Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rofl

duTrieux. posted:

i send this to people at work whenever somebody suggests using qr codes

the only transformative use of qr codes that i've ever seen ever was in a fireworks store. you could scan codes on the price labels to see a small video of what the fireworks looked like

i've seen a thing like that but you had to use layar but when you pointed at the code it turned into a playing video. if phones just did that automatically without having to start up an app it'd be pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

rofl

i've seen a thing like that but you had to use layar but when you pointed at the code it turned into a playing video. if phones just did that automatically without having to start up an app it'd be pretty cool

there's basically only one model of phone that doesn't make it trivial to scan a qr code

it's the best and most popular one

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
the local bus system stopped putting schedules at each stop, instead each one has a qr code on it for a mobile-designed page for that stop with the next arrival time etc

one of the few intelligent uses of them I've seen

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

the local bus system stopped putting schedules at each stop, instead each one has a qr code on it for a mobile-designed page for that stop with the next arrival time etc

why not just provide both

how big is a qr code, like 2 square metres

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

i send this to people at work whenever somebody suggests using qr codes

the only transformative use of qr codes that i've ever seen ever was in a fireworks store. you could scan codes on the price labels to see a small video of what the fireworks looked like

the only time i've ever used a qr code was on my old company's intranet, which had contact details as a qr code so you could transfer details to your mobile, which sounds neat until you realise how much easier and better just properly implementing outlook's address book would have been

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

qntm posted:

why not just provide both

how big is a qr code, like 2 square metres

this way you have to scan a qr code and read a webpage to find out when the next bus should arrive, thereby reducing rider complaints about the schedule's inaccuracy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

lmao, that's hilariously anti-bus-customer (that is, anti-poor)

why not also charge $100 for a bus ticket and require all bus passengers to own an aston

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
it's actually not a bad idea because it means that they don't have to keep updating the signage when the schedules change, and some of the single-bus stops didn't used to have any schedules posted at all. the transfer stations still have the full printed schedules up, it's just the street stops that have the qr code thing

this is what one of the links looks like, it's pretty convenient since you don't have to interpret a schedule, it just says when the next bus is due

there's also a phone number you can call for people without smartphones, you enter the stop number (which is on the same sign as the qr code) and it gives you the same information

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I scanned a qr code on a bus stop once and got 2 free taquitos at 711 or something it was awesome

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Sagebrush posted:

then itd be entirely too easy to goatse people

please make this happen

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

augmented reality has crazy promise for showing people things they really didn't want to see

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

then itd be entirely too easy to goatse people

please make this happen

jesus christ where do i get a million goatse qr code stickers right now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

it's actually not a bad idea because it means that they don't have to keep updating the signage when the schedules change

by that standard not having signs means there's nothing to update too

cheaper than a qr code and just as inaccessible to people without smartphones

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Al! posted:

jesus christ where do i get a million goatse qr code stickers right now

unironically jakprints.com

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

augmented reality has crazy promise for showing people things they really didn't want to see

can't wait for google glass to start auto-scanning qr codes it sees and projecting them on your vision

definitely gonna need some goatse/meatspin/lemonparty stickers

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

does the Samsung reset qr still work?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

by that standard not having signs means there's nothing to update too

cheaper than a qr code and just as inaccessible to people without smartphones

thank you for editing out the part of my post which would render your complaint meaningless

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmao, that's hilariously anti-bus-customer (that is, anti-poor)

why not also charge $100 for a bus ticket and require all bus passengers to own an aston

we are fast approaching a world where nearly all poor people will have smartphones and data plans. i think it is more than a majority right now, this minute

while a smartphone w/ data can be quite expensive, it's not too bad compared to a computer AND an internet sub AND some kind of telephone. (and it will do more for the average person than all three of those things combined)

not having a smartphone, today, in 2013, is the province of the middle income family. not wealthy enough to have a smartphone forced on them by work, not poor enough to make a smartphone the essential mode of communicating with the internet

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we are fast approaching a world where nearly all poor people will have smartphones and data plans. i think it is more than a majority right now, this minute

while a smartphone w/ data can be quite expensive, it's not too bad compared to a computer AND an internet sub AND some kind of telephone. (and it will do more for the average person than all three of those things combined)

not having a smartphone, today, in 2013, is the province of the middle income family. not wealthy enough to have a smartphone forced on them by work, not poor enough to make a smartphone the essential mode of communicating with the internet

where did you copy paste this sad loving diatribe from

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dr. Honked posted:

where did you copy paste this sad loving diatribe from

makes sense to me

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just as soon as everyone has clean water, food, medical care and electricity, so any day now

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you actually mean world and not country

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

cell phones are cheaper and more accessible outside of america soooo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cell phones, yeah. not smartphones. the farmer in africa who has a wind-charged car battery powering his hut and relies on his phone to sell his produce and send money from his bank account does not want the sarnsung glaaxy s4 mega note with a 4 hour battery life

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

cell phones, yeah. not smartphones. the farmer in africa who has a wind-charged car battery powering his hut and relies on his phone to sell his produce and send money from his bank account does not want the sarnsung glaaxy s4 mega note with a 4 hour battery life

lol if thats how you think smartphones work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know what you're trying to say exactly but it sounds pretty irrelevant to my point which was that current smartphones are actually inferior to a dumbphone the way they get used in the developing world

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i don't know what you're trying to say exactly but it sounds pretty irrelevant to my point which was that current smartphones are actually inferior to a dumbphone the way they get used in the developing world

you know all those phone "recycling" companies? they just sell the phones on to the third world, which as a result is up to its balls in old-gen iphones and other smartphones. same goes for all the old gsm and 2.5g cell towers - you can throw them up next to the new roads and powerlines the chinese bought you and get an entire national telecomms infrastructure for the price of wiring up a single large town to a POTS.

there are plenty of places in the world where they don't have clean water or electricity but have passable mobile phone and internet coverage, and the reasons why the first-world poor have smartphones go double for the third world.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

we live in a crazy dystopian cyberpunk future

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
let me tell you about the poors *leans back into eams lounge, nibbles on slice of artisnal bespoke pizza and posts from gigantic shining sarnsnug phone tablet*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BooLoo posted:

let me tell you about the poors *leans back into eams lounge, nibbles on slice of artisnal bespoke pizza and posts from gigantic shining sarnsnug phone tablet*
            /

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Hi there,

This is a message from Kickstarter Support. We're writing to let you know that the process for The Fall of Nemesis: Clash of the Kaijujin's intellectual property dispute is now complete. The project is now available.

You can visit the project here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/kaiju-combat-giant-monsters-awesome-fighting-onlin?ref=email

Thanks so much for your patience,
Kickstarter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Hi there,

This is a message from Kickstarter Support. We're writing to let you know that the process for The Fall of Nemesis: Clash of the Kaijujin's intellectual property dispute is now complete. The project is now available.

You can visit the project here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/kaiju-combat-giant-monsters-awesome-fighting-onlin?ref=email

Thanks so much for your patience,
Kickstarter

Every individual Kaiju license (Gamera, Zone Fighter, Ultraman, etc.) will require a unique license agreement with the IP holder - Sunstone Games cannot predict which Kaiju will be easier or harder to sign agreements with, and thus we cannot guarantee a specific order in which we will be producing monsters associated with each license. We will, of course, be keeping everyone up to date on the design forums!

lol

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

i wanted a game about giant loving monsters beating the poo poo out of each other not lovely anime ip vs capcom 3

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

this does not apply to gamera though because gently caress yeh flying fire turtle

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pinball arcade does an entire 60k kickstarter for each IP they license

these chucklefucks have 100k

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

this is a really great application of sperging because they're making the most faithful copy they can of something that already exists

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also medieval madness owns because it has scott adsit and tina fey in it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

this is a really great application of sperging because they're making the most faithful copy they can of something that already exists
it's pretty great being able to learn the rules and quirks of a table before playing it irl. went to a tournament nearby out of curiosity (spoiler alert: pasty white 40 year old nerds inexplicably wearing cowboy hats) and i drained off the right ramp in TNG constantly, just like i do in pinball arcade. don't know how the gently caress people learned tables before video games

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lots of quarters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Al! posted:

like who outside of teenagers is impressed with the ability to open bottles at any time with your keychain

drunks

• Locked thread