Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Guitarchitect posted:

Further to that... Do any readers support tethered internet connections, so I could use my cell data plan if I'm not on a WiFi network?

USB tether, no.Wifi tether, yes -- it's just a wifi connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Guitarchitect posted:

hmmm... Well the whole reason I'm looking at the reader is because I'm feeling a lot of eyestrain/fatigue from looking at screens all day... And the last thing I want to do is have a tablet glaring in my face just before bed. Anyone have experience using calibre content server? Sounds like that is the newspaper/RSS solution...

Further to that... Do any readers support tethered internet connections, so I could use my cell data plan if I'm not on a WiFi network?

I've used calibre to automatically snatch/send newspapers and magazines. It works fairly well, especially when a recipe is already available in calibre. Leaving calibre running all the time can make it lock up if you have it running for days. But it still seems to snatch/send fine, but you won't be able to restore the window.

As far as tethering goes, only used wifi tethering and it works fine.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

When you say WiFi tethering, you mean that you set up your phone/device as a WiFi access point?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Guitarchitect posted:

When you say WiFi tethering, you mean that you set up your phone/device as a WiFi access point?

Yeah. I've done it before.

Edit: With a Kindle.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MC Hawking posted:

As a general warning if you're unable to purchase a Kobo directly from a physical retailer it would be in your best interest to get something else.

What you're describing in usage patterns sounds like you should just stick with a tablet. Go hunt Ebay for a used Nexus 7 and save yourself a boatload of headache.

Nexus 7 has issues in of itself. It's got some serious issues with speed. Mine is basically unusable despite resetting and using custom ROMs. Waste of money.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

rufius posted:

Nexus 7 has issues in of itself. It's got some serious issues with speed. Mine is basically unusable despite resetting and using custom ROMs. Waste of money.

Have you gotten LagFix? Apparently there was a problem in the past where disk space would be marked as cleared and it wasn't, or something. Even if you reflash or go to 4.1.2+ or something, those old sectors are still bad; LagFix is supposed to go back and manually fix them all.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

tarepanda posted:

Have you gotten LagFix? Apparently there was a problem in the past where disk space would be marked as cleared and it wasn't, or something. Even if you reflash or go to 4.1.2+ or something, those old sectors are still bad; LagFix is supposed to go back and manually fix them all.

Ah no, I hadn't heard of this. I'll go try that out tomorrow.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
e: Never mind, thought I was on the last page and I wasn't.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got the NookHD? It seems to be on sale this weekend, but reviews on it are mixed.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

MC Hawking posted:

As a general warning if you're unable to purchase a Kobo directly from a physical retailer it would be in your best interest to get something else.

Why is that?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone got the NookHD? It seems to be on sale this weekend, but reviews on it are mixed.
I got one for my Mom, the HD+ 16 GB (HD+ is the bigger one with the 9" screen, HD is 7"). I haven't used many other tablets, but people in the "Recommend me a tablet" thread say it's slow compared to the other options. It seems fine for light web browsing, email, and Netflix. I really like the screen, it's very sharp and colors are great.

The reason they're on sale is Barnes & Noble is getting out of the tablet manufacturing business (still planning to make e-readers though).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can anybody comment on iPad mini as an ebook reader? I have a Nook Simple Touch without GlowLight and wouldn't mind something with light. I'm shunning ebook readers in general because all of them suck rear end with maps and graphs, which is a lot of the history and non-fiction books I read.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I got one for my Mom, the HD+ 16 GB (HD+ is the bigger one with the 9" screen, HD is 7"). I haven't used many other tablets, but people in the "Recommend me a tablet" thread say it's slow compared to the other options. It seems fine for light web browsing, email, and Netflix. I really like the screen, it's very sharp and colors are great.

The reason they're on sale is Barnes & Noble is getting out of the tablet manufacturing business (still planning to make e-readers though).

So for movies, it's all right?

drat. That was quick for them to bail on tablets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They aren't technically bailing on tablets, they are bailing on manufacturing their own tablets.

There likely will be "Nook" branded tablets in the future, but they will be made by a outside manufacturer and rebranded. It will be "B&N Nook by Samsung" or some other manufacturer.

Also, the Nook android app got a pretty sizable update the other day. It now supports HD magazines on Android.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah I'm wondering if Microsoft is going to be involved. There were rumors about them buying up Nook in the past.

Cowslips Warren posted:

So for movies, it's all right?

drat. That was quick for them to bail on tablets.
Netflix works great, using the Netflix app on the stock software. For loading up .avis and stuff like that I'm not sure, you might ask in the Tablet megathread.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Microsoft has already put a pretty sizable investment in the Nook side of the business. If B&N ever divests themselves of Nook, Microsoft will likely take it over.

I'm really hoping in another 3 years or so none of this will matter and all books will be DRM free. The writing is on the wall (so to speak). Tor already said that going DRM free had no effect at all on their piracy rates. Just this past week, Image Comics (the 3rd largest distributor) went DRM free.

One by one, they are realizing the reality of the situation.

quote:

My stance on piracy is that piracy is bad for bad entertainment. There’s a pretty strong correlation with things that suck not being greatly pirated, while things that are successful have a higher piracy rate. If you put out a good comic book—even if somebody does download it illegally—if they enjoy it, then the likelihood of them purchasing the book is pretty high. Obviously we don’t want everybody giving a copy to a hundred friends, but this argument has been around since home taping was supposedly killing music back in the ’70s, and that didn’t happen. And I don’t think it’s happening now.

It happened for music and didn't collapse the industry, it's only a matter of time until it happens for books. What eReader you buy is going to depend on its feature set rather than the store attached to it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Can anybody comment on iPad mini as an ebook reader? I have a Nook Simple Touch without GlowLight and wouldn't mind something with light. I'm shunning ebook readers in general because all of them suck rear end with maps and graphs, which is a lot of the history and non-fiction books I read.

I was a diehard Kindle user until I got my Mini. It's almost as comfortable in bed as my paperwhite but, as you note, does way better at pics and maps. I'm a big history buff as well so the map thing is important. And it's a great tablet as well.

I still use my Paperwhite for novels though.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm really hoping in another 3 years or so none of this will matter and all books will be DRM free. The writing is on the wall (so to speak). Tor already said that going DRM free had no effect at all on their piracy rates.

I'm a little surprised by that to be honest. Tor ebooks aren't available for sale outside the U.S. IIRC, and the subject matter would stereotypically appeal to the sort of people for whom pirating would not be a difficult challenge. I would have expected they'd see a bit of piracy from Europe and Oceania.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, see, that's exactly it. The DRM serves as no challenge for piracy. It was zero deterrent. Piracy didn't increase because already the maximum number of people who would pirate it were doing so. As a result, why punish the people who purchase your product when making them jump through hoops doesn't affect piracy at all?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 5, 2013

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

bull3964 posted:

why punish the people who purchase your product when making them jump through hoops doesn't affect piracy at all?

Because publishers like acting like the government :v:

Happens in the game industry too. gently caress ubisoft.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

No, see, that's exactly it. The DRM serves as no challenge for piracy. It was zero deterrent. Piracy didn't increase because already the maximum number of people who would pirate it were doing so. As a result, why punish the people who purchase your product when making them jump through hoops doesn't affect piracy at all?

The average user isn't jumping through hoops. They turn on their ereader and use the store that's right there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

The average user isn't jumping through hoops. They turn on their ereader and use the store that's right there.
Or they pound sand as the store their eReader uses doesn't sell the title in which they're intrested.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

KingEup posted:

Why is that?

To boil down a long and convoluted story: Kobo has the single worst customer service experience I have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with. They flat out told me I could not purchase a device on their webpage and required me to send a screengrab of my credit card statement and order email to prove that I had sent them money.

Unless you can hand someone money for the device and walk away happy knowing that you'll never get it serviced if it breaks, don't buy a Kobo.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
You're right, of course - no impact on piracy isn't the same thing as no piracy, and you can't see a impact on sales in a marketplace where you're not competing. I'd misread the post.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Or they pound sand as the store their eReader uses doesn't sell the title in which they're intrested.

In the 6 years I've owned Kindles I've never encountered a book I wanted to buy that wasn't available on Amazon but was available on someone else's store.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

In the 6 years I've owned Kindles I've never encountered a book I wanted to buy that wasn't available on Amazon but was available on someone else's store.

I've had one, which was region locked on Amazon but Google Books would sell me a epub version from the same publisher I could convert.

I never figured out why.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Had a look at the Aura HD at Indigo tonight. I'm smitten. I like the light on it a lot better than the Glo, I just wish it had a nicer material on the back. Anyone know of a sleep cover made out of a nice material? The one they had in the store sucked.

Not 100% sold yet, but the desire is definitely rising...

Once thing I find lacking in Ebooks though is the design side - since you can configure your own font and everything about it, do publishers bother to design the ebooks? That's half the beauty of a nice hardcover - someone has taken the time to properly lay it out, think about the font, and design the chapter headers + layout + everything.

Also, a side note - it still boggles my mind that I can't get an ebook for like $2 if I buy a copy of it. Film studios finally got around to offering free digital downloads when you purchase a film, when will book publishers catch up?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Install Gentoo posted:

Until they decide that they want an eReader that's not the same store as their last one.

This is about preventing vendor lock in. One of the people's biggest question about eReaders right now is "what happens if I want to buy a different eReader?" Right now, the answer is a resounding "You can't leave the store you started with and keep your books." There's no real portability right now. We have pseudo-portability in the form of apps for respective platforms, but you are still relying on the vendor you bought your books from for continued reading of those books. This has never, ever, worked out well in the long run.

If Amazon does a hardware refresh and for whatever reason you hate what they've come up with, tough poo poo if you need to replace your eReader. It's bad for the eReader market and it's bad for the eBook market. There can never be true competition for either until DRM is gone.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Amazon has consistently proven themselves to be awesome, I'm sorry dude. People stick to what they have regardless of explicit lock-in, because switching always means you have to learn things over again and get used to new ways of doing things.

Supported portability isn't necessary. The people who actually need it are 99% the people who know how to pirate or crack.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not about to be drawn into another "Install Gentoo loves Amazon more than any member of his family" debate.

DRM doesn't work. It's harmful to the market. It needs to be eradicated. Period.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

People stick to what they have regardless of explicit lock-in, because switching always means you have to learn things over again and get used to new ways of doing things.
I don't disagree. Once folks make a significant investment into a particular ecosystem there's a lot of inertia against switching away from it. Although I argue it should be possible (and lawful) to switch, even if it's inconvenient.

Install Gentoo posted:

Supported portability isn't necessary. The people who actually need it are 99% the people who know how to pirate or crack.
That's a silly argument though. DRM shouldn't be default "just because", people should be free to move around (or otherwise do as they please) with their purchased content, even if the vast majority of folks won't.

Honestly DRM is really nothing more than a nuisance at this point. It certainly has no effect on wide-scale piracy. It may reduce casual copying, but probably not. Even in terms of less-advertised advantages (enforcing vendor lock-in, as an advantage to vendors), perhaps it had some relevance in the early days of ebooks to firmly establish the dominant ecosystems, but now that those are established, there's questionable benefit here too.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

I have! I don't live in America, so a lot of Kindle books aren't available in my region and I end up having to email the author to complain about Amazon's shady region-DRM practises.

But apart from that, Amazon is actually pretty groovy.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Odette posted:

I have! I don't live in America, so a lot of Kindle books aren't available in my region and I end up having to email the author to complain about Amazon's shady region-DRM practises.

I'm pretty sure that's a publisher imposed restriction - Amazon would be pretty happy to take your money regardless of where you might be.

quote:

But apart from that, Amazon is actually pretty groovy.

Thue, that.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bull3964 posted:

I'm really hoping in another 3 years or so none of this will matter and all books will be DRM free. The writing is on the wall (so to speak). Tor already said that going DRM free had no effect at all on their piracy rates. Just this past week, Image Comics (the 3rd largest distributor) went DRM free.

One by one, they are realizing the reality of the situation.

Hey I hope this happens too, but it's kinda premature to say one-by-one they're changing when exactly two independent publishers have dropped DRM for their digital goods. Purchases that are far outside their dominant ecosystems to boot.

(Image Comics isn't the 3rd largest "distributor" by any means. They are arguably the 3rd largest publisher of North American comics.)

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 5, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

I'm not about to be drawn into another "Install Gentoo loves Amazon more than any member of his family" debate.

DRM doesn't work. It's harmful to the market. It needs to be eradicated. Period.

It's stupid easy to break any ebook DRM. You still need to convert the file if you're going from Amazon -> everybody else or vis versa.

It's a non-issue.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 5, 2013

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's stupid easy to break any ebook DRM. You still need to convert the file if your going from Amazon -> everybody else or vis versa.

It's a non-issue.

B&N DRM is especially easy to break, since the key is only the credit card number you used buy the book. It's almost as if they're trying to make it easy for you.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Vegetable posted:

Since other people have already commented, I'll just add that you might want to wait until Apple does its September product launches - there's a chance the Mini will upgrade to a Retina display. The current Mini is pretty great overall, but its screen resolution is inferior to a Nexus 7, much less the 9.7-inch iPad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sperg Victorious posted:

B&N DRM is especially easy to break, since the key is only the credit card number you used buy the book. It's almost as if they're trying to make it easy for you.

If they're really using your credit card number as the key, that may be a financial data security risk

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's stupid easy to break any ebook DRM. You still need to convert the file if you're going from Amazon -> everybody else or vis versa.

It's a non-issue.
Yeah there's this too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's precisely because it's so easy to crack that makes it an issue. It is completely and totally ineffectual to piracy.

eBook DRM has never stopped any pirate (whether it be distributing or downloading a book.) eBook DRM HAS stopped at least one person from enjoying their purchased books in a lawful way.

That, right there, is all the reason there needs to be to eliminate DRM. It's easy to say that "it's so easy that it doesn't matter", but there's a huge subset of people out there that know how to copy files to a device plugged into their computer that would be hopelessly lost trying to go through the steps to crack DRM.

Another reason why openly endorsing the portability of files matters is the content providers themselves are putting up even more roadblocks to actually GET the files. If you use Kindle for PC, you can get at the AZW files. If you use Kindle App for Windows 8, good luck. The files are split up into .fragment files that no one has quite figured out how to use yet. If that's not a clear sign of things to come, I don't know what else is. It's likely only a matter of time until they eliminate the full PC client and make you choose between the cloud reader or the Win8 app, making it harder to actually get at the files to convert.

This, at least, is one thing that B&N is doing right. Sign into your account on the web and go to your Library and every book there has a non-nonsense download link. If that book happens to be DRM free, there are no additional hoops to jump through to get the file working anywhere you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

smr posted:

I was a diehard Kindle user until I got my Mini. It's almost as comfortable in bed as my paperwhite but, as you note, does way better at pics and maps. I'm a big history buff as well so the map thing is important. And it's a great tablet as well.

I still use my Paperwhite for novels though.

Nihiliste posted:

Since other people have already commented, I'll just add that you might want to wait until Apple does its September product launches - there's a chance the Mini will upgrade to a Retina display. The current Mini is pretty great overall, but its screen resolution is inferior to a Nexus 7, much less the 9.7-inch iPad.
Thank you guys, this was helpful. I'll keep an eye out for the new iPad mini.