Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Carthag posted:

They don't necessarily know which takes will be used during filming.

No but you know which order the scenes are going to be used in. At the end of each take off scene 7, cigarette of actor A is 1/2 smoked. At the start of each take off scene 8 oh god I can't believe I'm sperging about cigarette length in scene continuity kill me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Cakefool posted:

No but you know which order the scenes are going to be used in. At the end of each take off scene 7, cigarette of actor A is 1/2 smoked. At the start of each take off scene 8 oh god I can't believe I'm sperging about cigarette length in scene continuity kill me now.

This may surprise you, but movie scenes generally are not filmed in sequential order!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Have the actor hold like 11 cigarettes of varying length for each take and then edit out the non-sequential ones in post.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cakefool posted:

I work in continuity in actual films. What you're proposing would be a nightmare that only the most insanely detail-oriented director would do. Plus, sometimes the editor/director decides to play with the order stuff is shot in. Or maybe the two camera angles are shot months apart, the cigarettes used in the first half of shooting are long since smoked and we just don't have time to wait to get that cigarette smoked halfway through and we're about to lose the light and holy gently caress hurry up those clouds are closing in go go go ACTION!

:suicide:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bam smoking in films. Also ban actors from growing hair, being exposed to the sun and I'm sure there's other stuff. Yeah, I don't work in films, you can tell right? :haw:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

At some point in the film have either two characters, or an advert, an informercial or something, that says "thank god we invented the regrowing cigarette, but boy are they temperamental"

Immersion restored.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

At some point in the film have either two characters, or an advert, an informercial or something, that says "thank god we invented the regrowing cigarette, but boy are they temperamental"

Immersion restored.

Holy poo poo

:master:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm fully for that. Add a few scenes of a dude looking down at his cigarette, sighing, and poking and tapping at it in frustration to really seal the deal.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

The stucco ceiling is pretty great. Who would think of that? I like the callback to "FART" that Glen's kid scribbled on the wall earlier, much like the like the palm-ade in the restroom, the constant going back and retrieval of the Dr. Spock book, and "what's he need, his Dip-Tet?" There's a lot of really clever callbacks to dialogue that was spoken or props that were placed around earlier in the film; the grenades on Small's vest, the hole in the ground, the way H.I. calmly and specifically browses for Huggies brand diapers in the midst of committing an armed robbery and, of course, the road runner tattoo, which I suppose isn't all that subtle, but whatever.

It is a Mr. Horsepower tattoo, not the road runner.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Speaking of continuity errors, in Memento, one of the digits in a plot-important license plate number switches from I to 1 and back several times, further emphasizing the movie's "memory is unreliable" theme.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I feel stupid because it's not even slightly hidden, but in Fight Club, as the Project Mayhem stuff is beginning to start, but before the full extent of it is ever revealed, the bus drops the narrator off at his front door.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just watched Avengers last night, not exactly hitchcock-subtle but I realised at the end that all the letters had been knocked off the Stark tower except the A, the Avengers logo.

vv I see what you did there :rolleyes:

cakesmith handyman has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Jun 30, 2013

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not really "subtle" per se, but I was watching The Dark Knight last night and noticed Batman's costume actually has a vague resemblance to an animal called the "bat."

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Not really "subtle" per se, but I was watching Batman and Robin, and noticed that Mr. freeze makes a lot of cold-related puns.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Not really "subtle" per se, but people seem to be having a piss at this thread by using intentionally obvious things in their posts.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It's not exactly "subtle" but in The Matrix movies, Keanu Reeves is a lovely actor.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It's not exactly "subtle", but the title Man of Steel refers to the main character's superhuman strength.

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's not exactly "subtle" but in The Matrix movies, Keanu Reeves is a lovely actor.
Whoa.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
It's probably not really "subtle" but no this is not a flashlight in my pocket

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's a b in subtle! :aaa:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Urdnot Fire posted:

It's not exactly "subtle", but the title Man of Steel refers to the main character's superhuman strength.
Whoa.

It's not exactly subtle, but at the cinema the other week, there seemed to be 2-second trailers for the new Wolverine movie that emphasised "stronger than iron" and "stronger than steel".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In Captain America, when Red Skull finds the Tesseract at the beginning he says "and the Fuhrer digs for trinkets in the desert". I'm sure there's a historical basis for this line but I like to think that it's an Indiana Jones joke.

VV Yeah, I knew there was some WW2 fought in North Africa. I meant artifact-hunting in that area specifically.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jul 1, 2013

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
There is! German forces invaded North Africa in 1941 and were eventually pushed out towards the end of 1942. The campaign was essentially a failure as they were weakened by long supply lines and a well-stocked British army.

:goonsay:

Content: In World War Z there's a (lite spoilers)POW in South Korea who says North Koreans have repelled the zombies because the government ripped out the population's teeth to prevent them from chomping on people. The POW's teeth have also been ripped off.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

N. Senada posted:

There is! German forces invaded North Africa in 1941 and were eventually pushed out towards the end of 1942. The campaign was essentially a failure as they were weakened by long supply lines and a well-stocked British army.

:goonsay:

Content: In World War Z there's a (lite spoilers)POW in South Korea who says North Koreans have repelled the zombies because the government ripped out the population's teeth to prevent them from chomping on people. The POW's teeth have also been ripped off.

During this campaign, Hitler was known to take his trusty metal detector and wander the desert for hours in his official Nazishorts, but all he ever seemed to find were old soda pull-tabs and $0.43 in assorted change.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Baron von Eevl posted:

During this campaign, Hitler was known to take his trusty metal detector and wander the desert for hours in his official Nazishorts, but all he ever seemed to find were old soda pull-tabs and $0.43 in assorted change.

WIR NICHT SCHEIßE GEFUNDEN!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: The "combing the desert" joke works just as well in German as it does in English.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Fun fact: The "combing the desert" joke works just as well in German as it does in English.
It works in Spanish too. To be honest, of all languages I'd never have thought it'd work in German!

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Is Tim Russ's line in Space Balls just as funny in foreign dubs?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
More specifically what I want to know is how the foreign dubs/subs handle his use of slang. Do they shift into a different dialect? Do they get messy with the grammar? Do they simply use a different accent? Rural or city? How effective are these changes?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ninja Gamer posted:

Is Tim Russ's line in Space Balls just as funny in foreign dubs?
If you're watching it as a kid with no grasp of English, hell yes (you're probably still giggling your rear end off at the visual gag anyway). If you know the original, "there isn't even poo poo here, sir" leaves something to be desired.

No local slang in the German version, then. I'd like to think it's because they realized there's really no equivalent but more likely they knocked out the dub on a budget and between two other translation jobs the same week.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

More specifically what I want to know is how the foreign dubs/subs handle his use of slang. Do they shift into a different dialect? Do they get messy with the grammar? Do they simply use a different accent? Rural or city? How effective are these changes?

Often it's just lost in translation, but they did something like this in Airplane! In the german dub of the "I speak jive" scene (http://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s?t=1m0s) they instead gave the two guys an incredibly thick bavarian accent. It's probably even more unintelligible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEkI0cH_rK4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm such a sperg that I went and checked when soda pull tabs were invented, turns out it was in 1959.

IMMERSION RUINED. :saddowns:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jerusalem posted:

There's a b in subtle! :aaa:

Next you'll be telling me there's a way to pronounce "schedule" without a k!

In all seriousness, Hammond does it in Jurassic Park while talking to Grant and Ellie in their trailer. He pronounces it the British way first, but then corrects himself and uses the American pronunciation.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Raising Arizona is full of little things and subtle moments. It's even one of the main themes of the film: "it's a hard world for little things."
I've never seen Raising Arizona, so I'm curious -- "It's a hard world for little things" is a line from The Night of the Hunter. Are there other Night of the Hunter references in the movie?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've never seen Raising Arizona, so I'm curious -- "It's a hard world for little things" is a line from The Night of the Hunter. Are there other Night of the Hunter references in the movie?

Not that I know of, beyond that line, but it reminds me a little bit of the themes of No Country for Old Men and A Simple Man, come to think of it. Also, go watch Raising Arizona right now. In fact, go watch every Coen Brothers movie and report back to the thread.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BiggerBoat posted:

Not that I know of, beyond that line, but it reminds me a little bit of the themes of No Country for Old Men and A Simple Man, come to think of it. Also, go watch Raising Arizona right now. In fact, go watch every Coen Brothers movie and report back to the thread.

I just watched The Night of the Hunter a couple days ago, actually, so now I want to go back and watch Raising Arizona again. Well, I do anyway because the Coen brothers are the best, but even beyond that now!

Now, the movie doesn't come out and say as much, but I believe that Toy Story 2 has some pretty strong hints that Woody originally belonged to Andy's father or grandfather and was passed down to him. (Or somebody else in the family, but since Andy's father is never seen or mentioned, Woody might be his only tangible connection to his son, explaining why Woody is so important to Andy.)

First, Woody's Roundup was super-popular in the black-and-white TV days, but it's stated that kids' interests switched to space when Sputnik was launched in 1957. So, presumably, Andy's grandfather as a kid could have picked a Woody doll up when the merchandise was everywhere in the mid-fifties and passed it down, before it became a rare collectible.

Andy's mom also calls Woody "an old family toy" when Al tries to buy him at a yard sale.

Last, when Woody, Jessie, and Bullseye are going through Al's Woody collection and find the turntable, Woody says, "A record player! I haven't seen one of those in ages."

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

Perestroika posted:

Often it's just lost in translation, but they did something like this in Airplane! In the german dub of the "I speak jive" scene (http://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s?t=1m0s) they instead gave the two guys an incredibly thick bavarian accent. It's probably even more unintelligible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEkI0cH_rK4

That's awesome.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
re: Space Balls, Combing the desert

The first two crews of white soldiers are using wide Acme combs, but the last pair of the two black guys are using an afro comb.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Last, when Woody, Jessie, and Bullseye are going through Al's Woody collection and find the turntable, Woody says, "A record player! I haven't seen one of those in ages."
I heard that the Woody's Roundup Memorabilia scene was recorded ad-lib, with the Pixar guys showing Tom Hanks the mock-ups of those toys and him reacting naturally to the props, so that might not have been particularly intentional?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

deoju posted:

re: Space Balls, Combing the desert

The first two crews of white soldiers are using wide Acme combs, but the last pair of the two black guys are using an afro comb.

That wasn't exactly subtle. And by "not subtle" I mean that was the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

VoidBurger posted:

I heard that the Woody's Roundup Memorabilia scene was recorded ad-lib, with the Pixar guys showing Tom Hanks the mock-ups of those toys and him reacting naturally to the props, so that might not have been particularly intentional?

Oh, huh, I didn't know that. Probably not, then, if that's the case, but it still works nicely in favor of my theory :pseudo: