capital is 52% Turkish or so. I've dropped over 2% greek in the past few years and the Turks are slowly approaching 50% of my pop.

You picked up Turkish as an accepted culture when you did that, your Turks will never ever assimilate.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Patter Song posted:

You picked up Turkish as an accepted culture when you did that, your Turks will never ever assimilate.

You sure about the accepted culture? It says I have around 1.4m accepted.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

You sure about the accepted culture? It says I have around 1.4m accepted.

I...think so? You can check your accepted cultures by looking at your country in the diplomacy tab.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Boy, EU3 sure likes to throw curveballs at you. My Byzantium game, I'm doing a pretty standard start, very aggressive, trying to get all the old cores and missions done ASAP before the West pulls away from my backwards rear end. I end up getting screwed in two wars by the Golden Horde so I buddy up to Poland and Muscovy and we lay the smackdown on the boys in gold. Then Poland and I end up putting the squeeze on Hungary then double teaming Bohemia after that. And doing all of this I am going through the regular hallmarks of a Byzantium game like doing the missions to get Southern Italy and Venice. Then they inherit Lithuania. Then I inherit them.

It's 1490. I think I'm a shoo in for 'Most Improved - 15th Century'.

Now comes fifty years of overextension but since my forcelimit jumped to 170 from 75, I think I will be fine. I've just never had a game jump me into mega empire mode this early.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

Also I don't know if this has been revealed before but it looks like you can choose from a list of missions which you'd like to pursue, which will hopefully alleviate the late-game problem of being bombarded by missions to build a manufactory in the middle of nowhere.

A couple pages back, but yeah, this was confirmed in one of the Three Moves Ahead podcasts about EU4: The player will always be able to choose between a Military, Admin and Trade/Economy/Colonial(?) mission, so the player can control where he wants to take his country or so he can pick missions that would be suited to his current situation, such as a great Admin ruler who sucks at leading troops.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

While my opinion as a bystander might not actually count for much, I don't mind modchat and the questions that people have about it. It's fascinating, and another althistory scenario is always good.
Yeah, I don't mind either. Obviously you shouldn't be responsible for half the posts in a thread for several pages or something like that, but I see no problem with people talking about creating mods here. Could be it inspires someone to make mods themselves, and widening the modder base on SA can only be a good thing.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

A couple pages back, but yeah, this was confirmed in one of the Three Moves Ahead podcasts about EU4: The player will always be able to choose between a Military, Admin and Trade/Economy/Colonial(?) mission, so the player can control where he wants to take his country or so he can pick missions that would be suited to his current situation, such as a great Admin ruler who sucks at leading troops.

Argh, why can't this be out already :negative:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really hope the military missions have more variety than those in EU3. It feels like half the missions you get in that game are "Protect against [huge country you have no hope of matching forces with]" or "Naval Race vs [country with hundreds of ships]."

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Have you tried killing your Muslim population?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

I really hope the military missions have more variety than those in EU3. It feels like half the missions you get in that game are "Protect against [huge country you have no hope of matching forces with]" or "Naval Race vs [country with hundreds of ships]."
Yeah, I really hope they're more context sensitive in EU4. If I have no naval ideas at all, I don't want to see any naval missions, it just doesn't make any sense. Likewise, not every country should be trying to challenge the top dogs on the continent. If I was making the system, the missions would be selected based on your chosen ideas, your current military, and the overall size of your country. Naval Race would only trigger if you had a lot of naval ideas, and it would start with beating the top dog within your weight class, not just going straight to beating Great Britain or Spain. If you are the top dog within your weight class, the Naval Race mission could be to build your navy to 25/50/75% of the next tier top dog's, not to just outright beat them. ("Weight class" being a measure of the potential of the country.)

Something similar could be done for armies, though in that case you wouldn't be able to avoid them by having no military ideas at all. Oh yeah, it should also be about overall military strength, not just numbers. Discipline and generals should definitely act like multipliers to the raw number of regiments, same for admirals on the naval side. (Such a number even exist within the game, doesn't it? Given the scoring system we've heard a bit about?)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man, my brain keeps trying to parse the grey as the water, and the purple and white as land. I thought you had a random map generator going at first.

Though admittedly, the tiny islands didn't make a lot of sense that way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Same thing happened to me, it was really weird. Turns out it's just boring old Europe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

As Patter Song said, Turkish POPs are an accepted culture under the reformed Byzantine Empire, so you can't "get rid" of them.

For future reference, you can sort of do this to non-accepted cultures by increasing literacy and promoting craftsmen in the states whose cultures you want to mess with, but then build no factories in those states. The Craftsmen will pack up and move to other states, where they will be assimilated. You can also kill off POPs via taking the appropriate decisions in the disease/plague/famine events.

Again, though, not going to work for cultures that are already accepted, since they won't assimilate.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So here's how my farewell game of EUIII went:

1. Loaded up as Persia in the War of the League of Cambrai start.
2. Spent five years poking around my provinces, seeing what culture and religion my provinces are, which neighbors I have cores on, etc., and saving up money for my mission to build a manufactory in Herat.
3. Out of nowhere, completely unprovoked, three separate wars are declared on me by England, Scotland, Portugal, Poland, Castille, Aragon, Lithuania, France, Bohemia, Austria, Savoy, Georgia, and Russia within two minutes of each other.
4. I turn the game off and play CK2 instead.

Maybe I'll try again with France or some poo poo.

edit: My good buddy Delhi stood with me against all of them :unsmith:

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 1, 2013

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So here's how my farewell game of EUIII went:

1. Loaded up as Persia in the War of the League of Cambrai start.
2. Spent five years poking around my provinces, seeing what culture and religion my provinces are, which neighbors I have cores on, etc., and saving up money for my mission to build a manufactory in Herat.
3. Out of nowhere, completely unprovoked, three separate wars are declared on me by England, Scotland, Portugal, Poland, Castille, Aragon, Lithuania, France, Bohemia, Austria, Savoy, Georgia, and Russia within two minutes of each other.
4. I turn the game off and play CK2 instead.

Maybe I'll try again with France or some poo poo.

edit: My good buddy Delhi stood with me against all of them :unsmith:

No, leave it at that. The perfect sendoff for EUIII.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Try again with EU3+.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So the new preorder DLC for EUIV is a pack of Byzantine events and graphical fluff.

I'm sort of curious what the Paradox philosophy behind event pack DLCs is going to be. I understand they can't unlock factions like CKII, but event packs seem rife for difficulty. It seems like a fine line to walk between 'pay for awesome events where the Byzantines get mega bonuses' and more 'fair' events. I mean, nobody wants to pay for Comet Sighted!, but selling packs of good events for Nation X seems kinda iffy too.

EDIT: Just watched the religion video they posted. Little grumpy that the Mesomamericans are just... :effort: 'Animist', like Australian natives etc. I suppose there will be a Mesoamerican enhancement DLC that adds a unique religion.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 1, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ArchRanger posted:

Has anyone had issues with specific DLC causing crashes in CK2? The Norse Portrait pack is crashing my game consistently, I only figured it out after testing each DLC one by one. Clean installs of the game and then a clean install of the DLC both failed to fix it. I can play my save without it, so worst-case scenario I just leave it disabled.

Ask in the CK2 thread, you might find an answer there.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

So the new preorder DLC for EUIV is a pack of Byzantine events and graphical fluff.

I'm sort of curious what the Paradox philosophy behind event pack DLCs is going to be. I understand they can't unlock factions like CKII, but event packs seem rife for difficulty. It seems like a fine line to walk between 'pay for awesome events where the Byzantines get mega bonuses' and more 'fair' events. I mean, nobody wants to pay for Comet Sighted!, but selling packs of good events for Nation X seems kinda iffy too.

EDIT: Just watched the religion video they posted. Little grumpy that the Mesomamericans are just... :effort: 'Animist', like Australian natives etc. I suppose there will be a Mesoamerican enhancement DLC that adds a unique religion.

Oman is Shi'ite, Ethiopia is Orthodox, and Persia is a Shi'ite "Theocracy".

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Comet Sighted!

x I'm regretting paying for this DLC

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Fintilgin posted:

The entire handling of the Americas is pretty poo poo and lazy from all I've seen. They have no trade, even though North America alone had huge and complex trade routes for much of its history; there are hardly any civilizations on the map, with lots of empty space; and now it turns out the Inca and Malians essentially have the same religion.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Gorgo Primus posted:

The entire handling of the Americas is pretty poo poo and lazy from all I've seen. They have no trade, even though North America alone had huge and complex trade routes for much of its history; there are hardly any civilizations on the map, with lots of empty space; and now it turns out the Inca and Malians essentially have the same religion.

I wasn't actually expecting any improvements from EU3, but it's still a bit disappointing. Thanks to the new DLC system, though, we'll hopefully get some DLC that flesh out the non-European parts of the world.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gorgo Primus posted:

Well, you have to balance that with the fact that the Reformed religion has a prettier color on the map. Can't have everything.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Like, I don't even want or need special mechanics for them or anything, but it's really funny that Crusader Kings II, a game about medieval Europe, has a better representation of Mesoamerican religion than EUIV, where they're actually on the map. :stare:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

SeaTard posted:

Ask in the CK2 thread, you might find an answer there.

I did not realize it was still around! Thank you, I will.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Like, I don't even want or need special mechanics for them or anything, but it's really funny that Crusader Kings II, a game about medieval Europe, has a better representation of Mesoamerican religion than EUIV, where they're actually on the map. :stare:

You can even reform it and start converting all of those heathen Europeans!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can even reform it and start converting all of those heathen Europeans!

I didn't even think of the fact that they'd have holy sites. Where in Europe are the Mesoamerican holy sites? :confused:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ArchRanger posted:

I did not realize it was still around! Thank you, I will.

There was a new one made a couple months back, maybe that's what confused you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I didn't even think of the fact that they'd have holy sites. Where in Europe are the Mesoamerican holy sites? :confused:

Rome, Paris, Cordoba, Marrakesh, and London

• Locked thread