Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
Oh yea I remember that. I got it to stop doing that by playing it in that beta scaler dx 9 mode in fullscreen. It still played wonky in window with those settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bringing up stick talk for a minute, is there someone around who's particularly knowledgeable in modding a PS3 stick around? Preferably with PMs or or somesuch so I don't have to poo poo up the thread with dumb questions.

Mainly, I'm just curious how badly having a custom button layout will gently caress up my PS360+ installation process.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 30, 2013

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
You plug the wire that was going to go into the default button into a different button.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

S-Alpha posted:

Bringing up stick talk for a minute, is there someone around who's particularly knowledgeable in modding a PS3 stick around? Preferably with PMs or or somesuch so I don't have to poo poo up the thread with dumb questions.

Mainly, I'm just curious how badly having a custom button layout will gently caress up my installation process.

PM me. I've dual modded my PS3 MLG TE with a PS360+, and used a 6 button layout for a while. (Went back to an 8 button though)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

40 OZ posted:

You plug the wire that was going to go into the default button into a different button.

I just left the R2 and L2 wires unplugged. :shrug: worked fine for me.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I just left the R2 and L2 wires unplugged. :shrug: worked fine for me.

Yeah, because you didn't want those buttons. You didn't plug them in, because there were no buttons for the wire to go to.

He just said "Custom Button Layout" which i took to mean the buttons would be arranged in a manner that was not default. So the wire that would go to default button should be plugged into another button.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Triple post, but SSFIV AE is 7.50 on Steam today. Worth grabbing? I got it for free with PS+, but wouldn't mind have a PC version to screw around with.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If you like SF and want to dick around on the PC, why wouldn't it be a good deal?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

40 OZ posted:

He just said "Custom Button Layout" which i took to mean the buttons would be arranged in a manner that was not default. So the wire that would go to default button should be plugged into another button.

Yeah, I've set mine up for anime/airdasher games, which I play way more often than games with SF layouts. But the lack of wiring labels bothers me, and I wanted consult someone who knows what's up first before I hosed around with expensive equipment.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

kaujot posted:

If you like SF and want to dick around on the PC, why wouldn't it be a good deal?

Capcom doesnt have a great track record with pc ports. Didnt know if it was super lovely or anything

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Just decided to pick up blazblue continuum shift extended for the 300. Anyone play this online?

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.

Capcom doesnt have a great track record with pc ports. Didnt know if it was super lovely or anything

SFIV was made for arcade hardware that's basically a Windows XP PC in really big box. There's no problems with it (and the data files were left lying around in AE, so you can download costume/gameplay mods or create ridiculous moveset swaps)

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Also, every current gen Capcom PC port has been amazing. The days of lovely outsourced DMC3 and RE4 are long gone.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Doesn't AE go in sale for $5 during every steam summer sale?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pandaK posted:

$7.49 is the lowest its ever been on Steam, and I can't find any record of it being cheaper anywhere else.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

pandaK posted:

No, $10/7.50 (at 75% off) has been the usual price so far.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

It's the top seller in Steam right now, should regenerate the playerbase a bit.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
I play mostly on 360, but once in awhile I'll play on the PC and the community is healthy, and I have no problems getting any games.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The PC community is pretty stable but there's a lot of bad players who play in a bubble and it seems like the good players who have it on PC hardly play probably because it's so hard to find other decent players and everybody has really inflated points.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I just sent this to S-Alpha in PM, but figured that other people might be wondering about this.

All the PS360+ install guides online seem to just talk about installing it into a 360 stick, but it also works great for a PS3 stick (like mine). The biggest difference is that all the wires for a 360 stick are labeled very nicely and its super easy to do.

On a PS3 stick, there are no labels. At all. So when I installed mine, I basically just tried each wire, trial and error, until I found the two ground wires. Once those were sorted out, I basically plugged a wire in, plugged in the stick into SSF4AE, and tried the button, then moved the wire accordingly. This took a long loving time.

Here is a picture I took today of my stick, with everything labeled. This is a Madcatz MLG TE stick. Hopefully this helps someone out.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Some more FG beginner questions about learning a new game/character: are the devs expecting me to figure out and memorize all the chains or am I expected to go online and spoil myself, and ditto for which moves (especially normals) are unsafe? Even if I had the info, I can't imagine memorizing which normals I can punish for every opposing character.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Some more FG beginner questions about learning a new game/character: are the devs expecting me to figure out and memorize all the chains or am I expected to go online and spoil myself, and ditto for which moves (especially normals) are unsafe? Even if I had the info, I can't imagine memorizing which normals I can punish for every opposing character.

You're supposed to read up on the character's movelist, yeah. (Calling it "spoiling" is a bit weird, it's more like learning the rules really.)

Don't worry about stuff like character-specific punishes; as you keep playing, you'll naturally start to understand and get a feel for the system, and you'll gradually figure out or learn matchup-specific tricks. Get the basics down first: know all of your character's moves, and at least a couple of simple combos. As you play, you'll naturally start having questions like "I keep losing against Sagats playing keepaway, what can I do," and that's when you'll want to look deeper into your character's bag of tricks.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 1, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Hahahaha... yes that's basically what you're expected to do if you want to "master" a fighting game. Usually your character will have normals specifcally to punish certain situations (i.e. anti-air) - your low-damage, low-range normals such as jabs will be safe or even positive on block, while the stronger or longer ranged normals will be negative on block either allowing for an outright punish or at least reversing the momentum.

For the most part you can get very good at fighting games without ever looking at frame data - but sometimes it's just really nice to know, for a fact, that you can always punish certain moves with a combo or a dp.

To be honest something that I found way more discouraging at first was how combos can hit different on small/large characters - but over time I got used to juggling all of that knowledge at once. The nice thing is once you're used to thinking in such a way, it gets easier and easier to pick up new games or new mechanics.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Ashenai posted:

You're supposed to read up on the character's movelist, yeah. (Calling it "spoiling" is a bit weird, it's more like learning the rules really.)

I may be using the wrong terminology here. In the Skullgirls tutorial they explained that there were chains (or just a chain?) for each of the characters with their normals, specials, etc. on there, and that you could combo from any move to any other move later in that chain. That's the mechanic that I can't find the info on inside the game and on the Skullgirls website. If we're talking about special moves then those are easy enough to find in the game menu.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You're correct, aside from the couple contained in the tutorial there are no combo lists ingame. Figure it out in training or search online for your character's combo like everyone else.

You mentioned liking Cerebella, so here's an easy combo that does pretty decent damage (c. means crouching, j. means while jumping):

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp
j.lk, j.hk
c.lk, c.mp, c.hp
j.mp, j.mk, j.hp

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
It's extremely uncommon that you need to know frame data to punish blocked normals (unless you're playing Tekken from what I've heard). Understanding hitboxes and what space each character can control is way more important than anything you'll get out of frame data and the best way to learn that is by playing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Short answer is yes, but not even top-level players know everything by heart, so don't fret about learning all the frame datas and punishes and max-damage character-specific combos.

Just memorize a couple of basic combos (or BnBs, bread and butters as we call them) and keep in mind a couple of things: weak attacks are usually unpunishable and really fast, heavy attacks are usually slow and leave a space for you to punish/hit a weak attack afterwards; super moves, flash kicks (charge down, up motions) and dragon punches (anything with a Shoryuken motion) are VERY punishable and you should never throw them willy-nilly; if your combos start with a string of jabs/lights/shorts/anything weak and fast, you have time to check if you hit the other guy and stop the combo before you hit one of your more punishable attacks.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Mattavist posted:

You're correct, aside from the couple contained in the tutorial there are no combo lists ingame. Figure it out in training or search online for your character's combo like everyone else.

You mentioned liking Cerebella, so here's an easy combo that does pretty decent damage (c. means crouching, j. means while jumping):

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp
j.lk, j.hk
c.lk, c.mp, c.hp
j.mp, j.mk, j.hp

Thanks, this thread is very fast moving and informative :)

I never doubted that I could find every combo listed online, I guess a better way to have phrased my question is "is reading online lists of combos for my character the recommended way to learn their combos (specifically for a beginner player)?"

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
You'd probably be just as well served by experimenting in training mode and figuring out for yourself some combos you can pull off. Then later on when you start to feel like you're limited by your combo damage, look up some better ones online and get them down.

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!

Thanks, this thread is very fast moving and informative :)

I never doubted that I could find every combo listed online, I guess a better way to have phrased my question is "is reading online lists of combos for my character the recommended way to learn their combos (specifically for a beginner player)?"

You want to start off with simpler combos. A lot of stuff you find online is gonna be optimized and pretty hard to do, so you might want to look for BnB's, like the earlier poster said. Break the combo down into smaller pieces, then put them together. The general idea is that you want to get those combos into muscle memory, so you won't have to actively think about individual button presses. Getting simpler combos down really well before moving onto complex stuff will be a lot less frustrating than jumping into the deep end right off.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

I may be using the wrong terminology here. In the Skullgirls tutorial they explained that there were chains (or just a chain?) for each of the characters with their normals, specials, etc. on there, and that you could combo from any move to any other move later in that chain. That's the mechanic that I can't find the info on inside the game and on the Skullgirls website. If we're talking about special moves then those are easy enough to find in the game menu.

It goes like this:

In Skullgirls and the Marvel series, any normal cancels into a harder normal. So LP > MP > HP, LK > HK, MK > HP, etc. Some characters can do more than that, but generally it goes from light to hard as a universal rule. No memorization required.

Also, any normal (or throw, in Skullgirls!) cancels into any special. And you can cancel anything into a super except for another super.

So this--

Is a chain! And you didn't have to do any memorization or dial-a-combos! Finally, yes, theoretically you could improvise your combos during fights with freedom like this, but most players choose to practice things because it holds up better under pressure if you do.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
A lot of the time, improvising comes down to knowing which bit of a combo you can do if you land a hit at a random point. If you break down your bigger combos into components (e.g. this is the bit I do after the launcher, this is how I finish my air combo, etc.) then if you get a lucky hit that doesn't start with how you would usually start your combos, you can improvise a couple of hits to get them into the right position so you can continue with the second half of a combo you're comfortable with.

The main example I would jump to would be back when I was picking up proper FG fundamentals in the first BlazBlue.

A bread and butter combo with the character "Nu" was:
5DD 4DD 236D RC (rapid cancel, a move in some games to spend meter to cancel the recovery of your attack) 5DD 6DD 2DD j.DD dj.2DD dj.214D

I put the 6DD in bold because that's a move you can use as a far-range anti-air if the opponent wants to airdash in. Since you can sometimes land it as a lucky hit, I thought of everything after that as the "second half" of that one combo, meaning that if I landed 6DD as the first hit of a combo, I would just recite the second half of the listed combo rather than thinking I need to memorise a separate set of moves for that anti air compared to the full ground-starting combo.

edit: Okay that's too many words and makes less sense written down than I expected. Basically, all I'm saying is that if a combo seems huge, break it down into little jigsaw pieces that you can piece together. You'd be surprised at how many of a character's best combos will re-use the same pieces.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pockyless posted:

VF5 netcode isnt very good but tekkens is amazing.

VF5 netcode is pretty amazing. The issue is theres so few players you'll likely getting matched to a different continent :/

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Capcom has actually been making really good PC versions for the past 5 years. The main issues have been sometimes long waits after the console release and not always getting the additional content.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speaking of, did the big SFxTK patch for PC ever materialized?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of, did the big SFxTK patch for PC ever materialized?

Yeah it got 2013, but the netcode is still super stuttery in most cases

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Tekken Revolution hit one million downloads, so they're patching in two more characters/training mode/anime dress up shop.
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2013/7/1/tekken-revolution-surpasses-1-million-psn-downloads-jin-xiao.html

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

PrBacterio posted:

On that note, I've been meaning to pick up VF5 one of these days, seeing how DoA has traditionally been my favourite fighting game franchise and is generally considered to be a "Virtua Fighter Light" ... what IS a good starting character in VF?

Taka is the absolutely most beginner friendly character in the game (he also happens to be quite strong, one of the best in the game). He's heavy as hell which equates to quite a bit of damage protection (normal combos do not work on him). His throws do ridiculous damage, he essentially only has one combo you need to learn, because it works the same on (almost) every character and off nearly all his combo starters. Speaking of combo starters, he has the best (and easiest to use) hit confirm-able string in the game, and it's a double-mid to boot (trust me this is huge). Dude's a beast.

Other great beginner characters in no particular order: Lau, Goh, Jeffry, Jacky - I'd also recommend Jean to a slightly lesser extent (his guard break is a slightly tricky execution requirement, and is a big part of his game)

Really, play whoever you want. The stance-heavy characters like Lei Fei, Sarah, Shun, or Brad (to name a few) are characters I would steer beginners away from but really when you boil them down they are pretty simple. You need to understand the game pretty well before you can do that though so I'd really recommend one of the dudes I listed above, if you're an absolute beginner, in order to minimize confusion. I'd definitely advise a beginner against picking up Kage though, he has some execution requirements that will absolutely frustrate a new player.

I'd also recommend when going through a character's move list to pretty much ignore every part that involves doing some kind of stance transition; like a string that does like P P P+K+G to go into a stance or whatever. These transitions tend not to be useful (let alone critical) except in specific situations or other special cases. So you can pretty much safely ignore them when you're starting out, which is nice because it trims the move list down by a LOT (Jean's movelist becomes hilariously small when you take out all the charge jank).

P.S. Go here http://virtuafighter.com/ to learn cool stuff about the game, the combo lists are especially handy (start with combos that work on every character). I've heard the Jeffry list is particularly well done...

Trykt fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 1, 2013

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Spuckuk posted:

VF5 netcode is pretty amazing. The issue is theres so few players you'll likely getting matched to a different continent :/

It's really not. Especially in a game where hit checking is such an important and fundamental concept, the delay based netcode is really frustrating if you play offline even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
As delay-based netcode goes it's not thaaaaat bad. VF5FS is totally playable as long as you get matched same-continent.

Realistically though I'm inclined to be apologetic for this game because I like VF a lot.

• Locked thread