Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For fucks sake folks this is a Recommendation thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I'm getting my friend into anime, she really liked Madoka Magica and Cowboy Bebop. What else should I show her? She likes stuff that "isn't 'fluffy'".

Why would you want to do this to them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
What are some good anime shows that don't conform to the anime "genre"? In other words: no creepy, hypersexualized, weak women (I liked Ergo Proxy for this and disliked the new Battleship Yamato series for the same reason); no inexperienced, idealist youth protagonist who astonishes his elders with cringe-worthy overly-dramatic diatribes (I could not stand Planetes and Attack on Titan because of this, Now and Then was also guilty); no shallow attempts at middle school philosophy (Big O made me cringe); and no wacky teardrops and "wah-wah" noises (that alchemist show).

It sounds like I complain too much and just hate anime, but I love a good, well-wrought animated piece of fiction, and I'm hoping there's something out there for me. I get into "animation" moods quite frequently but haven't found anything I liked since I discovered GITS.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Qwo posted:

What are some good anime shows that don't conform to the anime "genre"? In other words: no creepy, hypersexualized, weak women (I liked Ergo Proxy for this and disliked the new Battleship Yamato series for the same reason); no inexperienced, idealist youth protagonist who astonishes his elders with cringe-worthy overly-dramatic diatribes (I could not stand Planetes and Attack on Titan because of this, Now and Then was also guilty); no shallow attempts at middle school philosophy (Big O made me cringe); and no wacky teardrops and "wah-wah" noises (that alchemist show).

It sounds like I complain too much and just hate anime, but I love a good, well-wrought animated piece of fiction, and I'm hoping there's something out there for me. I get into "animation" moods quite frequently but haven't found anything I liked since I discovered GITS.

Noir and Serial Experiments Lain seem like they could appeal to you.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

DerLeo posted:

Noir and Serial Experiments Lain seem like they could appeal to you.
That latter one looks especially cool, I'll check it out.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Qwo posted:

What are some good anime shows that don't conform to the anime "genre"?

Tiger and Bunny

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chiming in that tex might be good later but the first like ten episodes are some of the most boring Unentertaining things I've ever watched. One of the few anime I just couldn't bring myself to watch more of.

Give it a shot, but gitssac it ain't.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Qwo posted:

You could always watch G Gundam, the greatest anime in the history of mankind.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Qwo posted:

Mushishi.

I'd also say Kino's Journey, but your opinion may vary on whether it contains shallow attempts at middle school philosophy. It's basically Gulliver's Travels, including the requisite not-too-subtle metaphors.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DamnGlitch posted:

Chiming in that tex might be good later but the first like ten episodes are some of the most boring Unentertaining things I've ever watched. One of the few anime I just couldn't bring myself to watch more of.

Give it a shot, but gitssac it ain't.

I actually really like all the episodes of Texhnolyze, but I'm a weirdo when it comes to poo poo like that. It felt almost like an anime version of an experimental late-nineties geocities collaborative video series or something.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Qwo posted:

a good, well-wrought animated piece of fiction

House of Five Leaves

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
After watching Serial Experiments Lain and Texnolyze, I'm wondering if there are any other animes as serious and mature and with the quality of writing and directing of these 2? I plan on checking ABe's other shows, but outside of those are there any other shows that meet that criteria?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ViggyNash posted:

After watching Serial Experiments Lain and Texnolyze, I'm wondering if there are any other animes as serious and mature and with the quality of writing and directing of these 2? I plan on checking ABe's other shows, but outside of those are there any other shows that meet that criteria?

Just watch everything written by Chiaki Konaka at this point really.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

Anything in particular you would recommend above others?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

I've seen neither so I can't speak to their similarity, but you should check out the works of Satoshi Kon and Masaaki Yuasa.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

I feel like a broken record, but Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Also, Kino's Journey and Paranoia Agent.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Even Digimon Tamers. No, seriously.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Even Digimon Tamers. No, seriously.

Wait, there's a legitimately good Digimon show? I might need more convincing on that...

e:

I just looked him up, and apparently there's a show he worked on that's getting released posthumously called Dream Machine? This info's from wikipedia so I don't know how accurate that is.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 30, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"Dream Machine" ever being released or even finished is very iffy, which is a drat shame. There's been next to no information about it for a good two years now, though one of its producers says he hopes to have it finished by 2015.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of Kon; is there any word of a reprint of Paranoia Agent happening? Or will I have to trawl used sellers if I feel the need to own a physical copy for a reasonable price?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I doubt it, I don't think Paranoia Agent was included amongst the titles FUNi got from Geneon in the first place.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Robert Denby posted:

"Dream Machine" ever being released or even finished is very iffy, which is a drat shame. There's been next to no information about it for a good two years now, though one of its producers says he hopes to have it finished by 2015.

It's somehow more likely than Nagano finishing Gothicmade, despite Satoshi Kon being dead. And yeah, I really do recommend checking out things Chiaki Konaka. He's one of the people whose name will attract me to something instantly.

Srice posted:

Gothicmade did finish and was in theaters late last year! It's just something that nobody paid attention to since it was out at around the same time Eva 3.33 was. Whoops!

Though the fact that there's no news about a dvd/blu-ray release worries me. I hope this isn't one of those cases where it takes years for the home video release, if it ever gets released at all.

As for Paranoia Agent, might as well get those used DVDs. There was a blu-ray release in Japan back in 2011 and nobody seemed interested in license rescuing it then, so I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

I'd be slightly embarrassed but I think Nagano should probably be more embarrassed

muike fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 30, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gothicmade did finish and was in theaters late last year! It's just something that nobody paid attention to since it was out at around the same time Eva 3.33 was. Whoops!

Though the fact that there's no news about a dvd/blu-ray release worries me. I hope this isn't one of those cases where it takes years for the home video release, if it ever gets released at all.

As for Paranoia Agent, might as well get those used DVDs. There was a blu-ray release in Japan back in 2011 and nobody seemed interested in license rescuing it then, so I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Someone already recommended Yuasa but to get specific Kemonozume is my personal favorite of his - really strikes the balance well between his playful side and his intelligent storytelling/directing. If you really want to get smacked on the head with IMPORTANT THEMATIC ELEMENTS (tex and lain are kinda guilty of this in my opinion) then be warned that the show's overall message doesn't really "click" until the last few episodes, though personally I thought it was totally worth the buildup.

Mushishi and The Medicine Seller are both must-watches for anyone who appreciates good storytelling enough to enjoy tehxnolyze. The first 10 or so episodes of Gankutsuou are also really well-done; while the rest of the series doesn't botch things completely, it takes a lot of disappointing missteps.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 30, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TheresNoThyme posted:

Mushishi...

The first 10 or so episodes of Gankutsuou are also really well-done; while the rest of the series doesn't botch things completely, it takes a lot of disappointing missteps.

I think I watched 2 episodes of Mushishi and then stopped for whatever reason. I really should finish that.

It's really annoying when a series squander's its potential just because it loses its way or tries something stupid. It feels like that happens a lot in anime.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

It's really annoying when a series squander's its potential just because it loses its way or tries something stupid. It feels like that happens a lot in anime.

Agreed, though I recommend Gankutsuou because it's a special case (for me) where I could finish the series, absolutely hate what they did with X and Y, but still think "drat it was worth it for half of those episodes." It has some really well-done moments. Also, you can pretty safely give it a one episode test since the first episode really plays to the series' strengths.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Anything in particular you would recommend above others?

Devilman Lady doesn't get enough love. Watch that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Have you considered Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Word on the street is that it's pretty good!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have that downloaded, but it's sooooooooo long...

I'll start on that when I have the time for it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

You watch like 4 shows a loving week just do it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Post less, watch more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea, but they're short as hell by comparison and... I'll get around to it.

Thing is, I've been trying to write a story in my spare time because I have a couple of really cool idea for one that I can't get out of my head, so I've been watching different things for bits and pieces of inspiration and to learn a thing or two about what makes a story good. Watching one ridiculously long show wouldn't give me a lot of variety.

That's my reason, believe it or not. Its probably partially rationalization, but it is true that I am trying to write something.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Thing is, I've been trying to write a story in my spare time because I have a couple of really cool idea for one that I can't get out of my head, so I've been watching different things for bits and pieces of inspiration and to learn a thing or two about what makes a story good. Watching one ridiculously long show wouldn't give me a lot of variety.

That's my reason, believe it or not. Its probably partially rationalization, but it is true that I am trying to write something.

Chances are LOGH will give you better inspiration than the rest of the poo poo you're watching because it's writing is so much better than pretty much all of them.

LOGH: it is that good

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If you gave Valvrave 8.5 or whatever in your rating system I think you'll have to adjust your scale if you watch LotGH.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I gave it an 8 because it was entertainingly silly and has some elements that are legitimately decent. Of course there's still a lot wrong with it, but it ended up doing things that it wasn't really trying to and was entertaining because of it.

For me, a 9.5 is something that was not only near perfect in almost every regard but also completely blew me away. Yea, I know my scale is a bit weird for other people, but it makes sense to me. That's something that I would give to the likes of Time of EVE (if the new movie version fills in the holes in the show) or Gurren Lagaan.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Chas McGill posted:

If you gave Valvrave 8.5 or whatever in your rating system I think you'll have to adjust your scale if you watch LotGH.

That's not too surprising in scales based on personal enjoyment, which are quite common yet also the most subjective things ever.

Having said this...I would essentially give Legend of the Galactic Heroes a perfect score both on and off such a scale. It's really that great.

If I had to take any point from that show, it would only be because the first couple of episodes or so aren't too impressive. I suppose someone who isn't really interested in politics or space war/military topics might be turned off the whole thing right then and there, but I got hooked very soon after that and I guess it's entirely possible to just watch the movie(s) in order to get a better portrayal of those early events as well as more context.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a timeless story and, without meaning to sound pretentious as gently caress, a story that would make the likes of War and Peace proud. Despite the Science-Fiction setting, it is -with VERY few exceptions so far- one of the most grounded works of fiction I've watched, and the more you dedicate yourself to watching it, the more it rewards you and the more you appreciate it. It's not trying to tell a new story.

Hell, the quote most associated with the show spells it out for you. But it's a story worthy of (re)visiting. I'm halfway through the show, now. I do hope the good things keep on coming.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
So I just reread a few of my favourite Murakami novels (Wild Sheep Chase, Dance Dance Dance, Kafka on the Shore) and I'm really in the mood for surreal stories set in the real world. I remember I asked this question a couple of years ago when I was getting into anime and I was recommended Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi, Kemonozume etc. Loved all those, so now I'm wondering if anything similar has come out since.

I had hoped that Apollon would have the same vibe, but despite the setting and focus on jazz it wasn't particularly Murakami-like. Still loved it, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I just binged through the first OVA series of Patlabor and loved it. Is the actual TV series any good?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I liked it a lot. It kind of meanders from time to time and is kind of low key, though mostly by design because it is trying to portray the officers' every day life and some days there just ain't no interesting Labor crime going on. There is still an overarching plot (which doesn't get resolved until the second OVA series) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I can't speak for the TV series, but the two movies are a blast, and Amazon has the super-ultra-deluxe limited edition box sets up for cheap right now; like get for $22 what once would've cost you $180 cheap.

• Locked thread